Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wasabi the J posted:

This and this is what happens to me when you fuckers get too goddamn AWACS geeky.

PDS=Passive Detection System, which includes the "cheek" antennae, and a small antenna under the nose and tail...all missing because this is an old as gently caress photo, like 90% of the AWACS pictures out there.
HDI=Helldump Immunity, a GiP Legend™ who became AIDS CURES FAGGOTS and got banned for drunkposting in the E/N tranny thread. He was also an Electronic Combat Officer, the individual that manages and interprets PDS, on NATO AWACS.

WP CURES PALESTINE posted:

Who needs 35s when you have f-18s and av8bs

The Marines, apparently.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Look at those tiny little bitch engines :colbert:

It works on another level, because they're whiny as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

This and this is what happens to me when you fuckers get too goddamn AWACS geeky.

I'm forced to assume that this is what they meant.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wasabi the J posted:

HDI is one of the now curebro posters, not an AWACS thing

e: f, b

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
lol a lot of AWACS haters here!!!

I hate awacs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I honestly thought of a Hot Dick Injection, due to years of latent homoerotic tendencies cultivated by the military.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's eerily accurate to AIDS CURES FAGGOTS.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

WP CURES PALESTINE posted:

Dear Aviation wings of other branches, the USMC are still flying this:

and this:

And we're still better than you. Thanks all the same but I think we have rotary wing covered.

Oh having a few of these:

And these:

Probably doesn't hurt either.

:lol:

Not even going to respond to this post.

Okay, one response: I want to see a USMC MAGTF organic air wing go up, all on their own, against someone with a decent air force, just once, if only to shut them the hell up.

Also yeah, it's a LITENING pod as others have pointed out, the bomb is a GBU-12 500 lbs Paveway II LGB.

The Hornet has a GBU-32 1000 lbs JDAM and a GBU-16 1000 lbs Paveway II LGB.

And honestly if you have a load shift in flight you're pretty much hosed regardless, unless it's a really small/light load, you have plenty of altitude/airspeed to recover in, and a very competent/skilled crew.

Unfortunately most load shifts become apparent very shortly after taking flight, which means the vast majority of them occur on or immediately after takeoff, when you have neither altitude nor airspeed for recovery.

Godholio posted:

PDS=Passive Detection System, which includes the "cheek" antennae, and a small antenna under the nose and tail...all missing because this is an old as gently caress photo, like 90% of the AWACS pictures out there.
HDI=Helldump Immunity, a GiP Legend™ who became AIDS CURES FAGGOTS and got banned for drunkposting in the E/N tranny thread. He was also an Electronic Combat Officer, the individual that manages and interprets PDS, on NATO AWACS.

I.e. the person who shams even by NATO standards.

Godholio posted:

The Marines, apparently.

Something something Henderson Field something something abandoned by the Navy something something STOVL something something Chesty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjoMQRUWEe8

JDAMs are loving awesome.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
:nws:Combat in Afghanistan:nws:

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Ikarus posted:

Not to mention that the initial report was they had a load of heavy vehicles, so if they came unsecured in that regime of flight, as soon as they tumbled over the load could've ended up on the side or the ceiling. There is literally no way to save it in any of those situations.

Poor guys.

A friend with info on the crash told me it was 5 MRAPs, he didn't know which models specifically.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Look at those tiny little bitch engines :colbert:

Seriously. They don't even have blades.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Holy poo poo!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Its wild that that dude sits up and is conscious for a bit :gonk:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

:lol:

Not even going to respond to this post.

Okay, one response: I want to see a USMC MAGTF organic air wing go up, all on their own, against someone with a decent air force, just once, if only to shut them the hell up.

And when was the last time USAF did that? WW2? Oh wait, that was the Army back then...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

And when was the last time USAF did that? WW2?

Iraq had one of the more capable air forces in the world in 1991. They were second-tier, but there are only a handful of countries that were better (most of which were our allies). Otherwise, I'd say Vietnam and Korea as well.

And the AF was operated independently from the ground Army starting in 1941...that's like saying the Marines enjoyed their success while working for the Navy. The USAAF was separate and officially equal to the ground forces, with its own GHQ and everything.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
^^^e;fb

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

And when was the last time USAF did that? WW2? Oh wait, that was the Army back then...

Iraq had the 4th largest AF back in Desert Storm, but after the first 38 MiG kills they started running to Iran. About 115 or so got away because the U.S. was expecting them to run to Jordan.

Rundown of the engagements here. The vast majority were Eagle victories. Even an A-10 and F-15E got kills against helos. (The latter was actually a hit with a bomb when it was about 200 ft off the ground!)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I love how people point to Desert Storm and it's low pK (probability of kill) for air-to-air missiles. What people don't realize is that a ton of them were fire outside of parameters (more than half, iirc), and most kills were made by the first of two missiles fired. So the second one inherently missed.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/K72KTxM.jpg:nws:

:stare:

Also, gently caress mines and gently caress Afghanistan.

Something not so horrible that I ran across:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsaWhho4bkQ

Things got a little wild there in the late 90s, but eventually we got the autonomous killing machines we know and love today.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 1, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jesus loving Christ.

A warning about him getting his face blown halfway off would have been nice in advance.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Props to the soldiers for their life saving efforts. Hopefully he pulled through despite the horrific injuries.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The NEW Military Pictures & Youtube Thread - A bunch of air force talk about planes and a bunch of people who have never seen ana get blow'd up

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dagestan massacre video advertisement.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
747 Crash at Bagram http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/may/01/747-cargo-plane-crash-bagram-airbase-video

longer vid http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c32_1367332518

11b1p fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 1, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Posted a couple pages back

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

Christoff posted:

Posted a couple pages back

DAMMIT

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

nope. Not watching this.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
"It looks quite foggy up there, should we turn back?"
"Nah, how bad can it be?"

Norwegian mountains at its finest:

Bottom picture is a long invisible drop, it was also a lot of wind.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

This may be a stupid question but is the guy who recorded it on the helmet cam a medic?

Nog
May 15, 2006

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

This may be a stupid question but is the guy who recorded it on the helmet cam a medic?

No

That dismount IED was the scariest thing about that whole video. Finding normal IEDs meant for our trucks never seemed like a big deal, but dismounts always felt more personal.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
MAGTAF still better than the entire Air Force

SOURCE!

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

TRANS PLT lol GBS platoon.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Booblord Zagats posted:

SOURCE!

Holy poo poo wtf Air Force.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

Holy poo poo wtf Air Force.

Rumor I've heard is that they had 3-4 patch designs prior to that one that got shot down as "too offensive/inappropriate/whatever" so they submitted that one as a "gently caress it, I don't care anymore" protest patch, and it got approved, which honestly probably says more about the leadership than it does the students.

Still a dumb patch.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Booblord Zagats posted:

SOURCE!

This make me feel very proud about my branch.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iyaayas01 posted:

Rumor I've heard is that they had 3-4 patch designs prior to that one that got shot down as "too offensive/inappropriate/whatever" so they submitted that one as a "gently caress it, I don't care anymore" protest patch, and it got approved, which honestly probably says more about the leadership than it does the students.

Still a dumb patch.

One of my friends has a patch from her husband's (Navy) primary class with a similar story - their initial design got nixed, so they submitted one with rainbows and sunshine with "moderate unicorn activity in vicinity of airfield" written at the bottom, though it was before the latest My Little Pony fad. I wish I had a picture of it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

i just wanna yell skinnys in technicals now

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

McSpatula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSjr24zl85o

Holy poo poo, this is really a thing.. please tell me they don't play this on AFN.

Forget Bagram Batman, now there's the J-bad Joker.

I loving love the Duffelblog

Also Bagram Batman gave an interview.

And has a facebook page.

Any idea how the Tacomas performed compared to a Hilux?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
lol i just realized batman's rank is the batman thing. i thought it was just some faggy airman from pao v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
let me just click on this advertisement here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread