Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

fatpat268 posted:

Don't waste money on that hori controller. Get a snes to wii/gc adaptor from retrousb, and you got the exact same functionality.

About a year too late on that advice. I honestly enjoy it, although I do kinda kick myself over passing over a relatively cheap one I saw in a nearby used game shop, but it was purple and I've been a little anal about having all my gamecube stuff being black.

BrokenKnees fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

flyboi posted:

I have a scaler and the gba looks great on my setup but everyone I've ever talked to about the gba player states that it is 480i on the gamecube and as far as my xrgb mini can provide it can confirm that. I hope someone can prove me wrong but honestly it looks beautiful on my tv so I am kind of indifferent.

Hold down the B button on power on. Tada, progressive GB Player.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Argh, finally got a refurbished controller for my 5200 and now it won't start! Delightful.
Finally got a/v cables for my dreamcast, don't have any games yet. (e: Is it files to talk about how my attempt at burning a boot disc seems to have failed as well?)
Man, this is excruciating.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 1, 2013

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

Man those are nice. Are they emulators or real old school hardware with a new shell? If they are emu's are there any quirks or non working games? I just got my old GBC back from a friend I traded it too years ago. And while I play I keep wishing the screen were lit with something other than my stupid worm light.

Actually I think the most important question, how are the buttons and dpad? I have yet to meet a third party nintendo replica that felt right.

The dpad is... meh. Unfortunately you can press it in and activate all four directions... and can be amusing in some games. That said, it's actually fairly responsive, and I don't find the dpad to be much of a hindrance in gb games. The buttons feel good as well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Geez I had no idea the Gameboy Player and the disc were so rare, maybe I should pick up the 40 dollar one with the disc I saw at a liquidation outlet.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
RGGE: Summer Games

2. Will you ship international?

No, I'd really rather not ship internationally.

3. A list of your consoles

Retro Duo, toaster NES, non-working N64, fat PS2.

4. Favorite genres of game

I like pretty much anything, honestly.

5. Any specific requests.

I would really like a working N64, an actual SNES of any stripe, and games for either system.

6. You may include an optional "do not send" list. Don't want 5 EA titles showing up in the mail? Say so.

Here's my RF Generation profile. It's a partial list at the moment, I'll complete it after I go home on the 9th for summer break (there's a shitload of NES games at my house that aren't on it, and an even bigger shitload of PSX and Genesis games), but basically don't send me anything on this list.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Dammit, is there nowhere in the USA that stocks female SCART connectors? I wanna make my own Euro-RGB21 adapters instead of spending at least $25+shipping on one :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Holy poo poo this only tangentially related to this thread but I just popped open Steam and there's a new Shadowrun game coming out in June, and it looks just like the SNES Shadowrun but prettier. And it's looking to be like $20, too, and it has ridiculously low system requirements to boot [yay my broke-rear end PC can run it!].

It's also set in Seattle, which is awesome.

I am very excited. SNES Shadowrun is one of my favorites on the platform, and I've got a stack of Shadowrun pen and paper sourcebooks because I keep trying to get a thing started with my local nerd friends.

e. and the soundtrack is being done by the people behind the original game soundtracks too, holy dickens :allears: deluxe pack comes with the soundtrack and some short stories, gonna buy that deluxe pack

e2. Now that I think about it, I think I do remember hearing something about this a long time ago, I must've totally forgotten about it until now

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 1, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Holy poo poo this only tangentially related to this thread but I just popped open Steam and there's a new Shadowrun game coming out in June, and it looks just like the SNES Shadowrun but prettier. And it's looking to be like $20, too, and it has ridiculously low system requirements to boot [yay my broke-rear end PC can run it!].

I am very excited. SNES Shadowrun is one of my favorites on the platform, and I've got a stack of Shadowrun pen and paper sourcebooks because I keep trying to get a thing started with my local nerd friends.

e. and the soundtrack is being done by the people behind the original game soundtracks too, holy dickens :allears: deluxe pack comes with the soundtrack and some short stories, gonna buy that deluxe pack

e2. Now that I think about it, I think I do remember hearing something about this a long time ago, I must've totally forgotten about it until now

It had a hugely successful Kickstarter last year side-by-side with Wasteland 2 which also looks awesome.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

What the gently caress, PAL Mega Man X is now worth £60 for a cart-only copy? Oh god why did I sell mine in 1998, it had the box and manual and other crap and probably even the small plastic bag the cart was in, gently caress me I was a dumb little poo poo :negative:

Looks like Final Fantasy VI Advance is pretty drat expensive now as well. Also, half the carts on eBay look like dodgy bootlegs, don't ship to my part of the world, or don't have pictures on the listing. Most of them don't look quite as bad as this, though, check out that amazing Nintendo logo on the label. I'm sure this is perfectly legit :downs:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Code Jockey posted:

I think they said they'd be adding content that directly ties into both the SNES and Sega Shadowrun games, too. (Maybe that was a stretch goal or something, I forget.)

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
I finally figured out how to open the 21 pin connector on the OEM SFC RGB cable. Push each of the four tabs in, turn the fastener, repeat. Seems the caps were fine and after putting it back together I got it working with the XRGBmini. Feel kind of stupid about the whole situation, but at least everything's working well. No checkerboard effect either, unlike what I get using the non OEM S-video I picked up for my J-NTSC N64 :cry:

Another day, another :retrogames:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

I like to think that the original SNES Shadowrun team was fueled simply by their hatred of what Microsoft did with the game on the 360. And yup, the game, aesthetically at least, looks very much like the SNES version of the game. It has the original overworld music in the game, too!

:allears:

ACID POLICE posted:

Dammit, is there nowhere in the USA that stocks female SCART connectors? I wanna make my own Euro-RGB21 adapters instead of spending at least $25+shipping on one :(

Have you considered just opened up the scart connectors and just rewiring them? It's surprisingly easy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jake Armitage is a playable character as well.

Now we need a Kickstarter for Nightshade 2.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

WickedIcon posted:

I'm actually sort of tempted to try and get a complete N64 collection. Looking at the vg price charts page for it, I already have a lot of the expensive games from my childhood, so that'll make it easier.

Your biggest worries are Conker's Bad Fur Day, Worms Armageddon, Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut (The only $100+ N64 cart), Harvest Moon 64, Ogre Battle 64 and I think that's it for any games worth $40-50+

Anything with Mario or Zelda in it runs $20+

The rest is mostly cheap.

I wish I had the money to grab the last ten carts I need. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RGGE:Summer Games

Yes, I will.

Famicom, NES, Super Famicom, SNES, Game Boy, PlayStation 1/2/3 (the PS2 can play import games), Saturn (set up for import games), Dreamcast, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, 3DS

My favorite "genre" would be strange and esoteric games. The weird and unusual.

Don't worry too much about whether I'll like something or not. If you put something in that box that surprises me then I'll come away from this happy.

Comedy options: Densha de Go! controllers, Chakan graphic novels and the board game, GBA Player

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 2, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

http://shop.retrogate.com/EverDrive-N8-NES-ver-EDN8-NES.htm

e: I thought we had a :goonrush:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 1, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

$85 @ 10+... do we have enough interest?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
RGGE: Summer Games

Nope

NES, SNES, GC, Wii, Wii-U, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Duo-R, 360, PS3 (Is a fully BC one so PS1/PS2), GBA, DS, 3DS, PSP Go & Vita. I should stop buying these things.

RPGs, platformers, anything but fpos

Nope, I got flash carts and the sort so feel free to come out of left field

6. You may include an optional "do not send" list. Don't want 5 EA titles showing up in the mail? Say so.

I would appreciate no sports or fps games thanks

flyboi fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 1, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I can't buy the whole lot but I'm interested.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:krad: RGGE: Summer Games :krad:

Yes but I prefer North America

NES, SNES, GC, Wii, Genesis + 32X and CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, GBA, DS

90s, Puzzle, Radical, Obscure

Anything Sega will be much loved. Anything I have not heard of is interesting.

6. You may include an optional "do not send" list.

No sports games please. Mainstream Gamecube and PS1/PS2 games I probably already have.

Heran Bago posted:

I totally stole someone's style and made this big spergin' spreadsheet for games I have and particularly want. There's also the steam wishlist.

Elfster Summer Santa, hope this hope.

VV Thanks. I know what I like. :tubular:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 30, 2013

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Heran Bago posted:

90s, Radical

I approve of your categorizing system.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, god, what have I done!?

I've got to replay a few Wonder Boy games just so I can specifically identify what this man is destroying.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Random Stranger posted:

Made a sound investment.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Random Stranger posted:

I've got to replay a few Wonder Boy games just so I can specifically identify what this man is destroying.

Probably made the best purchase logged in this thread since it began.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

I'm in.

Can't believe it sold out already though!

midge posted:

Probably made the best purchase logged in this thread since it began.

How quickly we forget flyboi's Titler purchase.

Mookster
Jun 27, 2006
Oh look, it's a sailboat!
I just arrangede to buy these for about $26 on a Danish ebay-ish site:

The lot comes with a Network Adapter - is that useful for any games these days besides PSO on private servers? Not that I really plan to use it I'm just curious. And it will be nice to finally have a piece of Nintendo memorabilia plugged into one of our GC's various available holes :getin:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mookster posted:

The lot comes with a Network Adapter - is that useful for any games these days besides PSO on private servers?

Networked Mario Kart: Double Dash. Also Kirby Airride, if my memory is correct.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Can't believe it sold out already though!

I thought "Back Ordered" status just meant it was still in the pre-order stage. :stare:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^ hope you're right and that would make sense

zenintrude posted:

Dang I thought getting in early-ish in the morning we'd beat the sell out, geeeez. I can't buy the entire lot myself, but definitely count me in on the group by at $85.

Also I just realized the SD card goes into the "hand hold" area of the NES cart. That is freaking genius.

(I'll get my RGGE info up eventually too)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Networked Mario Kart: Double Dash. Also Kirby Airride, if my memory is correct.

For shits and giggles I priced out what a Mario Kart: Double Dash network would cost for 16 players and came up with $1-$2k for an 8-screen setup with everything required. Tack on an extra $1k if you need component cables. Having said that, the only advantage this gives you over a 4-console setup is not having to do a 2-way split screen (every individual kart gets its own screen with an 8-way configuration).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tyson Tomko posted:

I can't buy the entire lot myself, but definitely count me in on the group by at $85.

That's 4 so far... if no one can drop $850 at once (which is a bit silly) I suppose someone could be tasked with collecting $91-ish ($85 + $6 for Priority Flat Rate) from 9 other people and then ordering. Bare in mind that this would be for the board-only, no case or USB-port... not sure if the bulk order deal is good when you start adding on things.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
RGGE:Summer Games

We currently have 27 signups!

HEY! I CAN'T SEE YOU ON ELFSTER!
Ambitious Spider

LISTEN! YOU SIGNED UP ON ELFSTER BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE!
Matthew Jay
H1KE (I can't find your post here - the search is a little poo poo)

OTHER poo poo

Babylon Astronaut posted:

So the gift exchange: the spending limit is $50, but can we go over with things we already have?

It's a guideline. Some people put in over $50 of stuff from their own collections last year, but if you are out buying poo poo stick to between $20-50.

Captain Hilarious posted:

I want to take part but I think this is probably only my 4th post in the thread :ohdear:

Sorry, but it's a rule in place for a reason. I attribute part of the success of the last swap by only allowing currently active members of the thread to take part. That and if I bend the rules for one I'll end up with a shitshow on my hands. Stop lurking so much!

midge fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 1, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

zenintrude posted:

That's 4 so far... if no one can drop $850 at once (which is a bit silly) I suppose someone could be tasked with collecting $91-ish ($85 + $6 for Priority Flat Rate) from 9 other people and then ordering. Bare in mind that this would be for the board-only, no case or USB-port... not sure if the bulk order deal is good when you start adding on things.

It is, but you don't get any discounts on the addons. So, it'd be an extra $15/cart for the USB port and another $15/cart for a shell if somebody wanted to do get them with everything.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

For shits and giggles I priced out what a Mario Kart: Double Dash network would cost for 16 players and came up with $1-$2k for an 8-screen setup with everything required. Tack on an extra $1k if you need component cables. Having said that, the only advantage this gives you over a 4-console setup is not having to do a 2-way split screen (every individual kart gets its own screen with an 8-way configuration).

E3 2003 had this setup* in the Nintendo booth. It was a good time had by all.

*Also 4-player Four Swords Adventures, 4-player Tetra's Trackers, 4-Player Crystal Chronicles, LAN Kirby Airride, etc.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm fine with the fund collecting idea, but we should also figure out if anyone's gonna want add-ons with it. Personally, I don't need USB/SD cards and I have a case waiting for mine.

Also just to clarify the back order thing:

Krikzz posted:

Not sold out. I open back order, cuz i need some time to assemble carts, also some holidays here, so, post office is closed. Shipping will begins in 5-14 days.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

midge posted:

LISTEN! YOU SIGNED UP ON ELFSTER BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE!
flyboi

Dis is me. I set my elfster username to my sa name. I guess you should be a little more descriptive that you want the actual name to be your sa name :downs:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 1, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

*Also 4-player Four Swords Adventures, 4-player Tetra's Trackers, 4-Player Crystal Chronicles

I just realized I actually have all the cabling I'd need for this (link cables and Gamecube link cables), I just need to pick up a few extra GBAs and a copy of Crystal Chronicles in English (I have it in Japanese).

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

flyboi posted:

Dis is me. I set my elfster username to my sa name. I guess you should be a little more descriptive that you want the actual name to be your sa name :downs:

Yeah, it's not very clear on the site itself in terms of what it allows myself to see; I just spent an hour cross referencing this poo poo. Thanks. I've edited my post in case you want to follow suit on the quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

I just realized I actually have all the cabling I'd need for this (link cables and Gamecube link cables), I just need to pick up a few extra GBAs and a copy of Crystal Chronicles in English (I have it in Japanese).

But do you have the equipment for this?

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/gamecube/legend-of-zelda-four-swords-5-gamecubes-5-tvs

• Locked thread