Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

:siren:Revised translations for early chapters have been uploaded! See below!:siren:

Hinamatsuri is a battle manga about super-powered children.

Okay, not really. Hinamatsuri is actually about the pure-heartedness of children, and how they can help even the most jaded adults remember their precious memories of innocence and freedom.

Okay, not really. Hinamatsuri is really about these people:

Meet Yoshifumi Nitta, a mid-level yakuza more suited to office management and diplomacy than kicking rear end.
Hobbies include collecting fine china and drinking at his favorite bar. His life is disrupted by:

Hina. She’s 13. She’s telekinetic. She has trouble using her words.
Dislikes: Effort, bathing

They have a few problems.

But they manage to work them out.

Why should you read this?

For starters, Hina is a type of protagonist we don’t see too often in a ‘single dad’ manga. She’s lazy, greedy, messy, and tactless. Not in a malicious way, though, just self-absorbed and almost completely oblivious to things that don’t directly affect her. Life-and-death mob negotiations taking place? She’s more concerned about the candy dish on the boss’s desk. A gunman takes her class hostage? As long as it doesn’t keep her from getting lunch, no problem.

The supporting cast is also one of the strongest I’ve seen in a long while. Standouts include Hina’s psychic rival Anzu, who is a better person than her in almost every way, and long-suffering classmate Hitomi, who discovers many hilarious new talents while getting dragged into Hina’s nonsense.

Finally, reaction faces.

Oh, the reaction faces.

:siren:Update::siren:

The earliest scanslations of Hinamatsuri were very rough, bordering on unreadable in places. If these turned you off from reading, you may be glad to learn that most of the early chapters have been redone and greatly improved in the last month or so! Give it another shot, you won't regret it!

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hitomi is so great.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This really is the best ESPer manga, and I am glad that you made this thread, so that, escaping the confines of my "Surreal Daily Life Mangas" thread, more people will know about this.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hitomi is so great.

Hitomi is arguably the best character, but Anzu and Hina are both also so good. It speaks to how good this manga is that all three of them could be protagonists in their own manga, and I would gladly read them all.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mary Annette posted:

Why should you read this?

For starters, Hina is a type of protagonist we don’t see too often in a ‘single dad’ manga. She’s lazy, greedy, messy, and tactless. Not in a malicious way, though, just self-absorbed and almost completely oblivious to things that don’t directly affect her. Life-and-death mob negotiations taking place? She’s more concerned about the candy dish on the boss’s desk. A gunman takes her class hostage? As long as it doesn’t keep her from getting lunch, no problem.

To quote Serious Frolicking from the seinen thread:

I like how Hina is amazingly stupid, but not in the usual cute way. She is actually sort of a terrible person.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 9, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a really great series.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love this series.

Especially how the premise is designed to be stereotypically outlandish (a yakuza adopts a psychic teenage girl!) but it's all turned on it's head. The yakuza is a middle managed and might as well have a normal office job. The teenager acts like a real teenager most of the time.

I was worried it would get too serious with the whole homelessness thing with Anzu, but it was handled wonderfully. Not whitewashing it, but also not making it out to be excessively horrible or anything.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:allears: This is so amazing.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
This is such a fantastic manga, I wish I didn't hear about it until it was finished. :(

I'm not sure why but the sleeping gags kill me every time.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Thanks for turning me on the this series, reading through it now. The translation is godawful and I pray some group will eventually go back and fix it, the quality is still somehow getting through.

On chapter 10 right now; Hina's wonderful speech of "I suggest we choose the contractor through competitive bidding, in order to cut costs and improve the school lunch's quality. Take a short breath here." is killing me.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

On chapter 10 right now; Hina's wonderful speech of "I suggest we choose the contractor through competitive bidding, in order to cut costs and improve the school lunch's quality. Take a short breath here." is killing me.

I hope that mob lawyer got a nice bonus, given what he had to work with.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Along with last month's chapter of Hinamatsuri, the author drew up a one-shot story to celebrate his third year of serialization. It's a murder mystery!

And it's pretty much what you'd expect

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That was absolutely great. It's like the perfect sort of "serious" humor story that they talked about a lot in a part of Bakuman, where everything is totally taken seriously, but the situation is just hilariously absurd. This guy is a mad genius.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrSunshine posted:

That was absolutely great. It's like the perfect sort of "serious" humor story that they talked about a lot in a part of Bakuman, where everything is totally taken seriously, but the situation is just hilariously absurd. This guy is a mad genius.

It reminded me of a Monty Python sketch, same sense of absurdity as some of them with one sensible character going "What the loving gently caress?!?" at the insanity around them.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

If someone told me that the funniest thing I'd read all day involved a detective failing to catch a breath mint, I wouldn't have believed them.

I'm happy to have been wrong about this.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

New short little 4-page thing.

OK, you know what I said about the translation maybe getting better with time? Forget it. "Foil gras"? "Pulses?" This is disgraceful.

I've got zero experience with scanslation groups and even less patience for nerd drama, but I do have access to the raws through volume 4, am a native English speaker (which seems to be what the current crew lacks), and am willing to take a stab at putting out a script of my own. Any goons who might be able to put it to good use, please PM me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Man, Oyabun really, really wanted some grandkids.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
This is unexpectedly entertaining.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hitomi really is the best girl in the series.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I read the Last Supper.

I really, really liked that "Gee, THANKS". It was just so perfect, this author is seriously something else.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I absolutely love Hinamatsuri.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
A magic spell that can make one happy with one bowl of beef rice. It's called poverty!

The last panel is amazing as usual. Those two are just too oblivious in their own ways.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tonberrytoby posted:

A magic spell that can make one happy with one bowl of beef rice. It's called poverty!

The last panel is amazing as usual. Those two are just too oblivious in their own ways.

That was really depressing at the beginning and then became amazingly heartwarming on the last page. This is a truly great series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Live strong, Anzu. Live strong! :unsmith:

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

"Hina gets what she wants, I get what I can." :smith:

Loading up on shouga just because it's free :cry:

But then that last page. :unsmith:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Anzu is the best kid :unsmith:

Is there any other manga that deals with poverty in neither a completely comical nor a tearjerking way? I like how this manga shows the seriousness of her situation without feeling exploitative about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rexides posted:

Is there any other manga that deals with poverty in neither a completely comical nor a tearjerking way? I like how this manga shows the seriousness of her situation without feeling exploitative about it.

Oliver Twist. :v:

I haven't seen another manga that has what you're looking for, actually! The only manga I've ever read other than this that features homelessness in a big way is Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa and that's a pretty tearjerking, tense and serious manga.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Rexides posted:

Not really.

Alyosha has some moments where Alyosha reminds me of Anzu. But they are not as common as they should be.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Alyosha/Ch-025--A-Warrior-s-Break?id=128258#8

Strongest Man Kurosawa has a pretty good arc about homeless people.

After this there is only stuff like "Poor Poor Lips" or "Hyakuen" which are less exploitive in their comedy than usual.

... Now that I think about it, there might be some anime in the world masterpiece series that deal with that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Rexides posted:

Disappearance Diary, a one volume autobiographical work by Hideo Azuma, has large sections where he's living homeless. I think it fits the bill.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Two more chapters!

The middle school detectives (also Hina) try to find out what Mishima's been up to after school while the teacher is still clueless or maintaining plausible deniability. Can they save her from her side job?

Also, Nitta's sister pays a visit to her bro, enjoys some fun-employment.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kleptobot posted:

Two more chapters!

The middle school detectives (also Hina) try to find out what Mishima's been up to after school while the teacher is still clueless or maintaining plausible deniability. Can they save her from her side job?

This chapter was so funny! I kept chuckling and giggling throughout the whole thing. It's really hilarious seeing all the wild conclusions they leap to and the ensuing ridiculous faces.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They aren't references to Hetalia, you dumbass!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

They aren't references to Hetalia, you dumbass!

But it's popular among high school girls!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I get that it's some kind of prerelease, but I couldn't help but hear his sister's voice in some kind of stereotypical Slavic accent. "While I'm not doing anything, food is great and there's beer. This is the heaven."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The faces in the Hitomi chapter were outrageous :stare:

Chapter 13.5 was also posted.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

This wouldn't be half as good without the trials and tribulations of Hitomi.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This artist is fantastic at faces. :allears:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Chapter 21 is out and it is seriously scary. Even Utako is scared.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 22 is out too! http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hinamatsuri/Vol-005-Ch-022v000--A-Guide-to-Get-Out-of-A-Homeless-Life

EDIT: Anzu chapters are the most :smith: and :unsmith: chapters at the same time.

EDIT2: Oh gods that second last page.

EDIT3: Anzu is the best girl. The best.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

A chapter with character development for Hina and then one for Anzu....

I am just impressed how there are so different but so amazingly deep characters in the same manga. Most stories don't even manage one.