Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

achillesforever6 posted:

Brad made a new series about losers who decided to make an Internet Reviewing show to make money, starring Jake and Brian
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/05/02/the-reviewers-behind-the-scenes-meet-space-lancer-steve.aspx

I'd always thought that Brad didn't watch the small-time reviewers who advertised on his site, but based on this, it would appear that he watched them very, very closely.

Edit: Another new Cheapskate Live episode is here, in which the Blockbuster Chick of the Agony Booth joins me to watch "The Little Cars."

echopapa fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
New Between The Lines from Oancitizen.

Short, but interesting and well-researched. It's good to have him back.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Maremidon posted:

New Between The Lines from Oancitizen.

Short, but interesting and well-researched. It's good to have him back.

This is really good. Missed this guy.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
That was indeed a pretty excellent Between the Lines, although I can say (with some superiority?) that I've never watched Honey Boo Boo.

New Infamous Queer episode from me - in which I explore the fine tradition of confusing-as-gently caress lesbian films, with a look at David Lynch and Darren Aronovsky and their contributions to this oddly specific genre. Mulholland Drive versus Black Swan!

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Infamous Sphere posted:

That was indeed a pretty excellent Between the Lines, although I can say (with some superiority?) that I've never watched Honey Boo Boo.

New Infamous Queer episode from me - in which I explore the fine tradition of confusing-as-gently caress lesbian films, with a look at David Lynch and Darren Aronovsky and their contributions to this oddly specific genre. Mulholland Drive versus Black Swan!

Having not seen either of these films, I thought this was really good. Also, thanks for reminding me to go watch Perfect Blue.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Well thank you! If I can remind anyone to watch Perfect Blue, I think I've done a good job. (There's also scene comparisons between Black Swan and Perfect Blue on youtube if you're interested.)

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was surprised to see that in his latest review, Spoony is again using the Andrew Dickman animation. He stopped using that after they had some kind of falling out, but I guess maybe they worked it out?

I'd noticed Andrew Dickman had stopped doing the art for a lot of his usual clients, most notably Phelous and Nostalgia Chick. Did he just have some big falling out with everyone, or stop doing bumper art work, or what?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Infamous Sphere posted:

Well thank you! If I can remind anyone to watch Perfect Blue, I think I've done a good job. (There's also scene comparisons between Black Swan and Perfect Blue on youtube if you're interested.)

Darren Aronofsky is such a big fan of Perfect Blue he literally bought up the rights just to recreate one scene in Requiem For a Dream. Not a surprise it had a big influence on Black Swan.

I'm not entirely sure you gave Aronofsky a fair shake in this review. His frenetic camera work has actually been toned down in recent years. Seriously, check out Requiem, it's loving dizzying. Also The Fountain is criminally underrated.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

cubs2084 posted:

I'd noticed Andrew Dickman had stopped doing the art for a lot of his usual clients, most notably Phelous and Nostalgia Chick. Did he just have some big falling out with everyone, or stop doing bumper art work, or what?

He's working on Teen Titans Go! which is why he hasn't done any title cards recently.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Benne posted:

Darren Aronofsky is such a big fan of Perfect Blue he literally bought up the rights just to recreate one scene in Requiem For a Dream. Not a surprise it had a big influence on Black Swan.

I'm not entirely sure you gave Aronofsky a fair shake in this review. His frenetic camera work has actually been toned down in recent years. Seriously, check out Requiem, it's loving dizzying. Also The Fountain is criminally underrated.

Oh I know that he bought the rights to Perfect Blue, I mention it briefly in the credits.

Opinion-wise I might differ from other people when it comes to this review but I am prepared to watch some of Aronofsky's other work. Requiem is supposed to be very good, and I've heard The Wrestler is a powerful movie. The Fountain might be a little too incomprehensible for my taste, but if I could watch and enjoy Orlando, Velvet Goldmine, Memento and Cloud Atlas, it doesn't sound impossible. However, I did say that I have only watched one film by both directors. I'm a bit more familiar with Lynch, owing to the fact that I've heard his music, and I know a little bit more about the man as a person, but I'm technically only really judging the films going on what research I've done about the directors and their other films, and the two films as stand-alone pieces. So my judgement of Aronofsky is pretty much entirely based on Black Swan, which..well..I saw alone in a cinema, and when I finished, I turned to the people next to me and went "WHAT THE HELL...WAS..THAT." Then I sent some angry texts to people about how much I hated it. It seems like a bit of an overreaction, but I really did feel this visceral, automatic hatred for the film. A week or so later, I thought to myself "on reflection, it wasn't horrible - I can tell that a lot of effort and skill went in", but it doesn't mean that I think it's anywhere near as magnificent as everyone else seems to.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Greekonomics posted:

He's working on Teen Titans Go! which is why he hasn't done any title cards recently.

Yeah he still interacts with them on the Twitter, doesn't seem to have been a falling out. He had been talking about wanting to focus on his own projects/professional work, and didn't have time to do weekly title cards anymore.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Benne posted:

It's been a while since Lindsay released a proper Nostalgia Chick video.

"Top 10 music videos of the 90's"

http://blip.tv/nostalgia-chick/nostalgia-chick-top-ten-music-videos-of-the-90-s-6578188

drat, that one was good. Brought back sooo many memories of music videos that I watched with friends from middle school through college. It left me with "Virtual Insanity" in my head for days though.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I take a look at the third episode of Reboot, Quick and the Fed, and partly reflect on the show's gradual transition from an episodic saturday morning cartoon type show to something more serial and serious.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

While not necessarily new, I just recently watched Retsupurae's commentary on Nostalgia Critic's Bart's Nightmare LP, and holy poo poo. For anyone who's not a fan of NC like me, this video sums up everything thats terrible about his schtick.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

NienNunb posted:

While not necessarily new, I just recently watched Retsupurae's commentary on Nostalgia Critic's Bart's Nightmare LP, and holy poo poo. For anyone who's not a fan of NC like me, this video sums up everything thats terrible about his schtick.

I dunno, Retsupurae, much as I like them, kind of phoned it in with that one. Nidoking and Psychedelic Eyeball's videos were better, I feel.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NienNunb posted:

I'm glad that Doug didn't get pissed and attack them with that stupid strawman he had. I'm just glad NC is much better now than it was then. Though that South Park episode still had the bitching about the fans/trolls.

New Editorial about "Parody movies being dead"
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/39172-nostalgia-critic-is-parody-dead

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Maremidon posted:

I dunno, Retsupurae, much as I like them, kind of phoned it in with that one. Nidoking and Psychedelic Eyeball's videos were better, I feel.

Retsupurae's video is actually kind of poetic I feel.
Their video was poorly researched, kind of phoned in, and they didn't feel it was very good but uploaded it anyway. (All this is by their own admission.)
Doug's let's play was poorly researched, kind of phoned in, and he didn't feel it was very good but uploaded it anyway. (All this by his own admission.)
The only difference is that Retsupurae's video was thankfully not indicative of the quality of their future content, while Doug's video... well... was.
Until the Nostalgia Critic reboot at least. His quality has finally gone back up again. He's not... great, but he's better.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Retsupurae's video is actually kind of poetic I feel.
Their video was poorly researched, kind of phoned in, and they didn't feel it was very good but uploaded it anyway. (All this is by their own admission.)
Doug's let's play was poorly researched, kind of phoned in, and he didn't feel it was very good but uploaded it anyway. (All this by his own admission.)
The only difference is that Retsupurae's video was thankfully not indicative of the quality of their future content, while Doug's video... well... was.
Until the Nostalgia Critic reboot at least. His quality has finally gone back up again. He's not... great, but he's better.
iirc wasn't he going on his honeymoon and needed to make some content for that week?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad that Doug didn't get pissed and attack them with that stupid strawman he had. I'm just glad NC is much better now than it was then. Though that South Park episode still had the bitching about the fans/trolls.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/39172-nostalgia-critic-is-parody-dead

I really like the fact that Doug takes the time to do these, and particularly how he goes to the trouble of making a script and collecting clips to go along with them. It's about as much content as one of Spoony's rambling V-logs that I used to watch all the drat time while only being about 1/6th the running time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Obscurus Lupa posted a new Charmed season review:
http://phelous.com/node/1623

Good god, this show is absolutely terrible.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

NienNunb posted:

While not necessarily new,

"Not necessarily new"? Why the hell did you bring that video up? That was years ago! Nobody gives a poo poo anymore! Especially when Doug admitted it was poo poo!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

rjryan3 posted:

"Not necessarily new"? Why the hell did you bring that video up? That was years ago! Nobody gives a poo poo anymore! Especially when Doug admitted it was poo poo!

Doug did it on a bet with James Rolfe, didn't he? Rolfe would do a movie and he'd do a game (this was before Rolfe started monster madness and such.)

EDIT: \/ Oh right. And that was actually a pretty well done AVGN-style review

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 9, 2013

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Mokinokaro posted:

Doug did it on a bet with James Rolfe, didn't he? Rolfe would do a movie and he'd do a game (this was before Rolfe started monster madness and such.)

No, that was years earlier, he reviewed the Bebe's Kids game for that bet.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Angry Joe Reviews a long awaited Star Trek game.

Although I often think he might not have a clue to why a game's what it is, here he's done the research. And he gives a game a 5, a cheap buy.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Annointed posted:

Angry Joe Reviews a long awaited Star Trek game.

Although I often think he might not have a clue to why a game's what it is, here he's done the research. And he gives a game a 5, a cheap buy.

I ended up picking up that game on a whim on my iPad and played it for about half an hour, kind of disappointing to hear that it turned out that poorly though from their original pitch. I know Angry Joe isn't well liked, but he can do some decent reviews when he avoids dumb skits or obnoxious behavior.

I also thought it was kind of funny that for all of the guys production value that he couldn't invest in a iPad to HDMI cable or capture video with AirPlay.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
New Half in the Bag: IRON MAN 3 and PAIN & GAIN

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-iron-man-3-and-pain-gain/

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

Wow, that is a real improvement in quality from the last Nostalgia Critic I saw.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

Wow, that is a real improvement in quality from the last Nostalgia Critic I saw.
It really helps that these editorials are short and usually given analysis, while his main reviews have the benefit of two weeks to edit and think up better jokes/script.

meanwhile another preview for Brad's "The Reviewers" show
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/05/07/the-reviewers-behind-the-scenes-meet-count-thomas-howell.aspx
Brain's character really does remind me of some of the lovely late night horror hosts, like that hack that Spoony hosted on his site and you would get banned if you talked about how lovely the show was.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Is the Meta-humor in this episode the fact that the dumb gratuitous gags take from overall experience and that too much is crammed in overall?

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart

poparena posted:

I take a look at the third episode of Reboot, Quick and the Fed, and partly reflect on the show's gradual transition from an episodic saturday morning cartoon type show to something more serial and serious.

Just wanted to say this was pretty enjoyable! Reboot was a really weird show when you think about it, but unlike a lot of old cartoons there's... not a lot of writing on it on this internet. At least, that I have found.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New One-Hit Wonderland: "It's Rainin' Men" by the Weather Girls.

Syntax Erin
Jan 1, 2012

Now I don't know what to think... Brad Jones enthusiastically recommended Pain & Gain, saying that everyone should go see it and that he disagreed with the low ratings it had on Rotten Tomatoes. Now Red Letter Media say the same movie is horrible garbage. I suppose Brad's love of schlock and violence is an indicator that if you like the kind of movies he likes, you'll like Pain & Gain, but if you don't, you won't.

So I'll be sure to at least rent Pain & Gain.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

People have different opinions about things. Spoony spent a hour tearing apart Iron Man 3, while the Red Letter Media guys liked it. They also like Dark Knight Rises while Brad hated the film. Pain & Gain seems like it's one of those films where you wouldn't know which side of the fence you fall to until you see it.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Crap, Blip finally found some way to get around adblock. They have Hulu's "Sorry, we are unable to load a message from our sponsors" message on there now and it makes you wait a full minute of that message unless you enable ads.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

bbf2 posted:

Crap, Blip finally found some way to get around adblock. They have Hulu's "Sorry, we are unable to load a message from our sponsors" message on there now and it makes you wait a full minute of that message unless you enable ads.

Yeah :(

Although I can't decide if a minute of dead silence is really any worse than thirty seconds of Real Housewives.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

bbf2 posted:

I'm not too torn up about this. I usually disable it anyway for the producers I like and want to support, but now I have a friendly reminder to do so!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yay Sibling Rivalry is back! :neckbeard:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/sibling-rivalry/39176-sibling-rivalry-iron-man-3
I love the dynamic between Rob and Doug.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

bbf2 posted:

I am simultaneously annoyed and impressed by this.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man Rob does not like Guy Pearce, wonder why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Never in my whole life have I watched 2 guys miss the point of a movie so much - talking about Pain & Gain. The whole point of the film is pointing out the main characters to be such absolute, loving dirtbags that you take sympathy on Tony Schaloub's character. It's the perversion of American masculinity, the American Dream, the "hard work and you'll make it," it's narrative is taking these real events, and using them to talk about how hosed this country's philosophy is. Wahlberg's character is such a colossal piece of poo poo, who just believes in the American Dream and the pursuit of wealth he'll go to such insane lengths, that you're on this horrifying ride as he spirals utterly out of control. The Rock's character is this sort of, gently caress, it's hard to describe - he's trapped in this endless cycle of wanting redemption, and keeps falling back into crime.

It's a surprisingly deeper film than these two knuckleheads are willing to give it credit for, mainly because of the name attached, and it's such a loving bummer.

• Locked thread