Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Revol posted:

All I'm trying to say is... if the consumer has the option between a $1 Angry Birds game or an $8 Mario game, they're likely to choose Angry Birds. But if that Mario game is instead $3, I think Nintendo is going to sell a lot more of the game, and make more money in the end.

Its priced the way it is for a good reason. If they made SMW only $1 it would get a lot more sales for sure, but 8x as many sales? Actually they had to sell 9x as many copies to make a bigger profit.

I'd honestly still buy just as many VC games as I do now if the price was lower. Having looked at my play history on my Wii and seeing games I paid $5-$8 for that I only played for less than half an hour makes me really consider all my purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Just keep buying VC games if you think the price is fair and don't buy them if you don't. I am strongly in the "VC prices are ridiculous" camp so it's the second option for me but these discussions never lead to anything.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Too much complaining about prices, so little video games. Dare I try to excuse the pricing? No, but if it's a game I love enough I'll pay 8 dollars for it and play it. I've had much worst purchases with things like food to be mad at a 5/8 dollars video game that's 10-15 years old and that I know I won't dislike. Plus, while I know some people like to collect consoles and the original cartridges, this is much more convenient for me, them being digital and all.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The situation isn't as hopeless this time either, as sales can and will occur (with the Famicom 30th Anniversary sale preceding the launch of the VC proper, even.) I mean, poo poo, there's still stuff on Steam that sits at the 40 dollar mark for quite some time, but the frequent sales tend to mitigate that.

Not that the eShop will definitely end up like Steam, but it likely won't be the stagnant pool that is the Wii Shop, either.

5-10 dollars is high for a lot of the games they offer at those prices, but on the other hand it's more than worth it for certain others, and a loving steal for a select few. Even if things come out at the default price there's at least a little wiggle room this time around.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That panorama view-thingy is really cool. Like really loving amazing cool. If you show that to your neighbour\parents\priest it will blow their mind. But it's not 16 kroner-cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are little easter eggs in the different panoramas, too - there's a Loch Ness monster off the side of one of the bridges in the London panorama, for example.

If you ever wanted to sell the Wii U to non-gamers, Panorama View is the app to do it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you ever wanted to sell the Wii U to non-gamers, Panorama View is the app to do it.

This is the truth right here. Nintendo needs to push it hard. It's like all of the physics puzzles/toys you showed your friends on iOS back when they were new. Such a great way to get people really interested in learning about the console.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 2):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    PAC-MAN (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Mega Man (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until April 30
    Puddle (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until May 2
    Kirby's Adventure (VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until May 16
    Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U eShop) - 50% off all Marvel table packs from May 2-9

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    My Riding Stables 3D: Jumping For The Team - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS eSHOP
    Picdun 2: Witch's Curse - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Champions of Yore #1 (Marth, difficulty *) - free until May 19, normal price €1.99 / £1.79
  • Champions of Yore Pack (Marth, Roy [difficulty *] and Micaiah [**]) - €3.49 / £2.99 until May 19, normal price €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Balloon Fight (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Ice Climbers (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
    Mario & Yoshi (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
    Super C (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Publisher Dream - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS Retail Download) - €24.99 / £19.99 until May 2
    Marvel Pinball 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £2.99 from May 2-9
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
No mention of being American versions of Mega Man or Pac Man in the press release, either. Guess we're back to good ol' 50hz goodness.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've been buying quite a few digital goods lately in situations where owning a physical copy was an option. This is not normal for me, because I like having a tangible product for several reasons: 1) I like having a collection, 2) I like the idea that I can sell the game once I am done with it, and 3) I like the idea that I don't have to worry about some activation server existing in 10 years for me to still be able to play my game.

However I also like: 1) not having to look for discs every time I want to play a game, 2) saving wear-and-tear on my laser, and 3) especially with the 3DS, having all of my games available right from a single device for bringing it around. I typically have modded all of my consoles since the PS2 for the sole purpose of ripping my collection to hard drives, but now that I have the option of legally doing so, I enjoy doing it that way. I feel like the company profits more from me more as well, which I like contributing to.

However, I realized the other day when turning my DSiXL on, that there is literally no way to get Zelda: Four Sword Adventures on the system. I missed the window of when it was available, and yeah I'm an idiot and should have grabbed it, but I forgot to. Now it's gone, permanently, and there's no way to get it, and this is what's giving me some restraint from really getting into the digital purchase world. I know it's spergy but if my 3DS breaks in the somewhat distant future, I am completely screwed out of ever playing many of those games again (quite literally with something like Pushmo).

I figured I'm spergin' way too hard and that hackers would have a great way of preserving this stuff, but I just checked and there's no way, even with a flashcart, to play DSi games on my DSi. No one has hacked the system. This could not possibly be more of a :qq: first world problems :qq: but I am just making an observation and wondering if anyone else felt the same reservations when it came to purchasing stuff digitally.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

quote:

My Riding Stables 3D: Jumping For The Team - €39.99 / £34.99

Jesus loving Christ why did I even bother buying a 3DS.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Jesus loving Christ why did I even bother buying a 3DS.

Oh no a game you don't want to play was released what ever will you do :ohdear:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
It would be nice if we got some more core market games though. Where is CoD, Assassin's Creed and GTA?

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Box of Bunnies posted:

No mention of being American versions of Mega Man or Pac Man in the press release, either. Guess we're back to good ol' 50hz goodness.

I don't think there is any reason to assume that. The version of Ice Climbers released last week on the Wii U Virtual Console says it is the American version on its e-shop listing. When it was released on Wii it was PAL. To my knowledge only 2 PAL versions have been released on Wii U virtual console so far and they are Balloon Fight and the PAL optimized Kirby's adventure. After the criticism of balloon fight I think they have pretty much stuck to the US versions.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Balloon Fight had better come to the NA Virtual Console. Now that was a fun game right there.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Laser Spider posted:

Balloon Fight had better come to the NA Virtual Console. Now that was a fun game right there.

...Balloon Fight is already on the NA VC? It was the first VC trial game back in January.

E: Oh, you mean 3DS.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Laser Spider posted:

It should, eventually.

Its the last Ambassador game in the US that hasn't been updated so it can't be that far off.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It would be nice if we got some more core market games though. Where is CoD, Assassin's Creed and GTA?

Har har.

No, I'm just a bit annoyed that since getting my 3DS on release I've managed to enjoy, what, three or four games for it? I just wish we got more proper software support from first and third parties rather than endless shovelware :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Har har.

No, I'm just a bit annoyed that since getting my 3DS on release I've managed to enjoy, what, three or four games for it? I just wish we got more proper software support from first and third parties rather than endless shovelware :(

Maybe you should wait for games you are interested in to exist before buying a new system.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

elf help book posted:

Maybe you should wait for games you are interested in to exist before buying a new system.

There are. I would just like it if there were more. But that's a conversation for 3DS general, I imagine.

Have there been any Wii U eShop releases that are worth looking into?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Toki Tori 2, the best action/puzzle game since Donkey Kong '94.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Little Inferno is definitely something different and worth checking out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Runner 2 is also worth checking out.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Any exclusives? I think I can get all three of those on PC?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Mighty Switch Force HD is a really good puzzle platformer. (It's also available on 3DS but the Wii U version has a bunch of extra levels)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Nano Assault Neo and Zen Pinball 2 (I think) are the only ones that aren't on PC, off the top of my head. (Toki Tori 2 isn't on PC, either, but it'll show up eventually.)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Har har.

I'm serious. CoD, AC and GTA were all on DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm serious. CoD, AC and GTA were all on DS.

And the only good one of those was GTA and it sold gently caress all, so they aren't making more. Considering how shovelware-ish the Vita's AC and COD are do you really want them on the 3DS? The companies behind them will never put their own studios working on handheld versions, leaving it to be outsourced to the lowest bidder.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Saoshyant posted:

And the only good one of those was GTA and it sold gently caress all, so they aren't making more. Considering how shovelware-ish the Vita's AC and COD are do you really want them on the 3DS? The companies behind them will never put their own studios working on handheld versions, leaving it to be outsourced to the lowest bidder.

I don't care if they're inferior, the 3DS is a lot more powerful than the DS and at least they would be present. They belong on the 3DS as much as any other system, at least make an attempt. Maybe some aspect of it will work and can be applied in a game of a similar genre by a different developer.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Saoshyant posted:

AC2 DS and AC Vita were pretty good. I wouldn't mind more games like them.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Zen Pinball is in the Windows 8 Store and I think is coming to Steam or some other PC platform eventually.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

elf help book posted:

Zen Pinball is in the Windows 8 Store and I think is coming to Steam or some other PC platform eventually.

I think you are mistaking Pinball Arcade with Zen Pinball, the latter being available only on PS3, 3DS, and Android/iOS.

Anyhow, question: the free DLC for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (PAL) is available until when? Or has that promo expired already? e: oh, wait! The game isn't even out here yet. Hearing people talk about it obviously confused me. :doh:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 30, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

I think you are mistaking Pinball Arcade with Zen Pinball, the latter being available only on PS3, 3DS, and Android/iOS.

No I'm not. Zen Pinball is also known as Pinball FX 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shin'en is doing a sale on the US eShop - 30% off all games "for a limited time":

Nano Assault Neo (Wii U) - $6.99
Nano Assault EX (3DS) - $9.99
Art of Balance TOUCH (3DS) - $4.99
Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS) - $3.49

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Denpa Men 2: Beyond the Waves will be out on the NA 3DS eShop on May 30; there'll be a demo released between now and then that'll let you carry your save data to the real game, just like last time. You'll also be able to import your data from the original Denpa Men, and there's some special unlocks for 100% save data.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Apparently both Pushmo and 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure are on sale on the NA 3DS eShop - $4.99 each. Anyone wanna confirm?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...and there are more games on sale, too?

Dillon's Rolling Western - $6.99
Fluidity: Spin Cycle - $7.99
Tokyo Crash Mobs - $4.99

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Tokyo Crash Mobs - $4.99

Welp, now I gotta.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Apparently both Pushmo and 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure are on sale on the NA 3DS eShop - $4.99 each. Anyone wanna confirm?
I can confirm both are $5 each... Pushmo seems tempting even though it sounds like it's sequel, Crashmo (which was on sale a while back IIRC), is better even though it's supposed to be quite a bit harder as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you haven't played either game then Pushmo is definitely the one to start with, it's a lot more straightforward than Crashmo.