Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cakefool posted:

:allears: do you think they take turns?

I'm not sure if you mean the trucks flip and carry each other every now and then, or if the apparatus is at all stable if the route goes left or right, or if these are even two separate issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

while the Volt isn't allowed to get the alt-fuel plate in AZ, the Karma can

Wait, what?

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I just want to know why there's a PA speaker under the back bumper.

Not shown: LCD screen swinging wildly from a rope tied to the rearview mirror.

Goddamnit, Florida. If I weren't such an internet dwelling hermit I could probably create a thread for nothing other than "terrible poo poo Floridians do":smith:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

I just want to know why there's a PA speaker under the back bumper.

Wild guess: part of a self-installed alarm system.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think that part hanging on a duct tape is LPG line. It also seemed to swing a bit as the car drove.

A wild GT-R appeared! I like the contrast between awesome and awful in this pic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think it's because the Volt is technically capable of driving the wheels directly from the engine. As such, it doesn't meet the "must be powered exclusively by alternative propulsion" clause - so all pure-electrics get blue plates, I believe the natural gas Civic gets them, and apparently the Karma gets them because the Karma's engine is truly a generator only.

But, the hybrid plates haven't been issued in ages because they are quantity limited, and they're supposed to only be allowed on the Prius, Civic Hybrid, and Insight (and I think only the first-gen Insight at that). I think a Volt might be allowed to get one, but you'd only be able to get it if you're transferring it off of a Prius that you own that already has a blue plate.

So, the 20MPG Karma gets a blue plate, while the 37MPG Volt does not.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure Fisker is almost a non-thing now. Not sure what'll happen for people who need support, that must suck.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Apparently Justin "The Beebz" Bieber drives (has) a Fisker Karma. That's all I really needed to know. That said I didn't know it only got 20mpg. I mean I know super cars get all around terrible mileage but drat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I figure they might get pretty good mileage if you kept your foot out of them... but no one can. No one.

And if you can afford a supercar, why do you give a flying gently caress about gas mileage? If I wanted to drive something like it was a commuter car I'd buy a commuter car, something that costs six or seven figures better either make/save me a whole lot of money or be about as much fun as one can have with their pants on.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
More proof that the government shouldn't be in the business of picking winners (unless the winner is Chrysler) :c00lbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

And if you can afford a supercar, why do you give a flying gently caress about gas mileage? If I wanted to drive something like it was a commuter car I'd buy a commuter car, something that costs six or seven figures better either make/save me a whole lot of money or be about as much fun as one can have with their pants on.
Because it's nice to be able to drive your M5 (v10) until you realize that your range is less than 240mi on an almost 19 gallon tank. poo poo, I'd seen it once where I filled the tank and the 'get gas' chime hit with 120mi on the tank.

Then you get a 335D and while it's far less of a car you appreciate seeing 700+mi on a single tank while cruising at 80mph.

Just a personal observation I've made.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 30, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

kastein posted:

I figure they might get pretty good mileage if you kept your foot out of them... but no one can. No one.

The Beiber example explains the rule. It's less about performance and more about image and the Karma was the Prius that filthy proles couldn't touch.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Cakefool posted:

:allears: do you think they take turns?

Take a hard right to tip it and then climb into the grey van and keep going, until you have to take a hard left when you switch back to the pickup. Its 2 times the vehicle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Poor little Panda :(

(Warning: :siren:LOUD:siren:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6BKFQMj1KY

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 30, 2013

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Bob Lutz fixed the Fisker.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/destino-bob-lutz-corvette-powered-fisker-karma

EDIT: V8 Fisker is not terrible, I was just adding to fisker chat.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 1, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Wrong thread for sure. I would loving love to roll up to a meeting of a bunch of Karma owners with an LS9 tucked inside and just do burnouts for freedom all around them. Then I'd drive home getting 20+ mpg highway anyway out of a gas engine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wild guess: part of a self-installed alarm system.

I'm going to say it's so he can broadcast his tunes to the world, for the listening edification of the unwashed masses. Seen/heard that here in DFW. Made me want to kick in his windows and rip the head unit out. Bad enough I can hear your lovely music outside the car with the car closed up, now you want to play it too me through a lovely PA speaker?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Interestingly, I read an opinion piece a month or two ago opining that the way to get Fisker profitable would be to build essentially this car. They were of the opinion that the Karma was gorgeous, but more people would buy it if it were a true supercar. They could subsidize the electrics by selling both versions.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Also all the batteries chooch the weight up (thanks AI) to over 5000lb. 5297 according to Car and Driver.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

There was this thing on the way home from work a while back:

Dragon - RAWR!

There was a bone stock something-or-other, Saturn, I think, with one of the F&F knight stickers (from the Supra) in my neighborhood the other day, too. Sadly, I was not able to get the phone out in time to capture its greatness awfulness.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

It looks so much better with the 'stache shaved off.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Good. Looks better than the Panamera or Rapide or any of those other bigshot 4doors.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Cruseydr posted:

It looks so much better with the 'stache shaved off.

Holy gently caress, you weren't kidding. It's amazing how lovely the stock Karma front ends look.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
How not to parallel park.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

:confused: What part of parallel parking do you not get?
:j: Well obviously the core concept...

I watched about 2 minutes (I assume the rest is just more of the same "can't ever turn the wheel in the opposite direction, ends perpendicular to the other cars") and its simply mind-boggling that someone could be that terrible at parking. Especially in (I'm assuming) Europe where I've been led to believe that driver's education is a multi-year, several thousand dollar euro affair.

fake edit: I want to say that video has been posted here before...

Content:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Geoj posted:

Content:

As stupid as that is, it's the Honda Powersports logo...motorcycles, ATVs, that sort of thing, not cars.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Godholio posted:

As stupid as that is, it's the Honda Powersports logo...motorcycles, ATVs, that sort of thing, not cars.

On a Focus

E: ok yeah sure he could be a Honda bikes fan but you know that's not what's going on in that pic

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

As awful as people recording with their phones held the wrong way is, at least youtube is starting to be smart enough to allow you to play it with your monitor rotated into portrait without bars.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

On a Focus

E: ok yeah sure he could be a Honda bikes fan but you know that's not what's going on in that pic

How do I know that?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

On a Focus

It seems like that's exactly what's going on. Plenty of people spend all their money on bikes and end up with a crappy focus or whatever dd.

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

Nickopops fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 1, 2019

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Caught this on my way home one night. Basically the SUV drove from somewhere in Alberta to Vancouver (at least 900 KM) and was pulling two large ATVs in a trailer. I'd hate to imagine how hosed the back suspension is from the trip.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
And a bonus!

These were taken while I was the Vancouver International Auto Show last month in the modded section. It's the same car too.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

These are the ugliest wheels in the thread, bar none, and that is saying something.

I mean yeah those single-bar "they'll go oval shaped in a week" wheels are dumb but good gracious is this ugly

This though?

quote:

Paint this matte black, take the dumb roof scoop off, put a better hood on it, and put less dumb wheels on it, and I'd drive it.

Also, good lord the gauges inside can go too.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 1, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

And a bonus!

These were taken while I was the Vancouver International Auto Show last month in the modded section. It's the same car too.

my only complaint is that there aren't enough Swarovski crystals in it. If you're gonna go glam, you might as well go the full Liberace.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Linedance posted:

my only complaint is that there aren't enough Swarovski crystals in it. If you're gonna go glam, you might as well go the full Liberace.

I had no problem at all with the first photo but the rest of them only had a car with shiny poo poo in it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Geoj posted:

Especially in (I'm assuming) Europe where I've been led to believe that driver's education is a multi-year, several thousand dollar euro affair.

At least in Sweden yeah. Traffic school costs have dropped so going by the average lessons required and their cost, tests and paperwork it's just above $2000 US in the end provided you succeed every test on your first go. Even with that we have to do the only right thing and consider every other driver to be a blood thirsty putz on drugs out to kill you while simultaneously texting and drinking coffee.

The cops take 2-3 license-less drivers a day on average in my little 140k large town and that number isn't going down. If dash-cams got popular here it wouldn't be the same caliber of crazy as in Russia but there would be plenty of demonstrations of license-with-cereal-package drivers, pedeadstrians who don't look or listen but simply jump out into the road and bicyclists who think vehicles stop on a dime and always see them coming from miles away at great speeds.

I wear a good pair of gloves whenever I go out because it's a good idea. (Road fatalities per 100k: Sweden 2.9, US 12.3)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Boomerjinks posted:

loving amateur night up in here...

But now we're turning this thread into the other thread.

Interesting fact about the Landmaster. There actually is a patent by Lockhead for that wheel configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Interesting fact about the Landmaster. There actually is a patent by Lockhead for that wheel configuration.
How? Isn't it the same design used by step-climbing sack trollies etc the world over?