Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

twoot posted:

50/50 White/Wholemeal bloomers I made today;

That's some professional poo poo you got going on there, great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

twoot posted:

50/50 White/Wholemeal bloomers I made today;

What was the hydration on the dough? Those look like the exact loaves I'd like to make, form-wise, but I suspect the dough I generally make is too wet and flattens out too much.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

What was the hydration on the dough? Those look like the exact loaves I'd like to make, form-wise, but I suspect the dough I generally make is too wet and flattens out too much.

The recipe is here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636. Around 64% hydration. I simply subbed half of the strong white flour for strong wholemeal to make mine.

The baker has recently competed a tv series in the UK aimed at beginners which is where the recipe is from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNz2yJLT5RA 2:35 to 9:00 is the whole process, he also shows how to roll the shape.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

twoot posted:

The recipe is here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_bloomer_84636. Around 64% hydration. I simply subbed half of the strong white flour for strong wholemeal to make mine.

The baker has recently competed a tv series in the UK aimed at beginners which is where the recipe is from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNz2yJLT5RA 2:35 to 9:00 is the whole process, he also shows how to roll the shape.

That show looks pretty neat -- thanks for sharing it.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

twoot posted:

Funny how his looks different than yours ... but yours looks better!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

twoot posted:

That show is awesome. You don't see many shows focusing on bread as the main component. I'll have to watch more of it :)

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Bread people, I made a mistake.

Making a simple no-knead, decided I was cool and figured adding some sugar would be cool for people that wanted it a bit sweeter and less yeasty. Now the dough wobbles and isn't super solid. I know why that is, but how do I fix it now? If it's not right for bread anymore, can I make something else with it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheLawinator posted:

Bread people, I made a mistake.

Making a simple no-knead, decided I was cool and figured adding some sugar would be cool for people that wanted it a bit sweeter and less yeasty. Now the dough wobbles and isn't super solid. I know why that is, but how do I fix it now? If it's not right for bread anymore, can I make something else with it?

What's the recipe and how much sugar did you add?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Knock the air out, reshape it and leave it to rise a second time. Bake when its at the point you want.

It should be fine.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

half of this, added a bit less than a tablespoon i am an idiot.

Edit: put it in a muffin tin, weird breadcups.

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 26, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I finally caught up reading this thread, and I tried making bread!

I can cook most things well, but my bread is always bad. It's a running joke in my family that I don't make bread, I make baseball bats. My first baguette was hard enough that my dad hit a base ball with it, and it didn't even bend.

Armed with kosai03's recipe (with more water instead of milk) and Happy Hat's bread theory, I finally baked my first edible bread!

I messed up a in the process, but it wasn't bad. My yeast didn't foam, and it took forever to rise, so I got more yeast after this.

Next, I tried making hamburger rolls for sloppy joes. (Sorry for the cell phone pic)

They weren't exactly the right shape, but they were delicious. Three were eaten before I could get the picture.

Finally, tonight, I made pretzels.

I used table salt instead of pretzel salt on top (I don't have anything else) and I forgot to brush them with butter. They are good, though. I don't expect them to make it through the night.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
^^^ It feels good finally making the Bread That Doesn't Suck.

In bread news, I picked up both rye and spelt flour. Can I just substitute a % of it into normal recipes? Any suggestions?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

^^^ It feels good finally making the Bread That Doesn't Suck.

In bread news, I picked up both rye and spelt flour. Can I just substitute a % of it into normal recipes? Any suggestions?

Yes. I like adding 30-50% to white. You might need a bit more water. Basic no knead with some spelt is really good.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

Yes. I like adding 30-50% to white. You might need a bit more water. Basic no knead with some spelt is really good.

I really like the taste of it! Loaf came out a bit dense but that's because I ran out of white bread flour and used wholemeal/regular white flour. I also get too impatient while waiting for things to rise.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

I really like the taste of it! Loaf came out a bit dense but that's because I ran out of white bread flour and used wholemeal/regular white flour. I also get too impatient while waiting for things to rise.

Mmmm, it's got a lovely nuttiness. It'll be a bit denser as it has less gluten.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Doh004 posted:

Rye has very little gluten, so for kneaded bread you need to mix it with hard wheat flour. I often use a flour mix that's 60/40 wheat/rye. The dough will be a lot stickier than all wheat dough.

In Northern Europe rye bread is often made with spices. Try mixing in aniseed, fennel seed, caroway and coriander in any combination. Add a small amount of molasses or brown sugar for color, flavor and yeast food.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

therattle posted:

I'd try hotter.

Went up 25 degrees. Also did the water spray directly on the bread when they went in, and then 5 minutes after. I think I could have left this one in a few more minutes but it came out okay.

(made a mess with cornmeal)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Went up 25 degrees. Also did the water spray directly on the bread when they went in, and then 5 minutes after. I think I could have left this one in a few more minutes but it came out okay.

(made a mess with cornmeal)

That looks great. Much improved?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

therattle posted:

That looks great. Much improved?

Almost identical to what the grocery store has for $3.50 so I'm happy with it. Now onto some different flavors...

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
Looong time lurker here, posting some breads.

I've been into bread for a few months and started a spelt... starter... some time in February. I was making bread every day until recently, but I realised that I was eating too much, so now it's more like every other.
Here is a 100% spelt sourdough, not risen a lot because I don't bother kneeding for long enough these days, but I love the taste and texture how it comes out:

This was spelt with butternut squash and chilli powder (not sourdough):

Another non-sourdough 100% spelt, but with more kneeding:

50/50 white/whole wheat:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Placid Marmot posted:

Looong time lurker here, posting some breads.

I've been into bread for a few months and started a spelt... starter... some time in February. I was making bread every day until recently, but I realised that I was eating too much, so now it's more like every other.
Here is a 100% spelt sourdough, not risen a lot because I don't bother kneeding for long enough these days, but I love the taste and texture how it comes out:

This was spelt with butternut squash and chilli powder (not sourdough):

Another non-sourdough 100% spelt, but with more kneeding:

50/50 white/whole wheat:

That color :swoon: How high of a temperature do you go to get that?

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
I set it to 250C and put a metal pizza "stone" on the highest shelf that will let the bread fit without hitting the roof.
When the oven says it has reached 250, I boil 100-200ml of water, quickly put the dough on the pizza stone, then throw the water in the bottom of the oven.
It stays at 250 for 10 minutes, then I look to see how the bread is browning and adjust the temperature to 170-200C based on that, and leave it for 20 more minutes.
I do not open the door once it has shut until after the full 30 minutes (watch out for a lot of steam when throwing in the water and when opening the door!)

Edit: I should note that the top three images have just/mostly household fluorescent lighting, so the colour looks drab, while the lower image has mostly flash for lighting, so it looks much better. They all look better in real life.

Placid Marmot fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 30, 2013

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cinnamon Raisin bread from last night at work.

Usually bake it in loaf pans for the breakfast toast but there is always a piece that isn't the right size so I shape it and bake it off for us to eat.
I'd love to shape all our bread like this but Chef likes the uniformity that a pan gives to it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I made more bread!

Last time, I formed the rolls like meatballs. This time, I pulled the dough into itself until it was smooth on the outside. The rolls were a lot more consistent internally than last time.

Also, I made basic white bread in a loaf pan.

It was everything I could want it to be. :woop:

Hoyt
Mar 23, 2005

Too cool for school

contrapants posted:

Also, I made basic white bread in a loaf pan.

It was everything I could want it to be. :woop:

Holy poo poo that looks fantastic! Recipe?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I never thought I'd be floored by a picture of a loaf of white bread, but drat. Awesome job.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hoyt posted:

Holy poo poo that looks fantastic! Recipe?

It's actually used kosai03's recipe again with a few modifications.

• 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 tbsp active yeast
  • 3 tbsp white sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • about 3 to 4 cups flour

Mix the water, yeast, and sugar and let sit for about 10 minutes. My yeast came right from the fridge, so if it's already room temperature you might not have to wait as long for it to foam up a little.

Then, mix in the salt, olive oil, and about 2 cups of the flour. Stir it around for a bit until it becomes the consistency of runny mashed potatoes.

Dump in another cup of flour and start kneading with your hands. After a minute, if it's still trying to glue itself to your hands, add a little more flour. Do this until the dough is only slightly tacky. If you touch the dough, you should feel it stick slightly, but it shouldn't try to hold on to you when you lift your hand back up. So far, this seems to be the best way for me to tell if I have enough flour without going overboard.

Here's where I messed up: I realized that I never actually added the sugar yet. I added the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. The dough actually became wet and sticky again even though I didn't add any water. A tiny bit more flour and more kneading fixed this.

It was 4 minutes of kneading before I remembered sugar. Then, another 10 minutes of kneading.

Next, roll the dough in your hands by tucking the outside into itself to make the outside as taught as you can. Pour a little bit of olive oil on top, and roll the dough around the bowl to coat it. Then, cover the dough with a damp towel until it rises to twice its size (2 hours).

Lube a loaf pan with olive oil, punch the dough down, and add it to the pan. Slash a 1/2 inch deep groove lengthwise and immediately put it into a 400*F oven for 30 minutes. I didn't attempt to add humidity at all.

The texture and taste are great. It's slightly sweet, which I kind of like.

The Midniter posted:

I never thought I'd be floored by a picture of a loaf of white bread, but drat. Awesome job.

Thank you! :)

Marta Velasquez fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 5, 2013

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011
I made some Guiness and mixed nut (hazelnut,walnut, etc), (wholemeal) bread for the first time. I Haven't made bread for years.

I have 3 questions

1) I mixed about half the nuts into the dough and then at the end put the rest on top. The ones on top unsurprisingly got very burnt. I buy nice breads from the supermarket and they often have seeds (e.g pumpkin seeds), etc all on the outside, but not burnt. How do they do this, by putting the seeds, etc on say half way through the cooking time or something like this?

2) The Guiness (beer if you don't know) did not come through too much on the flavour. You definitely could not identify it in there, it probably added a more subtle flavour. Is it possible to make beer bread that really has the taste of the beer?

3) If i divide the dough into 4 should i reduce the cooking time (which was 30 mins)?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

tc1992 posted:

2) The Guiness (beer if you don't know) did not come through too much on the flavour. You definitely could not identify it in there, it probably added a more subtle flavour. Is it possible to make beer bread that really has the taste of the beer?

I tend to use a bottle of ale as it tends to have more flavour then guinness, (I don't know what it is with guinness but for me atleast, it never holds flavour when added with stuff like if you were doing a beer batter etc) but nothing too expensive so I generally use a Black Sheep Ale, or Spitfire or London Pride (or whatever type of ales you can get in your country). Something easy to get but has lots of flavour and just use it instead of water. Works everytime!

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 4, 2013

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho

contrapants posted:

Then, mix in the salt, olive oil, and about 2 cups of the sugar.

erm

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

That's like a banana bread or cake territory right there.

tc1992
Feb 21, 2011

Fluo posted:

I tend to use a bottle of ale as it tends to have more flavour then guinness, (I don't know what it is with guinness but for me atleast, it never holds flavour when added with stuff like if you were doing a beer batter etc) but nothing too expensive so I generally use a Black Sheep Ale, or Spitfire or London Pride (or whatever type of ales you can get in your country). Something easy to get but has lots of flavour and just use it instead of water. Works everytime!

OK ,will give it a go. You must also be in UK from that list of beers, going to the shops now so will pick something up, reckon a white beer could also be nice. Yeah, really couldn't understand how there was no taste of Guinness at all

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Oops! That should have been flour. :cripes:

Fixed.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

He meant to post in The Macaroni Salad Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you want a stout that is a) more flavorful than guinness and b) not going to break the bank, try Northcoast Old No 38. Lots of flavor there, it should come through in the final bread.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

clockworx posted:

He meant to post in The Macaroni Salad Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA

:stare:

I seriously stared like that during the entire video. I thought this was a large-scale cooking show (no pun intended) like for a big family reunion or something. I was expecting her to use like 5 pounds of macaroni.

She made a mayo smoothie. :barf:

Now I'm enthralled enough to watch all of the other videos.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

axolotl farmer posted:

Rye has very little gluten, so for kneaded bread you need to mix it with hard wheat flour. I often use a flour mix that's 60/40 wheat/rye. The dough will be a lot stickier than all wheat dough.

In Northern Europe rye bread is often made with spices. Try mixing in aniseed, fennel seed, caroway and coriander in any combination. Add a small amount of molasses or brown sugar for color, flavor and yeast food.

I just tried this out (sans the spices for this first time). The dough was super super sticky, but I persevered! Currently rising now and I'll post when it's done.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

I just tried this out (sans the spices for this first time). The dough was super super sticky, but I persevered! Currently rising now and I'll post when it's done.

50/50 whole wheat and rye flour. Tastes really good! The sweetness from the brown sugar comes out only a little bit. This is definitely a flavorful bread and a lot different from the spelt.

I really need to find a way to make my bread go vertical when it bakes. This one looked good after its second rise, but the moment I put it into the oven it kinda deflated. I'm thinking it was too hot and/or I scored the top too deeply? Oven was at 450 to start, then down to 400 to finish it off.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

A rye bread like that is a little harder to work with than a 100% wheat dough. You really need to stretch the dough before you form the loaves.

Stretch and fold until you can feel that the dough has firmed up a lot since you started kneading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

axolotl farmer posted:

A rye bread like that is a little harder to work with than a 100% wheat dough. You really need to stretch the dough before you form the loaves.

Stretch and fold until you can feel that the dough has firmed up a lot since you started kneading it.

I think I'm really bad a kneading or knowing when I'm done kneading. I've watched videos on how to do it all, and I get it in my head, but I've never had a dough that I could take a piece out of, stretch it, and do the window pane test. Instead, it just tears from where I'm pulling. That said, I don't bake with white flour, even though I should as I'm starting out, because I won't eat it (I live by myself).