Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hooray! Congrats again Wiggles. Even if you don't have any pictures of the food, you should still post some from the wedding itself, I'm sure we'd all love to check them out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Squashy Nipples posted:

I hope you were able to smell the sarcasm on that one, I'm not much of a sports fan. The worst part of living in Boston is having to pretend that you like the Red Sox.

I HATE baseball. I watch a little hockey, and the occasional NFL game, but that's it.

Oh I gotcha. I just wanted to be a pretentious New Yorker.

Yawgmoth posted:

I know that feeling. Living in Minneapolis means having to pretend to care at all about the Twins.

Can someone explain the draw of football and/or baseball to me? Because every time I've watched a game, it's been "watch a bunch of guys stand around for 5 minutes, see ten seconds of something I guess you could call 'action', repeat for 3-4 hours". At least with hockey there's always something happening when the clock is moving, and said clock doesn't stop very often.

Baseball's only interesting to watch if you're at the stadium, and even then only if you're drinking or eating copious amounts of food and beer. Football is great if you have an understanding of what's actually going on with the plays.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yawgmoth posted:

I know that feeling. Living in Minneapolis means having to pretend to care at all about the Twins.

Can someone explain the draw of football and/or baseball to me? Because every time I've watched a game, it's been "watch a bunch of guys stand around for 5 minutes, see ten seconds of something I guess you could call 'action', repeat for 3-4 hours". At least with hockey there's always something happening when the clock is moving, and said clock doesn't stop very often.

Baseball is a game of concentration, patience and reaction. There is some strategy involved for fielders, but most of of that happens between the pitcher/catcher in relation to the batter. Watching baseball is more of a social event unless you really enjoy the game. Watching baseball is much much better when you are with a group of friends either at the game enjoying the weather and the sights or at a bar/home with drinks and other activity.

Football is a game of precision, reaction and anticipation with a strong helping of violence. It has actually gotten much better about keeping the game moving, so that there is generally less standing around and more action. There are much more variables and moving parts in football and it can lead to some really interesting things happening on the field. However, it does help when you have an understand of how the various plays are supposed to develop because then you can see when/where things break down.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Made some salsa. Charred the gently caress out of 8 tomatoes, 2 seeded habanero, 1 white onion, and 6 whole garlic cloves. Blend. Done. Best salsa.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Donde es el cilantro y sal? Y limon?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Oh, right. I salted it. Skipped the cilantro because I'm out, skipped lime too. The char carries it.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
poo poo left over at my house after our weekend party:

half a butterscotch cake
half a bigass strawberry shortcake
four strawberry cupcakes
Four pounds of sliced green tomatoes
Eight pounds of pulled pork
bunch of texas toast
crock full of pimiento cheese
half a bowl of cole slaw
two tiny beer kegs
2 gallons of vodka
a fifth of tequila

Every time I throw these parties I always come out way more in the black than I ought to

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
If anyone would like a free copy of a comedy e-book about fine dining (.mobi format - Kindle/PC/Apple) written by myself and some friends, just send me an e-mail to acxyzyq - gmail. It's on Amazon too, in case you like it and you'd like to buy or review, and you can take a look at a preview by following this link:

Oswald Newton's Fine Dining Dispatches

“From intravenous desserts to Salmon Brandy, join legendary food critic Oswald Newton as he visits the most fashionable restaurants in the world, on a year-long journey of discovery - both culinary and personal.
A humorous novellettina of 22,000 words, "Oswald Newton’s Fine Dining Dispatches" charts a year in the life of the world's best restaurant critic, with its ups and downs, its Frittata di rucola e due formaggi, and its Cod Borscht with Carrot Chips and Mushy Pistachio.”

I personally don't much like the first chapter, but stick with it... and it's free!

Cross-posted from Creative Convention.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Oh, right. I salted it. Skipped the cilantro because I'm out, skipped lime too. The char carries it.

You are forgiven.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

thingsseenonfacebook

wtf? :psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Why does fruit need to be stacked into a loving cake shape to be delicious? Are we so fat that our healthy food has to look like cake before we'll eat it?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Aww, I think it's cute. It would be a cute birthday cake for someone who got skinny and healthy and wanted to celebrate it. Serve with ice cream though.

It's way better than the poo poo my cousin keeps sharing on Facebook. See:

quote:

Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, slightly softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups rolled oats, old fashioned or quick (see Note)
2/3 cup plain M&Ms (give or take)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions

With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until smooth.
Add in the powdered sugar, brown sugar, flour, and vanilla.
Using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer or just a wooden spoon, mix in the oats. You may want to use more or less here. I really like the oats in it and a thicker dip so I added a lot. Remember that the dip will also firm up a bit in the fridge.
Add the M&Ms and chocolate chips.
Store in the refrigerator until serving. Serve with pretzels, graham crackers, or apple slices. You can dip or spread this depending on how thick you made your dip. Try not to eat it all like I did!
Note: You can use more or less oats to adjust the thickness of your dip. Start with about 1 1/2 cups oats and keep adding until you reach your desired thickness. If you use quick oats you might use less since it's finer and will make the dough thicker.

Imgur won't upload the picture for me (a sign of its intelligence clearly) so you'll just have to imagine it.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
My party this weekend devolved into drunks eating miracle berry tabs and then devouring all the sour stuff in the house.

Yeah, lemons and limes are great, yeah tamarind paste is awesome, but I got full off of slices of green tomato, mmmm.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Hawkgirl posted:

sharing on Facebook.

:barf:

The recipes people share on Facebook are like the dregs of horrible suburban white people chow.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.woot.com/plus/guy-fieri-cutlery

welp.

"Battle Station" knife block ffs. :psyboom:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

welp.

"Oh what a great price!"

(Buys a gross of real lovely gross knives) :bravo:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Well, see, the thing about knives is the more the better.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

welp.

I guess where Guy Fieri comes from 8" is a `big stick'. :flaccid:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The best part is the garlic crusher on the butt of the handle.

I'm not kidding. I think that's hilarious.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm going to buy one so I can stab him with it.

edit: maybe the sandwich dragon

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Imagine the shame when, after having read your death poem (the recipe for Guy's Firecracker Wings) in preparation for Guy's Big Seppuku, you realize that the Knuckle Sandwich Dragon Dagger isn't even sharp enough to pierce your own belly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Good lord, those knives are hideous. And undoubtedly crap.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Man, I'd love to get one and bring it into Korin and ask them for a Japanese-style sharpening job on it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hawkgirl posted:

It's way better than the poo poo my cousin keeps sharing on Facebook. See:

Why the gently caress does it have flour?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I don't think it's as bad as the "Oreo cookie balls" that my (non-cooking) buddy makes once a year. Grind up a whole package of Oreos with cocoa powder, cream cheese and powdered sugar, roll up into balls, chill and serve. loving disgusting, but he is so proud of them that I don't have the heart to tell him that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Why does the serrated have those points at the end? It makes no sense, unless it doubles as a meat fork? That seems like the Guy Ferry way of thinking.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I don't think it's as bad as the "Oreo cookie balls" that my (non-cooking) buddy makes once a year. Grind up a whole package of Oreos with cocoa powder, cream cheese and powdered sugar, roll up into balls, chill and serve. loving disgusting, but he is so proud of them that I don't have the heart to tell him that.

A woman at my work makes those at christmas and calls them Oreo Truffles and man they are so bad. There are a couple of ladies here who scarf them down.

On the Fieri knife thing I like how everything has a couple of names along with a couple of dumb uses. Knuckle Sandwich Dragon Dagger - combo off set serrated and fork.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like to think the garlic smasher was added during prototyping by a designer hoping he would impale himself in the forehead while testing his knife.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What a freakin' scam! I want to buy all of the Guy Fieri 5008 Knuckle Sandwich Big Stick 8" Chef Knife in stock so I can resell them for a premium on eBay, but:

quote:

Limit 3 per customer

Bullshit, man! Supply and demand! That ain't American!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why does fruit need to be stacked into a loving cake shape to be delicious? Are we so fat that our healthy food has to look like cake before we'll eat it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9UWjr-rrc

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

A woman at my work makes those at christmas and calls them Oreo Truffles and man they are so bad. There are a couple of ladies here who scarf them down.

On the Fieri knife thing I like how everything has a couple of names along with a couple of dumb uses. Knuckle Sandwich Dragon Dagger - combo off set serrated and fork.

That sounds amazing -- because you know what Oreos need, more fat and more sugar.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Why the gently caress does it have flour?

It's supposed to be cookie dough dip so I think it's to give that raw flour taste to it like real cookie dough!!! Though it beats me how cream cheese fits in, other than to make me gag.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

quote:

They makes knives as sharp as you'd expect a Guy Fieri knife to be.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hey, pr0k! Where did you find this wondrous creation? Is it perchance one of your many, many half-brothers?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lol

sometimes..... sometimes there's so much beauty in the world.... I feel like I can't take it :cry:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

Hey, pr0k! Where did you find this wondrous creation? Is it perchance one of your many, many half-brothers?

:siren: all hands on deck, a possible pr0k's mom spotting has occurred :siren:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Leaving on the honeymoon this morning. But at the moment I'm in the hospital. Will update, hopefully with comedy.

Edit: stupid kidney stones.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 1, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wiggles actually had a bare-knuckled boxing ring at his reception and got punched in the kidneys one too many times.

That's how I imagine what happened, at least.

Feel better man!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Leaving on the honeymoon this morning. But at the moment I'm in the hospital. Will update, hopefully with comedy.

Owwwwwww..

'Wikipedia posted:

The hallmark of stones that obstruct the ureter or renal pelvis is excruciating, intermittent pain that radiates from the flank to the groin or to the genital area and inner thigh.[1] This particular type of pain, known as renal colic, is often described as one of the strongest pain sensations known.