Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Man, I haven't had a failed download in ages (finger crossed).

And I grab all the latest/most popular distros for my girlfriend.

My girlfriend loves linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Does anyone here use the Xsnews IPv6 server (reader.ipv6.xsnews.nl)? I've been getting pretty erratic speeds (~165 KBps vs 2.5 MBps normally) and spotty connectivity lately and I was wondering if it's on their end or if there's something wrong with my IPv6 setup since I'm getting a little packet loss on pings.

I have pretty good speeds here , i never max my bandwidth . I have 8mbps , my max download speed is 960 , i usually get 870kbps-910kbps . Maybe something is wrong with your ipv6 tunnel . Are you using sixxs ?

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I had to cancel my newshosting account. For some reason their speeds have been horrendous, and nothing has been completing. I tried switching to supernews but had the exact same problems. I signed up on astraweb, and it seems to be working great, but does anyone have suggestions for any other service I might try? The OP is a bit old.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Frustratingly I just lost my $5 a month special NewsgroupDirect account because it had been over 24 hours since a payment had failed before I was able to make changes on WorldPay's site, and their support didn't respond to my ticket before the account was closed – my card was stolen so a new one was issued, which took 4 days to arrive.

Are there any current deals remotely close to that one on quality and price?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Caseman posted:

I had to cancel my newshosting account. For some reason their speeds have been horrendous, and nothing has been completing. I tried switching to supernews but had the exact same problems. I signed up on astraweb, and it seems to be working great, but does anyone have suggestions for any other service I might try? The OP is a bit old.

This comes up on like every page. No host is perfect. Best is to have more than one, so if something doesn't complete on one it will fill in from another. I have accounts at like 5 different hosts (block accounts so in the long run it doesn't cost any more, besides losing out on volume discounts I suppose) and I've never had an incomplete.

In short your mistake was canceling your existing account before adding a new one.

Edit: I guess to be most helpful, here's what I use:
NewsgroupDirect
Blocknews
Tweaknews
theCubenet

Also you can add the EU servers as backup servers, sometimes they have different content. And you can set the least cost-effective hosts to be backups as well so they only get used when needed.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 25, 2013

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
For what it's worth, I've emailed NGD asking if they'll reinstate my account given the circumstances. If they choose to do so, I'll be sure to let people here know.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
I use Atraweb with a couple of free servers as backups. They don't have the best speeds but they work fine random missing articles.

johny006
Apr 6, 2013

by T. Finninho
I'm in Usenet for many years and I liked it. But now I'm fed up with it. All files I try to download are password protected or can not be downloaded or other issues. I used already many different sites to find Nzb files. I used Newznab sites, and classic search engines like nzbfriends or nzbclub, was a member on paid nzb sites (from all others surely the best, but the nzb choise is low) - all they can not provide good Nzb files to provide us, usenet users, best download experience. So my question to the community: how to handle this problem? Do you have a place with verified Nzb files (like some torrent tracker do for example)?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I use binsearch a lot.
You can generally find some trusted names or groups that consistently provide clean files.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
NGD just gave me a one-use discount code to set up a new account on their $5 a month deal. Hats off to them for customer service.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Supernews (Giganews) unlimited account & NewsgroupDirect (Highwinds) block account seems to be a winning combination. I'd been coming across a few posts that were only about 85% complete on Supernews and the NGD block account seems to be working well at making up the difference and giving me complete downloads. NGD has another one of those 500GB for $20 promotions going on until May 5 on their blog.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I've had a good experience with Astraweb the last few years. Only recently have I had to tack on a fill server and I chose TweakNews for that.

I routinely max out my 30mbit connection pulling half of my connections from Astraweb US and half from Astraweb EU.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Whenever I try and download things using SABnzb on Windows 8 is says it's downloading at 1kb/s, then it completes the download really fast and says 'Download failed'. I'm downloading very recent things that are not outside my retention period. I'm using Supernews, and there shouldn't be any issues with my provider or my ISP. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this? Thanks.

Blaisedell fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 27, 2013

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

That usually means the files have been deleted from the server.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
I'm running windows 8 and the folder I have sanzbd dump completed jobs into is shared on the network with everyone, the folder it creates can be seen by everyone but the files inside cannot and the only way I can fix it is to unshare the top level folder and reshare it. What is going on :(

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm getting lots and lots of failed downloads at the moment. Even when I try and repair manually, I'm finding lots of RARs with invalid checksums and missing PAR files. I have Supernews as my primary host, and then backup block accounts from Astraweb, Blocknews and Tweaknews and NewsXS, but still no joy. This seems to mostly affect TV shows.

Is this likely to be due to lovely posts? Is anyone else finding this? This has only started happening in the past couple of months (i previously almost never had failed downloads), and I'm concerned it might be something to do with my downloading setup.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Teabiscuit posted:

I'm running windows 8 and the folder I have sanzbd dump completed jobs into is shared on the network with everyone, the folder it creates can be seen by everyone but the files inside cannot and the only way I can fix it is to unshare the top level folder and reshare it. What is going on :(

Sounds like wacky windows permissions. I'm not Windows 8, but in Win7 you need to right click on the folder, then click properties > security > advanced > change permissions > select user > edit.

moron posted:

I'm getting lots and lots of failed downloads at the moment. Even when I try and repair manually, I'm finding lots of RARs with invalid checksums and missing PAR files. I have Supernews as my primary host, and then backup block accounts from Astraweb, Blocknews and Tweaknews and NewsXS, but still no joy. This seems to mostly affect TV shows.

Is this likely to be due to lovely posts? Is anyone else finding this? This has only started happening in the past couple of months (i previously almost never had failed downloads), and I'm concerned it might be something to do with my downloading setup.

What version of SAB are you running? I hadn't updated in a while and the newest version is handling previously bad downloads much better.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho

EC posted:

Sounds like wacky windows permissions. I'm not Windows 8, but in Win7 you need to right click on the folder, then click properties > security > advanced > change permissions > select user > edit.

I have to do that for every new download is the issue. I hate windows file sharing :(

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Teabiscuit posted:

I know this might not be ideal but I just have the whole root of the drive shared with read permissions set and everyone can see the files no problem.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's annoying that my speeds around this time on Sunday night have been 400-800 kbps for the last few weeks when normally I can max out my 50 megabit connection. Usage must be insane compared to normal at the moment.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Who is your provider? If it is supernews try their european servers. I have found it fares better than the american one. In case you don't know the address it is

news.eu.supernews.com

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Teabiscuit posted:

I have to do that for every new download is the issue. I hate windows file sharing :(

Not sure what is causing this, but it should be easy enough to add a script that will fix the permissions on each completed file. Have you tried reinstalling sabnzbd and deleting + recreating the share?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Does sickbeard have any way of marking a NZB bad? I keep having an issue for where it finds one NZB which turns out to be corrupt/missing/passworded so the download fails. sab shows the download as failed but if I search again from sickbeard it just downloads the same NZB file again.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho

ThinkFear posted:

Not sure what is causing this, but it should be easy enough to add a script that will fix the permissions on each completed file. Have you tried reinstalling sabnzbd and deleting + recreating the share?

I'll probably end up writing a script to do it, did try reinstalling sanzbd and deleting/recreating the share. Everything was shared correctly but any new files still ended up unshared.

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.

Teabiscuit posted:

Everyone doesn't include "guest", so make sure that account is enabled and applied on the share if your other machines don't have have matching usernames on the SAB box. Also, are you unpacking your downloads on a different drive or machine? SAB does a move on the files when its done, and move maintains the permissions of the file where it came from which might not be what you want for sharing.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

moron posted:

EDIT: This did happen to me all the time until I upgraded to SABnzbd 0.7.11. :D

Rhaegar fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 29, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm not sure if there's anybody here that would know this, or if I should go to the forms and talk to the devs...

How exactly are files created with Sickbeard running under Unix? If I set a GID will files created obey that GID (and thus be owned by the group I specify rather than the default group of the user running sickbeard? Likewise (and I think I know the answer to this one) are utilities like chmod found via $PATH or some other way?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

Does sickbeard have any way of marking a NZB bad? I keep having an issue for where it finds one NZB which turns out to be corrupt/missing/passworded so the download fails. sab shows the download as failed but if I search again from sickbeard it just downloads the same NZB file again.

Nope and it's annoying. There's ignore_words you can use to filter out poo poo from certain groups or individuals but that's about it. What I usually do is check the history, see where the NZB is coming from and disable that source, run the search manually again then re-enable the source later.

That is one feature I like in CouchPotato, it keeps a list of releases and you can mark ones off as bad and it will just grab a different one.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm not sure if there's anybody here that would know this, or if I should go to the forms and talk to the devs...

How exactly are files created with Sickbeard running under Unix? If I set a GID will files created obey that GID (and thus be owned by the group I specify rather than the default group of the user running sickbeard? Likewise (and I think I know the answer to this one) are utilities like chmod found via $PATH or some other way?

If you setgid on a directory, then yes, files created will obey that. You'd want whatever group the sickbeard user runs as to have write access to that directory. I'm not sure where the option in Sickbeard would to to change GIDs, but since that requires changing to a different user, I very much doubt if it does it.

It almost certainly uses os.chmod() from Python rather than a binary. If it did use a binary, it's unlikely that Sickbeard has an environment to search (either through '/usr/bin/env chmod') the way you're thinking of it, searching $PATH, or whatever, because it's not invoked under a login shell. That means that you can't manipulate $PATH without explicitly changing the startup script or changing your default $PATH resolution order (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin for init scripts on RHEL/Fedora, not sure about Debian-alikes). You can check /proc/${pid}/environ if you want, where ${pid} is the PID of Sickbeard.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So pretend when I said Sickbeard I actually said SabNZBD, because that's actually what I meant to say.

The reason I care about chmod is that I'm running on Solaris, and the "solaris" chmod (/usr/bin/chmod) properly understands the NFSv4 ACLs that are in use, whereas GNU chmod (/usr/gnu/bin/chmod) does not, and just messes everything up. So I want to be sure I'm using /usr/bin/chmod and not /usr/gnu/bin/chmod.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

So pretend when I said Sickbeard I actually said SabNZBD, because that's actually what I meant to say.

The reason I care about chmod is that I'm running on Solaris, and the "solaris" chmod (/usr/bin/chmod) properly understands the NFSv4 ACLs that are in use, whereas GNU chmod (/usr/gnu/bin/chmod) does not, and just messes everything up. So I want to be sure I'm using /usr/bin/chmod and not /usr/gnu/bin/chmod.

Same argument applies:
code:
/usr/share/SABnzbd/cherrypy/wsgiserver/__init__.py:            try: os.chmod(self.bind_addr, 0777)
/usr/share/SABnzbd/sabnzbd/misc.py:                                os.chmod(path, int(mask, 8) | 0700)
/usr/share/SABnzbd/sabnzbd/misc.py:def set_chmod(path, permissions, report):
/usr/share/SABnzbd/sabnzbd/misc.py:        os.chmod(path, permissions)
/usr/share/SABnzbd/sabnzbd/misc.py:                    set_chmod(root, umask, report)
/usr/share/SABnzbd/sabnzbd/misc.py:                        set_chmod(os.path.join(root, name), umask_file, report)
/usr/share/SABnzbd/sabnzbd/misc.py:                set_chmod(path, umask, report)
/usr/share/SABnzbd/sabnzbd/misc.py:            set_chmod(path, umask_file, report)
I'm 99% sure SAB also uses os.chmod, as any sane developer would do so as not to worry about different chmod flags on operating systems they don't want to test.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So basically it comes down to how Python is compiled and what os.chmod is actually doing behind the scenes.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

So basically it comes down to how Python is compiled and what os.chmod is actually doing behind the scenes.

Yes and no. It's not really down to "how is Python compiled" and more of "does Python support this feature at all", which I don't think it does, regardless of compile-time options. I'm not sure how Solaris exposes the ACLs, but chmod calls out to libraries, not a binary. It may have a terrible API in Solaris, it may not be an oft-requested feature, the devs may not have gotten to it, etc. Unsure. Anyway, you should work around it this way.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

Teabiscuit posted:

Right click on the folder that's being shared, properties > security, click advanced, click add, click select a principal and enter "Everyone" and click OK. Check what permissions you want and click OK, OK, OK. The "Everyone" account will now inherit whatever permissions you selected on new files in that directory.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho

Hyrax posted:

Also, are you unpacking your downloads on a different drive or machine? SAB does a move on the files when its done, and move maintains the permissions of the file where it came from which might not be what you want for sharing.

This is the problem, resolved it by sharing my incomplete directory.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I have sickbeard set to download propers, it doesn't delete the episode it's replacing though. Is this how it's supposed to work? I don't see a setting to delete files.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ashex posted:

I have sickbeard set to download propers, it doesn't delete the episode it's replacing though. Is this how it's supposed to work? I don't see a setting to delete files.
It does for me. Since the new file gets renamed to the same thing as the old file, it ends up replacing it. I'm guessing you use release specific information in the renaming scheme?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone else seeing Sickbeard grabbing password protected downloads lately? The weird thing is they're coming from the SB index.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyone else seeing Sickbeard grabbing password protected downloads lately? The weird thing is they're coming from the SB index.

Yes, but it's not so weird considering that the indexing is automated. Scammers pack encrypted RARs inside RARs to evade being filtered out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Keito posted:

Yes, but it's not so weird considering that the indexing is automated. Scammers pack encrypted RARs inside RARs to evade being filtered out.
Oh it's weird that I would think the SB index would be more curated than most. Guess not!