Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

holocaust bloopers posted:

7 crew members and cargo. Word is that the pilots were reporting that the cargo shifted.

I don't see any other way they could get the nose up that high that soon after take off without something heavy sliding to the rear. Just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Snowdens Secret posted:

There anything you can do at that point or is the trim too hosed? Shift fuel, anything?

The short of it is, no. Once the CG gets to the point where the aircraft literally stands on its tail that close to the ground, you're hosed. You need two things to safely recover an emergency aircraft--airspeed and altitude. You can trade one for the other. Problem is, during takeoff, you can't just nose over to gain airspeed what with being so close to the ground. Takeoff data is predicated on a loss of engine so if the guy were in a 3-engine scenario, they'd be fine. Boeing assures you of that when the data checks out. It doesn't take in account of a massive load shifting. If this was proven to be the cause, these guys had no chance to recover that close to terrain.

One more thing comes to mind - there is now an unsecured load sliding backwards in a pitch up so when you nose over, the load is going to move forward causing yet another dramatic change in cg. :smith:

bloops fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 30, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:nms:

Mil-contracted 747 crash from yesterday. It's pretty goddamn grim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo51Be2jL8c

Just what I needed to see right before I book my R&R flight from LNK. :smithicide:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

7 crew members and cargo. Word is that the pilots were reporting that the cargo shifted.

Five of them were from Michigan (used to run out of Willow Run), got a beer with those guys every now and then. :smith:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's just terrifying to even watch. The way it just stops still in the air.

Do they always just burst into flames instantly like that?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Christoff posted:

It's just terrifying to even watch. The way it just stops still in the air.

Do they always just burst into flames instantly like that?

When you're loaded with 100K+ of JP-8, yea.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Neat post over in TFR:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I see those and I can't help think of the man hours consumed and liberty delayed while some rear end up in a watch tower shouts for people to scooch over just a little

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
I can almost feel the hate flowing towards the camera taking the picture and by extension me, the viewer.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
It's not like they had anything better to do, fuckers didn't even have tv. Think about that.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Snowdens Secret posted:

I see those and I can't help think of the man hours consumed and liberty delayed while some rear end up in a watch tower shouts for people to scooch over just a little

Could have marked the places in adv- hahaha who am I kidding.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Hearts and minds.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

OBi posted:

I can almost feel the hate flowing towards the camera taking the picture and by extension me, the viewer.

Someone in the back could easily have flipped off the camera and no one could tell.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Is that heroic warfighter on the right wearing a PACA?

I wish I could just wear cool low-speed body armor instead of a godawful interceptor :(

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

When you're loaded with 100K+ of JP-8, yea.

I fly a T6 that carries 1k lbs of jp5. I just can't imagine 100k lbs of fuel. So I'm guessing shift load that forced into a stalled aoa and kept it there?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

It's not like they had anything better to do, fuckers didn't even have tv. Think about that.

I dunno sometimes I think drinking and playing cards is a way better way to spend downtime

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bob A Feet posted:

I fly a T6 that carries 1k lbs of jp5. I just can't imagine 100k lbs of fuel. So I'm guessing shift load that forced into a stalled aoa and kept it there?

If it was a load shift, the cargo slid backwards at rotation which got the jet to stand on its tail into a stall then when the jet nosed over, the load shifted forward which pretty much just sealed their fate right there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The cargo could've slid right back into position and locked itself back in, I don't think they were recovering when their altitude peaked at like 1200 feet...even if they controlled it to a nose-down attitude they didn't have the time to build up enough speed to do a drat thing. :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Any recognise this piece of kit captured by the opposition in Syria?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5LSI4wtbO8

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No, but one of the related videos has a continuation. Quick Google translation of the description just says rocket launcher and nothing more specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-lTpKBA-0

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

No, but one of the related videos has a continuation. Quick Google translation of the description just says rocket launcher and nothing more specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-lTpKBA-0

Some kind of russian or chineese MRLS?

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

Dear Aviation wings of other branches, the USMC are still flying this:

and this:

And we're still better than you. Thanks all the same but I think we have rotary wing covered.

Oh having a few of these:

And these:

Probably doesn't hurt either.

WP CURES PALESTINE fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 1, 2013

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What's on the hardpoint of the Harrier's right wing, next to the external fuel tank?

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

What's on the hardpoint of the Harrier's right wing, next to the external fuel tank?

I believe it's a LITENING targeting pod, but I could be wrong. Basicly FLIR.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

And the munition looks to be like a Skipper

I'm sure iyaayas will come in and knowledge bomb us. Again.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The short of it is, no. Once the CG gets to the point where the aircraft literally stands on its tail that close to the ground, you're hosed. You need two things to safely recover an emergency aircraft--airspeed and altitude. You can trade one for the other. Problem is, during takeoff, you can't just nose over to gain airspeed what with being so close to the ground. Takeoff data is predicated on a loss of engine so if the guy were in a 3-engine scenario, they'd be fine. Boeing assures you of that when the data checks out. It doesn't take in account of a massive load shifting. If this was proven to be the cause, these guys had no chance to recover that close to terrain.

One more thing comes to mind - there is now an unsecured load sliding backwards in a pitch up so when you nose over, the load is going to move forward causing yet another dramatic change in cg. :smith:

For comparison, here's a C-2 Greyhound that had its cargo slide backwards on a catapult shot. Pretty much the exact same result, and there's nothing at all you can do about it. With that much weight out of position, there's no way to overcome it with the flight controls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDmMwI9cik

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Those are some real cute planes. Here's what a big swingin' cock of a jet looks like.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:fap: :fap: :fap:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Those are some real cute planes. Here's what a big swingin' cock of a jet looks like.

You always know when those are flying down at FTIG during drill. No matter where you are on post, the VRRRRT sound lets you know an A-10 is making a gun run.

Pretty cool if you can see them during the run, too. Shoot and turn by pairs.

EBB fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 1, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
3F Rule oughta post stories from his A-10 days. I'd read the poo poo out of them.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Not to mention that the initial report was they had a load of heavy vehicles, so if they came unsecured in that regime of flight, as soon as they tumbled over the load could've ended up on the side or the ceiling. There is literally no way to save it in any of those situations.

Poor guys.

WP CURES PALESTINE posted:

I believe it's a LITENING targeting pod, but I could be wrong. Basicly FLIR.

You're correct, but FLIR doesn't lase targets. A LITENING pod does.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
USMC just renewed the UH-1 and AH-1 on new platforms too with upgraded everything. I think the only thing that hasn't gotten upgraded may be the 53 and the jets? (lets be real the 35 is never happening)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Would hug the poo poo out of that radar-dome (but only when its not rotating or radiating)

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

Bob A Feet posted:

USMC just renewed the UH-1 and AH-1 on new platforms too with upgraded everything. I think the only thing that hasn't gotten upgraded may be the 53 and the jets? (lets be real the 35 is never happening)

Who needs 35s when you have f-18s and av8bs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Note the lack of PDS antennae. Eat a dick, HDI.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

awacs crew represent y'all

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

This and this is what happens to me when you fuckers get too goddamn AWACS geeky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Look at those tiny little bitch engines :colbert:

• Locked thread