Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

lohli posted:

The best soldiers are brought inwards because the social structure is pretty terrible and people like Lord McFat want the best soldiers to act as babysitters to them, trainees try to be the best because it allows them the opportunity to live a safe life in the inner walls where they hope to never actually see a titan(again, in some cases), ironically this means that the areas most at risk can and do end up without those most able to defend them.

Oh, no doubt, that is the unsubtle and primary interpretation. I was just saying there was another subtle way to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Right now I'm split on the best outcome being dude atually dying, and defying all shonen tropes or getting rescued, horribly burned by acid and switching voice actor to Michael Ironside after a time jump.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

lohli posted:

The best soldiers are brought inwards because the social structure is pretty terrible and people like Lord McFat want the best soldiers to act as babysitters to them, trainees try to be the best because it allows them the opportunity to live a safe life in the inner walls where they hope to never actually see a titan(again, in some cases), ironically this means that the areas most at risk can and do end up without those most able to defend them.

Another way to look at it is that the competition to be in the top 10 gets the soldiers to train hard. If you're ranked 11 or below, you're either survey corps (which will probably get you killed quickly) or wall duty (which used to be safer, but is now pretty drat dangerous as well). Knowing that, I can imagine that many trainees would put everything they had into training to get into one of those precious few spots to be relatively safe, so the ones who didn't quite make it would be better soldiers than they would be without that incentive to do well.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm a bit unclear on the size of the group the top 10 are chosen from, but if it's the top ten out of, say, 200, I think it'd be economical to 'lose' your top ten if it results in 190 recruits that will be a lot better than they would've otherwise been. Especially when the top tier are relatively close to each other in skill resulting in perhaps dozens elites that otherwise would've been above average but not quite excellent.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Get out your wallets, the bestest hug pillow has arrived!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

No matter what, these guys are still trainees. Even the top 10.

Now if they actually have any combat veterans is a more important question...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How do people like Crunchtroll's subscription service? I've only just started using the site, watching AoT pretty much on a whim, so I'm wondering if you guys like what you get from it besides not being a week behind?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

darkgray posted:

The new age of moe has arrived, and it is lacking skin.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do people like Crunchtroll's subscription service? I've only just started using the site, watching AoT pretty much on a whim, so I'm wondering if you guys like what you get from it besides not being a week behind?
This is the first season I've subscribed to Crunchyroll. I like it a lot more than Funimation's player, that's for sure. :) I like the sub quality (although I wish OPs and EDs were subbed) and the queue that remembers where you left off in each episode.

On the top 10 thing, I was under the impression that only the top ten would be allowed to join the Military Police directly, but that doesn't explicitly rule out transferring into the interior later.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Get out your wallets Titan superfans, soon you too will be able to simulate being eaten by a giant, inhuman monstrosity: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/i-play-an-oculus-rift-demo-that-shows-you-what-its-like-to-die-spoiler-its

quote:

The blade going through your neck sounds like someone dropping a wet steak. Your view falls forward, and begins to roll. The head tracking is turned off. “You just got what’s coming to ya!” an angry voice shouts. Your eyes close, and you die. There doesn’t seem to be a button to reset the game.

I’ve played through a variety of games and tech demos for the Oculus Rift, but Disunion, an experience in which you are beheaded by guillotine in a first person view, is by far the most disturbing. The characters in the game look like cardboard cut outs, and there is no blood. You don’t actually see your body. But you do get a chance to feel, in some small way, what it’s like to die.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been subbed for about 2 years and never even considered cancelling. Just being up to date (albeit occasionally a day behind) is worth it alone. You can also use the Xbox 360, PS3, iOS and Android apps so you're not tied to your computer to watch stuff. Plus the apps don't remind you of the existence of the forums and all the other stuff that's bad about the actual site.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

darkgray posted:

Colossal-kun is a well-known tsundere.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pimpmust posted:

getting rescued, horribly burned by acid and switching voice actor to Michael Ironside after a time jump.

Michael Ironside phonetically reading Japanese lines would indeed be the best thing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

darkgray posted:

Eren will never hit his head. He's got such a frickin'... such a tiny little head!

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do they not have any scouting parties like the nights of the watch do up at the wall :gameofthrones: ? Wouldn't it be wise to see where the giants come from.I'm sure the recon squad was mentioned to scout out beyond the wall . What's to stop humans from running into the woods forever?Monsters will magically pop up if they leave the city? Perhaps they are being kept there deliberately by someone controlling the giants, The Village style.

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 6, 2013

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I don't think you understand quite how many titans there are outside the walls, everywhere, at all times. And I think it's been touched on in the anime but titans have a kind of "human sense" that just kinda lets them know where humans are. Hence the "Bait Cities" which make the wall defensible. Probably not really spoiler worthy, but just in case.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I'm sure the recon squad was mentioned to scout out beyond the wall . What's to stop humans from running into the woods forever?Monsters will magically pop up if they leave the city?
The first episode shows what usually happens to the recon squad.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Regarding what happens to Eren even if he makes it out of the titan's belly alive, it seems to me that you don't really need legs to operate the 3D gear (other than balance issues, probably), and one good hand could be enough to deliver a killing strike, so he can still be badass even as a cripple.

As for the Titans, I really love it how they are basically engineered to be the biggest (literally and figuratively) possible assholes imaginable. There are a lot of stories were humanity is faced with a threat that is only a threat because it's existence is incompatible with ours, or even threats specifically engineered to destroy humanity but which operate on a set of realistic rules that make them internally consistent, but the Titans... Every single facet of their existence, every single thing that they do, or don't do, or do with limited efficiency, is just a huge "gently caress You" to humanity. Even their single weak spot exists just so humanity has some hope of defeating them, only to keep them struggling against the inevitable.

The BIGGEST assholes.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Do they not have any scouting parties like the nights of the watch do up at the wall :gameofthrones: ? Wouldn't it be wise to see where the giants come from.I'm sure the recon squad was mentioned to scout out beyond the wall . What's to stop humans from running into the woods forever?Monsters will magically pop up if they leave the city? Perhaps they are being kept there deliberately by someone controlling the giants, The Village style.

The Scouting Legion regularly go out to try and find out any information they can about Titans but as you saw in episode one, They usually come back with 80% less troops and those 20% that did survive escape by the skin of their teeth. Also it's not really an option to just ignore Titans and just go searching for the Titan source/other humans since Titans are capable of great speeds and agility, more than enough to catch up to horses. Using 3D gear to just stay up high is out of the question too since they'll use up all their gas within a week and then be even more vulnerable.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I think the most horrifying thing about the titans that's been revealed in the anime so far is that they don't actually need to eat humans (or anything for that matter), they really don't get a single thing out of it other than the act itself, yet it is the only thing they do or try to do.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
At first I was like "Ugh. So how is this giant issue a problem again? Huge targets, really loving slow, dumb as bags of bricks" You have cannons. Just go to work bitches.

Then they let you know that the fuckers regenerate in minutes, are not slow at loving all (the giant biting Erens leg off almost made me jump) and can only die if you hit them in the neck. So yeah. They don't really need to be smart.

e: I kinda like Eren, so I hope he sticks around. He lost an arm and a leg so far but if they can kill the giant they can probably cut him out of it. He could be a badass drill-instructor or something.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Waffleman_ posted:

Sasha will be the new main character.
I'm sorry, but this has to happen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think it'd be a lot easier for me to buy that Eren is dead or permanently crippled if they didn't show that flashback a few episodes ago with his father injecting him with something. Obviously something will eventually come out of that plot point! I haven't read the manga but between that and the key he was given (because the basement has a ~secret~) I'd be incredibly surprised if it doesn't lead to the revelation of some sort of secret anti-Titan weapon or something along those lines!

It probably would be more convincing if it happened to a side character, or if the show hadn't been painting Eren as the protagonist from the start

Srice fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 7, 2013

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Srice posted:

I think it'd be a lot easier for me to buy that Eren is dead or permanently crippled if they didn't show that flashback a few episodes ago with his father injecting him with something. Obviously something will eventually come out of that plot point! I haven't read the manga but between that and the key he was given (because the basement has a ~secret~) I'd be incredibly surprised if it doesn't lead to the revelation of some sort of secret anti-Titan weapon or something along those lines!

It probably would be more convincing if it happened to s side character, or if the show hadn't been painting Eren as the protagonist from the start

Yeah. I didn't forget about the key and super secret daddy lab basement thing either. As much as people say this show defies most stereotypes, Eren being The Chosen One is pretty much cemented. Here's to hoping it's something awesome though, like Eren taking a bite out of the titan from the inside and gaining ~*Magic Powers*~ or something.

This also sets Sasha up as the greatest hero of all time, forever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This show does not "defy most stereotypes". Tropes exist for a reason, and subverting them at all times makes for really terrible storytelling in the complete opposite direction of a by-the-numbers show.

Attack On Titan loves to subvert many expectations, that much is true. Just look at this episode and the reaction to it. Or how Hannes and Eren's mother acted in the very first episode, how many people probably expected Hannes to die heroically in a suicidal honor charge instead of have a moment of reality and chose cowardice and survival over fulfilling an obligation. Or Eren's mother losing her facade for a moment and begging not to be left behind despite KNOWING it would mean the end of her children and herself anyways. Showing base human nature is one of the best parts of the show.

That's the caliber of subversion you will see as the show continues, so if you thought episode 5 was great, boy you're in for a ride. :getin:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

User0015 posted:

This also sets Sasha up as the greatest hero of all time, forever.
Hmph, implying she wasn't already. :colbert:

I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the non-Sasha/non-main trio trainees so far, as briefly as we've seen them, and what roles you think they'll settle into. The ones that haven't been eaten, anyway.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Episode 5 is amazing, but something like killing Eren off is incredibly unlikely. On the other hand (:)), he's missing several important bits for Titan fighting. Hard to say exactly what daddy did, or maybe it's not so much that but the Titans themselves, and he's researched them far more than anyone else has. In either case, I'm not sure how they're going to deal with him torn to pieces like that. The one person who mentions the society they live in has a good point too. There is definitely something curious going on between the upper echelons of society and the military.

There's also the fact we've seen teleporting Titans, which is nothing short of advanced technology/magic, and considering their city architecture, I'm sure there's going to be some interesting reveals later on about not just the Titans, but that city and the people in general.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 7, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the non-Sasha/non-main trio trainees so far, as briefly as we've seen them, and what roles you think they'll settle into. The ones that haven't been eaten, anyway.

Honestly I haven't thought much of them. Jean is a stuck-up guy who just wants an easy life and...that's all I can really say about him?

The rest haven't even made enough of an impression on me to remember their names. This could easily change in the future of course, but for now it feels like they haven't gone past basic character traits for most of them. I don't feel this is inherently bad this early on though, especially when they're spending time developing the main trio, like how Mikasa is getting a flashback or something next episode.

In fact that's another reason I think that's a sure sign of Eren not being dead; he has gotten the majority of the character development thus far. It wouldn't make narrative sense to spend about a fifth of the series developing him just to randomly kill him off in that way.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 7, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aw not even Annie? I have had such a stupid fan-crush on her with both the manga and the anime (no spoilers here).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

mind the walrus posted:

Aw not even Annie? I have had such a stupid fan-crush on her with both the manga and the anime (no spoilers here).
I'm surprised Reiner scored higher than her given her attitude towards grades and also kicking his rear end during training.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jackard posted:

I'm surprised Reiner scored higher than her given her attitude towards grades and also kicking his rear end during training.

As she already explained in that episode, your hand-to-hand combat abilities aren't graded. She could kick his rear end and everyone else's rear end with the most amazing martial arts moves and it would count jack-poo poo towards her ranking.

As for her attitude towards grades, they probably marked her down because she was such an aloof loner and not a team player.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosephWongKS posted:

As she already explained in that episode, your hand-to-hand combat abilities aren't graded. She could kick his rear end and everyone else's rear end with the most amazing martial arts moves and it would count jack-poo poo towards her ranking.

As for her attitude towards grades, they probably marked her down because she was such an aloof loner and not a team player.

Couldn't have been that much of a mark down considering Eren didn't seem much affected by his vocal delusions of Titan genocide and repeatedly telling other cadets who don't want to join recon to get hosed. Unless all the higher ups just made a note in her personnel file, then let it slide because the clearly unhinged psycho was living to join the suicide squad anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

THEY ARE THE THIRST AND WE ARE THE QUENCHERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvyITR9MGs

Thoren
May 28, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

I've always wondered who would win in a hand to hand fight: Mikasa or Annie?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thoren posted:

I've always wondered who would win in a hand to hand fight: Mikasa or Annie?

Depends on whether Eren's involved. It's like the outcome of a fight involving John Cena depending on whether or not the odds are against him.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 7, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm backing Annie but I'd expect Mikasa to win in the end.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

User0015 posted:

As much as people say this show defies most stereotypes...

Yeah, people are repeating this too much. I just hope nobody gets false expectations and be disappointed when the show does play shonen tropes straight.

edit:

Srice posted:

Honestly I haven't thought much of them. Jean is a stuck-up guy who just wants an easy life and...that's all I can really say about him?

The rest haven't even made enough of an impression on me to remember their names. This could easily change in the future of course, but for now it feels like they haven't gone past basic character traits for most of them. I don't feel this is inherently bad this early on though, especially when they're spending time developing the main trio, like how Mikasa is getting a flashback or something next episode.

This is another point in the manga pacing's favor. The training flashbacks are meant to highlight and flesh out the side characters that you more or less know (about) already. Here in the anime the same scenes served as introduction to several new characters, so it's easier to ignore and forget about them since there's other more interesting stuff going on like Eren's training troubles and whatnot.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 7, 2013

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

HelloWinter posted:

I'm sorry, but this has to happen.

Since nobody seems to have commented on this yet, I will. You're awesome. This is awesome. :3: (Did you make these?)

Reading this thread is really great- somehow I haven't seen anyone randomly posting huge manga spoilers, which I thought for sure would happen with this kind of series. Of course, now that I've said it, someone's going to do exactly that, aren't they? :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

BrilliantFool posted:

Since nobody seems to have commented on this yet, I will. You're awesome. This is awesome. :3: (Did you make these?)

Reading this thread is really great- somehow I haven't seen anyone randomly posting huge manga spoilers, which I thought for sure would happen with this kind of series. Of course, now that I've said it, someone's going to do exactly that, aren't they? :(

If HelloWinter posts a super-cool art thing, she's usually the one who made it, because she is a super-cool art person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BrilliantFool posted:

Man wait until you find out it was a dream all along, and Eren is actually a mentally disturbed kid in a hospital who dreams that the doctors and other adults around him are man-eating titans

• Locked thread