Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Tiptoes posted:

It seemed heavily implied to me that Annie doomed Marco by stealing his gear before the battle. Jean is the one who finds his body and later makes mention of how Marco never got a chance to use his 3D gear. Annie never comes across the body as far as I can tell. Her "forgive me" line was over the body of random nobodies. Just guilt over the deaths she (and Reiner/Bertholdt, who are also in that scene) cause but not a specific person as far as I can tell. I think it's too coincidental for her to come across his body accidentally and just loot it. She needed gear prepped for battle but unused at the point of theft since that's the gear she used officially on authorized missions. It needed to match her records about its usage. Trying to find unused/undamaged gear among corpses would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Makes more sense logistically and narratively if she manufactured Marco's death by taking it beforehand.

There's a problem with the idea that she would steal his gear before the battle: Marco was on top of the wall with Armin until Armin takes off to find Eren, and he had his 3D gear at the time. So in order for her to be directly responsible for his death, she would have had to find him, get him to stop, and THEN knock him out and take his gear. In that case, I think it's more likely she lucked into finding his body, intact gear included. The only other possibility is that she transformed, grabbed him in a manner so as to avoid damaging his gear and killed him herself, but that feels even less likely to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Couldn't she have just straight up murdered him? Stab him and push him off the wall? No one would be doing forensics on the sea of bodies as they're bringing them to be burned.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Couldn't she have just straight up murdered him? Stab him and push him off the wall? No one would be doing forensics on the sea of bodies as they're bringing them to be burned.
That'd be quite a stab wound...

Actually... that is kind of curious. In Trost there was the first chaotic battle to help the civilians evacuate, and then there was a second battle to lure the titans into the corner, and apparently lot of people died (off screen) during that, but once they were up on the walls, they should have been safe. The battles were over then. It was just canons and scouting legion after that.

So how did Marco die?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like a titan wound though.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010
Yeah, it looks like a bite was taken out of him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eiba posted:

That'd be quite a stab wound...

Actually... that is kind of curious. In Trost there was the first chaotic battle to help the civilians evacuate, and then there was a second battle to lure the titans into the corner, and apparently lot of people died (off screen) during that, but once they were up on the walls, they should have been safe. The battles were over then. It was just canons and scouting legion after that.

So how did Marco die?

From the looks of it he was bitten in half by a titan and his body was thrown alongside that shed. The indent in the wall seems to indicate that his body has not been moved prior to Jean finding his body but the placement of his arms seems a bit unnatural for a corpse that was discarded from at least 5m from the ground. I'd guess that Annie moved his arm across his chest after taking his gear to show her respect for his body.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You know I don't remember if this got discussed but who / what is the significance of the other person that the colossal titan grabbed?

Next panel shows them both being swallowed and still does not show the 2nd persons face. This has to be another titan pilot in the group right?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Maybe Bert was just hungry.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Thoren posted:

Maybe Bert was just hungry.
God help us all if Sasha turns into a titan.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Paracelsus posted:

No, that would be humanity's best weapon. We could just pelt a titan with potatoes and instinct would take care of the rest.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Only if Sasha can still make The Face while in titan form.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Breaky posted:

You know I don't remember if this got discussed but who / what is the significance of the other person that the colossal titan grabbed?

Next panel shows them both being swallowed and still does not show the 2nd persons face. This has to be another titan pilot in the group right?

The only important person it could have been would be Hannes who I don't think we see after that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hannes is in the stationary guard, not the scouting legion.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Isn't this him?
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/42/10

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Captain Cappy posted:

The only important person it could have been would be Hannes who I don't think we see after that.

He was there but it would be really odd if he were a Titan pilot or something

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Paracelsus posted:

What ever happened to her anyway? Was she the one that fought off a smaller titan with a bow? Have we seen her since that happened?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Dr_Amazing posted:

What ever happened to her anyway? Was she the one that fought off a smaller titan with a bow? Have we seen her since that happened?

She got sidetracked by a basket of potatoes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr_Amazing posted:

She's off with her father.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The potato pilots are finally standing up after so long. A new war for humanity begins on two fronts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
SnK's going to pull a Big O. Sasha will have a nervous breakdown as she realizes that she is a potato.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Eren and Mikasa will run around wherever before finding her hungrily and ineffectually pawing at her reflection.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's spreading to other sub-forums:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TastyLemonDrops posted:

She got sidetracked by a basket of potatoes.

The manga is going to end when Sasha sees a titan destroy a field of potatoes while chasing after a human. Eren's burning hatred of titans will be but a candle to the sun of Sasha's fury.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of these days we'll get a chapter with a flashback showing how Sasha became obsessed with potatoes after her mother got eaten by a titan while baking potatoes for the family, and all our potato jokes will retroactively become terribly depressing. :smith:

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I love this exchange:

Hallgerd posted:

It seems like it's most likely to be Reiner Braun, the guy Annie picked up but didn't kill in titan form. He has the same resemblance thing going on and there are a lot of incidents in the manga where he and Annie seem particularly close or 'in the know'.

Simstim posted:

Nah, Reiner is the same age as Eren and crew. The armored titan attacked the first wall while they were all kids. He is also best friends with the guy with black hair whom he joined the military with since they were kids. Black hair guy would have to be a titan as well.

drat you Black Hair Guy :argh:

Thoren fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 2, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Soulcleaver posted:

I think Sasquatch is from a completely different country or batch or whatever than the rest of the titans. He had never seen 3D gear before and wanted to study it, and he wasn't sure he spoke the same language as the humans. Have we seen any other titans with hair anywhere other than their heads? (And even a lot of those have male pattern baldness...)

Different...and opposed, most likely.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/38/37

Check out their individual reactions. Ymir is stupefied--probably she's never seen his like before. Reiner is the most afraid-looking we've ever seen him. Bert is horrified. Connie is more shaken by their over-the-top reactions than he is by Monkey Trouble himself.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Level Slide posted:

Only if Sasha can still make The Face while in titan form.

That's what her titan face is. Always.

During Annie and Eren's fight in the anime, did Annie grab her neck while fighting? It didn't look like she did, and that's kind of disappointing because that's my favorite bit of foreshadowing in the entire series.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

She did, split second blink-and-you-miss moment. It wasn't during a still.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Autumncomet posted:

She did, split second blink-and-you-miss moment. It wasn't during a still.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really look that much like the manga version.

Changing it to a fist and it's not even really covering the neck.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Yeah, it just looks like a normal guard for that side of her face. She looks like she's clutching her ear or holding her bangs in place.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Even in fanart Sasha must always be depicted with potatoes. It is known.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm reading the chapters at Castle Utgarde at the moment and it's really, really bugging me.

I mean I literally can't parse Ryner's internal monologues, the flashback with him and Bertie and Ymir eating the kid, the fact that he is resigned to die/ not die without using his get-out-of-jail-free powers, with the fact that then at the wall he just bursts out into a big ole walking invincibility juggernaut.

I mean if he had chosen any other point to use his powers the story would have been completely different, and the difference between him at the wall and him before the wall is just ... weird.

God I hope there is an explanation for this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JosephWongKS posted:

One of these days we'll get a chapter with a flashback showing how Sasha became obsessed with potatoes after her mother got eaten by a titan while baking potatoes for the family, and all our potato jokes will retroactively become terribly depressing. :smith:

I find all the potato jokes terribly depressing already

Nilbop posted:

I feel like he didn't want to expose who he was to his friends, because he really considered them friends. But then things went real, real bad.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nilbop posted:

I'm reading the chapters at Castle Utgarde at the moment and it's really, really bugging me.

I mean I literally can't parse Ryner's internal monologues, the flashback with him and Bertie and Ymir eating the kid, the fact that he is resigned to die/ not die without using his get-out-of-jail-free powers, with the fact that then at the wall he just bursts out into a big ole walking invincibility juggernaut.

I mean if he had chosen any other point to use his powers the story would have been completely different, and the difference between him at the wall and him before the wall is just ... weird.

I think This page is what changed him.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

We're working off incomplete information. We still don't know what the deal is in their home village.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Superstring posted:

We're working off incomplete information. We still don't know what the deal is in their home village.

Seems like their objective might have been to either stop / find Eren directly, or to stop whatever potentially illegal titan research was going on. I mean, their whole offer was for Eren to leave with them and they would never touch the wall again... clearly they are after some secret on a mission from their group or whatever because of something related to Erens titan power.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Soulcleaver posted:

Even in fanart Sasha must always be depicted with potatoes. It is known.

Or bread.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Breaky posted:

Seems like their objective might have been to either stop / find Eren directly, or to stop whatever potentially illegal titan research was going on. I mean, their whole offer was for Eren to leave with them and they would never touch the wall again... clearly they are after some secret on a mission from their group or whatever because of something related to Erens titan power.
They murdered hundreds of thousands of innocents and risked the complete annihilation of humanity. gently caress those guys and Annie too. :colbert:

I am interested in finding out their real purpose, though. Especially how it connects to the wall church and the royal family.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I was just randomly rereading the whole story, and I happened to get to an interesting panel that might tangentially relate to this conversation:
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/18/15

When Irvin reveals that there's a ~basement of mystery~ in Shiganshina, Bertholdt looks concerned, and Reiner says, "basement, huh..."

Besides those two and Armin, who has reasons for being concerned, the rest of the recruits seem to be pretty happy about this news.

I get the feeling that those two know what's in the basement. And I'm going to throw out a wild guess that it's a tunnel leading to their "hometown" or something.

But as for their motives at the moment... it's interesting. After rereading the latest few chapters, it's pretty clear that their mission was to wipe out humanity inside the walls. But something changed, and now they don't have to.

Honestly, the idea that humanity needed to be wiped out is an alien enough one that I can hardly imagine it, much less what would make them change their mind... but if I had to guess, I'd say the reveal of the hairy titan has something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Its possible that the initial plan was to get into the royal guard before transforming and really loving poo poo up. Seeing titian Eren changed things.