Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

ZerodotJander posted:

I think that comment from Broussard is pretty alright unless I'm misunderstanding it. I'm reading it as him saying that he thinks homosexuality is wrong, but that he's not going to give you poo poo about living your life, just like you shouldn't give him poo poo for his opinions that he knows people disagree with. "Believe what you want, just don't be an rear end in a top hat about it" sounds like a reasonable thing to preach. I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay, but I think people have the right to feel that there is, as long as they don't go around shouting human being at people and protesting gay marriage.

Yeah I gotta agree with this, I don't think anything Broussard said (except for that last sentence which I would disagree with theologically) was really incorrect or out of line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Bigots aren't going to go away and we are all prejudiced about something or another, the enemy is discrimination, not prejudice.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Broussard's statement was civil but it still doesn't change the fact that people like him readily ignore other clearly expressed things in the bible because "times change" but still choose to make an issue of homosexuality.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I'm a little unclear why it's ok to openly say someone's core being is essentially wrong so long as you cloak it in the shroud of "it's ok because we can all have different opinions." For starters, that belief is the ground from which actively discriminatory laws have grown, laws that have real world ramifications for a segment of the population. This segment does not include the people holding those beliefs. Beyond that, he's just leading into a veiled manner of calling out a way of life with platitudes that are meant to soften the blow of his opinion. Acknowledging one's own discrimination doesn't make it's effects any less awful and calling it out is part of the process of breaking down entrenched societal bigotry.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I don't watch ESPN or really follow sports news outside of Baseball so I have no idea what Broussard's track record is on stuff like this. If he's not someone who habitually comments on this stuff and just made one statement in response to the media fluff around Jason Collins, I don't think you can reasonably expect more from people than to hold their bigoted beliefs close and not beat other people over the head with them. He also earns some points with me from including pre-marital sex because he's willing to stand up for an unpopular opinion I disagree with, so it feels more like a statement of (poorly thought out) principle instead of just trolling/click baiting. In an ideal world people would move away from tribalism and realize that we are all human beings, in reality I think it's enough for people to shut up about it and not try to keep it part of our normal, institutional prejudices.

If this is one more in a long line of bigoted statements dressed up in "everybody is entitled to their own not-so-silent opinion" then gently caress him.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Here is Chris Broussard on John Amaechi. ESPN knew full well what it would get asking him about this topic.

And again, there's a difference between having an unpopular opinion such as "Nickleback is awesome" and having an opinion that has real world legal ramifications that result in people having fewer rights than their fellow citizens solely because they are different.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

haljordan posted:

Yeah what took you so long to come out of the closet, Doug Collins you coward? I mean, we all know it's so incredibly easy to be a homosexual in a professional locker room. TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH, rear end in a top hat.

To provide context, the author, Josh Barro, is a gay conservative.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"You have the right to acknowledge everyone's beliefs...but you don't have to "RESPECT" that person's beliefs".

-Patton Oswalt.

It just gets old that people rush out to defend comments like this, and those that were said by the Chick-fil-a pres. Why should I respect a bigoted comment?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Capt Murphy posted:

Here is Chris Broussard on John Amaechi. ESPN knew full well what it would get asking him about this topic.

And again, there's a difference between having an unpopular opinion such as "Nickleback is awesome" and having an opinion that has real world legal ramifications that result in people having fewer rights than their fellow citizens solely because they are different.

That's a pretty tenuous argument to make. You can have an opinion without it leading to draconian legal policies. For example, as a Christian I believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I am all for the legal recognition of same-sex, monogamous couples, and think they should have all the same legal rights my wife and I have.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm sure Broussard gets on his soapbox every time a player has sex with a woman who isn't his wife. What a joke.

It's not ok to say you don't "agree" with homosexuality. It's a thing that exists. It's a way people are. It's not a "lifestyle," and to say it is reveals a really deep ignorance.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Why on earth do you think Jason Collins would be afraid to come out in the first place, if not for prominent public figures telling him he is literally a walking embodiment of human evil. Discrimination and prejudice are two sides of the same coin, and you can't actually put a mental wall between "well, I think they are bad people" and "but I'm sure this means I will be able to treat them like everyone else!". Broussard should absolutely be fired for saying such a hateful thing.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That's a pretty tenuous argument to make. You can have an opinion without it leading to draconian legal policies. For example, as a Christian I believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I am all for the legal recognition of same-sex, monogamous couples, and think they should have all the same legal rights my wife and I have.

I think there's a lot to unpack here that would be better suited for a chat over a beer or coffee if that's your style. I do think that's an opinion not shared by many and one that needs louder proponents.

However, Broussard makes it clear in the article he's against same-sex marriage, and that sort of thinking is the bulwark for a lot of discriminatory legislation or lack-of-legislation. It's really not a tenuous argument because it exists and can be pointed to (Prop 8 for starters).

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

But they can't call it marriage, right?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Capt Murphy posted:

I'm a little unclear why it's ok to openly say someone's core being is essentially wrong so long as you cloak it in the shroud of "it's ok because we can all have different opinions." For starters, that belief is the ground from which actively discriminatory laws have grown, laws that have real world ramifications for a segment of the population. This segment does not include the people holding those beliefs. Beyond that, he's just leading into a veiled manner of calling out a way of life with platitudes that are meant to soften the blow of his opinion. Acknowledging one's own discrimination doesn't make it's effects any less awful and calling it out is part of the process of breaking down entrenched societal bigotry.

You can't argue with emotions. This is the core problem with any civil rights issue. Parsing out what's fair from what's right/wrong is where civil rights eventually gains ground. And then, after a few generations (most times), we have mass acceptance with a few radical outsiders and subtle critical racism/sexism/homophobia in culture.

We'll probably have to deal with transgender and Islamic/immigrant issues for the rest of our lives.

FuzzySkinner posted:

"You have the right to acknowledge everyone's beliefs...but you don't have to "RESPECT" that person's beliefs".

-Patton Oswalt.

It just gets old that people rush out to defend comments like this, and those that were said by the Chick-fil-a pres. Why should I respect a bigoted comment?

i saw this being used to defend hatred of muslims the other day, what a world we live in.

e: as in literally, the guy was telling some parable of respecting other religions and then a Muslim terrorist popped out of nowhere with a gun and said "i must kill the infidels" and then used that Patton Oswalt quote.

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 29, 2013

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Broussard lives by a book written when people were even dumber than they are today so I guess what he said wasn't too terrible.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think Tim Brando wins for weirdest take by a major media figure:

Edit: Eep.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 30, 2013

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

As a Christian white male over 50, I

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

morestuff posted:

Edit: Eep.

He's not wrong, except for the part where it's sad.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
You don't know how hard things can be for an old rich white guy.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jesus Christ Tim Brando

"Sure some guy broke a major sports barrier but how can I make this about my struggle as Just Some Guy..."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tim Brando is a giant loving rear end in a top hat and his daughter sucks too. A while back she made some passive aggressive comment about people who don't have jobs and got really whiny and defensive when people pointed out that her she was gift wrapped a job screening calls for her daddy's show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
SB Nation has been hitting it out of the park with their longform articles. Here's the latest one on the Trufant family

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/4/30/4281884/desmond-marcus-trufant-profile-nfl-seahawks-falcons

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is the best SB Nation article of all time and Jon Bois is a wonderful human being who brings me great joy

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/1/4282368/tim-tebow-cfl

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FairGame posted:

This is the best SB Nation article of all time and Jon Bois is a wonderful human being who brings me great joy

Well that was fantastic.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So, about this SEC Network business.

Is it incorrect to assume that some ethical problems could arise by the fact that the largest voice in sports media, has officially partnered up with a conference such as the SEC?

I ask because it feels a little different than the Big Ten's relationship with Newscorp, and the PAC 12's network.

ESPN with access to the bullhorn, rights to major bowl games, and the playoff could makes me feel a little uneasy as a fan of a mid-major and major conference that is not the SEC.

Not to mention there is a potential problem in the way they could handle a scandal featuring an SEC team. It sure was easy to throw Ohio State under the bus (whether you believe it was correct in doing so, is subject to opinion), but lets say Alabama is within a similar predicament. Are we going to see the Mark May's of the world rock the boat on a team that brings revenue and viewers to the network? One that they have an official partnership with?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not to mention there is a potential problem in the way they could handle a scandal featuring an SEC team. It sure was easy to throw Ohio State under the bus (whether you believe it was correct in doing so, is subject to opinion), but lets say Alabama is within a similar predicament. Are we going to see the Mark May's of the world rock the boat on a team that brings revenue and viewers to the network? One that they have an official partnership with?

If a story is big enough, it'll be reported on. ESPN has partnerships with every league they air and that hasn't stopped them from reporting on steroids in baseball, concussions in football, etc.

That's not to say they don't have conflicts of interest, because they do, and in a big way. But even then, there are enough stellar news organizations out there that you don't have to rely on ESPN to break stories and report on them thoroughly.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FairGame posted:

A link on that led me to a piece by Rob Neyer about how MLB might outlaw really long games:

quote:

...Maybe all of these players were destined for the D.L. eventually. I can't sit here and tell you that players are more likely to get hurt as the game pushes on past midnight. But would you be surprised to find that it's true? As a group, baseball players are incredibly well-conditioned, but they're not really programmed to essentially play two straight games without a break in between. They're also not used to playing well -- and staying healthy -- at 1 in the morning.

All of which makes me wonder if Our Next Commissioner might do something; say, any game not concluded after 14 innings is suspended, just like a suspension because of weather, unless (for example) it's the last game of a series, or the last game of a series between teams that won't meet again this season. I mean, you can play around with the rule. But it would preclude what happened in Oakland the other night.

Is this really a good idea? There are a lot of reasons why "some people" might want to outlaw (or severely curtail) marathon games.

1. They wipe out bullpens.

2. They might lead to more injuries (data please!).

3. Few fans are still around at the end.

4. Players are zombies the next day.

5. They inconvenience everybody who works at the ballpark.

That part in the bold was very impressive...

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Frank Isola from the NY Daily News talks about how the Knicks' front office hates him:

http://deadspin.com/how-frank-isola-became-the-most-hated-man-at-madison-sq-478620919

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's a neat piece and I'm not shocked at all by how scummy the Knicks FO is, but did it really need to acknowledge the ambient music? That's an odd writing style that doesn't really add much to the piece. He's a regular guy who likes adult contemporary?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
The only person who doesn't hate Frank Isola is Frank Isola as far as I can tell.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

leokitty posted:

The only person who doesn't hate Frank Isola is Frank Isola as far as I can tell.

He made a really bad joke on Twitter one day and I replied with a Statler and Waldorf photo and he sent me a private message that said "Peace out you wannabe New Yorker" and then blocked me.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

FairGame posted:

Cannot be underemphasized how great this piece is. I lost my poo poo at:

quote:

Our offensive line was halfway lined up when the Stampeders' defensive end -- Keenan McCardell, if you believe me, reader -- took his hands off his knees and stood upright. "We gotta meet."

"First play from scrimmage!" Bam exclaimed. "You shittin' me?" (Bam Morris was my center. Since his last NFL rush in 1999, he'd put on a hundred more pounds, and was one of the more dependable centers north of the border.)

"First time we've seen y'all Argos in two years Celsius. Lot's happened since then. C'mon, don't turn me into an rear end in a top hat here."

I got a nudge in the side from Garrison Hearst, my running back. "We're gonna negotiate. Little early for that if you ask me, but that's just how they do up in Calgary. Hold tight. We'll take care of it."

And then it stopped being the football I knew. "NEGOTIATION" flashed on the Jumbotron. The crowd of 86,000 roared.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

ESPN with access to the bullhorn, rights to major bowl games, and the playoff could makes me feel a little uneasy as a fan of a mid-major and major conference that is not the SEC.

I've already felt this way for years. Its already directly affected the national championship game. Remember when #1 Ohio State #2 Michigan was going to ruin football forever, but then an SEC rematch was the greatest thing in the history of ever? Big Ten had already aligned itself with Fox by then.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Here's a spotlight on a bad Jason Collins piece:

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/02/heres_the_most_ignorant_jason_collins_column_ever/

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I've already felt this way for years. Its already directly affected the national championship game. Remember when #1 Ohio State #2 Michigan was going to ruin football forever, but then an SEC rematch was the greatest thing in the history of ever? Big Ten had already aligned itself with Fox by then.

It's very much why I'm cheering on the new Fox Sports 1, NBC Sports and CBS Sports to push ESPN into a decreased influence in the world of sports.

Within the world of Pro Sports it could be argued that they're relatively kept in check via the Commissioners of each respective sport. The NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB could all survive and thrive without that network. They could easily brush off any sort of criticism a Mark May type could lob at them as well.

Collegiate Sports? Different story. I honestly feel the way ESPN covered the Tattoogate scandal led to the sanctions that were pushed against them by the NCAA. They sicked Mark May (a man that is not even loving qualified to discuss the making of a ham sandwich, let alone COLLEGIATE SPORTS) on them, gave him air time and offered no air time on the countering view point. In comparison I noticed that went extremely soft on Auburn during the whole scandal related to Cam Newton.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Badfinger posted:

He's not wrong, except for the part where it's sad.

I'm pretty sure my reaction was some combination of Praise Jesus/We Have Arrived/God, I Wish It Was So

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

wow. I actually was slated to interview for a job at that paper a few years ago but cancelled when I took a different position elsewhere. Reading this, I'm glad I never made the trek to Mattoon, Illinois.

ultimately not surprised someone would write a poo poo column like that about the Collins situation, though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FairGame posted:

Ahaha I'm not sure if this is reportage or a new entry into the genre I'll call 'CFL scifi'. And I'm from Canada.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Collegiate Sports? Different story. I honestly feel the way ESPN covered the Tattoogate scandal led to the sanctions that were pushed against them by the NCAA. They sicked Mark May (a man that is not even loving qualified to discuss the making of a ham sandwich, let alone COLLEGIATE SPORTS) on them, gave him air time and offered no air time on the countering view point. In comparison I noticed that went extremely soft on Auburn during the whole scandal related to Cam Newton.

The whole Mike Leach/Craig James seems to fit in pretty well here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't watch ESPN outside of actual sports (and 30/30 sometimes) but did Leach's Washington State behavior receive anywhere near the same coverage?