Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Serious George posted:

A bit late with this (I tend to periodically remember this thread and watch videos in batches) but you guys actually got me to pick up Downhill Domination and Aggressive Inline and I had a lot of fun with them, so thanks.

If you have the chance to play it, I would recommend Whirl Tour. It is a scooter game (I'd say not as bad as Razor Freestyle), it's completely ridiculous - has a storyline AND bosses - and a co-op story mode as well. I think it would make for interesting videos.

I bought Whirl Tour literally months ago and am saving it for something...special.

Alright, now I'm coming back here with the REAL first episode of Mountain Bike Adrenaline. From what everyone's opinions were, I'd like you to see if the game has now magically become better once I know what I'm doing. I probably follow through to the end of the game now that I know how to structure the videos out.

:siren:From this point on, Let's REALLY Play Mountain Bike Adrenaline:siren:

Part 1: Rockies Stopwatch Mode

Text Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.

Ovues posted:

I bought Whirl Tour literally months ago and am saving it for something...special.

Ooh, special is good (usually). And speaking of special, I can't get it out of my head that when you finish a level in Mountain Bike Adrenaline the soundbite that plays sounds exactly like the THPS 2 special trick sound sped up a bit. I dunno, you be the judge:

MBA: http://youtu.be/T7XeWvegPi8?t=5m39s
THPS2: http://youtu.be/ahavqCSgaeg?t=4m34s

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Serious George posted:

Ooh, special is good (usually). And speaking of special, I can't get it out of my head that when you finish a level in Mountain Bike Adrenaline the soundbite that plays sounds exactly like the THPS 2 special trick sound sped up a bit. I dunno, you be the judge:

MBA: http://youtu.be/T7XeWvegPi8?t=5m39s
THPS2: http://youtu.be/ahavqCSgaeg?t=4m34s

That's what it is! MBA Just took it and sped it up/raised the pitch.

Ohhh my god this game. And you'll see next episode that there is a very clear typo in a very obvious location (yes, there are multiple typos in this game).

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
It's... just not extreme. :(

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Kaislioc posted:

It's... just not extreme. :(

It's just not a good game. :( But I learn a lot from these games, and I've already learned from this game: when I get stuck in real life I just wiggle and jump around until I'm free.

Serious George posted:

A bit late with this (I tend to periodically remember this thread and watch videos in batches) but you guys actually got me to pick up Downhill Domination and Aggressive Inline and I had a lot of fun with them, so thanks.

If you have the chance to play it, I would recommend Whirl Tour. It is a scooter game (I'd say not as bad as Razor Freestyle), it's completely ridiculous - has a storyline AND bosses - and a co-op story mode as well. I think it would make for interesting videos.

I have often thought back nostalgically to the beginning of this LP series and DD... It's pretty drat good.

And as Ovues said, he has Whirl Tour, but I didn't know it had co-op... I don't actually know what Ovues is planning on doing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ovues posted:

That's what it is! MBA Just took it and sped it up/raised the pitch.
When you hit a gate the bleep sounds like the mission status update thing from the Hitman games just shifted down.

Personally I'd like to play a proper technical biking game, kinda like how they handled skate./2. Too bad this is poo poo.
(Skate 3 doesn't count, it's drat good but it went into arcade land)

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yeah, I understand it seems a bit...boring. So maybe I'll try to get through this faster. Don't worry: this is the only game I picked based on how mediocre it looked. Everything else is apparently special (or at least solid). On this episode, we get to the really technical poo poo, and see the game in all its true glory.

Mountain Bike Adrenaline Part 2: Rockies Challenge Mode

Text Link

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Ovues posted:

Yeah, I understand it seems a bit...boring. So maybe I'll try to get through this faster. Don't worry: this is the only game I picked based on how mediocre it looked. Everything else is apparently special (or at least solid). On this episode, we get to the really technical poo poo, and see the game in all its true glory.

Hill Bike Boredom really needs a dose of intuition. It's fine if they want to make a technical game that's fine, but they made one that's pretty unintuitive when it comes to communicating instructions. Also, the game looks and sounds really unpolished.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We will have fun thankyouverymuch... With our Good games :smug:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

BioEnchanted posted:

We will have fun thankyouverymuch... With our Good games :smug:

What's that? I mean, what is 'good'? I don't think I remember...

So I guess I'll push this game out faster so we can get back to all the others. I hope my little 'experiment' isn't as bad when it takes only half the time to get through. For now, let's move on to the Alps, and this first video is really just a teaser for the second video. I had very little trouble with the stopwatch events, but oh boy, you guys are going to be blown away by the Challenge video, just saying.

If for nothing else, click on the video and go to 6:45 for some amazing camerawork by the game.

Mountain Bike Adrenaline Part 3: Alps Stopwatch Mode

Text Link

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Well, it looks like the French Alps in the Summer are actually a good place to go biking. That said, it looks less like this and more like, say, this, in-game.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I don't mind the experiment, it's always a blast watching you and blanktester try out all these obscure, mediocre cash grabs. And graphical glitches are always the best glitches. :allears:

Just curious, is there multiplayer in that boredom/adrenaline game?

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Daigerus posted:

I don't mind the experiment, it's always a blast watching you and blanktester try out all these obscure, mediocre cash grabs. And graphical glitches are always the best glitches. :allears:

Just curious, is there multiplayer in that boredom/adrenaline game?

Thank you for not capitalizing my name. I feel like it looks weird capitalized, like it's a title or something.

The only kind of glitch I like to see more than graphical glitches are internal ones that cause save files to corrupt into something very different, but still readable. Like when a game randomly throws you way ahead of where you should be. I wouldn't say this game is mediocre... Mediocre gives it a lot more credit than it's due.

And multiplayer would require effort, so no.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Why do I have the feeling I am absolutely destroying any good will built up in here by playing this game? Ugh, if only Jonny Moseley had been twice as long... Either way, it's time to do some challenges and...uh...have a lot of trouble doing them. A lot. of trouble. A lot.

Mountain Bike Adrenaline Part 4: Alps Challenge Mode

Text Link

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Ovues posted:

Why do I have the feeling I am absolutely destroying any good will built up in here by playing this game? Ugh, if only Jonny Moseley had been twice as long... Either way, it's time to do some challenges and...uh...have a lot of trouble doing them. A lot. of trouble. A lot.

We have got to get through this game faster... Maybe do a double update next time so we can just get through this poo poo? But we really need to move onto something where you might be able to build up a fanbase again. You know, more than just your mom.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
Try doubling the speed of the recording after your commentary. It'll be over quicker -and- possibly hilarious what with sped-up voices. Squirreltester and Insetichipmunk.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

IntelligentCalcium posted:

Try doubling the speed of the recording after your commentary. It'll be over quicker -and- possibly hilarious what with sped-up voices. Squirreltester and Insetichipmunk.

That's a good idea. This is why you are the unofficial third member of the team even though we live with "allen".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's worth it to see some of the most amazing design I think I've ever seen. A jump course where your player model blocks the jumps! That's the kind of thing you don't get anywhere else.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

That's a good idea. This is why you are the unofficial third member of the team even though we live with "allen".

Right. Welcome aboard. Uh, the games are over in that pile - just, like, get to them, like, whenever. And we need some stuff to talk about for next level so, uh, yeah, do that as well.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Laughed my arse off when you had already come off you bike before the timer starter.

Also, this seems like they didn't playtest the jumping sections enough. You really can't see where the gaps in those paths are.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

spamman posted:

Laughed my arse off when you had already come off you bike before the timer starter.

Also, this seems like they didn't playtest the jumping sections enough. You really can't see where the gaps in those paths are.

Gotta say, still no idea how that happened.

And about the jumping sections: The third area pretty much shows that the developers expect you to cheese the events. Because there are some 'jumps' that in no way would get you any distance at all done the normal way. Sooooo uh yeah.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, who's ready for more Mountain Bike Adrenali-no one. No one's ready for more mountain bike adrenaline. At least you get to look at the pretty lava and stuff?

Mountain Bike Adrenaline Part 5: Hawaii Stopwatch Mode

Text Link

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I think what happened when you fell into the volcano was that it reset you immediately and gave you control before the fade to black for that death, which of course meant that you couldn't see where you were going and rode straight into the caldera again.

Also, I'm relatively impressed that they even bothered to do fire effects for some of trees.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I still follow this thread :3:

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

I've got it! What would make this game amazing is the totally bored-sounding trick announcement clips from Johnny Moseley.

Also that fire looked like something out of a 90s website logo .gif.

PS: TANSTAAFR

Edit: Storline? Okay. The in-game characters are like a lame scooby-doo club and also do mountain biking; and their 'leader' gets an interest in geocaching and they find out about a world-wide geocaching event that involves collecting 'gold' medals so they load up their 'Mystery Machine' (an aging 2003 Ford Explorer with rust spots but a pristine roof-mounted bike rack) and head off to ADVENTURE. And if that's not enough of a run-on sentence for you I don't know what is.

Melondog fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 30, 2013

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got a plot for ya. Johnny Demonic has returned and cast an evil spell to suck all the fun out of extreme sports. With the laws of physics fully in effect, a group of people who were unaffected due to already being dull as a brick took it into their own hands to collect gold medals to inspire Tony Hawk, Shaun White and Johnny Moseley to take up their skateboard/snowboard/skis and make the world exciting again. Only then, when Tony Hawk performs his fabled 900o, will the laws of physics break once more, and the sports will once again become XTREME!!

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
poo poo, okay, those are both better than what blanktester and I came up with. I thought it was a bit of a stretch trying to shove Johnny Demonic in there but I guess since he did ruin extreme sports games forever by setting a bar that was way too high for any other video game villain to approach, his actions directly influence this game.

And speaking of raised and lowered bars, OH GOD how did you people ever play Evolution Skateboarding? It's so clunky! I feel like a two-legged boat that's trying to skate on another smaller boat!

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

Hang on, no love for Skier X? I mean he has an X in the name, that has to amount to something!

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Serious George posted:

Hang on, no love for Skier X? I mean he has an X in the name, that has to amount to something!

I've got it! Skier X is the one who made it snow everywhere in Johnny Moseley's game! He's in league with Demonic to ruin XTREME SPORTS forever! The scooby doo gang has to collect all the gold metals before Skier X buries them under permafrost; going with BioEnchanted's idea, the mountain bike kids then have to use these medals to revive the fallen Xtreme Heroes that have been placed in an icy stasis by Skier X and Demonic. Together they shred and skate in an event SO XTREME it warms the Earth back up to normal and restores the glory of XTREME SPORTS.

Starring Willem Defoe as Demonic and Gary Oldman as Skier X. In theaters XTREME-mas 2014.

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

Ovues posted:

poo poo, okay, those are both better than what blanktester and I came up with. I thought it was a bit of a stretch trying to shove Johnny Demonic in there but I guess since he did ruin extreme sports games forever by setting a bar that was way too high for any other video game villain to approach, his actions directly influence this game.

And speaking of raised and lowered bars, OH GOD how did you people ever play Evolution Skateboarding? It's so clunky! I feel like a two-legged boat that's trying to skate on another smaller boat!

The people I know who played Evolution Skateboarding (incl. myself) only played it because of the Metal Gear Solid 2 plug. Thank god I had the chance to borrow it, it would've been a bad investment.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
:psyduck:
What have I wrought unto this thread?

Ok, new thread clause, you guys do the fanfic, I'm stepping down. I'm out of the game, I've been horribly outclassed by the XTREEEEEME in those two posts alone.

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

I've got it! Skier X is the one who made it snow everywhere in Johnny Moseley's game! He's in league with Demonic to ruin XTREME SPORTS forever! The scooby doo gang has to collect all the gold metals before Skier X buries them under permafrost; going with BioEnchanted's idea, the mountain bike kids then have to use these medals to revive the fallen Xtreme Heroes that have been placed in an icy stasis by Skier X and Demonic. Together they shred and skate in an event SO XTREME it warms the Earth back up to normal and restores the glory of XTREME SPORTS.

Starring Willem Defoe as Demonic and Gary Oldman as Skier X. In theaters XTREME-mas 2014.

I feel like this is one of those stories where the villains totally steal the show.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Serious George posted:

I feel like this is one of those stories where the villains totally steal the show.

Ahahaha loving amazing. This thread is the greatest.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Serious George posted:

Alright, calm down people, it's all good, this thread's back up now to 5-star status.

Meanwhile, on my end, blanktester and I finally get to talk about the plot that we interpreted for the game as of, like, 5 days ago before any of this plot chat started. Needless to say, we don't hold a candle to what's been created here. Also, I'll try to get the last area of the game in faster because A: it's actually kind of fun and B: gently caress this game.

Mountain Bike Adrenaline Part 6: Hawaii Challenge Mode ft. Barkevious Mingo

Text Link

And I gotta say DEAR GOD the graphical glitches on the hills by the beach...yeah that was all pretty consistent.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 3, 2013

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Given all the glitches, I'm surprised the game is playable as it is and that you haven't fallen through he ground or anything, even with the obtuse controls and unintuitive ways of completing certain objectives. Maybe you'll uncover even more broken-ness once you guys unlock Free Mode and explore the crap out of that level geometry, who knows?

In terms of guest commentators, why not get Alan or Tinker back? As for me, I feel like I'd do a better job lurking and spontaneously providing fanart when you least expect it (or whenever my muse strikes me).

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

I was actually going to ask if you'd feel like having any guests joining you. :buddy:

Hahaha I got a shout-out sweet.

Samsa
Dec 28, 2012

Some people are cockroaches.
Gregor is a weird name.
Real life will always be stranger than fiction.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Given all the glitches, I'm surprised the game is playable as it is and that you haven't fallen through he ground or anything, even with the obtuse controls and unintuitive ways of completing certain objectives. Maybe you'll uncover even more broken-ness once you guys unlock Free Mode and explore the crap out of that level geometry, who knows?

I recorded the Grand Canyon area and then took this game out of my PS2 and microwaved it. We can only dream of what I'd find in a different life, one where this game made me want to go into freeride.

I was actually going to ask if you'd feel like having any guests joining you. :buddy:

Hahaha I got a shout-out sweet.

I hate to say it but I'm not really sure about doing guests again. At least to me, the Freekstyle videos are kinda awkward in retrospect. Not putting anyone down, but since I'd literally only talked to any of you for 5 minutes max beforehand, the videos were like "ok go ahead try to talk about anything but small remarks on the game for 10 minutes straight"

And you know what if I'm going to keep finding more generic and more broken games, I'd rather talk about Barkevious Mingo or absolute truth or the spirits of the dead crying out or what I had for lunch that day.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

I... I've missed a lot.

Skier X is both the bad guy AND Jonny's father, which makes the plot twist at the end even more twisty. The rest of the plot c'est magnifique.

Also, I fuckin' love Gary Oldman. He's the man.

Serious George posted:

Only after seeing this INCREDIBLE picture did Insetik and I realize that you guys haven't actually seen Skier X before. He's significantly more masked than you drew.

Which makes cramming him into this game even easier.

Daigerus posted:

As for me, I feel like I'd do a better job lurking and spontaneously providing fanart when you least expect it (or whenever my muse strikes me).

I hope your muse beats the tar out of you, because we (and I daresay everyone else) love fanart.

Insetik is awkward and clumsy and stupid and has no friends but I think we could probably have a great time recording. I do think if you or anyone else wants to guest commentate with us, I'd ask that we maybe skype for a bit before hand to loosen up, or maybe even play something online together before recording. To help build camaraderie.

Samsa posted:

Real life will always be stranger than fiction.

So true.

Ovues posted:

I recorded the Grand Canyon area and then took this game out of my PS2 and microwaved it.

Were it so easy.

Ovues posted:

the spirits of the dead crying out

Make some NOOOIIISE. What? What? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

blanktester posted:

Only after seeing this INCREDIBLE picture did Insetik and I realize that you guys haven't actually seen Skier X before. He's significantly more masked than you drew.

Which makes cramming him into this game even easier.

If you couldn't tell, that's the...uhh...Russian PC version front cover of Mountain Bike Adrenaline. And we're pretty sure that all those logos on the bottom were actually on the game box. All of them.

Also, you guys never actually got to see Skier X, didn't you? Well, come back to reality and think about how generic a character with the generic name "Skier X" would look. Basically, he's a lot more masked than you think he is. That is, of course, why Jonny Moseley doesn't know Skier X is his father until he takes off the mask.

quote:

Insetik is awkward and clumsy and stupid and has no friends but I think we could probably have a great time recording. I do think if you or anyone else wants to guest commentate with us, I'd ask that we maybe skype for a bit before hand to loosen up, or maybe even play something online together before recording. To help build camaraderie.

Too bad all you play now is Malarious or Nefarious or whatever that game is called. But, I guess I need to think about doing the guest comm thing again. Maybe it could happen. Or how about this: IntelliegentCalcium, BioEnchanted, Serious George, and Daigerus - you all form your own team, I'll send you the un-commentated videos, and you deliver me the comedy gold that follows.

• Locked thread