Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

El Hefe posted:

I'll never forgive the show for cutting Strong Belwas.

That's the flag for the final confrontation! Now you have to meet the showrunners on a beach around noon where first they will kick your rear end but, when you seem to be beaten and left on all fours, you will clench a handful of sand in your quaking fist and declare "You! You alone can I not forgive!" then jump to your feet as the series themesong plays in the background and you do your rollcall pose and catchphrase.

Then you kill them and they fall over, exploding into a giant fireball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Strong Belwas was left out, and Tormund Giantsbane hasn't mentioned his dick or raping bears ONCE.

Did D&D even READ these loving books?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's the flag for the final confrontation! Now you have to meet the showrunners on a beach around noon where first they will kick your rear end but, when you seem to be beaten and left on all fours, you will clench a handful of sand in your quaking fist and declare "You! You alone can I not forgive!" then jump to your feet as the series themesong plays in the background and you do your rollcall pose and catchphrase.

Then you kill them and they fall over, exploding into a giant fireball.

And then I'll poo poo down their necks.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So my fairly normal friend that loves the show says he's reading through the books but kinda slowly, since he knows mostly what happens already, which is fair, maybe he'll get through them eventually, he's not a reader.

His wife, who has bouts of what the hell, wanted to know more, so sensibly she wiki'd the rest of the books to get all the main plot points with none of the buildup or context, just so she'd know what would happen. She owns shelves chock full of McCaffrey et al. Yeah.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

El Hefe posted:

And then I'll poo poo down their necks.

That's a legitimate tactic.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I actually spilled my drink laughing at this. There's no way he isn't doing it on purpose now, I can't help but admire this GURM.

I hope you're right and this all culminates in Gurm releasing a sequel that's just Hodor quotes.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

savinhill posted:

I hope you're right and this all culminates in Gurm releasing a sequel that's just Hodor quotes.

"This Hodor quote sounds like a Hodor quote from the books, not one from the show! I ain't readin' this poo poo!"
--A babby thread poster, throwing his copy of Hodor Uncensored: Quotes from Hodor across the room in repulsion.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arrrthritis posted:

And so the transition from TVIVer to Wild Card begins.

A friend of mine finished the book series a couple months ago. At first she talked about how much she liked the series, and as time goes on her opinion of Martin plummets further and further into the Abyss. It's like seeing someone go through the motions of a traumatic experience you yourself have been through. Soon, she's going to be writing ASOIAF smut and talking about how The Only Character Worth Knowing About was cut from the show.

At least we can keep telling Tiny Turtle all about the Battle of Casterly Rock.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Joramun posted:

"This Hodor quote sounds like a Hodor quote from the books, not one from the show! I ain't readin' this poo poo!"
--A babby thread poster, throwing his copy of Hodor Uncensored: Quotes from Hodor across the room in repulsion.

All the Hodor quotes would have several paragraphs of context, and thus spoil the unwary.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SaviourX posted:

sensibly she wiki'd the rest of the books to get all the main plot points with none of the buildup or context, just so she'd know what would happen.

This is the optimal way to absorb the last two books.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The proper way to absorb the last two books is via an enema.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wonder how Ned even found the tower of joy. It's supposed to be out in bum gently caress nowhere and I doubt Rhaegar told more than his Kingsguard about it. The only thing I can think of is Howland Reed or someone knowing because :magic: or Barristan Selmy ratting out its location after the war was all but over. That would seem out of character for him being an honorable dude, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Vigilance posted:

I wonder how Ned even found the tower of joy. It's supposed to be out in bum gently caress nowhere and I doubt Rhaegar told more than his Kingsguard about it. The only thing I can think of is Howland Reed or someone knowing because :magic: or Barristan Selmy ratting out its location after the war was all but over. That would seem out of character for him being an honorable dude, though.

I think if Ned asked Barriston he would tell him, better to leave Lianna with her brother than let the Mountain show up. Though he might not have because the rest of the King's Guard were there..

I'd imagine you could find the tower on a map though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Ashara Dayne probably told Ned, given their history and that she must have known where her brother was. Explains why she killed herself afterwards when it turns out Ned killed her brother (and giving birth to a stillborn daughter probably didn't help).

(When I say history I don't mean "romantic" history. The Stark who "dishonored" Ashara was likely Brandon, not Ned.)

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Opening scene: Ned dies.

End of night one: Robb dies.

End of night two: Tyrion rides a pig.

End of night three: Sansa and Arya (now hardbodied Disney stars in their 20's) have overthrown absolutely everyone possible, including the gods, and as the credits roll, they engage in sapphyic lovemaking.

It will make them filthy rich

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

In It For The Tank posted:

(When I say history I don't mean "romantic" history. The Stark who "dishonored" Ashara was likely Brandon, not Ned.)

I don't recall the books ever stating that it was specifically a Stark, just that it was "someone." I think people assume it's Ned because he was in love with her or something.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't recall the books ever stating that it was specifically a Stark, just that it was "someone." I think people assume it's Ned because he was in love with her or something.

Barristan's POV in ADWD confirms that Ashara slept with a Stark at the Tourney at Harrenhal, without actually revealing whether it was Ned or Brandon.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

Barristan's POV in ADWD confirms that Ashara slept with a Stark at the Tourney at Harrenhal, without actually revealing whether it was Ned or Brandon.
Or even Benjen, giving him a reason to join the Watch. That'd be a nice twist along the lines of Jon being the son of Belwas and the dusky woman.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It could very well have been Benjen.
Offered the wall or death for laying with her while she was bethrothed, a maiden or something similar.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
In my dreams

I am the prince who was promised

It's me

And then the big man comes

For a little

One on one

And he bashes me into paste in the river

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It could have been Benjen in the sense of "he was at the tournament, he might have been old enough to have sex, and his name is Stark," but we have no evidence pointing at anything with Benjen and Ashara while we have a lot of evidence pointing at Ned and Ashara being an important relationship and a little evidence pointing at Brandon and Ashara.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Ok, I guess I forgot about that. I'm currently re-reading them all, and I just started ADWD.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Remember when Ashara Dayne, Arthur Dayne, the Tower of Joy, the laughing knight, and that tournament were never mentioned in the show?

Also I had a terrible nightmare that involved a scene with either Frey or Bolton giving the order to "make Robb pay at the wedding" and then cackling at the camera before it cuts to the credits, totally ruining any moment of surprise, and I woke in a cold sweat

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

It could have been Benjen in the sense of "he was at the tournament, he might have been old enough to have sex, and his name is Stark," but we have no evidence pointing at anything with Benjen and Ashara while we have a lot of evidence pointing at Ned and Ashara being an important relationship and a little evidence pointing at Brandon and Ashara.

Reminder that Gurm is not good at technical details like how a wildling archer could shoot an arrow seven-loving-hundred feet vertically and then also be accurate enough that the clever MiB had to put up dummies to hide behind* and also that children are in sexual situations. Or the appropriateness of that.

I'm eagerly awaiting Tyrion's wedding night and his fat purple mast, is what I'm trying to say.

*They might could have giants for archers but in the book they seemed more focused on bashing in the gate or something. Not that book stuff matters in the show but that's the only thing that I could think of to make sense of that.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

So I was in a shop the other day and saw that lemoncakes were being sold. Thanks to this thread I ended up having an image of Gurm masturbating and suddenly didn't feel hungry.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

NwahNerevar posted:

So I was in a shop the other day and saw that lemoncakes were being sold. Thanks to this thread I ended up having an image of Gurm masturbating and suddenly didn't feel hungry.
Would you say that your tummy hurt?

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
Don't worry, the last books will be good!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Urdnot Fire posted:

Would you say that your tummy hurt?

No, because then I would've masturbated in the shop.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

This is crucial Grum scholars, in any of the books, are tummy and lemoncakes mentioned in the same sentence, or at least paragraph?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Hello.

My name is Sansa Stark.

You upset my tummy. Prepare to die.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
We're #161,472 on the Amazon bestsellers list!

:toot:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

We're #161,472 on the Amazon bestsellers list!

:toot:
That looks pretty good tummy, it's quite an accomplishment.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
The old English formal version was tumach.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

stawk Archer posted:

Don't worry, the last books will be good!

If you think this has an ending, you haven't been paying attention.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

rejutka posted:

The old English formal version was tumach.

I'm glad I'm not crazy, I've said "tumach" before, but I'm not proud of it. I am proud of Amazon best seller A Game Of Bones, however.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

syscall girl posted:

Reminder that Gurm is not good at technical details like how a wildling archer could shoot an arrow seven-loving-hundred feet vertically...

Just addressing this now, because I was curious enough to seek out an answer to the question: assuming that wildling bows can fire an arrow at speeds between 60-100 mph, which is a pretty reasonable assumption given the materials and technology that would be available to a group of nomads in the icy north, they would be topping out between ~128-200 feet upwards. And note that these are the maximum heights for arrows fired, meaning that even if they were to drop the height of the Wall down to these more reasonable numbers (with the excuse that "800 feet" was hyperbole) the arrows wouldn't be moving fast enough to do any damage.

I know it has already been established that Grrm has no sense of scale, but there might as well be some numeric proofs to go along with it. The formula and numbers used can be found here: http://www.algebra.com/algebra/homework/word/travel/Travel_Word_Problems.faq.question.88682.html

Though, speaking of the Wall, have any crazy people come up with numbers for the version seen in the show? It looks to be a much more reasonable height than what is cited in the literature, but once again actual numbers would show how silly the whole thing is.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gravity is lower in Westeros and a "foot" is actually 4 of ours.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
The gravity explains the dragons, maybe. I know it's a fantasy thing, but dragon-flight along the lines of what Drogon was doing during the trading scene has always bothered me. As to the second point, doesn't that make the Wall actually 3200 feet? Or did you mean one of our feet is four of theirs?

Now I'm just picturing all of the characters with these gigantic clown shoes on. All of the sex scenes just got a lot more awkward... unless you're into that kind of thing?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM probably wrote the Wall at 700 feet because he thought that it was an impressive number and never paid it any attention.
When they were making that rather atrocious GoT RPG for the consoles and PC, they showed him a 1:1 scale model of the wall and he said "I wrote it too big".
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/02/game-of-thrones-preview/

He probably thought 700 feet would look like 300 or 400, which is still pretty ridiculous for a sheer wall of magic ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Just to put it in perspective. The Wildlings were firing arrows, THIS HIGH;

It's pretty funny that GURM based the wall on Hadrian's Wall, something you can step over in some parts.