Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am in a game on the forums, running another game on the forums, and applying for a third. That third might have only started up because I decided to run one. Not sure. But yeah I wish more people were playing/running 13th Age. And it is really difficult to wait for all the cool stuff that is supposed to start coming out once the book is officially out. Nightfall, 13 True Ways, and I believe a few others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

I'm at C2E2 and there was a "state of tabletop games" panel today. 13th Age got some very positive mentions and even a small bit of applause (it was me, I applauded).

This makes me very, very happy. Thanks!

Ken Hite was on that panel, and is working on some 13A stuff. Did he offer any details?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
When I mentioned liking the updates on the Bestiary's progress he nonverbally indicated it was quite an undertaking, not sure if that's much of a detail.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Rhinoceraptor -

Fish and I run alternating-week 13th Age games. Mine has been going for several years now and was ported over from a 4E game so admittedly there's a ton of past-stuff to deal with. If you don't mind that, we only have three players. Adding in a fourth is pretty easy and I'm sure we could find a place to fit you in. I also suspect Fish would be ok bringing you in on his but we'll let him state that for himself if I'm correct.

Thank you for the offer! I'll tell you what I think after this beginner game!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Now that I've decided to take the plunge is there an IRC or something to help me find a game without spamming threads or making posts in the wrong spot? IRC or something similar would be nice too because I have never rolled a character without computer assistance or rolled a d20.

double edit nothing to see here I guess

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 1, 2013

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
irc.synirc.org, #badwrongfun will probably be able to find someone to help you! Also, that's where most of us hang.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Rhinoceraptor -

Fish and I run alternating-week 13th Age games. Mine has been going for several years now and was ported over from a 4E game so admittedly there's a ton of past-stuff to deal with. If you don't mind that, we only have three players. Adding in a fourth is pretty easy and I'm sure we could find a place to fit you in. I also suspect Fish would be ok bringing you in on his but we'll let him state that for himself if I'm correct.

I'll have to see how this week's game goes. Introducing player #4 to Skyrim Age on Friday and 4 players is usually my limit. We could definitely benefit from a 4th player in Zane, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

waderockett posted:

I put this question to the Pelgrane forums -- you might be interested in what they proposed.
Thank you! We're having our first session this Saturday and I guess we'll work out the details of zombification at the table, but I definitely feel confident that I have enough "raw material" to build the spell out of now. I didn't even think of using (save ends), that would be a very good way to deal with it, I think.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Running a one-shot on Skype/Roll20 next week, no specific date. Post what day and time works best for you in the thread, my schedule should be pretty open. Build your own character, or just have a general idea of the character you'd like and I (or anyone else who gets to it before me, anyone should feel free) will try and put something together.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Question regarding Chromatic Destroyer heritage. It seems less useful than I first thought, looking at it. After all, the Sorcerer is often going to be spending turns gathering power, and because of the Escalation Die, fights don't last overly long. Between that and the fact that every Breath Weapon is a Daily spell, how often are you really going to have multiple Breath Weapons up anyway?

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
The draft of the Bestiary is up! I have some... shall we say... vested interest in seeing how the thread reacts.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This art is fantastic

More of this please

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

The draft of the Bestiary is up! I have some... shall we say... vested interest in seeing how the thread reacts.

Wait, I'm a KS backer and I can't find the 'order' page to preview this... :shrug:

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

Wait, I'm a KS backer and I can't find the 'order' page to preview this... :shrug:

I'm guessing it was a mental slip and they'll send out a KS mail like they have for everything else.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

DaVideo posted:

I'm guessing it was a mental slip and they'll send out a KS mail like they have for everything else.

I've nudged Gerald to make sure that's in the works.

Also! We announced 13th Age organized play, and posted a form for anyone who's interested in participating as a GM and/or player.

I also wrote an article about using Esoterrorist 2nd edition GM advice to plot antagonist responses in 13th Age.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

13th Age organized play could be cool. Support for something like that would be a great way for me to run an open game at the local shop and hopefully get some regular players out of it.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa:

I've been hoping for something like this to come along. Gonna have to talk with the owner of the LGS about it next time I see him.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I have a quick rules question, can a bard spell jack utility spell from the wizard?

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
Do you mean learning a specific utility spell, or using the general mechanic of casting any utility spell of that slot level or lower? I see no problem with either.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My first session went pretty good!

My ragtag pirate crew included such characters as a machinery-incompatible half-orc enforcer, a wood elf with gills, and Nicodemus, the dark elf warrior who can cook exactly slightly better than anyone else in the same room. Their first task - still ongoing - is to find a piece of buried treasure on a far off island, but first there was the more pressing matter of fencing a hold full of maneki-nekos. I do believe we managed to set the right tone for this game.

Did have a slightly unpleasant issue with a player who liked neither the fail forward concept nor the idea of icons, as a whole, but that's a more general issue than with 13th Age and will likely find its way into the GM advice thread one of these days. For my part, I like the system a lot - preparation took maybe 10% of the time it would have taken me for D&D, and at no point did I feel I was in over my head for it (save maybe for one point, where through my lack of preparing an NPC name list, the zombie-bitten fighter had to visit local physician Dr. Martens). In fact, we only got through half of what I did have prepared. Icon relationship rolls worked better for me than expected; I'm not good at improvisation but I managed to weave every 5 and 6 into the narrative somehow, even though the number of 5s and 6s rolled was, statistically speaking, very improbably high.

Didn't get much fighting done, though, so I can't comment on that yet, nor on how well our necromancer houserule ended up working. Next time.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Last night's game went really well. Takes place in the Elder Scrolls universe, albeit on a different continent from the one in the games.
The party went to Aetherius in search of the Guardian of the Black Gate, because he reportedly knows where the campaign MacGuffin is located.
Turns out said Guardian is Talos, the God of War. Who wants to guess the one way to impress him?

All in all, the battle went really well.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Did have a slightly unpleasant issue with a player who liked neither the fail forward concept nor the idea of icons, as a whole

One Unique Thing: Outlander who's not subject to the laws of this setting. He's the only person in the world whose failures are flat-out failures, and the Icons ignore him.

I'm glad to hear your first outing with 13th Age went well!

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

-Fish- posted:

Last night's game went really well. Takes place in the Elder Scrolls universe, albeit on a different continent from the one in the games.
The party went to Aetherius in search of the Guardian of the Black Gate, because he reportedly knows where the campaign MacGuffin is located.
Turns out said Guardian is Talos, the God of War. Who wants to guess the one way to impress him?

All in all, the battle went really well.

Can I ask where this screenshot is from? I might be playing a 13 th age game with some friends over Skype soon, for the first time, and this looks ideal for representing the combat.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
That looks like Roll20 using a background picture and some sprites from video games. Normally there's a grid for play using distances, but you can turn it off for use with games like 13th Age.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

It's Roll20. Ryven Cedrylle and I have been experimenting with using video game maps as backgrounds in 13th Age, I've been using 16 bit RPGs like Chrono Trigger, he's been using pre-rendered maps from Final Fantasy, Onimusha, etc. It's working pretty well.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I really like the idea of using a 2D backdrop for 13th Age combat. I had considered mocking up some backgrounds previously, but using old video game screens, seems like much less effort. I feel like it'd encourage players to try more cool stuff involving their surroundings than playing from a top down, minimalist map.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I cannot recommend Chrono Cross enough for this. Vibrant maps with plenty to interact with, tons of different settings, even multiple versions of many of the maps.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

-Fish- posted:

I cannot recommend Chrono Cross enough for this. Vibrant maps with plenty to interact with, tons of different settings, even multiple versions of many of the maps.

Please, let's use a good RPG . Everyone should click that link, for real.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
The 13th Age: A game in which a bad joke can explode the heads of six fish men.

Thanks PublicOpinion for running this newbie game, it was great!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Just ran that one shot! Fun times. At first I was mostly running it because people who hadn't played it wanted a chance and I had the time, but actually I think there is room for a system besides Dungeon World in my heart.

The story: the party, consisting of the world's only dwarf wizard, a talking magic bear, a demon-pact lawyer, an Archmage-hating conspiracy theorist, a paladin undead-slayer who has specific knowledge of the location of the Lich King's phylactery, and a terrible comedian bard whose head was turned into a pumpkin were hired by Glitterhaegen's merchant concerns to investigate the wrecking of caravans in the Bitterwood. Asking around in town revealed a wizard, specializing in gates and portals, who had been expecting an artifact that had been unearthed beneath Anvil--an artifact that had gone missing, and was not found with the wreckage of its caravan.

The party consulted the map of Bitterwood, and decided that the ancient Pitcairn temple complex seemed a likely place where bandits might hole up. There, they discovered recent tracks disappearing into one of the pits, and rummaging through the cairns discovered a very oceanic theme among the ancient altars. Checking into the biggest cairn they found a couple of sahaugin and their gnoll mercenaries. After a fight, the surviving gnoll revealed that they were contracted to keep people away and guard the "digguns". The wizard found an enchanted plumb-bob made from a spiral shell, which curiously did not point straight down.

Discovering a set of stairs into the tunnels below, the party discovered a hidden passage which enabled them to get the drop on a group of gambling guards. Through an extended skill check thing, they subdued the guards before any of them could escape to sound the alarm. They discovered that the sahaugin caesar was performing a ritual to bring forth a titan of the sea. Circling around to the back of the ritual room (as a tomb-raider, the paladin knew that every sanctum would have a back door), the party snuck in and got the drop on the sea-folk. After a battle which featured a fearsome "Bogogre" (which is pronounced "baw-gogger" and is a giant lobster-man, and certainly isn't a reskinned Bog Ogre), they stood victorious, and shortly debated completing the ritual and using the Old One's power to become as gods before heading back to town for the reward.

Wound up understaffing the encounters a bit, so what was supposed to be the climax ended up a bit of a cake-walk when the Bard sound-bursted every mook to death with an incredibly awful joke. I considered simply adding a second wave of dudes coming from an unexplored hallway, but they had me beat fair and square and I didn't want to make the party's tactics irrelevant.

You know, the monster abilities that trigger off a certain roll or the escalation die really do make GMing the other side of the encounter more engaging.

First 13th Age outing for a couple of the players and everyone seemed to have a good time, so, success!

EDIT: Tip for other GMs: Don't make an encounter where every enemy does ongoing damage. I did that the one-shot before this one, and it was just ugly all over. A pain to track, and it kinda sucked for the guy who wound up getting ganged up on and was suddenly taking 12 damage at the end of every turn.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 8, 2013

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I too was in that game (as a mix of a boastful Altair and Allie McBeal). I was (and still am) a Dungeon World man, but it was extremely interesting how diverse everyone's character was.

I mean, we literally reskinned one of the barbarians as a talking bear. Who talked to other bears (and was apparently in a huge honey-debt).

I didn't understand the minion rules at the time, so I focused on larger threats. My character slit a guard's throat with a steel-tipped business card (which she left for the other guards to find), as well as flicking blood into a sea witch's eyes and teleporting behind a flaming gnoll and stabbing him. (Unfortunately, the dead gnoll fell on her and nearly took her out of action).

What was really, really awesome, though, was my innate, once per-battle teleport mixed with my rogue powers. I opened up the final combat by tapping a merman champion on the back, then disappearing. My next turn, I appeared behind an evil sea witch, and slit her throat from ear to ear (covering my teammate in gore and nearly extinguishing his candle-face; 29 damage is a hell of a lot of at first level).

My next turn I took the same blade, which was engraved with my law firm's name, and made eye contact with the Merman's Champion. As the camera tracked past four of my teammates engaged in battle, it flew directly into his eye socket. I tapped him on the shoulder from behind, kicking the knife out of his face as he dropped to the ground dead.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

These are amazing. Not all of them are applicable to being used as backgrounds for an encounter, but some of them would make for some interesting backgrounds to one.

Edit:
VVVV
Agreed!

Onean fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 8, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Onean posted:

These are amazing. Not all of them are applicable to being used as backgrounds for an encounter, but some of them would make for some interesting backgrounds to one.

Also FF9 is the best FF please check it out.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I was in PublicOpinion's game and I was the bear. It was a lot of fun. I think the best part for me was trying to stretch my +3 Is A Bear background to as many things as I could.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rhinoceraptor posted:

The 13th Age: A game in which a bad joke can explode the heads of six fish men.

Thanks PublicOpinion for running this newbie game, it was great!

Yeah, that was a blast. The bard felt really functional and useful, both in and out of combat. The pumpkin head idea was a lot of fun and I thought helped explain the fire based attacks.

And that joke killed! [/pun]

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Yeah that game was really, really fun. I wanna thank everyone involved. I was a pretty decent good cop except when my back was turned and bodies were desecrated and throats were slit. Also our bear straight up ate a dude.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Now you listen here pal. Chrono Cross may not be a perfect game. Chrono Cross may have done a few things wrong. But her maps ain't one of them. :clint:

Seriously though, any game that has pre-rendered backgrounds like these is great fodder for maps in 13th Age. The departure from a strictly top-down perspective is extremely fun in practice.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

I was skeptical at first but, wow, those really work.

-Fish- posted:

Now you listen here pal. Chrono Cross may not be a perfect game. Chrono Cross may have done a few things wrong. But her maps ain't one of them. :clint:

:aaa: I want more like FF9 and Chrono Cross.

EDIT:

VVV I meant to say "I want more MAPS like FF9" :v: VVV

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 8, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

I was skeptical at first but, wow, those really work.

:aaa: I want more like FF9 and Chrono Cross.

We all want more like FF9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Onimusha series has excellent scenery you can steal, especially Onimusha 2. For the life of me I can't remember any other games other than Final Fantasy that has prerendered backgrounds, even though I've played dozens.

• Locked thread