Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
My old high school history teacher(former Marine, currently serving rear end in a top hat) just commented on a post from a friend of mine, regarding the Tsarnaev kid(American citizen, mind you) allegedly being denied a lawyer despite requesting one(the veracity of which is unconfirmed as far as I know). The teacher's post literally said "he murdered an 8 year old boy, he doesn't deserve a trial." This is coming from a man who has been incredibly vocal in the past about his support of the 2nd Amendment(of which I am also a vocal supporter). I really, really hate how there are so many people out there that cherry pick what they think is right in order to support their own prejudices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

You don't say.

My favorite part of this one is the Christians against Obamas election. How did that work out for you?

MonkeyDoodle
Feb 13, 2006
I ain't afraid of no ghosts

I just can't even imagine how you would think this is a valid and non-offensive point

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Someone probably saw the 'people who are arguing against gay marriage will be viewed the same way we view people who argued against interracial marriages' idea, had their own idea, and didn't stop to think twice before whipping that up.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

vvv Thumbnailed for possible offense. Content is Infowars Boston conspiracy bullshit.

Slamhound has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
You might want to censor that image, having dead corpses and blood all over the place is not exactly a nice sight, even if it's fake (I don't know, but I hope it is).

EDIT: Thanks.

Robert Red Rocket has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Apr 30, 2013

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

"Casual racial stereotyping? I'm sure all my friends and family will want to see this! Better share it."

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
I'm mainly amazed that the group is called "No Hope For the Human Race :smug:".

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

OmniDesol posted:

"Casual racial stereotyping? I'm sure all my friends and family will want to see this! Better share it."

It was a lovely joke when family guy used it, it's a lovely joke now.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Justin Time! posted:

I'm mainly amazed that the group is called "No Hope For the Human Race :smug:".

I have many friends who share memes from them constantly :(
The kind of people who always say "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!" and then post a bunch of low-quality jabs at liberalism that they didn't even independently think of.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

The Casualty posted:

I have many friends who share memes from them constantly :(
The kind of people who always say "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!" and then post a bunch of low-quality jabs at liberalism that they didn't even independently think of.

The campus libertarians at my school unironically used sheeple in their sidewalk chalk advertisements around election time last semester. :ughh:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The campus libertarians at my school unironically used sheeple in their sidewalk chalk advertisements around election time last semester. :ughh:

I didn't notice the word "chalk" the first time I read that and thought they had dressed people up as sheep (or vice versa) and paraded them on sidewalks. Guess they missed the idea for that genius piece of marketing :smuggo:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Here's a long-winded rant for those of us interested in the sciences. It's not as soul-crushingly depressing as the :biotruths: one, but it's got a nice dose of "indoctrination" at the end.
A few comments were clipped out (not part of the discussion). Blue posted the article.

E: ugh, I fail at formatting.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I like how he was flabbergasted that you weren't convinced by his "These 5 things look different" argument.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

One of my high school friends who joined the Air Force after graduation just posted this gem:

"I'm not homophobic or anything, but there allying this Collins guy a hero an treating him as if he just cured cancer, truth is, a hero is a cop, a firefighter, a teacher working for a bull hit salary, a military man/woman ect. Not someone who admits there sexuality, this country is so rear end backwards it sickens me, shout out to our feet less leader barrack Husain Obama who called him to say congrats, yet has never made one all to the victims of the Boston bombings or any fallen soldiers families, glad we elected him again"

Feet less leader?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Trash Boat posted:

I'm curious to know what sort of shitstorm must be brewing in the comments section of these.

Ask and you shall receive.

There wasn't very much argument in the first one as my cousin (blue) was very noncommittal and had a very defeatist "d-oh well, I guess the sanctity of marriage is ruined" attitude. The only interesting conversation to come out of it was about contraception actually.

"Contraception is to sex what bulimia is to eating" :psyduck:

The second post was more interesting. It marked the appearance of good old fashioned bigotry:

"I don't hate homosexuals, I just wish they didn't act so gay!"

The argument did finally manage to tease out my cousin's opinions:

which are that marriage is only a stamp of approval on a relationship that says "Yup! You sure can make babies!"

The conversation eventually got heated:

and he closed down the discussion immediately afterwords.
Nothing was gained, nothing was lost, and everybody walked away with the exact same opinions they walked in with.
Facebook arguments everybody!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'm not sure he understands what palaeontologists mean by a "transitional form", since he talks about the fact all the fossils found are "fully developed" as if a transitional fossil would be qualitatively different. That's not how it works, a transitional fossil is only transitional RELATIVE to at least two other fossils or extant species. Like, if a photo of a child aged 3 and 9 were two species in the fossil record, the a photo of that child aged 5 would be, relative to them, considered a transitional fossil. But 5 is not inherently a transitional age, nothing is.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Tardigrade posted:

Here's a long-winded rant for those of us interested in the sciences. It's not as soul-crushingly depressing as the :biotruths: one, but it's got a nice dose of "indoctrination" at the end.
A few comments were clipped out (not part of the discussion). Blue posted the article.

E: ugh, I fail at formatting.
Oh wow, is that guy Mike 'Hapajap' Miller? Because that's literally his anti-evolution argument verbatim.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Some guy who doesn't understand evolution posted:

Before the flood, there were about 250K species on the planet. You know what? We've got pretty much the complete set. I've been making this argument since 1997, no one has ever given a logical argument against it.

Aren't most low-end estimates of total species on the planet still well over a million? Newer research seems to indicate it's closer to 10 million. Seems like his logic falls apart at the word "same."

Edit: Not that I'd trust his 250,000 figure or agree to the pretense of the "flood," but you have to destroy their internal logic before you can start trying to build a new foundation for understanding.

Blind Pineapple has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Apr 30, 2013

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

That's the self-same line of reasoning. :stare: Orange must be aware of that argument, at least.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Aren't most low-end estimates of total species on the planet still well over a million? Newer research seems to indicate it's closer to 10 million. Seems like his logic falls apart at the word "same."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraminology :colbert:

basically, move the goalposts, allow "evolution" within "kinds" which they renamed baramins to seem more sciencey. So before the flood there were "wolves" and "foxes", after the flood they diversified into the various species of fox and wolf we see today but they only changed a little bit, which is allowed apparently.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Adrastus posted:

Oh wow, is that guy Mike 'Hapajap' Miller? Because that's literally his anti-evolution argument verbatim.

Congratulations, everyone is loving retarded.

Content: This lady is lovely, she posts little puzzles for her friends in the form of her status updates.

teenytinymouse has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Apr 30, 2013

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
I'm not going to say that my nephew is an idiot but I am going to say that preteens share very stupid and confusing things on Facebook.

What does it even mean?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Like Jesus, comment for some generic photogenic redhead, share for some random guy and ignore your rotten toe?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Checking in with some Facebook idiots is always fun unsatisfying and slightly cringe-worthy.

"Once extremists stop intolerance in the name of religion, I'll stop blindly hating religion!"

Seriously, where does he get in his head that this is a reasonable viewpoint? I mean, yeah, obviously there have been really lovely things done in the world, and of course we want lovely things to stop. Hell, I agree with wanting all of those things he listed to stop! But does he really believe that picking fights with door-to-door Jehovah's Witnesses in any way helps that cause?

Number two on our hit parade:

Who is it and why did you steal their funny?
Bonus prize, she likes a page called "gently caress love forever alone" and posts one-million times a day about her boyfriend, pokemon, anime, and school. She was very enthusiastic about getting straight C's this semester at Community College, which is a little :smith:-worthy in and of itself.

And finally, someone who should maybe seek help, given that all she does is post about meltdowns or passive aggressive "I hate it when people" whine-fests.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Share for Eminem.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lamb of Gun posted:

I'm not going to say that my nephew is an idiot but I am going to say that preteens share very stupid and confusing things on Facebook.

What does it even mean?

I wonder if this kind of thing originated as a method to use Facebook as a legitimate attempt at polling between 3 options. I've only ever seen it used for the utterly banal.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Regy Rusty posted:

I wonder if this kind of thing originated as a method to use Facebook as a legitimate attempt at polling between 3 options. I've only ever seen it used for the utterly banal.

Unlikely, since Facebook has actual polls if you want to do actual polling.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Probably 80% of the bullshit conspiracy theories that my conspiracy theory minded friends like/link to on facebook come from https://www.collective-evolution.com. The most recent one is this: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/29/the-extraterrestrial-presence-in-our-world-today-what-you-arent-being-told/. A bunch of words about how Nazis contacted aliens in the spiritual realm, then met up with them for advanced technology secrets (fat lotta good that did them). Apparently Nazis are to this day making flying saucers in Antarctica! Fast forward to today and a bunch of different alien groups are fighting it out over who gets control of earth and its resources and the sheeple are just letting them. The "sources" it provides are pretty great too. Don't worry though, there are some friendly aliens here to help transition you into the wider galaxy: http://alliesofhumanity.org/aoh/allies/.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Lamb of Gun posted:

What does it even mean?

like nd jesus will bless you!!
comment n ur crush will fall in luv w/ u this week!!
share and u will get 2 meet ur fav celeb!1!
ignore an d ur toe will get an infection and fall of
it realy works lol

Colonel Squish posted:

One of my high school friends who joined the Air Force after graduation just posted this gem:

"I'm not homophobic or anything, but there allying this Collins guy a hero an treating him as if he just cured cancer, truth is, a hero is a cop, a firefighter, a teacher working for a bull hit salary, a military man/woman ect. Not someone who admits there sexuality, this country is so rear end backwards it sickens me, shout out to our feet less leader barrack Husain Obama who called him to say congrats, yet has never made one all to the victims of the Boston bombings or any fallen soldiers families, glad we elected him again"

Feet less leader?

What kind of world does this guy live in where Barack Obama didn't even call the victims of the bombings, when it was widely publicized that he went to Boston and held a vigil there? His speech was broadcast and everything. This is ignoring the fact that he doesn't seem to think it's brave at all to reveal your sexuality in a hostile environment such as professional sports.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012
This one's from my university confessions page. I've no idea how serious this person's being.

And for more traditional idiocy, this was posted by an acquaintance from high school:

He spends entirely too much time on Reddit and is constantly spouting memes and poo poo.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

TheWorstAtWords posted:

This one's from my university confessions page. I've no idea how serious this person's being.

And for more traditional idiocy, this was posted by an acquaintance from high school:

He spends entirely too much time on Reddit and is constantly spouting memes and poo poo.

Are they using fake accounts or do they realize that their real name is being attached to this stuff?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ularg posted:

Are they using fake accounts or do they realize that their real name is being attached to this stuff?

The "Confessions" pages usually use a system where you send them a message and they repost it on their page with no identifying info.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

...seriously?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

"They used to say that about Reagan too!"
"And they were right."
"I don't believe in evolution am I a retard too?"
"Yup."

End Scene

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love when girls I knew in high school take pictures of their food.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Francostein posted:

I love when girls I knew in high school take pictures of their food.

That is so not a mustard vinaigrette. It's green and looks like pesto!
Also what, did they separate the components of the salad?
What's with the picture on the plates? Is the restaurant using commemorative plates they bought from museums? Does that salad have an image of Elvis underneath it?
That steak looks good though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

dijon du jour posted:

That is so not a mustard vinaigrette. It's green and looks like pesto!
Also what, did they separate the components of the salad?
What's with the picture on the plates? Is the restaurant using commemorative plates they bought from museums? Does that salad have an image of Elvis underneath it?
That steak looks good though.

It's not from a restaurant, they cooked it themselves (hence the #chefmama in the description).

Also, how do so many people take photos of food and post it on their facebook / instagram / twitter without realising that it looks like a plate of poop? Until amateur food photography became a thing I never realised how truly gross most food looks when you're not about to eat it.

Sometimes I feel like taking a photo of my dinner to show off but then I look at the photo, realise it looks like crap (often literally) and delete it because I know that nobody wants / needs to see that poo poo.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

This is getting dangerously close to Poe's Law territory by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

swampland posted:

"They used to say that about Reagan too!"
"And they were right."
"I don't believe in evolution am I a retard too?"
"Yup."

End Scene

I don't believe in plate tectonics does that make me a retard?

• Locked thread