Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am checking out Miranda's group called...*sigh*...Bizzare Anthros...and for the most part it's about what you'd expect. Miranda shows off her preggo psychocoasters, there's some quasi-but-totally-not-furry art by the co-founder and so on.

But there are a few people who actually have some cool poo poo:

This dude makes a whole bunch of awesome monster drawings that wouldn't be out of place in Guild Wars 2 concept art. It helps that they are being, you know, monsters and not sexualized demihumans.

Another dude has a car jaguar,

which while not his best work, led me to find his gallery that has this:

Look at that. It's a loving orca fused with a fighter jet. That's awesome. I love it.
The dude does have his own MY OCC HEADFICTIONS, but he has the talent to back it up. His pictures of spaceships are way cool too.

Yet another dude does these cute drawings of objects, like this:

This one is called Forever Remember Us. Yeah :smith:

Anyway, I don't have to tell you that Miranda's group is :nws: and otherwise pretty much poo poo, right?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 22 – Origin

quote:

The day faded into night as the blue sky turned black. We had made a lot of progress today; Thunderbark said we should arrive by morning. Clare’s absence left me with a feeling that there was something missing.

“A place from the most imaginative mind” has the same day-night cycle as “the real world”.

A world with “technology that is far more advanced than any humans” apparently has no teleportation chambers, no flying vehicles, and no mass transportation systems.

quote:

And I couldn’t bare [sic] it. Along with that I still did not know the most important things about me, this world, and others; information that I seeked [sic] terribly.

We all sat around in an awkward silence at our campfire. Nobody said a single word. It was Static who finally spoke.

“Merrylegs and I could get more wood, we are kind of running low on it.” He said getting up. Merrylegs followed him into the forest, now it was just me and Thunderbark. I looked into the fire, watching its flames lick the air, spitting out sparks. I then glanced at Thunderbark, now would be the time to ask him.

Roller-coasters with “sight of a dragon” and with the power to “bend fire” need to build and maintain campfires.

A world with “technology that is far more advanced than any humans” burns wood for said campfires. Where are the capsules that turn into a house? Dragonball had those and it was first published in the 1980s.

quote:

“Thunderbark?” I said quietly.

“Yes, Railrunner?”

“I want to ask you something - something that Moonhoof brought up.”

“What might that be?” He beamed warmly.

“Moonhoof told me where the residents here come from, but she said I came from a different source. She said you might know.”

Thunderbark looked at me, his light eyes simply stared into mine. His mouth remained in a firm grim line as Thunderbark sat there like a statue.

He then sighed and gave in. Obviously disclosing a subject that he did not feel comfortable speaking about.

Again with the sighing. Stop sighing! Stop it stop it stop it!

quote:

“Most everyone thinks that the red was a science experiment. A super coaster in other words. Alas that is wrong. Others say the red is a god made from the blood of dead coasters. That is wrong, too. Moonhoof is right, only a roller coaster knows where the red comes from.”

“Where?” I asked so quietly that not even the creatures of the night could hear.

Railrunner certainly has spilled more than enough blood in his brief time as a were-roller-coaster.

quote:

+ + +

Back in the real world, Clare sat in a dark room lit with a single light. She nervously twiddled her thumbs on the table. Clare was at a police interview, and she prepared for Captain Vick; collecting up her loose words and thinking of what to say.

The city had been on high alert for the past two days. Squad teams and even the army patrolled the streets like predators looking for prey.

The only “predator” in this situation is Railrunner. Literally every single casualty in the book has been of his making or that of his murderous posse.

quote:

She knew that the FBI wanted more. They were going to ask her of Railrunner’s whereabouts, any information they could squeeze out of her.

Stop making yourself out to be the victim here! Your boyfriend is literally a remorseless sociopathic mass murderer, for chrissakes! They have every right to question you (with whom he was last seen) on his whereabouts!

quote:

Then the door creaked open and the Captain invited himself in.

“Evening Miss Clare.” He said grinning and sitting down. She only looked and didn’t reply. He placed a box of donuts on the table. Clare’s face turned red in vexation.

“Are you going to pull the good cop bad cop card?” she said disgusted.

Clare is the one that’s disgustingly empty of any moral compass whatsoever.

quote:

The Captain narrowed his eyes. Then he went on with what he was doing.

“Mam, you seem to know the most information about the roller coaster. In fact, last time you didn’t mention some of it. For example - it was your boyfriend!” he finished in an uproar.

Yes, charge her with concealment of evidence and interference with the course of justice! Throw the book at her and put her in jail for a good long time!

quote:

Clare gulped in response.

“Clare, can you explain his motive. Explain why he killed all those people.” He said looking into her eyes.

She hesitated. Clare’s heart rate went up.

“Answer me!” he yelled at her.

“It wasn’t his fault!” She screamed back in his face.

Captain Vick slammed his fist on the table.

“What do you mean it wasn’t his fault!” he said frustrated.

“He had no control!” she winced. Then she repeated her words.

“Why?” he demanded.

“He told me he did not have control until the first full moon. When he is in control, he wouldn’t hurt anyone!”

List of damage caused by Railrunner since he "gained control" in Chapter 11

Chapter 11
16. Cold-bloodedly murdered a gang of thugs who had accosted Clare but who had swiftly surrendered after seeing Railrunner's were-roller-coaster form
17. Attacked a pair of police officers who had come in response to a report of armed robbery in the area
18. Pushed large trucks out of his way while chasing the abovementioned police officers on the road, presumably causing multiple vehicle collisions

Chapter 13
19. Killed a police officer by biting him in the neck
20. Killed another police officer by deflecting a bullet back into the police officer
21. Caused mass destruction to a group of police officers by firing a “concussion beam”
22. Flattened some more police officers by “flipping their cruisers” and crushing them underneath

Chapter 15
23. Cruelly destroyed a mouse by manipulating the metal in its blood
24. Inflicted a minor injury on Detective Black
25. Slammed a few police offices on to a wall
26. Smashed a few more police officers with his tail
27. Knocked out a police officer by popping open his restraint
28. Attempted to crush a FBI captain by throwing a police car at him

Chapter 16
29. Broke into a museum and stole a piece of jewellery known as the Augu Ra

Chapter 18
31. Destroyed a ferris wheel by climbing onto and then jumping off it with all of twenty thousand pounds of weight
32. Threw an armored truck at a group of police officers, hitting “several squad cars and policemen”
33. Broke off a light post and used it as a bat, breaking bones and smashing cars
36. Disintegrated a row of police officers with his McGuffin

Chapter 20
38. Killed and ate a fish

quote:

The Captain was silent. He then started again with a question that only made Clare’s heart beat faster.

“What else did he tell you?”

“Railrunner didn’t tell me anything else!”

“So - the coaster has a name.” Vick said rubbing his prickly chin.

Clare gasped and put her hand over her mouth.

“I’m not as stupid as I look mam; I thought you would know more.”

Clare simply looked at him in horror.

“Where is he Clare?”

“I don’t know.”

“You know!”

“I don’t!” she cried.

“Tell me!”

“What is the point! No one can reach it!”

“What is it!”

“Another universe!”

“Space?”

“No! It is a world that is only accessible by those who are of its blood!” she screamed.

The captain got in her face and sighed.

“What is this place called Miss Clare?”

She swallowed and wiped away her tears.

“ Railrunner calls it Hell.”

That much is true – any place containing Railrunner is indeed a hellish place.

quote:

+ + +

“What is it Thunderbark?” I demanded.

He let out a long tired sigh. His icy eyes went from the mesmerizing flames back to me again.

AARRGGGHHHH STOP SIGHING! :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

quote:

“Railrunner, the red is the only ride that is born, not from magic, but of a womb.” He finished. I however continued to stare bluntly at him.

“That has got to be the stupidest poo poo you have said to me since we got here! I mean, how in the hell is that possible!” I laughed.

I am in total agreement with Railrunner on this point.

quote:

Thunderbark snorted in disgust and looked at me then continued.

“Here anything can defy logic and explanation.” He grumbled under his breath.

In this book, everything defies logic and explanation.

quote:

“How does it happen then?” I asked almost wanting to snicker, even though Thunderbark was probably telling the truth. What the white coaster said was so bizarre that it was hard to believe.

“I [/sic] goes like this, after a red dies; a few years later a female coaster is selected. She is chosen because she is the purest and has the nicest heart towards others. Amusement Park Between summons her to the Temple of The Red. The whole time she is in a trance and doesn’t have a clue what goes on or happens. Some spirit thing occurs, but I [sic] not entirely sure on that one.”

This is creepy and rapetastic as hell. :stare: :gonk: The one saving grace in this book was that it was free of rape, and now even that has been taken away.

quote:

“Next morning she returns home with amnesia. Then its twelve months of patience, after that the red is born and all hell breaks lose.” Thunderbark finished.

“What happens next?”

“The red is sought after to be killed by the Fallen or an evil sort. That is the reason why I and my troupe had to take you to the real world, so you wouldn’t die.”

“Bizarre, interesting, yet weird as all get out.” I replied. Then another thought crossed my mind. “Thunderbark, who was my mother?”

He sighed again and poked a stick into the fire. He seemed to be thinking, trying to recall who she was.

STOP SIGHING FOR FUCKS SAKE STOP SIGHING STOP SIGHING STOP STOP STOP

for the love of god just stop

quote:

“Railrunner, I believe your mother’s name was Angeltrack.” Suddenly Thunderbark’s eyebrows raised in shock he straitened [sic] up and gulped. “My god, now I remember -.”

“What?”

“I remember when I found you; I remember your mother’s death.”

What the gently caress is this bullshit. How do you just suddenly “now I remember” major events like this. Come on.

quote:

I looked into the fire and thought deeply to myself. This was something I wanted to know, but yet did not. However, my thoughts pushed me.

In a book full of banal and inane bullshit, the above passage takes the prize for banality and inanity.

quote:

“What happened, Thunderbark?” I said with my tone just above a whisper.

“Well - here it goes. I was hunting alone in the forbidden forest, hence the name;”

How does “I was hunting alone in the forbidden forest” explain the name of said forest (which isn’t even capitalized)? I’d really like to understand what was the leap of logic that led to this sentence.

quote:

“I was minding my own business when a roller coaster ran past me. As I peered down from the tree, I noticed she had a bundle in her mouth. I decided to watch her every move, because I sensed trouble. She suddenly hid her bundle in the crevice of a large boulder; after that she took off. The next second I found out why she was running.”

“Why?” I asked wanting to know more.

“Freakshow. She was after Angeltrack, chasing her with claws extended and fangs barred. I got down from my perch to assist, but the second I touched the ground; I witnessed the most bloodcurdling screech I had ever heard. From that very moment I knew I was too late, Angeltrack had been murdered in cold blood. I remember Freakshow’s maniacal laughter as she left.”

That’s a rather detailed and fleshed-out description of an event which was “now I remember”ed.

quote:

“What happened next?” I asked concerned.

“I remembered the bundle she hid in the rock. I went to investigate, and found you. That was when I knew Ironwheel was after the red, and I knew I had to help. So I gathered Merrylegs and Static for assistance. We decided you would be safe in the real world.”

“Ok, but how did I end up alone?”

“Well, we decided you should be with humans, to be raised as a changeling. It was for the better, because we wanted you to know their background and deal with them, learn their lifestyles, and culture.”

“… deal with them, learn their lifestyles, and culture... and brutally murder them.”

Also, how did such a blundering group of moronic murder-scumbags muster the resources and skill to forge birth documentation and slip him into a cradle or hospital cot?

And what happened to the original human baby whom they took out to put in Railrunner? This goes onto your litany of crimes, you disgusting baby-killers. :argh:

quote:

“ That way you would seem normal to society and nothing would look equivocal [sic]. We secretly watched you over the years, but when you were adopted we lost track. Finally we found your whereabouts just in time, when Amusement Park Between was being tortured by Ironwheel.”

If Railrunner (currently human age 38, according to the character bio written by Miranda Leek) was “adopted”, it must have been at a fairly early age, certainly no earlier than 18. This means that Railrunner’s posse of baby-killers both “watched him over the years” and “lost track” of him for more than 20 years, at the same time.

quote:

“That’s why you put the ad in the paper.”

“Correct, because we knew you couldn’t resist.”

I chuckled at that one, but I still had another question for Thunderbark.

“Who is Freakshow?”

“Who is she?” he said looking at me sternly.

“Yes.”

“Freakshow is one of the Fallens; in fact she is the general of Ironwheel’s main army. She is sly and stubborn, and has one of the worst reputations in all our land. She was put together out of scrap parts of other roller coasters, some of steel coasters and some parts of wood, just for kicks. Humans tortured her mercilessly; finally they destroyed her. And when she entered Amusement Park Between, she hated them and all of their kind.”

“Hmm, what does she look like?”

“None of her cars match, none of her wheels do, and she has one blue eye and one green.”

“All right. I have one final question, what is Ironwheel’s motive?” I asked, my question only making Thunderbark swallow apprehensively.

“Ironwheel has the deepest hatred for humans, even more than Freakshow’s. He wants to gather his armies and get his revenge on the humans. He wants to rule Amusement Park Between and make every ride and man his slaves!”

I nodded and stood up, Thunderbark watching me eagerly.

“I want revenge and justice. I want to kill Freakshow, because she murdered my mother and probably countless others. Most of all, I want Ironwheel dead! I want to burry [sic] him in his grave! I want to make him pay!”

Said the murderer of countless civilians who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and even more police officers who were bravely doing their duty to defend the public.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 3, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Oh boy, the biggest plot twist so far, and finally gives me a reason to post this. This was the first :science: I made with regards of Twisted!

So then, earlier I posted about the second red roller coaster, guy named Firetrack who died in 1932 which coincides with the fall of amusement parks during the great depression. On the other end, Railrunner is the tenth roller coaster, born 1972. I'm mentioning which red he is because I can't remember if that comes up in the book or not.

There is also one other thing that I believe isn't mentioned in the book, how long it takes a red roller coaster to mature. According to this (pretty safe), it takes two years to reach adulthood. Why Rodney didn't become adult human at the age of 2 I don't know.

And the pregnancy lasts one year.

So from the death of a red to the maturation of one takes at least three years.

And here is where the math comes in. From between Firetrack's death in 1932 and Railrunner's birth in 1972 there were seven red roller coasters.

In a span of forty years.

So that means that on average each red roller coaster was conceived by magic, raised up and died on the average of 5 years and 8-9 months. Three of which were spent maturing, and that's assuming the moment a red roller coaster dies the next one is conceived. So each red roller coaster has 2 years and 8-9 months making their mark.

Actually that's not so, because Moonblood, the ninth roller coaster died ten years before Railrunner was born.

So the actual span of seven red roller coasters was 31 years.

So the average adult life span of those seven red roller coaster was 1 year and 5-6 months.

It will be showed in the book soon enough that each red roller coaster managed to make his/her mark on history, despite their short life span.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iced Cocoa posted:

It will be showed in the book soon enough that each red roller coaster managed to make his/her mark on history, despite their short life span.

Each of them made his or her mark on history by murdering as many innocents as possible, I presume.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would be amazing if the dictator turns out to be a dictator by virtue of trying to get rid of the red coasters. Bonus points if the dictator cooperates with "real world" authorities in order to make sure that a maniacal murderer gets brought to justice.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Oh dear lord, he was raised as a changeling? That means he wasn't "adopted" as such, but instead Ironbark stole a human baby out of his crib and replaced him with Railrunner. I imagine it's too much to ask that the real Rodney was taken to be raised in the Amusement Park Between? Or was he sacrificed to the despot to throw him off the scent? Chalk another one up to Ironbark's tally, I suppose.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

And it goes on for 40 more chapters? :psyduck:

:psyduck:

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

“… deal with them, learn their lifestyles, and culture... and brutally murder them.”

Also, how did such a blundering group of moronic murder-scumbags muster the resources and skill to forge birth documentation and slip him into a cradle or hospital cot?

And what happened to the original human baby whom they took out to put in Railrunner? This goes onto your litany of crimes, you disgusting baby-killers. :argh:

If Railrunner (currently human age 38, according to the character bio written by Miranda Leek) was “adopted”, it must have been at a fairly early age, certainly no earlier than 18. This means that Railrunner’s posse of baby-killers both “watched him over the years” and “lost track” of him for more than 20 years, at the same time.

I can totally see the changeling angle, and when the parents freaked that they didn't have the same baby I can see Thunderbark murdering them because othervise they would have revealed everything. That's how he's both a changeling and a orphan.

However there is one goddamn thing that has always bugged me. That damned necklace. How the hell did it end up lost in the human world? Ironwheel killed the last red, and should have gotten the necklace. If he ended up in the human world he would have made human his slaves or whatever as Thunderbark said, so he can't have lost the necklace there. Of course, there's the element of magic so the necklace might have ended up with Railrunner when he was, ugh, born, no matter where it was previously.

And then Thunderbark takes Railrunner to the human world, and loses the necklace when in the human world. Given how drat powerful that bloody necklace is, how the hell did he manage to lose it? How would he manage to lose track of Rodney/Railrunner?

Dreggon posted:

And it goes on for 40 more chapters? :psyduck:

:psyduck:

I have to say I was kind of toying with the idea of writing a list of 20-25 things that would happen in the novel, with only five of them true. However I can't really think of much else as ridiculous as what's coming up in the story, nor can I think of stuff that happens in the story that's not obvious when you read it. Very few novels can be predictable but at the same time bring whatever plot twists that come their way without any care at all.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Iced Cocoa posted:

However I can't really think of much else as ridiculous as what's coming up in the story

This sounds like a challenge. So lets all list our top 5 things we think couldn't possibly happen in the story.

1. Railrunner uses his iron-bending to create rails out of trace amounts of metal in the environment for himself to run on a-la Ice Man
2. The source of the amusement park rides' powers is revealed to be nanomachines.
3. Vampires
4. Railrunner fights with another amusement park ride, gets struck by lightning and is 'powered up' by it.
5. Coaster-rape

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Phummus posted:

This sounds like a challenge. So lets all list our top 5 things we think couldn't possibly happen in the story.

"Couldn't possibly happen," you say?

1. Detective Black rides into coaster world on a ferris wheel to save the day.
2. Rodney genuinely admits that killing police officers is wrong.
3. Ironbark neither dies, becomes too injured to finish the climactic fight, nor turns traitor by the end of the story.
4. The Last Starfighter swoops in and presses the turbo spinny button to wipe out everything present.
5. Ironwheel is revealed to literally be Darth Vader.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Oh dear lord, he was raised as a changeling? That means he wasn't "adopted" as such, but instead Ironbark stole a human baby out of his crib and replaced him with Railrunner. I imagine it's too much to ask that the real Rodney was taken to be raised in the Amusement Park Between? Or was he sacrificed to the despot to throw him off the scent? Chalk another one up to Ironbark's tally, I suppose.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I can totally see the changeling angle, and when the parents freaked that they didn't have the same baby I can see Thunderbark murdering them because othervise they would have revealed everything. That's how he's both a changeling and a orphan.

I think it's more likely that Miranda just doesn't know what the hell a changeling is and assumed it just meant "any non-human raised as a human." Of course, I wouldn't put it past her to have the heroes cheerfully abduct a baby and throw it off a cliff or whatever as long as it benefited Rodney, given the entire rest of the novel.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No! Just...buh...WHY?!

Why a campfire?! Don't you have money for a hotel?
How did humans "torture" Freakshow?
If all hell breaks loose when a red is born, why the gently caress do you people keep making them? Besides 'the plot says so', please.
So "a spirit thing" happens? What does this mean? Divine immaculate conception? Are we seriously going to do loving Jesus parallels here? Or is this just Miranda's way to enjoy the idea of pregnancy without the whole 'sex' thing?
WHAT DID IRONWHEEL DO!? WHY IS HE EVIL!? WHY DO WE, THE AUDIENCE, WANT HIS DEMISE!? You all clearly don't give a poo poo about humans so why the gently caress do you care what he does to the human world?
Why is everyone in this novel, beside the side characters, such unlikable cunts?

At least the RPG-wielding FBI Captain got out alive :unsmith:

quote:

“That has got to be the stupidest poo poo you have said to me since we got here! I mean, how in the hell is that possible!” I laughed.

And now this book is trying to be meta. Great.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Phummus posted:

Top 5 things we think couldn't possibly happen in the story.

I want more of these. They're immensely amusing and perhaps later I can count how many do not occur, how many kind of come up, how many actually come up. And perhaps few other amusing categories.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

quote:

Actually that's not so, because Moonblood, the ninth roller coaster died ten years before Railrunner was born.
Other red coasters were named Aunt Flo, The Red Knight Who Is Requesting Lodging, Communist Invasion, Shark Week and Riding the Red Rollercoaster.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

attackbunny posted:

Other red coasters were named Aunt Flo, The Red Knight Who Is Requesting Lodging, Communist Invasion, Shark Week and Riding the Red Rollercoaster.

Thanks for reminding me. Only three Reds have been named, the last one is Redrail, who will be mentioned in the book later.

However, Moonblood is a very bad name for a roller coaster. Or at least if Miranda had any sense of creating lore and myth in her own imaginary world.

quote:

In Vertigo, Railrunner has to defeat a new and even more powerful enemy, Darkrail, Amusement Park Between's Spirit of Death who returns every blood moon until a red can stop him.

"You know what, I just birthed a red and I'm going to name him after an event that brings forth the devil who killed the greatest red there was. This is a great idea!" :downs:

And also, there have been 13 total lunar eclipses since the turn of the century.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 3, 2013

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

SSNeoman posted:

How did humans "torture" Freakshow?
[...]
WHAT DID IRONWHEEL DO!? WHY IS HE EVIL!?

Well, to be fair to this, and to this only: all rides from the human world become living rides in Between once they are "retired" in some manner. Those that were vandalized, damaged, poorly maintained, etc., become "Fallen", instead of taking on a normal life in Between. Fallen are inherently evil by the nature of their spawning. Basically, Freakshow was probably smashed up bad while a ride in the human world, and Ironwheel was probably subjected to that rolling Ferris Wheel thing you see happen in movies occasionally. Thus, they are inherently evil once on the other side.

Well, that's my "defending indefensible drek" quota filled for the year.

...Ironwheel is a Ferris Wheel, right? I don't feel like going back and checking, not after mustering that defense.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Oblivion4568238 posted:

...Ironwheel is a Ferris Wheel, right? I don't feel like going back and checking, not after mustering that defense.
Ironwheel is going to be a roller coaster, clearly! I mean, come on, this is Miranda we're talking about here.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hold up a second here. If red coasters are the only ones born, and they're born without a father, what's going on in all those horrible pictures Leek drew of a pregnant coaster and a male coaster?

Please don't tell me Railrunner also gets the magically ability to not have to be dead before reproducing.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Radio! posted:

Hold up a second here. If red coasters are the only ones born, and they're born without a father, what's going on in all those horrible pictures Leek drew of a pregnant coaster and a male coaster?

Please don't tell me Railrunner also gets the magically ability to not have to be dead before reproducing.

Eh, it's not much of a spoiler, but any pictures of pregnant coaster is a picture of Angeltrack, Railrunner's mother.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iced Cocoa posted:

Eh, it's not much of a spoiler, but any pictures of pregnant coaster is a picture of Angeltrack, Railrunner's mother.

Still doesn't explain the male coaster, though, if the previous Red has to die before the next Red is born.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Still doesn't explain the male coaster, though, if the previous Red has to die before the next Red is born.

He's probably like Joseph in the New Testament - husband to the holy mother, but not actually the father of the saviour.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Phummus posted:

1. Clare becomes Shadowtrack (Please christ loving no)
2. Detective Black returns (Please christ loving yes)
3. The Wizard of Yendor Rodney actually uses the powers he got in previous chapters to defeat Ironwheel
4. Ironwheel is actually just a giant wheel
5. Rodney dies

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

FFFfffffff

Reading all the contradictions and the powers and the bullshit it's making me feel helplessly frustrated.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Phummus posted:

1) Railrunner loses. As ironwheel begins his assault on mankind, a new era of global war and turmoil begins. Country after country falls to his mary-sue-like power, until none remain to oppose him. None, that is, except a small band of rebels, led by a certain detective...

2) It turns out the true villain isn't Ironwheel after all. The historians of the Carnival had always wondered: ages ago, their society lived without the technology they take for granted today. No anti-grav (drink) coasters. Then, one day, according to the texts, all the coasters just... Appeared. And no one questioned it; who would, they seemed harmless enough. Little did they know...

3) Railrunner falls in love with a ride that isn't the same species as he.

4) Everything after the jail cell is all a delusion in Railrunner's mind; after getting netted by Detective black, he gradually began to lose energy. Without any rides or carnivals to recharge with, he became helpless and weak in his cell; his sanity slowly slipping away from him. None of the police offers know how to help, nor do they dare; Railrunners insane ramblings often made mention of slaughter and bloodshed. Once, he stared at detective Black, holding out a "hand", and suddenly broke into laughter, screaming "I did it, Thunderbark! I did it!" Right before his death, Railrunner regains a fragment of his sanity, and comes to realize this terrible reality...

(I gotta go to work so no fifth for now, sorry)

crime weed fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit =/= Quote

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Phummus posted:

Okay, hm. I think Dreggon's list got potential. With a few edits . . .

quote:

1. Detective Black becomes Shadowtrack
2. Mr. Calloway returns
3. The Wizard of Yendor Rodney actually uses the powers he got in previous chapters to defeat Ironwheel
4. Ironwheel is actually just a giant wheel
5. Rodney dies

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh my, I've been abandoning this thread way too much. I hardly worked on my next :spergin::science:, and I haven't read the last 5 fanfics or so. drat you, Prison Architect!

Anyway, during that "fight scene" with the go-kart, I can't imagine anything aside from this playing in the background.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Because I forgot to, here is the colored illustration from "that" chapter.

And here's the image from one of the future chapters. Just so you can see Freakshow in all her glory. It's worth to note she has only been illustrated twice. Also, it is worth to note that Ironwheel has never been illustrated.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Iced Cocoa posted:

Because I forgot to, here is the colored illustration from "that" chapter.

And here's the image from one of the future chapters. Just so you can see Freakshow in all her glory. It's worth to note she has only been illustrated twice. Also, it is worth to note that Ironwheel has never been illustrated.

The second edition still won't have a picture of Ironwheel, but there'll be 12 pages full of pregnant Angeltrack.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Aww, I was really hoping it would be a patchwork monstrosity of a bunch of different rides.

Also, why is it in a wooden boat? What is with the whole "high-tech society" deal, seriously.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Iced Cocoa posted:

:stare: Well, I was going to have "The Rollercoasters are also pirates" on my list of things too stupid to happen in this book but I guess all bets are off...

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Kjoery posted:

2) It turns out the true villain isn't Ironwheel after all. The historians of the Carnival had always wondered: ages ago, their society lived without the technology they take for granted today. No anti-grav (drink) coasters. Then, one day, according to the texts, all the coasters just... Appeared. And no one questioned it; who would, they seemed harmless enough. Little did they know...

This would be the best, a kind of I Am Legend ending where Railrunner is the real villain. Hell, throw in a little Fight Club -- Rodney could be Ironwheel as well.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The only revelation we'll be having is that Static and Merrylegs turn out to be more useless than we already are assuming.

By the way, I've been meaning to say that for a while now, but if the Great Depression in the 1930s caused many rides to be either decommissioned or dismantled, wouldn't that mean the 1930s were more or less the magic equivalent of a babyboom for Amusement Park Between? It might be a bad thing for the rides in the real life, but in Amusement Park, you'd have a shitton of new rides, mostly Fallen Ones.

Also, how can Amusement Park Between have such a rich history and advanced technology when there couldn't have been any rides before the 18th centuries? And if park rides get their own magic world, do other things too? Is there an Automobile Limbo? A Kitchen Utensil Nirvana? A Mobile Phone Void? A Firearm Afterlife?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

The only revelation we'll be having is that Static and Merrylegs turn out to be more useless than we already are assuming.

By the way, I've been meaning to say that for a while now, but if the Great Depression in the 1930s caused many rides to be either decommissioned or dismantled, wouldn't that mean the 1930s were more or less the magic equivalent of a babyboom for Amusement Park Between? It might be a bad thing for the rides in the real life, but in Amusement Park, you'd have a shitton of new rides, mostly Fallen Ones.

Also, how can Amusement Park Between have such a rich history and advanced technology when there couldn't have been any rides before the 18th centuries? And if park rides get their own magic world, do other things too? Is there an Automobile Limbo? A Kitchen Utensil Nirvana? A Mobile Phone Void? A Firearm Afterlife?

I'm not gonna lie, I'd read a book where the main character was an anthropomorphic Kalashnikov trying to save Gun Heaven from the evil Bullpups or whatever.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I'd read a book where the main character was an anthropomorphic Kalashnikov trying to save Gun Heaven from the evil Bullpups or whatever.

From the DeviantART thread:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Finally, a machine I can use to literally shoot myself in the foot!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Abundant Atrophy posted:

From the DeviantART thread:

To be fair, I was contemplating over linking to that post of mine.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 23 - Temple of The Red

quote:

The following morning was peaceful and just.

So long as Railrunner and his gang of murderers are at liberty, there’s no justice in the “real world” or in Amusement Park Between.

quote:

The strange birds sang their songs and the vegetation’s dew sparkled in the soft rays of the sun.

Go on, let us have some descriptions of those “strange birds” to show what an “imaginative” world this is.

quote:

All of us were currently walking along a heavily wooded path that looked as if it had not been used in quite some time. Thunderbark led and Merrylegs followed close behind him. Static and I brought up the rear. “What were you and Thunderbark talking about last night?” He said suddenly. “I could hear you both speaking, but I couldn’t make out any words.”

“Shouldn’t you be minding your own business instead of listening in on others?” I said in reply somewhat angry that he was poking his nose into things he shouldn’t.

He’s not listening in, you and Thunderbark were just talking too loud. Somehow, in a book where every single amusement park ride character is an unlikable rear end in a top hat, Railrunner maintains the distinction of being the most consistently unlikable of them all.

quote:

“Sorry,” he replied sounding ashamed.

“Well, he was only talking about information on Amusement Park Between.” I lied.

“Like where things come from? For example, how the regular multicolored animals or stuffed toys won at fairs that nobody wants?”

We didn’t see any of those things in the “city” of Trenzon. I’d bet this is never brought up again and we never actually see any stuffed toy characters in the rest of the book.

quote:

“Yeah, stuff like that, Static.”

“Sorry again to bother you.” Static said abashed.

“Your [sic] fine.” I replied. Then I smelled something, it was bland yet sweet.

“You smell that, Railrunner?” Thunderbark called from ahead.

“Yes.” I yelled back to him.

“Its water, we must be getting nearer to the Acterbahnn River. That means we are close.”

Is water supposed to smell “sweet”? I… I just don’t know any more.

quote:

Thunderbark’s words made my heart beat faster. I was about to see something that apparently has been unseen for years. A place that possessed my heritage and history. A place that was mine. A haven that I was to inherit like the others before me.

Railrunner gets another unearned McGuffin and we are supposed to feel happy for him because

quote:

The vegetation became less dense as we walked. My anticipation rose higher as we proceeded forward. Then we exited the forest into a beautiful clearing; a glittering river cut through the land like a knife. Thunderbark walked to the edge of the Achterbahnn , and then he looked at the large island in the middle of it.

“Come on,” he said as he began to walk along the bank; His [spelled with a capital H] eyes still on the island that stretched for miles.

“Didn’t Moonhoof say the entrance was under the great yinkan at the river’s edge?” I asked following him.

Is “yinkan” the name of a real tree, or something made up by Miranda Leek? I tried Googling but there were no results of “yinkan”.

quote:

“Aye, she did. When you see it, notify me.”

I nodded in reply as I scanned the island with him. I glanced at the murky water, nothing was visible. Suddenly I saw a collection of great limbs stretching above the river.

Make up your mind. Is the river “glittering” or “murky”?

quote:

“There it is!” Thunderbark announced exultantly.

“The entrance?”

“Yes! Now, everyone stay here, I will dive down and see how far we have to swim.”

“Good idea.” Merrylegs agreed.

I watched Thunderbark breath in and out deeply, concentrating each one. Then he jumped bravely into the water, disappearing underneath the crystal surface.

Where I come from, there are no “murky” crystals. Perhaps things are different in Miranda Leek’s part of the world.

quote:

Minute by minute ticked by, still there was no sign of his white head bobbing above the water. I prepared to go in after him, but finally he surfaced.

“Yes! Found it! It’s a long way down and out I’ll tell you that! Put it this way, try as hard as you can to hold your breath for over ten minutes.” He said as he climbed onto the bank, breathing hard.

“Ten minutes!” Static exclaimed. “I can’t hold my breath that long!”

“Me neither,” Merrylegs hastily pointed out.

The god-drat Mary Sue roller-coasters can hold their breath for 30 minutes. Look at how wonderful and superior they are!

quote:

“Good thing I thought ahead when we visited Trenzon. Merrylegs and Static, I picked up you both some air candy.” Thunderbark laughed as he pulled out a regular bag of cotton candy.

“What is that supposed to do?” I asked.

“It can allow anyone to conceal their breath for fifteen minutes.”

“Hold their breath” =/= “Conceal their breath”

quote:

“That’s just ordinary cotton candy isn’t it?”

“Nope, it is our version, Railrunner.” He finished watching Static and Merrylegs consume the desirable treat.

Why does the “technology that is far more advanced than any humans” in Amusement Park Between always turn out to be D&D magic items? First a Floating Disk, and now a Potion Cotton Candy of Water Breathing.

quote:

When they were done, the two climbed onto Thunderbark’s back. He told me to follow him closely, he then took a deep breath and jumped into the river, and I dove after them. I opened my eyes in the water after I was under its roaring surface.

Thunderbark was gaining ground; I sped after him so I wasn’t to be left behind. The Acterbahnn’s current was strong; I fought through it, swimming surprisingly swiftly.

Thunderbark motioned for the bottom of the river; here the current was not as strong. Still however, Merrylegs and Static had their tails wrapped around his lap bar clinging for dear life. As we continued to navigate through the giant rocks at the river’s floor; bizarre multi-colored fish swam out of our wake, even brightly colored dolphins and seals moved aside. But there was no time to gander.

Literally the same fauna as “the real world” with a palette swap. That’s how “imaginative” Amusement Park Between is.

quote:

Thunderbark entered a dark tunnel with me following closely, fearing that the tunnel could suddenly fork and I would lose him.

Again Thunderbark displays the same “Leave Railrunner to flop and flounder” mentality as in Trenzon, and now Railrunner is starting to become aware of it. Perhaps they might even turn on each other before the end of the book. :unsmith:

quote:

The tunnel went on and on, seeming like an eternity. My lugs [sic] started to ache terribly, feeling like they were being compressed together by a ludicrous force. How much further away was the surface! I thought tensely. Then the tunnel got lighter and lighter, a wave of relief fell over me. Finally! With a quick burst of speed, Thunderbark surfaced, seconds later I appeared beside him gasping
for air.

“I take it you didn’t get a good breather before you hit the water.” He chuckled, giving me a sly grin.

“Well, I tried to hurry.” I replied.

“Railrunner,” he sighed. “You must learn to make good decisions! Instead of the many stupid ones - like the carnival.”

I think I’ve exhausted my fury by now. I won’t even highlight the amount of inappropriate sighing they do from now on.

quote:

“Point taken, Thunderbark.” I said in a melancholy tone.

“Good, now we just have to walk to the end of this cave and we should enter the temple.”

“Yes,” Merrylegs sighed to herself.

“Had enough?” Static asked her.

“For the moment.” She replied, trying to rid the water from her mane.

We walked along the dusty floor. It was clear that nobody had been here, the temple had, after all, had been undisturbed for several decades.

Water dripped from the old rocks and small cave creatures rustled in the shadows. We then reached the end of the tunnel, there stood a great golden door that had tarnished from time. It looked like a giant coaster wheel, but around the edges was a language that I had not seen since we arrived in Amusement Park Between.

“Any idea what it says, Thunderbark?” I asked the white coaster.

“Not a clue, I’ve never seen that language before.”

“drat.”I replied.

“Railrunner!” he scolded.

“Sorry, geez -.”

So the mildest form of swearing is inappropriate, but indiscriminate murder is perfectly A-Okay. Got it.

quote:

I put my attention back on the door, suddenly the letters seemed more familiar, and then I remembered the key in the back of the Veradagashi. It must be a language that only a red would know. I studied the words more, one by one their meanings popped out at me. Maybe it was a command that could open the door.

“Herbracador vershila merkommen macmarr ransullen.” I hissed. The door let out a loud moan, and then from the left side of the wheel, a miniature gold coaster train rolled out; making a circulatory path around the door. As it passed a spoke in the wheel, the spoke pulled toward the center. Finally the small coaster disappeared where it had started and all the spokes were pulled into the center. Then the door slowly swung open.

There is nothing which the addition of roller-coasters do not make dumber.

quote:

“Nice work.” Thunderbark complemented [sic].

“Thank you.” I replied watching in amazement. Finally, the Temple of the Red…

My eyes began to adjust to the changing light, getting them into focus. I felt my jaw slightly drop at the sight before me. The telltale pair of Bast welcomed all who entered, only that they stood several feet taller then the ones in Trenzon and were solid gold. The temple was illuminated with giant lustrous crystals that grew from both the ceiling and the floor. The temple “dwellings” looked like they were out of Eldarado [sic]; the same tarnished gold as the door. They were large and grander than even the castles back in the real world. It was like a giant palace of gold, something that King Midas would be fanatical for. The landscape was like a rainforest as like Amusement Park Between, but more beautiful. Light pools of blue glistened like diamonds from the light, waterfalls fell continually. Grand statues of roller coasters stood untouched by time.

“Wow, it’s beautiful,” Merrylegs commented.

“It’s like a world within another,” Static said in awe.

“A place from the most imaginative mind” places the same importance and value on grandeur and size, and has the same hierarchy of precious metals, as “the real world”.

quote:

“This is Amusement Park Between’s most sacred spot, of coarse [sic] it is amazing.” Thunderbark corrected them.

He then walked up beside me smiling. “What do you think?” he asked me.

“Holy poo poo, it’s cool.”

“Railrunner, what did I tell you about cursing?”

“Give me a break; I’ve been living in the real world for thirty-six years.” I laughed.

Merrylegs and Static ventured forward into the temples lush landscape.

Thunderbark and I decided to tour the inside of the temple. We walked up about thirty stairs or so into the temple’s actual entrance. It was dark and I couldn’t see but three feet in front of my nose.

Now you can’t see in the dark?

What happened to “sight like a dragon”?

What happened to ““I slowly made my way toward the opening of the garage. Along the way I passed a light switch, I’d be better off in the dark than him. I switched it, my eyes automatically adjusted to the change of light” in Chapter 15?

quote:

Thunderbark felt the side of the wall, and then out of a dark crevice he pulled out a torch. He then held out his “hand” and pulled his wheels apart. A small flame aroused [sic] from his fist and traveled to the top of the lantern, lighting both it and the hallway. He looked at me and smiled.

That is a typo, right? Please say it’s a typo. :gonk:

Also, a world with “technology that is far more advanced than any humans” doesn’t have electric lighting.

Also also: “Torch” =/= “Lantern”.

quote:

“How did –.”

“I’ll teach you later.” Thunderbark spoke as he led the way.

We continued to walk through the temples halls, artifacts were everywhere and large rooms like an England palace presented themselves to us. The whole time Thunderbark behaved different, he would glance at me every so often with a grim look. Could he be jealous for some reason? But I suddenly sensed it wasn’t jealousy, but worry, why?

Then we came to a large door at the end of a corridor. It was even more astounding than the temple’s entry standing nearly as tall as the Bast outside. The door had an image of the red on it along with the letters that I only knew.

“Master suite?” I laughed.

“Could be,” Thunderbark said looking at the giant door. “I guess you should open it.” He continued as he peered at me from the corner of his eye.

“Guess I should.” I replied examining the letters. After about a minute I had the whole thing translated.

“Megoria farnger sheip trorgan horserp naria.” I hissed. The door opened, slightly faster than the one before. It revealed the most amazing room in the whole temple. It was a “master suite”, stunning in fact.

The bed was at the far end of the wall along with heavy iron and gold furniture; it had everything that a real world bedroom would have plus some.

The fact that there’s a bedroom in the Temple makes the whole “after a red dies; a few years later a female coaster is selected. She is chosen because she is the purest and has the nicest heart towards others. Amusement Park Between summons her to the Temple of The Red. The whole time she is in a trance and doesn’t have a clue what goes on or happens. Some spirit thing occurs, but I [sic] not entirely sure on that one” even more creepy and rapetastic. :gonk:

quote:

“I think this is my room.” I said in a slight daze as I walked further into it. I paused at the bed and glanced around. Thunderbark walked up to my side. He stared at me vigorously.

“A small flame aroused [sic]” from Thunderbark’s fist

Railrunner and Thunderbark all by themselves in a bedroom…

Thunderbark staring at Railrunner “vigorously”…

I’m not sure I like where this is going. :gonk:

quote:

“Where did you learn the language to open the doors?” he asked with his eyes bearing into mine.

“Well, a book.” I replied nervously, slightly worried what Thunderbark was getting at.

“What is it called, Railrunner?” he demanded.

“Veradagashi, Moonhoof gave it to me.” I uttered.

“The book of the red, no wonder-.”

I raised an eyebrow. “There something wrong, Thunderbark?” I asked confused.

“Railrunner, there is a rumor about that book.” He said austerely, the white coaster’s eyes bearing into mine.

“What?”

“Can you pull it out and turn to the back of it?” Thunderbark said as he pointed to my messenger bag.

“I guess.” I said prying it out of my cramped bag. I opened it and turned it to the back, but there were several pages missing, making Thunderbark’s eyes widen.

“Just as I thought. I’m going to tell you something that you will have to know for your sake and everyone else’s.”

“What is it?” I said as I sat on the colossal bed.

“The previous red, a coaster named Moonblood who was probably the most well known red at the time, was looking through the book one night. He came across the pages that have now been ripped out.”

If there’s only one “red” at a time, I’d say that yes, the incumbent red would probably be the most well-known red of that time.

quote:

“Thunderbark, what was on those pages?” I asked.

“On the ten pages were various maps on where each portal to the real world was located. He knew if Ironwheel were to get a hold of them, it would be disaster for everyone in this world as well as the real one. So he ripped them out and hid them someplace and the pages haven’t been found since.”

Suddenly you guys are concerned about the “real world”? How does that square with your love of indiscriminate murder of people?

quote:

“Smart, Thunderbark what exactly happened to Moonblood?” I said looking at him. The coaster then sighed in defeat.

AARGH

No. No. I will control myself.

quote:

“His destiny was to kill Ironwheel as it is yours. In combat Moonblood was savagely murdered by the evil bastard that Ironwheel is.”

This made me gulp in uncertainty. Thunderbark then smiled and sat next to me.

“Don’t worry Railrunner; you are the most powerful red roller coaster that I have ever beheld! More powerful than Moonblood for sure. Plus you have something that he did not.” He grinned to himself.

“What might that be?” I asked.

He laughed as he exited the room. “A trainer.”

You are not much of a “trainer”, Thunderbark. You mostly just leave him to fumble around on his own.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I think we should have made a list from the beginning of what movie/tv series/franchise Miranda is ripping off at any time. For instance, now it was Harry Potter, Railrunner even hisses the password to open the doors. Then there is Avatar: The Last Airbender and X-Men that I recall at the moment.

I'm sure that the deal with the stuffed animals is that once they get thrown out or destroyed they become wild non-sentient animals in Amusement Park Between, perfect for food for the ravenous roller coasters.

One thing I'm sure that no one has actually missed, Railrunner is supposed to be a jesus figure. He has all these powers and the virgin birth. Well, I'm not sure if Miranda actually intended it to be so obvious, or she actually thought she was rewriting the new testament (with a healthy dose of wrath of God from the old testament).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
In this fantasy I am swimming down the Acterbahnn between Trenzon and [INSERT AMUSEMENT PARK BETWEEN LOCATION HERE.]

A large Winnebago ("A human vehicle??" I sighed discombobulatedly. "That makes no sense! Then again, this is Amusement Park Between, a land beyond imagination!!") has pulled to the side of the riverbank. An anxious-looking human flags me down.

"This could be trouble," I sigh to Clare. 'It is certainly irregular.' Clare sighs nothing. Little do I know what is in store.

"Can you help me," sighs the man. "I am Roy Orbison's tour manager."

"Also?" I sigh in polite surprise. I have already used my new superpower of reading English to read the legend "Roy Orbison tour bus" on the side of the vehicle.

I get off of my latest murder victim. "What seems to be the problem?"

He leads me to the back of the van. 'Roy has succumbed to a heart attack and is clinically dead,' he sighs, indicating a certain well-known man in black sprawled on the floor of the vehicle.

"So." I sigh.

"Are you, perchance, a doctor?"

"No. I have long been fascinated by doctors and surgical tools of all sorts but have never actually seen one in my life for reasons I prefer not to disclose."

"Ach! Then I am at a loss what to do."

"There is one thing we might try," I sigh with super obvious nonchalance. "If we were to wrap him in cling-film, this would prevent corruption setting in until we can get him to a hospital."

"It is certainly worth a try. Alas, I have no clingfilm."

"Fortunately I have just gained the ability to summon clingfilm from water molecules." I transform into Railrunner. The tour manager looks anxiously at me as I blow apart his right arm to turn his blood into clingfilm. "I must work undisturbed." I sigh at him. He nods and gives me privacy.

Now it is just me and Roy Orbison and the cling-film. I start from the ankles and work up to the trademark dark glasses, wrapping slowly and carefully. Soon Roy Orbison is completely wrapped in cling-film. He is like a big black beetle wrapped in a silvery cocoon. The satisfaction is unparalleled by anything in my previous existence.

"He is completely covered in clingfilm." I sigh to the manager. "I will accompany him as you drive to the hospital."

Four hours later Roy Orbison sits up in bed in hospital and smiles at me.

"I hear I owe you my life," he sighs. "Please accept these concert tickets."

I bow politely. "There is something you perhaps should know. While you were in a coma I was forced to wrap you entirely in cling-film."

"Quick thinking," sighs Roy.

"You did not mind?"

Roy's expression is unreadable. "I wasn't aware of it." But was there the slightest sigh behind those dark glasses?

Of course, I sigh as I return to the patient Clare, there can be no question of him enjoying it, for he was dead at the time.

Or was he...??? I used my new power of telekinetic incineration to make certain he was. On the way out I killed 20 more people.

• Locked thread