Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Special Kei
May 13, 2009

papasyhotcakes posted:

Excuse me, but I was trying to remember the name of a doc someone posted here on the forums a few weeks ago (I think it was here or on the military history thread) which was about the cold war. It featured interviews with both sides of the conflict and it was a series which was available for free on youtube and had a big company attached to it (PBS, BBC, CNN, one of those, but google fails to turn up anything). Does anyone remember it?

The CNN series Cold War is the best series on the Cold War.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4FF5F03E7FE6342C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Special Kei posted:

Lets not get crazy here

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Special Kei posted:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4FF5F03E7FE6342C

Yes I think this was it, thanks to both of you!

Bolek posted:

Lets not get crazy here

Actually I have been on a Cold War kick lately, so if there are other "must see" documentaries about the period I would love to hear about them.

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 1, 2013

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
So this is coming from a place of ignorance about the film and I'm not trying to stir things up, but could someone (hundu?) explain the difference between a doc like The Killing of America and Faces of Death? I gather that the former has more os a "point" than the latter, and I can deal with watching human death if it doesn't feel exploitative (which means I have no interest in the Faces series). Should I gike Killing a shot?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I actually think Faces of Death 1 is far less hokey than the series would become, but it's still in the Mondo template of throwing in some Bizarre Foods or whatever to break up the tone, so it comes off as more like cheeky ethnography. Killing of America is a movie with a singleminded, almost millenarian thesis about society in upheaval. Since it's written and directed by Paul Schrader's brother, I like to think it's the Mondo movie Travis Bickle would make.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

papasyhotcakes posted:

Actually I have been on a Cold War kick lately, so if there are other "must see" documentaries about the period I would love to hear about them.

The British documentary The War Game is about the effects of a theoretical nuclear strike on Britain. It is one part factual reportage and one part dramatization. It's a news style doc. I saw it a few years ago and it chilled me a bit. Suffice it to say, I can see why the BBC suppressed it during the Cold War in spite of the fact that it won an Oscar in 1966. It gets as close to a :nms: tag as a dramatization has even gotten, for me.

It's definitely not about the whole Cold War, but it is a good glimpse of the collective psyche of a society living under the threat of nuclear war.

Forgot to mention that it's on Youtube in its entirety:

http://youtu.be/nrGg8PfkbZw

Enjoy...?

:smith:

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 1, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

papasyhotcakes posted:

It may have been 1983: The Brink of Apocalypse, which was posted a few weeks ago.

quote:

The British documentary The War Game is about the effects of a theoretical nuclear strike on Britain. It is one part factual reportage and one part dramatization. It's a news style doc. I saw it a few years ago and it chilled me a bit.

Holy poo poo, a cold war doc I haven't seen yet. And it's like a nonfiction version of Threads. :suicide:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Peas and Rice posted:

Holy poo poo, a cold war doc I haven't seen yet. And it's like a nonfiction version of Threads. :suicide:

Even though it's made 20 years earlier, I thought The War Game's reenactment scenes were more brutal than Threads, as grim as that was. It's as realistic as it can be within the confines of reason and 1960's special effects.

Queue up something funny or light to watch afterward, though. It's right there with Dear Zachary to me. The film literally ends with the narrator asking, "would mankind continue in spite of all this, or would the living simply envy the dead and opt out of their new reality?"

There isn't a :smith: big enough for The War Game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

fenix down posted:

Copy and paste some more stuff, you'll be sure to win the internet.

Thanks, but will I get a trophy?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Railing Kill posted:

Even though it's made 20 years earlier, I thought The War Game's reenactment scenes were more brutal than Threads, as grim as that was. It's as realistic as it can be within the confines of reason and 1960's special effects.

Queue up something funny or light to watch afterward, though. It's right there with Dear Zachary to me. The film literally ends with the narrator asking, "would mankind continue in spite of all this, or would the living simply envy the dead and opt out of their new reality?"

There isn't a :smith: big enough for The War Game.
Swear ta god, this is what I thought you were talking about.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

Swear ta god, this is what I thought you were talking about.

Matthew Broderick should make more documentaries. :allears:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

rotinaj posted:

Yeah his documentary about a day in the life of upper class high school kids in Chicago was fascinating.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

rotinaj posted:

I've been watching Ken Burns' The West and Broderick does a lot of voiceover work for it so,

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
I know nothing about gambling in general, much less about blackjack in particular. Stumbled on this one today, explaining how one guy once cracked the way to win, and how, later on, other people devised more subtle techniques based on his finding. Nothing one could use nowadays, but still an entertaining and informative piece. Duration: close to 49 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO3fbjme2N8

Nunez
Feb 21, 2011

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Anyone know of any good documentaries about the Korean war?

There's one called Chosin that is absolutely amazing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hah, I went through the same a few months ago. You absolutely HAVE to read David Hoffman's The Dead Hand. And you should probably watch The Americans on FX.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gonna recommend anybody who likes band documentaries watches the Blur doc No Distance Left To Run. Unflinchingly honest, comes with a live show DVD, good times. Made by the same folks who made the LCD Soundsystem doc.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm finishing up Erasing Hate on Netflix. It's about a hardcore ex-Neo-Nazi getting his facial tattoos removed with a laser. The guy is extremely intense, even as an ex-skinhead, and the process is equally extremely painful. It's a look both inside a small, insane subculture, but then an even smaller subculture of a single man and his family who have excised themselves from an earlier form of life.

I don't have much interest in gangs or white supremacists, but I'm finding this pretty hard to tear away from.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Just finished watching this doc about students creating synthetic bacteria for detecting parasites in water. The bacterial engineering input/output/response module and how the output enzyme works was fascinating and easy to follow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushmgPM7HT8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Finally watched Overnight. Holy poo poo is Troy Duffy human garbage. Is the normal reaction to this is wanting everyone in the film to have something horrible happen to them?

Bolek
May 1, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Finally watched Overnight. Holy poo poo is Troy Duffy human garbage. Is the normal reaction to this is wanting everyone in the film to have something horrible happen to them?

Yes. It is. Well, mostly Duffy. Not sure who else is in that movie because all I see in my mind's eye when trying to recall it is the burning effigy of his face that my brain has replaced it with.

It's pretty impressive that it's possible to be such a piece of poo poo that you end up making Hollywood look reasonable.

Bolek fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 11, 2013

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bobkatt013 posted:

He still maintains it's an editing job that screwed him and in some instances that might be true (It's not quite the Billy Mitchell hatchet job in King of Kong) but there's plenty of instances where they point the camera at him and he just says the most ridiculous things or generally acts like an rear end in a top hat. He's so thoroughly unlikeable that he makes Harvey Weinstein seem decent. To that end I wonder how he acted on the sequel, from what I understand it wasn't all that different.

He was a brash rear end in a top hat without the talent to back it up. I don't hate Boondock Saints like some people do, I think it's just OK, but it's best remembered as just being one of those post Tarantino films that came out at that time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrVenkman posted:

He still maintains it's an editing job that screwed him and in some instances that might be true (It's not quite the Billy Mitchell hatchet job in King of Kong) but there's plenty of instances where they point the camera at him and he just says the most ridiculous things or generally acts like an rear end in a top hat. He's so thoroughly unlikeable that he makes Harvey Weinstein seem decent. To that end I wonder how he acted on the sequel, from what I understand it wasn't all that different.

He was a brash rear end in a top hat without the talent to back it up. I don't hate Boondock Saints like some people do, I think it's just OK, but it's best remembered as just being one of those post Tarantino films that came out at that time.

The directer said that he edited out a bunch of homophobic and racist stuff. Not shocking seeing his movie and they did let a little antisemitism sneak in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They put it all back in in Boondock Saints 2.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I tried watching the Boondock Saints this morning - it was godawful. I mean, God Bless Willem DaFoe for committing to it, but the writing was loving bad. The whole thing was like a movie studio had 15 million dollars they HAD to get rid of, and found this sap to think he was good, instead of a tax loop hole or some poo poo.

So now I'm watching the documentary. Or trying. Listening to him talk himself up, after watching the goddamn horrible job he did with writing, it's painful.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

I tried watching the Boondock Saints this morning - it was godawful. I mean, God Bless Willem DaFoe for committing to it, but the writing was loving bad. The whole thing was like a movie studio had 15 million dollars they HAD to get rid of, and found this sap to think he was good, instead of a tax loop hole or some poo poo.

So now I'm watching the documentary. Or trying. Listening to him talk himself up, after watching the goddamn horrible job he did with writing, it's painful.

As utterly terrible as it was I have no doubt that if they had actually given this movie a proper release and put a modest amount of ad dollars behind it it would have made over a 100 mil easy.

Felt dirty just typing that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

Yeah I mean Miramax were riding high at the time, and it was a period where anything that was 'cool' and had violence was being greenlit. I can see the attraction in his script, but it just makes it seem like he sort of happened across writing something decent by accident and then just completely killed his own career. It's a great warning for any aspiring filmmaker though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even riding the dovetails of Pulp Fiction knockoffs, it seems like Miramax went especially overboard greenlighting a script written by somebody with no prior filmmaking experience, then also asking him to direct, on top of buying out his bar and signing his lovely band to write the score. I'd love to hear their end of the bargain because that seems absolutely ludicrous to me. Miramax could have given the script to any competent director in Hollywood at the time, and his/her crew could have reworked it into something halfway decent. It's so insane that it feels like a Trading Places-style bet made between the brothers Weinstein.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

exquisite tea posted:

Even riding the dovetails of Pulp Fiction knockoffs, it seems like Miramax went especially overboard greenlighting a script written by somebody with no prior filmmaking experience, then also asking him to direct, on top of buying out his bar and signing his lovely band to write the score. I'd love to hear their end of the bargain because that seems absolutely ludicrous to me. Miramax could have given the script to any competent director in Hollywood at the time, and his/her crew could have reworked it into something halfway decent. It's so insane that it feels like a Trading Places-style bet made between the brothers Weinstein.
I think part of the glory of Pulp Fiction was finding Tarantino and letting him run wild. If you've read the story behind that script, (PF) most studios passed on it and didn't expect it to do jack poo poo. Anytime there's an amazing blow up like this, I'm guessing most studios just cover their eyes and say "we know jack poo poo, the public wants crap, lets give em crap."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

I think part of the glory of Pulp Fiction was finding Tarantino and letting him run wild. If you've read the story behind that script, (PF) most studios passed on it and didn't expect it to do jack poo poo. Anytime there's an amazing blow up like this, I'm guessing most studios just cover their eyes and say "we know jack poo poo, the public wants crap, lets give em crap."

Even so, Duffy was able to make this crazy deal where they sign his band and buy his lovely bar and all that stuff. That's going above and beyond just greenlighting a movie. I really can't understand quite why Miramax bent over backwards just to accommodate him. Were they that desperate for a hit?

Actually, someone on the imdb boards said that the film has parrallels to the dot.com era and I can totally see that. There was just this time of "Is that going to be a success? Then just throw money at it!" It seems like an incredibly 90's thing.

However having said that, Duffy does have his defenders. Billy Connelly is a nice enough guy and insists that Duffy got screwed on the original film (I will say that in his favour he was the victim of some shady business deals. He was naive and they took advantage of that) and Norman Reedus refused to talk to the guys who made Overnight because he felt like they were going to twist his words, a sentiment echoed by Willem Defoe who says they interviewed him a lot and only used his most negative comments.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 11, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The dot com bubble analogy is very apt as you had people losing big on deals to back startups that neither produced a product nor offered any discernible service.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bolek posted:

As utterly terrible as it was I have no doubt that if they had actually given this movie a proper release and put a modest amount of ad dollars behind it it would have made over a 100 mil easy.

Felt dirty just typing that.

I'd say 2/3rds of my friends love that movie, including 2/3rds of my former girlfriends. Every time I watch it I die a little inside knowing I didn't like it the first time but it still keeps coming around, being shown at pubs or at somebody's house. I'm convinced people believe that enjoying St. Patrick's Day means you have to enjoy that loving movie.

I think I also hated it so much because it got way more love than The Big Hit, which was a loving dumb Tarantino rip off but at least it was usually entertaining dumb.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'd say 2/3rds of my friends love that movie, including 2/3rds of my former girlfriends. Every time I watch it I die a little inside knowing I didn't like it the first time but it still keeps coming around, being shown at pubs or at somebody's house. I'm convinced people believe that enjoying St. Patrick's Day means you have to enjoy that loving movie.

I think I also hated it so much because it got way more love than The Big Hit, which was a loving dumb Tarantino rip off but at least it was usually entertaining dumb.

Bokeen Woodbine and Lou Diamond Phillips are great in that movie. Yeah it was sort of a sub-Tarantino film but it had its tongue firmly in cheek.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Budget Bears posted:

The Imposter is an absolute rollercoaster ride of a documentary that is currently available on Netflix instant.

Without spoiling too much, in the 1990s a teenage boy goes missing from his neighborhood somewhere in Texas. Three years later his family gets a call that he's somehow turned up in Spain, ready to be picked up and returned home to the US. As for the rest, you just have to watch it. My jaw was on the floor the entire time. If you liked "Dear Zachary," this movie has a similar feel in that you totally don't expect what happens (but it's way less heart-wrenching.)

EDIT: The entire thing is also available on youtube if you don't mind Greek subtitles.

Kind of in the line of The Imposter and Kumare is The Woman Who Wasn't There, about a woman that claimed to have been a 9/11 attack survivor that was on one of the higher floors, carried to safety by the Man with the Red Bandana. Saying much more gives away the "plot twists", but it's a good watch for a rainy day, at the least.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I apologise if this has been posted before:

This is what winning looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHPTHx0ScQ

A stark portrayal of the actual situation in Afghanistan, and just how hosed it's going to be in 2014 when NATO leaves.

Warning: Very depressing.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

This Is The Last Dam Run of Likker I'm Ever Gonna Make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCh2NWKhsPo

Marvin 'Popcorn' Sutton's last run of moonshine. I'd make my own moonshine but I'd probably blind myself or blow up my kitchen. It's got music, dancing, likker, 50 minutes of driving around and traipsing in the Appalachians looking for a good likker-makin' spot, and more likker. I wish it was subtitled because I can only understand every second word yeehaw

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Plucky Brit posted:

I apologise if this has been posted before:

This is what winning looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHPTHx0ScQ

A stark portrayal of the actual situation in Afghanistan, and just how hosed it's going to be in 2014 when NATO leaves.

Warning: Very depressing.

Christ, it gets worse towards the end when you realize the documentary maker might be talking about the Marine advisers you saw at the start.

I want to slap the back of the head of that feckless MP too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

homercles posted:

This Is The Last Dam Run of Likker I'm Ever Gonna Make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCh2NWKhsPo

Marvin 'Popcorn' Sutton's last run of moonshine. I'd make my own moonshine but I'd probably blind myself or blow up my kitchen. It's got music, dancing, likker, 50 minutes of driving around and traipsing in the Appalachians looking for a good likker-makin' spot, and more likker. I wish it was subtitled because I can only understand every second word yeehaw

:eng101: The reason why bootleg liquor made people go blind is because they would cut their product with wood alcohol, either by adding it directly to the final product or by filling out the mash with sawdust. So long as you make your mash with actual foodstuffs like corn and sugar you're golden.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:eng101: The reason why bootleg liquor made people go blind is because they would cut their product with wood alcohol, either by adding it directly to the final product or by filling out the mash with sawdust. So long as you make your mash with actual foodstuffs like corn and sugar you're golden.

I thought that part of it was that they would use old radiators in the process somewhere, which were soldered with lead?

Edit: Actually I don't even know if lead causes blindness :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Haerc posted:

I thought that part of it was that they would use old radiators in the process somewhere, which were soldered with lead?

Edit: Actually I don't even know if lead causes blindness :shrug:

Lead tends to cause deadness more than blindness.