Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Hobbit posted:

Finally got a chance to listen to the whole album without lots of distractions. This might change, as my preferences in Streetlight songs often do on later listenings, but my favorite song on THTT is "Ungrateful." The album seems front loaded; most of the best songs on the album are tracks 1, 2, and 4. I kind of drifted off for "With Any Sort of Certainty," "If Only For Memories," and "They Broke Him Down." "Toe to Toe" definitely held my attention but was lacking the power I've come to expect from the Streetlight horn section. The solo in that song was just a bit too jazzy for me. As mentioned, "Oh Me, Oh My" is pretty much an ASOB song, and I'm totally ok with that.

I have the opposite opinion. I find myself skipping past track 1 (because I've listened to the single so much already) and track 2. I really can't get into Ungrateful at all. I do love The Hands That Thieve. It took a while for If Only For The Memories and Toe to Toe to click with me but now they're two of my favorite tracks on the album. Toe to Toe has a different feel than most streetlight songs, but in a good way I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Just got through listening to THTT for the Xth time, where X is way too loving many times to listen to an album in this short a time period. Just gonna jot some thoughts down here, for myself as much as anyone.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out if this record is actually this good or if it's just that it's new Streetlight holy poo poo aaaa. I'm pretty sure that it's definitely really really solid.

Streetlight albums, for me, tend to be characterized by one or two series of mind-blowing songs punctuated by spots of sorta meh-ness. IMO the first five tracks of THTT are just insanely good. The Three of Us is by far the best opening track on any Kalnoky release and might be my favorite song on the album. Ungrateful is a really refreshing little punk-rock jaunt. Tomas is so drat good at writing those call-and-response punk verses. Anybody who's been to the THTT shows so far able to tell me who has the deeper, gravelly voice during Ungrateful's verses? Is that Nadav?

Man, just so much to say about so many of these songs. On the one hand, I kind of agree with that guy a page or two ago who said that the Streetlight Formula is starting to show its seams a little. There are a lot of songs on this album that could be described as mid-tempo anthems with liberal use of gang vocals and that patented Streetlight horn line. But on the other hand, it's just such a good formula that I'm totally willing to forgive it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Shabadu posted:

qiyd, bummed I missed him on Andrew Jackson Jihad's tour last fall.

I've been whistling With any Sort of Certainty all day and it has seriously had me in an amazing mood.

I also missed him on that tour because of a loving hurricane. Luckily a few months later he played a (short) solo set in some guy's kitchen in Brooklyn. Too bad he doesn't write ska songs anymore.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Y'all ready to be really pissed?
http://www.reddit.com/r/streetlightmanifesto/comments/1dcwvd/risc_has_not_shipped_any_packages_but_are_ready/

RISC has not shipped any packages, but are ready to ship. Legal Issues with Victory and no Live EP.

• Everything you just read in the title is true. Now with this info you have to bear a couple things in mind.
  • Streetlight are trying their absolute loving hardest to battle out Victory on this one, and it's a constant one.
  • Streetlight put a lot of work into making sure that this would be a fantastic release, and they were going to perform all of what they promised, but the legal battle is making sure that things won't go smoothly.
  • Streetlight wants us to be happy, and all intentions were not deceptive. They tried, you can practically feel how passionate they were about this release and the preorder bonuses, but it's victory who's stepping in the way.
  • Streetlight's communication probably has to be silent now, as discussing the legality of this issue behind Victory's back is (probably?) somewhat illegal. This is probably why we haven't heard much about the release.
  • This is victory's fault.

I just called the RISC store (you can too) and asked them a couple questions about what's going on with preorders and they said that they're ready to ship (and have been) but as you know victory is trying their hardest to actually remove the Toh Kay version from existence completely. The man I spoke with said that their lawyers are talking to victory as I was on the phone, which was 10 minutes ago. He said that he hopes the issue will be resolved in a couple hours. They don't know, because he's in the dark as much as we are.

There will be no live EP. The guy said that they found out that it was just flat out illegal to sell an exclusive streetlight record, so it isn't happening. A little more communication would have been nice, and this is the price Tommy pays for signing with Victory. To be fair, we may see a bootleg version of it uploaded in the future.

As bad as this may seem, we must point the finger at Victory, Tony Brummel is trying his hardest to make sure that Tomas suffers as much as he possibly can because their not good friends. Tomas has legitimate reasons and claims against Victory, whereas Tony is just a douche and doesn't like it when people don't play by his hosed rules.
After all that info, the man told me to download the album. Nobody's getting their packages for a little while so if you want to listen to the album on release date then you need to download the album. Keep in mind that it's totally endorsed by streetlight and RISC

TL:DR Victory's legal issues with the Toh kay version of the album has halted the shipping process and barred the Live EP from existing. Point the finger at Victory, Streetlight made sure this would be a hell of a release package and victory stomped it back into the core of the loving earth.

Surprise! (not really!)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kill everyone at Victory. :smithicide:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 29, 2013

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gently caress Victory Records

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I keep the confirmation emails for things I order until they arrive. I was really hoping I'd be able to archive these emails soon:

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I was just about to come here and bitch.

I buy a lot of records and don't pirate. I have bought a poo poo ton of Victory's stuff because the bands I like are on there. I won't anymore. gently caress them. Way to piss off one of the few remaining people who actually buys loving music.

EDIT:

You can call Victory and leave a voicemail for Tony by following the directions in this comment.

His voice mail says he will get back to you if you leave a name and a number. I left a calm message along the lines of,

"I will never buy another item from Victory ever again. I am one of the few people that doesn't pirate. Thanks for holding up my order. I have bought lots of Victory records in the past but will not anymore unless you personally call me back, as your voice mail said you would do.

My name is xxxxxx you can reach me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Again my name is xxx and you can reach me at xxx-xxx-xxxx if you want to some how persuade me your actions are somehow good for me as a consumer.

Thanks."

http://www.reddit.com/r/streetlightmanifesto/comments/1dcwvd/risc_has_not_shipped_any_packages_but_are_ready/c9p9qup

Probably pointless and he probably doesn't give a poo poo if I buy another record or not, and I doubt he actually calls me back. But it felt good to vent my frustrations. I would have rather just screamed endlessly at the top of my lungs at him for all the other poo poo he has done to gently caress up music I like (They are currently being sued by A Day To Remember as well and have caused a multitude of other bands I enjoyed to break up due to their lovely record contracts.), but I remained calm.

Tennis Ball fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 30, 2013

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I pirate (and then buy when it's available, hell I've bought THTT since last August) all of Streetlight's stuff cause they encourage it.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I pirate (and then buy when it's available, hell I've bought THTT since last August) all of Streetlight's stuff cause they encourage it.

I don't care if other people pirate. I am not claiming a moral high ground. I just don't get it. Record sales are in decline and you are loving with people who are actually buying your physical product that they could just get for free. Its just like loving anti-piracy warnings on the DVD I loving bought.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Ok, I've completely changed my opinion on "They Broke Him Down."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hobbit posted:

Ok, I've completely changed my opinion on "They Broke Him Down."

What, have you realized it's the best song on the album? :clint:

e: The Toh Kay album is out.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 30, 2013

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Not the best, but probably in the top 4, but the first time I listened to that song it couldn't hold my attention.

E- where did you see the Toh Kay album released? It's not even listed on Itunes (not surprising) and on the RISC store page it's listed as canceled.

Hobbit fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 30, 2013

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Don't play coy, you know where it is.

After several listens, The Hands That Thieve is my favorite song. The callback to A Better Place, A Better Time and the big, over the top finale really got me. They Broke Him Down is a close second though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

someone on reddit created the account "RandomFanOfSM" and started posting links to the Toh Kay version. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Thomas.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Toh Kay version of Hands That Thieve is amazing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hey Fateo, what number did you call to talk to thr RISC people? I'm going to need to get my package shipped to a different address now.

gently caress Victory with all of the dicks

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I'm digging the Toh Kay album. Not as much as the Streetlight album, but it's really good. I like the new chorus in The Littlest Things and the extra verse that kind of wraps up the story in If Only For The Memories. Oh Me, Oh My is probably my favorite Toh Kay version though. It sounds very... nautical? I don't know how to describe music.

Brock Velocity
Aug 5, 2012

FateoMcSkippy posted:

someone on reddit created the account "RandomFanOfSM" and started posting links to the Toh Kay version. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Thomas.

There's almost no doubt in my mind that it's Tomas.

I still haven't absorbed either album enough to post a review. My preliminary thoughts are: A bit less epic than SITB, but more of a unique sound (less ska-punky) and not necessarily worse. Favorite track upon a first listen is "Oh Me, Oh My," which reminds me a lot of the title track from SITB.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

From The Risc Store

quote:

Hi guys
It's with a very heavy heart that I have to announce the following:
1) The Toh Kay album "The Hand That Thieves" has been canceled for the foreseeable future. More details will come to light in the coming days.
2) Due to Victory Records refusal to send us copies of our own new album, there will be another delay in our ability to deliver preorders on time. We hoped to find a compromise with them, up until the bitter end; unfortunately, it just wasn't possible.
We ask you to once more be patient: we're working around the clock to find a solution to our gigantic nightmare of a problem. We will be able to fulfill all orders soon, and we maintain that the only way to buy the album without all of the money going to Victory Records (which ironically funds their legal efforts against us) is via the RISC Store.
Thank you for your support during our dark and trying times. We stood up against the largest, meanest, most despised bully in the schoolyard and now we have to face the consequences. Hopefully you'll stand with us and we can get through this in one piece.
There will be much more information available in the next few days. Thanks.
Tomas

:suicide:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
All this bullshit is ridiculous. Over the years, I know myself and other fans have kind of come down on SM for taking a long time in between albums. Now, I wonder, how much of that was their fault and how much of it was really Victory's fault? Whether that be Victory putting roadblocks on release dates or accounting poo poo or what have you, or, less directly, just label stress adding to the wear and tear on SM mentally and not being able to spit out albums faster. Basically, I wonder how much of a discouraging factor Victory was over the years to SM and their output. With everything happening regarding THTT, I would not be surprised and sort of feel guilty for ever thinking that SM was lovely/lazy for not getting more stuff out there. Maybe they just couldn't or it was made very hard for them.

Streetlight has been one of my favorite bands for years, yet I've never seen them live. I had plenty of chances to. I just always figured I'd get the chance. After reading about all this poo poo today, and finding out an album that I pre-ordered in August has been delayed, again, on release day, I ended up snagging tickets to their New Haven, CT show which is about 2 hours away from me in Boston. I held off because, again, I figured I'd get the chance when they came closer to Boston, but now it's important that I see them as much as possible while I can and make sure they get as much of my money as possible to do my part in making sure they have my support and that the music they have such trouble getting to their fans is appreciated and worthwhile.

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

DOOP posted:

From The Risc Store

Good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Does anyone have any info on what their fight with Victory is all about? It's gotta be pretty bad for them to get in the way of their own business, right? Did Tomas kill this guy's firstborn or something?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
As far as I know the owner of victory has always been more of a catch 22 fan.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

As far as I know the owner of victory has always been more of a catch 22 fan.

Are you joking. Is this a joke.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
The issue probably stems from disagreements as to who really owns the rights to the music and how much money gets spent on recording the albums. Victory are definitely a bunch of shitlords, but I've also gotten the impression that Tomas is a bit of an idealist when it comes to making and recording music. He's probably no small part of the problem.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
This is paving the way for Streetlight to sign with Quote Unquote.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I feel like he's sort of a Dan Harmon type who is completely loving obsessed with his work and Victory, like Sony is loving with him in a big way. I can't imagine he's the best to work with but still the man can produce.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

Cheesegod posted:

I'm digging the Toh Kay album. Not as much as the Streetlight album, but it's really good. I like the new chorus in The Littlest Things and the extra verse that kind of wraps up the story in If Only For The Memories. Oh Me, Oh My is probably my favorite Toh Kay version though. It sounds very... nautical? I don't know how to describe music.

I agree with the nautical part, the into reminds me of a very specific town theme from a video game. Maybe Seaside Town from Mario RPG it's bugging me that I can't pin it down.

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~
Both albums are just stupid loving good and it was totally worth the wait. After a couple of listens I'm pretty sure With Any Sort of Certainty and The Hands That Thieve are the best songs on the album. I feel like Your Day Will Come is the weakest, but that could just be me preferring the regular streetlight formula (call and response, awesome horn solis and the works).

DOOP posted:

From The Risc Store

This comes as a surprise to me, actually. I had been listening to the Streetlight version at work through spotify and ended up finding the Toh Kay version, so I figured they had sorted everything out. Hopefully the little bit of money that comes in through there goes straight to them.

e: also I'm sad they're not coming to Texas for their final tour. A quick google search got me all excited until I realized it was the Granada Theater in Kansas City and not Dallas. :qq:

SUBLIME! fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 30, 2013

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
How loving stupid. I want to throw money at Toh Kay. He should just set up a paypal or something.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I feel like he's sort of a Dan Harmon type who is completely loving obsessed with his work and Victory, like Sony is loving with him in a big way. I can't imagine he's the best to work with but still the man can produce.

No. Victory has done this with a poo poo ton of other artists. Streetlight has just been more vocal than others. A Day to Remember is currently in court with Victory right now over similar poo poo. They gently caress over smaller bands all the time but no one cares and I am too lazy to go hunt down a list right now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

TLG James posted:

How loving stupid. I want to throw money at Toh Kay. He should just set up a paypal or something.

I mean the bundle is still throwing money at him, right?

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Calling it now, Jeff Rosenstock releases another album of entirely new material before the Streetlight preorders ship.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

guppy posted:

Does anyone have any info on what their fight with Victory is all about? It's gotta be pretty bad for them to get in the way of their own business, right? Did Tomas kill this guy's firstborn or something?

From what I understand, Victory says the songs Streetlight releases while on their label are property of Victory. Tomas releasing Toh Kay versions on his own label without Victory's permission is some sort of infringement. Victory owns the songs, and even though Tomas wrote them, he can't release different versions without Victory's permission. If there is any sort of royalty dispute, I have no idea on that. Just seems like Victory is telling him he can't release Toh Kay versions of the songs he's promised to Victory on a different label. Also no live EP cause gently caress you that's why.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Basically what I'm hearing is Burn Victory At The Stake.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
This album loving owns. Apple lossless sounds so gooooood.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I guess I'm not as in love with the album as everyone else in the thread. I wasn't crazy about the direction they went in with Somewhere In The Between, and the new record continues down that path. It seems they keep moving away from ska-punk, and the latin and jazz influences are coming more into the forefront. To me it sounds a lot more free-form than Everything Goes Numb or Keasbey Nights, and I guess I like my music a bit more structured. Ungrateful is a loving great song though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MondayHotDog posted:

I guess I'm not as in love with the album as everyone else in the thread. I wasn't crazy about the direction they went in with Somewhere In The Between, and the new record continues down that path. It seems they keep moving away from ska-punk, and the latin and jazz influences are coming more into the forefront. To me it sounds a lot more free-form than Everything Goes Numb or Keasbey Nights, and I guess I like my music a bit more structured. Ungrateful is a loving great song though.

I'm not ready to pass judgment yet -- need to give it some more listens -- but I feel pretty similarly to you so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

MondayHotDog posted:

See, I guess I'm the exact opposite of you as Ungrateful is by far my least favorite song on the album and may even be my least favorite Streetlight song ever. It sounds like something that fell on the cutting room floor of Gimp and Tomas found it 18 years later, dusted it off and threw some horns in there.