Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
of bees
Dec 28, 2009
They could also expand on things that are shown in the manga but not given a lot of attention to. I'm kind of hoping they do that, actually. There are quite a few things that are given maybe a page at most in the manga that could be expanded on without too much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if their approach to it is to make pseudo-filler based on stuff the manga doesn't really focus on to pad the story out.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WickedIcon posted:

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if their approach to it is to make pseudo-filler based on stuff the manga doesn't really focus on to pad the story out.
I don't think there's a beach inside the walls, so they'll probably have to settle for a Germanic-style hot springs.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Hikarusa posted:

...What the gently caress? Attack on titan started in september 2009. Why would it take a year for a single volume? Are you expecting 12 chapter volumes? So 60-72 chapters per 13 episodes? There is literally nothing about this post that makes the slightest bit of sense.

Edit: No, but seriously now. Depending on how this adaptation and the manga go, they could probably do a 13 episode add-on per year for the next two or three years.

I'm just going of the top of my head from my own experience collecting manga. Checking the monthly series I collect they have 5-6 chapters but they definitely aren't released every six months. More like maybe three volumes every two years. Titan seems to be a bit ahead of that pace if it started in 2009 but it doesn't change the fact that there's only going to be like 6 or 7 chapters of the manga released during full run of the anime. That still leaves a big gap between seasons. As pointed out Naruto needed a full year of filler and that's a weekly manga.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Monthly manga are often 3x the side of normal chapters, so volumes typically have 3-4 chapters, not 12. I think 5-6 volumes for that would be 15-20-ish chapters, so a 26-episode series isn't unreasonable. Alternatively, if they change up the pacing a bit, I can see them stretching it out a bit further than that.

I don't know what the norm is, to be honest. I have a shiny new copy of Dainana Joshikai Houkou which had its first volume in 2009 and happens to have exactly 12 chapters with 5 volumes out last I checked. Like I said the others have at least 6. Monthly manga can vary a lot in how long each chapter is. Even if my numbers are a bit high the point remains that there's probably not enough material for a new season any time soon.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 30, 2013

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I really love how the show is sparing no expense at showing you just how much Eren hates the Titans. I honestly expected the anime to downplay it a little bit, but if anything it's playing it up. When your sole desire in life revolves around the genocide of a species, it's pretty damned impressive that you manage to inspire your friends to join your cause. He's like a Captain Ahab that everyone agrees with, and it's lovely.:allears:

It's kind of annoying honestly. I don't need to hear his mission statement multiple times per episode, I get it already. Also I'm assuming you've never read Moby-Dick because Ahab inspires his crew to join his cause pretty easily.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fingers of Fury posted:

It's kind of annoying honestly. I don't need to hear his mission statement multiple times per episode, I get it already. Also I'm assuming you've never read Moby-Dick because Ahab inspires his crew to join his cause pretty easily.

Read it when I was 12 when my grandma suggested it to me. Weird. Guess I remembered the crew growing increasingly uncertain about their job. Probably mixing stories up, oh well.

In any case, Eren's still a breath of fresh air when compared to Generic Shounen #3592. I'd like to think he'll get better about throwing around an angry catchphrase, but then again who knows. We might just be seeing the post-apocalyptic version of "Dattebayo." :smith:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I think they become uncertain about Ahab's mental state but he offers up such a large bounty for Mr. Dick that they kind of just ignore the crazy. We only need the colossal titan to bite of Eren's leg for this discussion to become relevant. He only needs the top half of his legs to work the cord thingies right?

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Oh man, that last 5 minutes-It's like someone decided to take half a season of filler episodes, throw them out the goddamn window and get right to the rear end kicking

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I love this show. I've only watched 2 animes in my life, the other one being Fate/Zero which I also loved.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think there's a beach inside the walls, so they'll probably have to settle for a Germanic-style hot springs.

I will not be satisfied if the anime only ending into filler isn't a time skip into the past where 3d maneuver gear was used in street races. Initial D: Time Attack on Titan. :3:

When reading the manga I hadn't really considered the Ahab comparison; watching the anime has given some additional emphasis to Eren's hate (the voice work does a great job of this) and it definitely feels that intense. It also does a pretty decent job of portraying the comparatively stoic nature of Mikasa.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 30, 2013

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Man, I just really love this show. Just the brutality of the world that it's set in is enough to get me hooked.

I started reading some of the Manga but I think I just want to watch and see how the show plays out first before I read any more into it. I really have no idea what to expect is going to happen next and I love it for that.

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 1, 2013

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Reading the manga means it'll be much harder for you to participate in the anime-related discussions on this forum. Something to think about. You can't honestly talk about what you think is going to happen or hope will happen if you actually know based off the manga. So, reading the manga will take that "fun" away.

Of course, reading the manga is fairly satisfying in and of itself. Also, it makes reading this particular thread really entertaining when you know what is going to happen and read all the postulation provided by those that don't have that knowledge benefit.

So, I suppose it goes both ways.

All I'll say is I'm enjoying both the anime and the manga.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A fan tweeted this to the magazine that publishes the manga, an idea for a headphone port cover.

I would buy the hell out of that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

They don't even need to make the legs, just the head is amazing.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Dan7el posted:

Reading the manga means it'll be much harder for you to participate in the anime-related discussions on this forum. Something to think about. You can't honestly talk about what you think is going to happen or hope will happen if you actually know based off the manga. So, reading the manga will take that "fun" away.

Of course, reading the manga is fairly satisfying in and of itself. Also, it makes reading this particular thread really entertaining when you know what is going to happen and read all the postulation provided by those that don't have that knowledge benefit.

So, I suppose it goes both ways.

All I'll say is I'm enjoying both the anime and the manga.

Your first point is part of the reason I don't want to read the manga quite yet. I originally read up to where we are currently in the show so I wasn't surprised by the end of the last episode, not to say that it wasn't still fun even knowing what would happen. I think a lot of it will depend on how close it follows the source material and how it'll end since a lot of people have mentioned that there isn't really a good stopping point for the show within the manga.

Last Emperor fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 1, 2013

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
I read the manga and I was putting off the anime for a while. Just went through the first four episodes and they were amazing.

The music is great. There were a couple of insert songs but the BGM itself stood out to me. Any news if they will be releasing the entire soundtrack?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

njsykora posted:

A fan tweeted this to the magazine that publishes the manga, an idea for a headphone port cover.

I am throwing money at my computer screen, but nothing is happening. :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

njsykora posted:

Man, I want it, but it wouldn't work on my iPhone 5 because the jack is on the bottom.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, I want it, but it wouldn't work on my iPhone 5 because the jack is on the bottom.

That would make it even funnier.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Captain Invictus posted:

That would make it even funnier.

Armoured titan kicking the bottom of the phone. Sorted.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just make it a clip that can go on anything. My monitor needs a titan.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Someone requested this earlier in the thread:

Attack on Barkley

A bit of a muddled mash-up, but a better one will probably be coming when the full OP comes out (in July :negative:)

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
I don't mind Mikasa, but I thought it was kind of funny how the drill sergeant was all yeah, this guy has this flaw, this guy has the other flaw... Mikasa though, yeah she's pretty much a Mary Sue.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Unknownone posted:

I noticed Hannes and his friends badges swapped between recon corps and wall minders inbetween shots, which was a bit jarring.

Other than that, amazing ending!

I noticed that too. I saw the wing badge and I was expecting a scene where Eren and company was like "whoa, you're in the Recon Corps now?" but that didn't happen.

Anyway this show is amazing and there isn't a single character I dislike. I find Mikasa's constant overwatch on Eren somewhat annoying but I think that's really part of her character, and it's something that I think is coming from the connection I'm getting from Eren, especially his desire to live freely (which is a major theme in the story).

Episode 5 promises to have some real Titan rear end-kicking action and I can't wait for the subs to get out.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I dunno, it could just as easily be the Titans doing the rear end-kicking. I'm hoping not though.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Segmentation Fault posted:

I noticed that too. I saw the wing badge and I was expecting a scene where Eren and company was like "whoa, you're in the Recon Corps now?" but that didn't happen.

Anyway this show is amazing and there isn't a single character I dislike. I find Mikasa's constant overwatch on Eren somewhat annoying but I think that's really part of her character, and it's something that I think is coming from the connection I'm getting from Eren, especially his desire to live freely (which is a major theme in the story).

Episode 5 promises to have some real Titan rear end-kicking action and I can't wait for the subs to get out.

Hannas had the Recon Corps badge on a shoulder, but the Wall Menders badge on the other shoulders and on the chest.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Aureon posted:

Hannas had the Recon Corps badge on a shoulder, but the Wall Menders badge on the other shoulders and on the chest.

I wonder if that's something indicating prior service. Maybe Hannas was in the Recon Corps, but transferred to Wall Menders?

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just rewatched: Small recon corps insignia on chest\one shoulder, bigger Wall Menders insignia on the other.
I guess the small ones are rank, and the big one is corp.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Segmentation Fault posted:

I wonder if that's something indicating prior service. Maybe Hannas was in the Recon Corps, but transferred to Wall Menders?

It's an art error. Hannas is just a wall guard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The village I live has had lovely internet connectivity for as long as I've been here (couple of years) and in the time my consumption of media in general receded, anime in particular since I don't catch much of it on TV either. We got an upgrade a week or so back and it occurred to me that I could now catch something on Crunchyroll for the first time, just put whatever on like it's not a thing.

I can't remember what about the screen capture of a woman eating a potato like her life loving depended on it compelled me to click, but I'm really glad I did. I can't believe I've only watched three episodes, the pace is remarkable. Great exposition of the world it's set in, and some neat ideas like the 3D Gear.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
What in the gently caress? Episode 5 is such a what the gently caress episode. What the holy making GBS threads gently caress?

I'll just go wrap myself in a nice, soft cocoon until ep 6, if you don't mind.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

darkgray posted:

What in the gently caress? Episode 5 is such a what the gently caress episode. What the holy making GBS threads gently caress?

I'll just go wrap myself in a nice, soft cocoon until ep 6, if you don't mind.

This is what I was hoping to see here after watching it. What an awesome episode.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Demicol posted:

This is what I was hoping to see here after watching it. What an awesome episode.

I suspect that will also be the majority of the thread for a little while too. Having read the manga, I was looking forward to seeing the reactions in the thread for this episode. Now for the waiting game to watch it with subtitles.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Wow, uh... uhhh....

When is episode 6 coming out again? In a week? I can't wait that long. :stare:

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Good mashup, although I'm a little disappointed you didn't After Effects Eren slamming a basketball into a titan's neck...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm really disappointed that Armin didn't try to high five Eren's dismembered arm as it flew past him.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

HOLY gently caress.

A week is too much. Reading manga.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Giggily posted:

I'm really disappointed that Armin didn't try to high five Eren's dismembered arm as it flew past him.

I think he was too busy screaming his freaking lungs out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
He...he's not actually dead, right? :ohdear:

Holy poo poo this series. I pretty much feel compelled to read ahead in the manga to see the next thing coming but I just can't ruin the anime. Very nicely done episode even though the Behemoth Titan looked a little off to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I... no, a whole week is too much. Holy poo poo this show is loving fantastic why can't it air everyday.

• Locked thread