Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Yeah, clearly this thing should be 150-200', tops. I know that's still crazy-stupid enormous for a structure as long as the Wall is, but this is also supposed to be a fantasy story with dragons and magic swords. It makes a kind of sense that the men of the ancient, mystical times who built it would be able to stack the Great Wall of China up on itself 8 times at the tallest point, entirely out of blocks of ice. Surely they must have had some kind of magical assistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I think Bran the Builder used some Children of the Forest magic.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Is the book out yet?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Is the book out yet?

Yeah. He wrapped it up a couple years ago. Is this news?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, we're still putting it together, but I think we're aiming for an Independance Day release this year.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I've been treating the season airing as our hiatus.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Does anyone have the list of chapter descriptions, I signed up for the last one left but have no idea which one or what it was about.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Check A GLISTENING HODOR's posts in the thread for it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The post in question is linked to in the OP, one of the first few lines. Said post is also exactly 69 pages ago, naturally.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

When does Thelonius Gayjoy get captured by the bdsm dom Ramsmy Buttman?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Didn't see this mentioned yet: someone is making Meathouse Man into a graphic novel :stonk:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

equity posted:

When does Thelonius Gayjoy get captured by the bdsm dom Ramsmy Buttman?

Originally it was in a A Dance With Dildos, but we can probably move it up to A Storm of Schwanz.

But then we'll have to shuffle around A Fist for Bros.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Probably can just merge FistDinks together, smoothe things out, put in some 'sounding' sections, aw yiss.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I will get into the appropriate vampire erotica mindset soon

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Shoehead posted:

It's pretty funny that GURM based the wall on Hadrian's Wall, something you can step over in some parts.

Well, now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

rypakal posted:

Well, now.

Don't look at me, he said it. I don't know why he wouldn't just lie and say he based it on the Great Wall.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Don't look at me, he said it. I don't know why he wouldn't just lie and say he based it on the Great Wall.
Because everyone knows the Scots are ice-zombies.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Shoehead posted:

What I'm saying is you couldn't just walk over Hadrian's Wall when it was built.

It's clearly modeled on Hadrian's Wall, from the gates underneath to ever-reducing manned watchtowers and from stretching across a narrow part of the land to the bright white color. It's 700 feet tall because *magic* and that really only presents problems in the battle scene. He should have just made areas in the wall above each gate where you could defend from maybe 50 feet high.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

rypakal posted:

It's 700 feet tall because *magic* and that really only presents problems in the battle scene.

I'm no climbing expert, but I think it's also kind of unbelievable that lots of people manage to climb up and over a 700 foot tall sheet of ice with gear that's basically stone-headed axes. I don't think the wildlings even have the ability to forge metal, do they?

Not only that, but I think even with the technology that the southern side has, I don't think it would be possible to build a medieval elevator that goes from 0-700 feet without making it a staggered series of elevators that go short distances.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, a 700-ft elevator would require, at a minimum, just over 700 ft of rope, and that's assuming the winch is only at the top of the Wall. Winch at the bottom, you'd need a rope over a quarter-mile in length, almost four football fields to keep this in a GRRM-y frame. How the gently caress would you ever keep a rope like that in order? And that is just a single rope on a single pulley; a real system would have at least two ropes, probably four for safety, and each rope would be around a mile in length or greater because you would certainly want your pulleys in block-form to distribute the weight load off any single point of the rope.

Oh, and you'd probably want steel cables, because rope loving stretches.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
It's not rope, it's the hair of princess Rapunzel Targaryen who has been locked up in the Maiden's Tower (why did you think it was called that) at the top all these years by her evil godmother Lysa Arryn. Rapunzel (nicknamed Rapy by the narrator) tosses her long braid down the window of the tower and then pulls up unaware visitors like Catelyn in a basket.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, a 700-ft elevator would require, at a minimum, just over 700 ft of rope, and that's assuming the winch is only at the top of the Wall. Winch at the bottom, you'd need a rope over a quarter-mile in length, almost four football fields to keep this in a GRRM-y frame. How the gently caress would you ever keep a rope like that in order? And that is just a single rope on a single pulley; a real system would have at least two ropes, probably four for safety, and each rope would be around a mile in length or greater because you would certainly want your pulleys in block-form to distribute the weight load off any single point of the rope.

Elevator built with magic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rypakal posted:

Elevator built with magic.

It's the only way. They don't have enough stewards or builders to maintain poo poo.

Now I kinda wish GRRM would ever write again so he could do some Die Hard meets Speed and I guess Underworld scene?

*squints intensely*

"Shoot the hostage wildling."

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I don't think the dragons eat enough food, either. Dragons are for real big monsters and to achieve a for real big stature you need to eat a whole heck of a lot of food. Way more children/animals that Drogon eats!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I should also point out that people can't drink magic green goo and turn into a tree.

Except, of course, if you're in Nilbog.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I should also point out that people can't drink magic green goo and turn into a tree.

Gnomes turn into trees when they die, though. Ipso facto, Bran is a dying gnome.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Or maybe Bran drank the Nilbog juice, and that turned him into a gnome. THEN he died.

But then why did the Nibog goblins not just eat trees? Was it the sick thrill of turning humans into gnomes so they become trees so they can eat them.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
This reminds me. Why are there no trolls in a movie series with the name Troll?

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Being a steward is hard work. That's why you need to know redirecting pulleys and mechanical advantage

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

And counter-weights! Goddamn it, George, your stupid loving ice wall andghahbrhahgrhahgraab

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is the thread to complain about the ice wall right? Man I loving hate that big ice wall. Goddammit George.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All loving kinds of wizards did it.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
It is filled with the bodies of everyone who tried writing ASOIAF fanfiction in the nineties.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is there any "vintage" ASoIaF fan-fiction to dredge up? That stuff sounds morbidly fascinating.

My apologies if you lot already secured some in your research for Game of Bones and Clash of Quims.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I have no idea actually. There were literally like 3 ASOIAF fanfics on fanfiction.net when I checked in 2009 for the hell of it. If there are any vintage 90's ASOIAF fanfic, it was probably on a fan site or some poo poo.

Now that the show came out and it's popular, there's like thousands of fanfics and they're probably all bad except Game of Bones of course.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 6, 2013

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When I googled game of bones and it's an actual book about skeletons on boats or something did I do it wrong?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is it this one, cause yeah I think we need to knock this Privateersman mystery off the top of his mountan in the search engines here.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
ASOIAF is too complex for fanfic.

In depth sci-fi/fantasy has shipping. Fanfic is for 4th grade reading level baby poo poo like Harry Potter and Star Wars and anything by Joss Whedon.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Maybe once this wall is destroyed, they'll rebuild a new one from Dany's storm of poo poo. It'll only NEED to be around 30 feet to stop anything, but they'll make it 1000 because she just won't stop. She'll be adding layers as she does flybys on her dragon like a crop duster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

All loving kinds of wizards did it.

I rearranged this to "all kinds of loving wizards did it" and it suddenly got disturbing and worthy of Game of Bones. Godric Gayne is a loving wizards, he knows the secret language of Pleasure.