Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh and /late, but

SaitoBatch posted:

So here's my question, can someone explain how ATs can go into space and not utterly suck? I honestly want to call BS, but I know your team can do it with not space mechas like Arm Slaves in other SRT games.

They don't! There are ATs and AT equipment specifically for space maneuvering, but meanwhile, Chirico's basic Scopedog has a C rank in space, the worst possible terrain rank, which makes the Scopedog pretty bad even with Chirico's skill.

Omnicrom posted:

As for the Impulse it was a much better unit throughout Z1, it was good early on and was still fairly competitive as a backup as the game progressed. Also I think the reason it can't change packs is because the Minerva isn't here, in Z1 it could only swap silhouettes if you deployed the Minerva. The Impulse can change packs on the fly in the DS games to give it the Blast's cannon and Sword's weaponry as additional attacks, but Banpresto presumably felt that would probably take too much effort for a secondary unit to have that happen in Z2.

The weird thing is that in the animation for Impulse's Excalibur, the Sword Silhouette just flies out of nowhere and Force Impulse grabs only the sword without docking.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Endorph posted:

Speaking of Lunamaria, I wish she was a better unit, because her name is Lunamaria loving Hawke. Someone with a name like that should be piloting a super robot, not the Sloppy Seconds Gundam.

It sorta sucks that the SEED guys' asses are glued to their seats, because Lunamaria's a good enough pilot that you want to give her a try in one of the other mechs. At least, she was good enough for me in Regeneration that she got screen time for at least two-thirds of the game.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is this a VA joke I missed?

Yep! Luna's VA is Maaya Sakamoto, who sings Triangular.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunamaria's biggest problem is her joke accuracy basically, although her Ace bonus can someone negate that.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Seeing that statsheet again reminds me what a drat shame it is that the Destiny's Palma Fiocina isn't a proper attack in Z or Z2. I don't think it is in any of the DS games either, come to think of it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Why did Zeta Activates not make it in. :negative:

Also, regarding the Strike Freedom: gold joints work on some suits. The Strike Freedom isn't one of them. The whole thing looks as overdesigned as hell, so I'm personally not a fan.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 29, 2013

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
They should put in "Because You're Waiting" :v:
Also, I'm glad they've kept Camille's turn-around cut-in from Z1, it's just about my favorite cut-in in SRW history.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

On the Zeta BGM front, we're pretty likely to never see the old Opening themes again if they're sticking to the movie versions. They could use the Gackt songs that served as movie OPs though.

Shinn, Jesus and Athrun are all great pilots with great units even with the ZEUTH nerf applied, and you want to use them... and Destiny has a legit great soundtrack... So of course the only track all the units have is Vestige. After Z2 I never want to have to listen to that song again.

Treize has always been a fabulous, magnificent ham of a bastard and having Gundam Superstars Amuro & Char at his side is pretty cool. What he is doing won't become clear for a while (Though it is kind of obvious if you've seen Wing) but it is one of those neat little crossover touches.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

The weird thing is that in the animation for Impulse's Excalibur, the Sword Silhouette just flies out of nowhere and Force Impulse grabs only the sword without docking.

Which is again Laziness. The Force Impulse gets that as an attack late in Z1 and they couldn't be arsed to replace it and presumably didn't want to remove it because that would make the Impulse worse than it already is.

Son Ryo posted:

Seeing that statsheet again reminds me what a drat shame it is that the Destiny's Palma Fiocina isn't a proper attack in Z or Z2. I don't think it is in any of the DS games either, come to think of it.

It's never been its own attack, maybe not anywhere actually. It's been in all the games the Destiny has appeared in except Z2-1, the Palma Fiocina has always been used as a part of the Full Weapon Combination attack and often only in the Dynamic Kill version. I'm guessing the reason is that the way Shinn used it was a Shining Finger analogue and that overlaps with the Destiny's Alondite attack making it redundant. Of course since the drat thing actually could be used effectively at range. Which leads into my absolute pet peeve with the Destiny, I absolutely love the thing since I have a fondness for fashionable asymmetry and SEED Gundams that follow the IWSP's design philosophy, but why did they put a palm mounted cannon on a Gundam that uses entirely hand-held weapons? It would have made more sense from a design philosophy to mount it in the Wrists and have it pop out, and you could STILL have your Shining Finger knock-off by having Shinn fire it between the fingers of the hand after grabbing someone's head.

TK-31 posted:

On the Zeta BGM front, we're pretty likely to never see the old Opening themes again if they're sticking to the movie versions. They could use the Gackt songs that served as movie OPs though.

They've never actually used the Zeta movies yet. They used the designs from A New Translation in Z1, but Z1 also includes the Dijeh as a secret unit and the plotline in Z1, especially with regards to Jerid and Four, follow Zeta over the movies. But yeah, new music would be nice.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The music in Z1 is from the New Translation movies. But you're right, the Dijeh specially makes it really clear they aren't sticking to the movies strictly.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Omnicrom posted:

[The Palma Fiocina has] never been its own attack, maybe not anywhere actually.

It is in the G Generation games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXaYFUJRl6s&t=50s

Of course, it's classified as a hand-to-hand attack and used that way even by pilots that specialize in ranged attacks, which brings with it a whole 'nother set of complaints, but that's neither here nor there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

It is in the G Generation games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXaYFUJRl6s&t=50s

Of course, it's classified as a hand-to-hand attack and used that way even by pilots that specialize in ranged attacks, which brings with it a whole 'nother set of complaints, but that's neither here nor there.

Because it is never used in the series as a ranged weapon. It has been used as a ranged weapon exactly once in a game released before the series ended and the Destiny debuted, specifically to promote the Destiny. Other elements of the suit were changed too so it's likely they just removed that.

There is a single scene in Destiny where a blue beam appears offscreen but we never see what fired it.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Universal Century! :neckbeard: Actually, I've been looking forward to this part because I heard that Shinn and Camille are the best of friends in Z. Something about two pissy teenagers dealing with their Issues together while slaughtering interdimensional monsters brings a warm light to my heart. Although...

quote:

That's...uh...that's one hell of a frowny face, Shinn.

That shot aside, I'm finding the SEED faces hilarious. Did they always look so stoned in the show?

quote:

And once again, it's OZ HQ in Paris. Lady has brought Treize a couple of ZEUTH arrivals of their own, and the soldiers responsible were very careful not to pick a fight under Treize's explicit orders. "Good," he says. "We haven't wasted any of my soldiers' lives." See, he knows that these men are champions from another reality.

And I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. I finished watching Wing just a short while ago but stopped trying to follow the plot somewhere around the time when Zechs hosed off to Antarctica, so I don't really remember what happens now. Treize was always fabulous, though, so I can't wait to see his plans for Amuro and Char.

Are there more Gundams to come? I think Setsuna might need a stage or two to adjust to the Gundampalooza.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 1, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

That's...uh..that's one hell of a frowny face, Shinn.

That shot aside, I'm finding the SEED faces hilarious. Did they always look so stoned in the show?
Welcome to modern Hisashi Hirai character design. Before the 2000s, he had a lot of dynamic character designs with a variety of facial experssions, but that all changed around the time of Gundam SEED. How did this change come about, you ask? Studios kept rejecting his more complex designs over and over again, to the point Hirai just got fed up and went with his "characters with near-emotionless faces that can be very easily interchangeable" designs as a "gently caress YOU!" to studios. But....studios LOVED IT. So, basically Hirai tried to get back at studios for rejecting his work only to get reverse trolled back. He's been weaning off this design a little (see the Linebarrels of Iron anime where there are more than one facial expression per character), but his character designs are very, very flat and fuel for many jokes.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

AradoBalanga posted:

Welcome to modern Hisashi Hirai character design. Before the 2000s, he had a lot of dynamic character designs with a variety of facial experssions, but that all changed around the time of Gundam SEED. How did this change come about, you ask? Studios kept rejecting his more complex designs over and over again, to the point Hirai just got fed up and went with his "characters with near-emotionless faces that can be very easily interchangeable" designs as a "gently caress YOU!" to studios. But....studios LOVED IT. So, basically Hirai tried to get back at studios for rejecting his work only to get reverse trolled back. He's been weaning off this design a little (see the Linebarrels of Iron anime where there are more than one facial expression per character), but his character designs are very, very flat and fuel for many jokes.

His designs are doing pretty well for themselves so far in Galactic Strike Team Majestic Prince. The show is a comedy, so the faces are fluid and deform a lot with expressions and actually stand up to animation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Hirai was doing those sorts of designs long before Gundam SEED. He's just not a good artist. SEED didn't give him a lot of room to do faces but he still had extremely limited variety in character designs. Even his well-before-2000 shows like Gulkiva just look awful. Gulkiva is a show where half the cast are animal people so there's really no excuse for it either.

The reason Hirai seemed to have been chosen for SEED is that Hirai was the protege of another artist, Hirokazu Hisayuki, who worked with SEED's director Mitsuo Fukuda on his two previous shows. (Cyber Formula GPX and GEAR Fighter Dendoh.) Hisayuki was probably the guy they wanted for SEED but it got passed along to Hirai. The rest is horrible horrible samefaced history.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 30, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The reason Hirai seemed to have been chosen for SEED is that Hirai was the protege of another artist, Hirokazu Hisayuki, who worked with SEED's director Mitsuo Fukuda on his two previous shows. (Cyber Formula GPX and GEAR Fighter Dendoh.) Hisayuki was probably the guy they wanted for SEED but it got passed along to Hirai. The rest is horrible horrible samefaced history.
I kinda want to see a parallel universe where Hisayuki did get the character design job for SEED.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I kinda want to see a parallel universe where Hisayuki did get the character design job for SEED.

You and me both, brother. :smith:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

This is one of the most depressing stories I've heard in a long time.

Getting back on topic, are the ZEUTHers ever going to be good for frontline deployment. So far your description of the the ZEUTH bots in both routes has sounded rather lackluster, since they've been nerfed from the last game (I'm guessing for balance reasons). But will they get built up into better, more useful robots as the game goes on?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AradoBalanga posted:

To be unfair to Hisashi Hirai the reason that Linebarrels of Iron looked so good (Hirai was the least ungood thing about that entire debacle) I think was because Hirai was using already well-defined artwork from the manga. Linebarrels' two authors did excellent art and design work, Hirai's anime designs and the manga designs are nearly identical. The spark of creativity in the Machina designs even come through despite the horrible CG they used. Hirai I think has pidgeonholed himself in a bad way (See Fafner in the Azure) but he has merit.

Viola the Mad posted:

This is one of the most depressing stories I've heard in a long time.

Getting back on topic, are the ZEUTHers ever going to be good for frontline deployment. So far your description of the the ZEUTH bots in both routes has sounded rather lackluster, since they've been nerfed from the last game (I'm guessing for balance reasons). But will they get built up into better, more useful robots as the game goes on?

Well the ZEUTH units aren't totally without merit. The S Freedom and I Justice are both pretty good, as are the Destiny and King Gainer. Zambot 3 can do some great combination attack spam if you go that way, and there's a couple of units that pop up later on that I think are downright good. However in this game they don't get upgrades. What you see is what you get. In Z2-2 the ZEUTHers eventually get most of their old finishers back, Gallia gets the ICBM toss, Destiny recovers the Full Weapon Combination, the Turn A reactivates the Moonlight Butterfly, but what we have in Z2-1 here is what we get. Also even after recovering their finishers a lot of ZEUTH units simply aren't as good as they used to be, Z2 seriously ramped up the EN costs on most of their finishing moves. There are some standouts still, I think the Turn A is kind of nuts with a little set-up in Z2-2 and there are a couple of upcoming ZEUTHers who are just great even without their full arsenal.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Omnicrom posted:

Well the ZEUTH units aren't totally without merit. The S Freedom and I Justice are both pretty good, as are the Destiny and King Gainer. Zambot 3 can do some great combination attack spam if you go that way, and there's a couple of units that pop up later on that I think are downright good. However in this game they don't get upgrades. What you see is what you get. In Z2-2 the ZEUTHers eventually get most of their old finishers back, Gallia gets the ICBM toss, Destiny recovers the Full Weapon Combination, the Turn A reactivates the Moonlight Butterfly, but what we have in Z2-1 here is what we get. Also even after recovering their finishers a lot of ZEUTH units simply aren't as good as they used to be, Z2 seriously ramped up the EN costs on most of their finishing moves. There are some standouts still, I think the Turn A is kind of nuts with a little set-up in Z2-2 and there are a couple of upcoming ZEUTHers who are just great even without their full arsenal.

Pretty much. The pattern was pretty obvious that most of the units from the WPC branch were squad busters or pack hunters who don't work optimally when separated. The newcomers from the next couple chapters I keep gushing about are good (one of them is pretty infamous), and a few more trickle in through the next ten chapters give or take who are quite usable, including Amuro and Quattro (if this is a spoiler to you I'm disappointed in you). The drawback is that they're merely good considering they're mid-late-game joins (much like how the current ZEUTH units are, to be fair, decent, but that's not the strongest sell when we already have so much of ZEXIS), and also that they're ZEUTH, so their stories are over for a while and they're only so involved in the current plot.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Caphi posted:

Pretty much. The pattern was pretty obvious that most of the units from the WPC branch were squad busters or pack hunters who don't work optimally when separated. The newcomers from the next couple chapters I keep gushing about are good (one of them is pretty infamous), and a few more trickle in through the next ten chapters give or take who are quite usable, including Amuro and Quattro (if this is a spoiler to you I'm disappointed in you). The drawback is that they're merely good considering they're mid-late-game joins (much like how the current ZEUTH units are, to be fair, decent, but that's not the strongest sell when we already have so much of ZEXIS), and also that they're ZEUTH, so their stories are over for a while and they're only so involved in the current plot.

Yeah, that makes sense. I love the GOONZ crew, but I was looking forward to seeing the Zeta and Turn A guys kick some rear end. :sigh: Guess I'll have to look into Z itself.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
As is mentioned the Zeuth units do much better in Z2 part 2. Although that said, Amuro's unit does quite well even in this game as it comes with everything and is a good base unit.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Viola the Mad posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I love the GOONZ crew, but I was looking forward to seeing the Zeta and Turn A guys kick some rear end. :sigh: Guess I'll have to look into Z itself.

You really should. Z is an awesome game and in terms of shear mechanics I think it may well be the best SRW game. It's the best showing of a metric ton of units including the Zeta, the Super Gundam, and the Hyaku Shiki.

HiKaizer posted:

As is mentioned the Zeuth units do much better in Z2 part 2. Although that said, Amuro's unit does quite well even in this game as it comes with everything and is a good base unit.

To be fair the Destiny is pretty good even without its final attack, King Gainer is serviceable, and some of the later ZEUTH super robots work fine.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Plus, if you're using the Wing, the Zeta fills pretty much the same role but better.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Viola the Mad posted:

DO THIS. MNeidengard has a great guide for the super robot route - and if you've played through the Super route and have a passing knowledge of the featured series' you can get a good experience out of the Real route as well. Z1 is basically the coolest loving thing ever. Great soundtrack, great art and animation, tons of units and a squad system that makes it very easy to avoid having to permanently bench anyone you give a drat about, and some really cool story interactions between the various series' and the overarching plot. I particularly love the finale for the degree to which a huge number of series are integrated into the climax - there's at least a half-dozen shows who you could easily say the last chapter alone could not have been done the way it was without them.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One of the ZEUTH units that is about to show up is singlehandedly responsible for making a good chunk of Z's events some of the best SRW has ever seen. Seriously, I don't even like squad systems (And Z's is pretty involved) but if you like SRW at all then Z is worth every minute of gameplay.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 1, 2013

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Okay wow I have actually started on chapter 26 within the week for once and video recording over here is suddenly hosed for no reason and I really need to take 1000 videos of the new guys, so, uh... I dunno, delayed until further notice. Stupid PSP.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This is going to be awkward. :sigh:

First, the recording thing actually happened. It skips horribly and the video comes out shredded. But having an excuse not to do the LP made me have some Thoughts.

The way this works for me right now is sometime between Sunday and Tuesday, probably, a chapter gets pushed out. A week later, I find an excuse not to work on it, or just do anything else all weekend. The following week, I start feeling bad about it, and eventually give in and sit down and work out of sheer obligation. And every time I have to try to record something five times or do half a turn again because the game doesn't let you save during enemy actions, my heart sinks a little bit more.

The clincher was checking how much game there is left. 36 chapters; nine months at an update every week, and you know drat well I don't even make that.

This feels like the wrong kind of work, and I don't want to do that to the game. And feeling like I have to push a chapter out is even making my translations suffer.

I wish I could say I physically can't continue because my PSP exploded or I have five jobs or I'm spending every evening getting every line perfect and it's killing me. I do wish I could tell you that. The simple fact is that, in a very deep and long and lifestyle-deciding way, I just don't want to do it anymore. And I definitely can't commit to another year or two. Not at this stage, but I'm not sure that'll ever change.

I came to share the story of Crowe and Ime and Gaioh and Uther and Elgan and Baal and the Black Revelations. I'm still sort of excited (in a regretful way) about Gravion and Aquarion (they're the next two) and Roger and Banjou and Kamina and Esther and GIGANTOR and the batshit that goes down in Restoration. Hollow as this may sound, that part hasn't changed. In some part of me, I still totally want to do that, and I really wish that was enough for me. But I can't commit to having this whole thing over my head for another few years. I can't keep saying "Weekend? Oh, I really should stay in all afternoon and take a hundred screenshots of 0 HP life bars" for that long. I'm already slipping because I can barely do that as it is.

I'm truly sincerely sorry and I hope we can still be internet friendly acquaintances.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Oh, well. I always figured doing any SRW LP would be a daunting task. The Original Generation games have 40 or so stages, among the least in the series. Other games have more. Much more.

And that doesn't even cover the route splits.

So it's quite obvious someone can get to the point where they are just forcing themselves to put out updates. I'm not expert on LPing, bt even I know that's no way to LP any game. If you aren't enjoying it, then there's no point doing it, since you don't get paid for this.

It's sad yes, but no one will hate you for it. I won't at least! :D Thanks for what you have contributed!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sad, but I was ready for this from the beginning. Screenshot LPs are tough, Strategy games even more so, and Super Robot Wars, with their absurd length and long stages with tons of text and screenshot-worthy events, are more difficult still. No shame in throwing in the towel, man - nobody has fun when you're just forcing yourself through it. I enjoyed it while it lasted! :golfclap:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Awww. :( I could tell it was a lot of work, much of it tedious, but I appreciated having not only a playthrough but a translation of said playthrough. There are pure text summaries that exist for this game, and there's nothing stopping me from reading them while I play this game (I'm on my second playthrough), but the way it was presented in this thread was much more compelling.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
And so SRW breaks the soul of another LPer. :negative:

Thanks for what you've done so far, Caphi.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

And so SRW breaks the soul of another LPer. :negative:

Thanks for what you've done so far, Caphi.
At least Caphi made it this far, introducing essentially everyone that's important in the game (Originals-wise). The only major Original character in this game that we didn't meet is Cheval Reptail, another knight working alongside Marguerite. And we didn't get his awesome theme, "Impenetrable Emerald". Also, we missed Elgan Roddick going full commando on Stinger and Cohen. And Musashi FINALLY getting to pilot Shin Getter 3. Actually, we did miss some cool moments, but hey, that's life.

On the bright side, we didn't have to put up with the dumb bullshit of the E7 movie! :toot::toot: That's the best thing ever.

Good luck with your future endeavors, Caphi. This has been a blast to read.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a shame but probably kind of inevitable. SRW can be a chore to play on your own sometimes, let alone for other people.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Well, that sucks but is understandable. Best of luck to ya, man, and thanks for all you've done.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'm sadened to see this LP go, but thanks for all the hard work you put into it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You got me to care about the Z2 originals (and some other characters) a little bit more than MNeidengard's summary did, and the semi-weekly updates went a long way towards getting me to finally shell out for a PSP.

Thanks for all the hard work, it was a fun ride while it lasted. And of course good luck in future endeavors, though I suppose you won't need it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Someone in one of the threads once threw out the idea of collaboration. If it ever happens, I'm still up for doing the translation; I know it would be the majority of the work on an SRW by many measures, but it's the part I actually enjoyed. If there's one part I can accuse of actually wearing down my soul, I think it was the actual gameplay, doing it and recording it and sometimes doing it over again; this is pretty tedious even when it's being skipped en masse (and I know that resentment was bleeding into the commentary). On the other hand, the quest of telling the story and taking even a distant shot at conveying the characters is probably what kept me going this long. The reactions to people like Watta, Setsuna, Lockon, and Esther are what will bring bittersweet tears to my eyes, and all the crazy upcoming gags and plot twists will be my regrets.

tl;dr: The gameplay is what killed me. If an opportunity comes to do the writing part, shoot me a line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh well. I'm sad we couldn't make it all the way, but I applaud your efforts none the less. Godspeed on future endeavors.

• Locked thread