Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I did think that at least Dragon Age 1 did it okay, by portraying the choices entirely in the context of which characters like you more or less based on them. This is what the Witcher 1 and to a lesser extent 2 did too. If you're gonna have choices like that, I think that's the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

axleblaze posted:

Moral choices were popular because developers thought they could pull them off, but they found out that it was far more effort for something most people didn't care about and they still did a poo poo job pulling it off. Like the closest anyone came was Alpha Protocol and even then alot of your choices don't change much. Having a game with real choices like that just isn't practical and when done badly you get something like the ME3 ending.
Mass Effect still worked overall, ending aside, specifically because they weren't moral choices. They were just choices. The only "moral" to it was paragon vs regenade, with neither being evil. You're saving the galaxy, and if some people need to be exploded to save the galaxy better'er, then who is going to dare question it. :black101:

(I think Bioware probably intended it to be a generic moral system in the first game, but by the second they'd mostly abandoned it for "just choices," thank goodness)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's true that inFamous 2 is a pretty significant improvement over the first in many ways, but taken as a whole I think they're more or less equally good. Both have a few bad points, but not enough to knock them off my list of "top 10 free-roaming parkour lightning hands simulators".

Wait, I just remembered the Sewer Levels in 1. gently caress those things. The first couple are alright, but then it's just like "Really? I have to do this again?" :what:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I did think that at least Dragon Age 1 did it okay, by portraying the choices entirely in the context of which characters like you more or less based on them. This is what the Witcher 1 and to a lesser extent 2 did too. If you're gonna have choices like that, I think that's the way to do it.

Agreed. I think Dragon Age Origins really did an excellent job of having your choices affect things and be consistent to the player's concept of the character. You can actually do evil things for a role reason instead of choosing that path because you played a good character last time and want to See The Changes. Of course, the way they were able to do it was by feeding you the outcomes in an epilogue that didn't require a bunch of artists and new gameplay and whatever else, it just required more words.

(Their mistake was trying to pretend that stuff would have an impact on the sequel. Really, DAO should have ended with the binary/trinary ending options of ME3 that would have been manageable for the sequel team to reconcile into a new narrative, while ME3 should have had the epilogue of DAO where all your choices are synthesized into a dynamic final outcome.)

I played Infamous 1 long after its release when I finally picked up a PS3 and found it inexplicably overrated. Nothing about the hovering around and trying to headshot guys with a clumsy lightning crosshair was fun to me. Even though Prototype consistently put you in more ridiculously active battles, I thought it was much less frustrating than Infamous by the halfway point and consequently it was more fun.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 5, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Moral choices were popular because developers thought they could pull them off, but they found out that it was far more effort for something most people didn't care about and they still did a poo poo job pulling it off. Like the closest anyone came was Alpha Protocol and even then alot of your choices don't change much. Having a game with real choices like that just isn't practical and when done badly you get something like the ME3 ending.

Your choices in Alpha Protocol changed a lot on the character and scenario level. People are still discovering some scenarios that no one brought up before in the Alpha Protocol thread to this day. The game is insanely reactive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

Mass Effect still worked overall, ending aside, specifically because they weren't moral choices. They were just choices. The only "moral" to it was paragon vs regenade, with neither being evil. You're saving the galaxy, and if some people need to be exploded to save the galaxy better'er, then who is going to dare question it. :black101:

(I think Bioware probably intended it to be a generic moral system in the first game, but by the second they'd mostly abandoned it for "just choices," thank goodness)
The main reason I don't like ME's system is because the choices you make are too complex just to be represented on a one dimensional continuum, whether you call it good/evil or paragon/renegade. There were countless times in all the games where I did something that got me paragon/renegade points and I was like wait what? Why?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
InFamous 1 and 2 both kick rear end. I have a hard time saying that I like one more than the other because I absolutely loved hardcore parkouring around Empire City. Lots of people like New Marais, but I liked Fake New York more. Cole and Zeke are seriously awesome in InFamous 2 though and I loved pretty much all of their interactions. InFamous is pretty much the only game series I've gotten my brother hooked on.

And much to our chagrin, Infamous: Second Sons won't star Cole. I want more Cole MacGrath. He's practically my reason to play the series. No matter what, he's a smarmy badass who either has a heart of gold or a vendetta against life itself. It's hard not to love, and I have large doubts that Smoke won't have the same sort of charisma.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like Infamous 1 better if it weren't for the pin point accurate AK wielding gangs in every area, I could be miles away and they'd be hitting me without fail.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I'd like Infamous 1 better if it weren't for the pin point accurate AK wielding gangs in every area, I could be miles away and they'd be hitting me without fail.

They are less of a problem if you are zipping across rooftops like electric spider-man, dropping mad amounts of destruction when you catch air or grind on a power line. I know people say the powers are basically guns, but try to play like a super hero anyway. Like common Uncharted advice, don't turtle up, close the distance or circle around enemies.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So, ignoring that this is one of the worst weeks on PSN store (or disc based games for that matter...) there is a Fuse demo Tuesday. I didn't know what Fuse was, so I looked it up.

1) Insomniac! Cool!

2) Wow is it me or does this look extremely generic and kinda crappy?Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd love to be!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

So, ignoring that this is one of the worst weeks on PSN store (or disc based games for that matter...) there is a Fuse demo Tuesday. I didn't know what Fuse was, so I looked it up.

1) Insomniac! Cool!

2) Wow is it me or does this look extremely generic and kinda crappy?Hopefully I'm wrong. I'd love to be!!

It has a fairly cool debut trailer with a lot of personality.

Then they decided nope, let's generic this up.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Aphrodite posted:

It has a fairly cool debut trailer with a lot of personality.

Then they decided nope, let's generic this up.

RIP Overstrike, a game that looked like it could be fun :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT8cTpxqjhI

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I get why people are upset about Fuse but you have to admit the Overstrike trailer did not exactly set the world on fire. They probably assumed it would bomb. I definitely had no interest(not that I think Fuse looks better).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A four player coop game with colorful characters in a colorful world sounded great given that most shooters have gun-metal grey, brown worlds and only have two kinds of characters: Bitchy Mctits and Roidrage Bigbeef. It didn't have to set the world on fire, it just need personality and silliness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Feenix posted:

So, ignoring that this is one of the worst weeks on PSN store

Sleeping Dogs is gonna be free (again) for PS+, which is good enough for me (my PS+ lapsed when it was free before).

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
I see no harm in refraining from making GBS threads on the game for 2 more days and let the demo speak for it. I just get a little upset on people pissing on a game for what it is not or could have been before it is really clear what is good and bad about what it actually is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, Fatal Frame 2 is already coming Tuesday. It's the best horror game ever made, no foolin'. That redeems this week all by itself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

Sleeping Dogs is gonna be free (again) for PS+, which is good enough for me (my PS+ lapsed when it was free before).

It wasn't free for NA before, but it was for Europe.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Neon Knight posted:

I see no harm in refraining from making GBS threads on the game for 2 more days and let the demo speak for it. I just get a little upset on people pissing on a game for what it is not or could have been before it is really clear what is good and bad about what it actually is.

Looks really inspiring (Sarcasm)

The Creative Lead goes into details into why they changed the tone too "felt like they were creating Mission Impossible the movie and weren't pushing it hard enough into an unique space" but it's a real non-answer then goes into talking about the tech of the weapons instead of the tone.

Edit: Warning to Shalinor and others who are averse to CHC (Chest High Cover). You may have a severe reaction.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jimbot posted:

Edit: Warning to Shalinor and others who are averse to CHC (Chest High Cover). You may have a severe reaction.
If the actual gameplay looked solid, I could get over it, but "invisible girl slices dude's throat 5 feet in front of world's most oblivious guard" kind of brings it home. This looks about as janky and generic as Alpha Protocol's fighting, only here, I gather that's all there is.

... and man, that is a LOT of chest high walls. It looks like your characters also have chest high wall magnets (dude warps spice-time to jump 10 feet to one at 1:50). It's like I'm witnessing a world in which all technology was developed in direct reaction to the tactical superiority of chest high walls.

EDIT: Tragically, it would appear that your non-controlled team members are incapable of finding cover. They're just standing around, every other time the dude swaps to them. A tragic, fatal flaw in a world of chest high wall superiority.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 6, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alteisen posted:

2 is such a staggeringly huge improvement its not even funny.

Except on the "moral" choices, they still boil down to murder orphans or save the crashing bus full of nuns.
It is funny that the one of the bad moral choices boils down to Zeke hates street performers, which for the living statues I can understand, but I can't hate a guy playing some music on the sax or harmonica.
I don't think the story was that bad, fire lady was a bitch, but I was still entertained by the story as a whole. I hope the sequel will have Cole and Zeke back in some form though.

Crowbear posted:

RIP Overstrike, a game that looked like it could be fun :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT8cTpxqjhI
Insomniac still has a lot of good will in me that I will give Fuse a shot and hopefully some of the humor will be in there, but man gently caress focus groups and what could have been :smith:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jimbot posted:

The Creative Lead goes into details into why they changed the tone too "felt like they were creating Mission Impossible the movie and weren't pushing it hard enough into an unique space" but it's a real non-answer then goes into talking about the tech of the weapons instead of the tone.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh...

It looks like they took what I was picturing Overstrike being and replaced "fun and lighthearted" with "Gears of War". All the other pre-release footage I've seen has been a bummer too.

I'll give the demo a shot because I love Insomniac and the dumb, awesome weapons they make but my expectations are low.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What questions do they ask focus groups that result in them wanting new games to look exactly same as already existing games, anyway?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

What questions do they ask focus groups that result in them wanting new games to look exactly same as already existing games, anyway?
"What do you want in a game?"

<consumers being consumers can only answer with things they like about their current games / express they dislike things that they've never done before>

"Eureka! Now we know what they want! Let's do these things they told us to do!"

Focus testing has a lot of value. It just doesn't have any value the way most of the industry uses it. At least at my old studio, it was in large part due to the wrong people being chosen to run the tests and parse the data.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 6, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fuse is still a humorous game. Check out this promotional infographic.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

I personally like some of the design decisions they made in Far Cry 2, but couldn't get past how infuriating the enemy AI is and how crappy the shooting is. I would probably prefer playing Far Cry 2 if the tech was as good as 3's. FC3 was way too easy, even on hard.

I liked it up to the middle, but man, that middle sequence just killed every single bit of investment I had in the game. So I stopped caring, and stopped playing.

Liar Lyre posted:

Fuse is still a humorous game. Check out this promotional infographic.

Advertising does not denote the tone of the game itself. See: Dead Island, Gears of War 2, etc.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 6, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Crap. Ignore/delete this

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jimbot posted:

Reminds me of Brute Force from the Xbox. That isn't a good thing. Although, I felt that the debut trailer did nothing for me either.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Talking of choices in video games I generally like how Alpha Protocol did it because it changes ways that people relate to you. It gave the impression that what you did had a wider impact than something you just unlock on a skill tree. At the moment that's my major peeve with video game choices, which is to say they're just binary and largely mean nothing. Or the effect of the choices you make are completely outlandish (I think Dishonored is a good example of that).

Anyway, just starting playing Hitman: Absolution thanks to PS+ and I already am so-so on it. I appreciate the effort that's gone into it but it's trying to straddle the line between being like the old games and being more action oriented when it needs to pick one. For all its faults I think Dishonored managed to pull that off successfully. I can be the crazy revenge driven dude or I can be so stealth that no one ever knew I was there.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Even with all the silly moral choices and the at-times tedious third-person shooting, I still maintain infamous 1 and 2 are some of the best 3D platformers I've ever played - climbing buildings and zipping around power lines was just so much fun that I immediately forgot about all the annoying bits.

And combat gets way more enjoyable once you get all the powers and can slow-time snipe dudes while zipping across power lines, throw them from buildings with a force push, hurl hundreds of grenades at them from above, and then body slam them from thirty stories up. The spark pistol is a lovely default weapon but all of the other toys make combat fun (a few horrible bus protection missions aside).

revolther
May 27, 2008
Everything about Cole's climbing/parkour was a little lackluster in Infamous 1; in Infamous 2 they remedied this by giving every building a fire-pole to slide up and in general he felt a bit snappier.

The ice-launch power in 2 was pretty drat awesome though. That was the most enjoyable power and the game opened up for a good few hours after that. Going the other direction with tar/fire powers was just terrible.

I really can't think of any justification for another Infamous game if it doesn't have some City of Heroes/Villains style hero creator. It's a series that needs to take itself less serious and go full on Saints Row levels of customization. The narrative/story gets in the way of the fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

revolther posted:

I really can't think of any justification for another Infamous game if it doesn't have some City of Heroes/Villains style hero creator. It's a series that needs to take itself less serious and go full on Saints Row levels of customization. The narrative/story gets in the way of the fun.
I think they have the mistaken impression that people actually like the story and characters and stuff in Infamous, for how much game time they spend on them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like the characters and story in Infamous :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I liked Infamous 2 a lot more than Infamous, but I thought the story was fine in both of them. Would love if Infamous 3 had you creating your own hero and picking the powers. I think it could work out.

As an aside, I finally got around to playing Playstation All-Stars this weekend. Man is it boring.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I actually enjoyed Cole as a main character because he wasn't all gun ho about being a super hero when he got his powers. That's what I actually enjoyed about the choices in one much more than 2 because most of his decisions are him being selfish more than not being evil.

Except that one decision. Yeah that was plain loving evil (And it made you permanently infamous :v: )

I enjoy the story of Infamous because they can expand upon the conduits and the cool thing is they have multiple things they can do with it in terms of super powers.

Granted, I wonder how they are going to handle it with how Infamous 2 ended.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, huh. I thought Cole was a pretty much blank sheet of a character, and the story was as generic superhero as you can get, except for the obnoxious good/evil choices where both the options are dumb. I thought everyone just played it for its excellent (for the most part) gameplay.

I didn't finish 2 though, maybe I should someday.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do agree that Cole is pretty bland but I really like Zeke and how he essentially has a character arc that takes two games to tell. I also like Kuo arc where she pretty much starts out as a typical, kinda bland, government type that's helpign you but getting superpowers just kind of fucks her poo poo up. I also didn't dislike Nix at all, and it's always werd to me when people complain about her. So, while I didn't really care about Cole, I thought the support characters were good and I thought the story being told was interesting enough. It's not amazing but I still liked it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, huh. I thought Cole was a pretty much blank sheet of a character, and the story was as generic superhero as you can get, except for the obnoxious good/evil choices where both the options are dumb. I thought everyone just played it for its excellent (for the most part) gameplay.

I didn't finish 2 though, maybe I should someday.

In my defense I don't really read many super hero comics so the whole character not accepting his powers and using for selfish reasons was a bit new. Granted now I read comics to the point this is more of a cliche thing.

Nix. It's hard to explain but she felt more look how bad and edgy I am. She was just so childish. That and I guess the way the game handled the whole sharing powers thing was more of a kind of a dumb way to add romantic tension.

Zeke was my favorite character because of how much of an rear end in a top hat he was in one. Here's the guy who is trying to ride off the coattails off his friend (literally he even tried to get a date out of it), eventually starts to get jealous and basically backstabs you. At that point I was like man gently caress zeke. When 2 came around I enjoyed how much he changed and it was less about himself.

Which is why in Infamous 2 this scenario really worked (spoilered just in case some goons still want to experience it themselves)

This is why I enjoyed the dynamic between Cole and Zeke. It got to the point they were able to patch up and be friends again. Which it made it hurt more when you pick the evil choice at the end and Zeke stands in your way knowing he has no chance to stop you. Even Evil Cole doesn't want to kill Zeke.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2013

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is Jet Set Radio HD worth picking up? I've heard that the control hasn't aged well, and takes time to get used to.

Additionally, is there any difference or preference between the PC version and the PS3 version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Max Wilco posted:

Is Jet Set Radio HD worth picking up? I've heard that the control hasn't aged well, and takes time to get used to.

Additionally, is there any difference or preference between the PC version and the PS3 version?
The PC version runs much smoother and looks better (and has twice as many achievements than the PS3 version for some reason). The controls are touched up a little bit with better camera controls and moving the spray button from the camera button, but other than that they're the same, which is to say you'll either get used to them or it'll ruin the entire experience for you. The HD version also has almost every music track from every version of the game released, barring two or three.

The answer to your question is yes, though. Always yes.

• Locked thread