Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh it's weird that I would think the SB index would be more curated than most. Guess not!

I'm pretty sure the SB index is just Newznab without the other groups. I don't think there's really any curating going on other than maybe some better regexp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Sub Rosa posted:

It does for me. Since the new file gets renamed to the same thing as the old file, it ends up replacing it. I'm guessing you use release specific information in the renaming scheme?

Ah, I don't have SABnzbd renaming downloads for me. Would that be the issue?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh it's weird that I would think the SB index would be more curated than most. Guess not!

It can't be detected by the tracker. Usually it sorts the files on some scoring metric that weighs bitrate and resolution versus size. If the rar is password protected it will get devalued. However if the passworded rar is inside the first it can't detect it. poo poo gets put up on Usenet faster than someone could ever curate it so it's all automated. If someone bitches it likely gets yanked.

Edit: Nzb.su is actually taking bitcoins for donations. It takes what? 9 bucks to process the bitcoin transaction which is ridiculous. Your donation starts at 9 bucks lost to some libertarian moron before you can donate.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 1, 2013

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
Where do you get 9 bucks from ? It's like 10 cents possibly less. Bitcoin is moronic but I dont understand why a wave of people seem convinced it costs some absurd amount to process one transaction.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Keito posted:

Yes, but it's not so weird considering that the indexing is automated. Scammers pack encrypted RARs inside RARs to evade being filtered out.

What exactly is the scam? I just end up with a file I've downloaded that I can't access. At least when there were password protected torrents there'd be a file that tells me what forum I need to register at to get the password. Unless SAB is ignoring those files that explain how to get the password?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FISHMANPET posted:

What exactly is the scam? I just end up with a file I've downloaded that I can't access. At least when there were password protected torrents there'd be a file that tells me what forum I need to register at to get the password. Unless SAB is ignoring those files that explain how to get the password?

The scam is when they try to make people pay for the password. You also can't know what's really in the archives before decryption, I've seen several of these sketchy uploads that definitely could not be what the file names implied.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

It's the same thing. The first rar contains a password.txt file and then the password encrypted rar. So you end up with password.txt and encrypted.rar

Open the password.txt file and there's generally some sort of bit.ly link taking you to someplace that asks you to sign up to win an X-Box 720 so that you can get the password all the while some flash exploit is quietly infecting your computer.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Earlier this morning, SickBeard grabbed an .nzb for a certain TV show that contained an executable, I'm assuming some virus or adware crap. I didn't open it, but it was very creative; the icon was identical to the standard Windows folder icon. Looking at the indexer where that was downloaded, it appears there are several other shows with similar issues.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've got all my tv shows on my NAS and I have sickbeard on my PC. Is there a way I can have sickbeard see the NAS folders without having to mount the drives? The problem with using the mounted drives is that windows will try to connect to the drives before the network connection is even made so windows will say the drive is missing. I even made a batch file to remove and then reconnect the drives on bootup but that still doesn't work all the time.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

To stop the mounting before network issue I have this .bat file in my startup folder, and it works consistently.

code:
timeout /t 5 /nobreak > NUL
net use Z: \\[server]\[share] /persistent:no
net use Y: \\[server]\[share] /persistent:no 

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Did anyone else get "If you read this, you are awesome" upon upgrading Couch Potato Server?

:unsmith:

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.

FISHMANPET posted:

Often times the scam involves a "click here to download the password" link, which takes you to something like http://sharecash.org/, and they get paid for every download they get.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
He gets the scam element. It's that he sometimes winds up with a time-wasting encrypted archive set without the scam link which makes a person wonder why someone would upload junk data of no use to themselves or others.
Junk files were once a bothersome tactic of MPAA and RIAA on P2P networks, but they're hardly even an inconvenience to SABnzbd today.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Some groups are invite or pay only, they password the files. I don't know what they gain from doing this, though, since it's not like they're hiding the file names.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
If the groups are pay only it's not too difficult to understand what they are gaining from it, is it? Same for invite only stuff except replace money with e-peen/circlejerking. It doesn't matter if they hide file names or not because the unprivileged masses aren't getting access to the content anyway.

As for the junk files thing from P2P networks hardly being a problem, I would be inclined to disagree. There's so much crap being uploaded for every legit thing on Usenet, and while most of it is easy to spot and automatically filter out, the encrypted archives are beginning to poo poo things up pretty good. A certain popular series is being hit with these kinds of files every week before the real deal shows up, effectively knocking out sickbeard's automatization since it just snatches the first upload it finds and lacks the system couchpotato utilizes to try another one if the process fails. It's still a minor inconvenience, sure, but if the scammers/media organizations started using these tactics more widely, I'm sure it'd make enough casual users pay up/give up on Usenet. (Or hopefully force the sickbeard developers to improve their software before it gets to that point.)

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

bort posted:

Did anyone else get "If you read this, you are awesome" upon upgrading Couch Potato Server?
Yeah, kinda hard to miss the red-on-grey popup. I like the polish he put on the interface in this latest version.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Keito posted:

If the groups are pay only it's not too difficult to understand what they are gaining from it, is it? Same for invite only stuff except replace money with e-peen/circlejerking. It doesn't matter if they hide file names or not because the unprivileged masses aren't getting access to the content anyway.

But why would you pay for it when another release group is doing the exact same thing for free and it's still just as subject to DMCA takedown.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

But why would you pay for it when another release group is doing the exact same thing for free and it's still just as subject to DMCA takedown.

I sure wouldn't pay, but I also don't doubt that there are enough stupid users out there for groups to make a profit.

Jaketeck
Jul 6, 2004

<3 Robots

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Exactly. If its a pay or invite only thing it would make more sense for them to obscure the title. Avoid take-downs and all that.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.thecubenet.com/ (appears to be highwinds reseller) seems to be having a decent sale

25 GB 2.99
100 GB 8.99
250 GB 19.99

22 hours left as per the clock.

Already fitting in nicely with my supernews account.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

There's at least one site out there that is a legitimate cross between torrents and usenet, since users post NZBs. I've been told that you can't automate it like with SB/CP but due to naming files with random names/encrypted RARs, the retention is overall much longer.

Its not exactly something I'm interested in otherwise I'd seek an invite.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's very annoying especially since I rely on block accounts to download 95+% of something only to have it end up a failed unrepairable download.

Is there any easy way to just download the parts I need (479 blocks in this case) when it's reposted instead of grabbing the whole drat thing over again?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thauros posted:

It's very annoying especially since I rely on block accounts to download 95+% of something only to have it end up a failed unrepairable download.

Is there any easy way to just download the parts I need (479 blocks in this case) when it's reposted instead of grabbing the whole drat thing over again?

Doesn't SabNZBD do that by default? As long as you've configured your block accounts as backup servers, it will only use those for articles that it can't find on the normal non backup servers (which should be your unlimited account).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Doesn't SabNZBD do that by default? As long as you've configured your block accounts as backup servers, it will only use those for articles that it can't find on the normal non backup servers (which should be your unlimited account).

I don't have an unlimited account. My newsgroupdirect block account is my primary and my mostly spent blocknews block account is my backup. I downloaded 20 GB from my primary last month, so I definitely save money this way, but it's still annoying to waste my bandwidth re downloading something I mostly have.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is your backup configured as a backup? It should grab everything from the non-backup servers, and only pull from backup the articles that aren't in your primary server.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
Any more GoonZB updates? Just wondering how the authentication/payment system is going, and how the alpha testing is working out.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Thauros posted:

Check your files in Quickpar, delete or add .1 to the end of files missing the largest number of blocks that you would want to redownload, pause SABnzbd, add an identical repost to your queue, click on this repost in SABnzbd, click the checkboxes on the few files you deleted, invert selection, delete, move the files you have from your previous download to the new repost directory, and unpause SABnzbd.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hogburto posted:

Check your files in Quickpar, delete or add .1 to the end of files missing the largest number of blocks that you would want to redownload, pause SABnzbd, add an identical repost to your queue, click on this repost in SABnzbd, click the checkboxes on the few files you deleted, invert selection, delete, move the files you have from your previous download to the new repost directory, and unpause SABnzbd.

Buuuut, Sickbeard does this by default, right? It will only download articles on backup servers that it can't find on primary servers. It won't try and redownload the whole thing.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Yes, back-up servers only grab what blocks get missed from the primary servers. He already has his servers configured and something still failed. What he is trying to do is complete the partial set he already has with the help of an entirely different repost of the same material.

Ya know what, Thauros, click the retry button (if it's available) and add the repost NZB there. The only time I ever tried it it didn't work, but see if SABnzbd is smart enough to only grab the missing blocks without the manual work. I suspect it will still require manual deletion of undesirable (mostly incomplete) files, but let's find out.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks for the help Hogburto, and yeah, compelting a partial set with a repost is exactly what I was attempting to do.

The repost worked fine for me fortunately, but I'm definitely trying that the next time it inevitably happens to save my block allotment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, retry + upload supplemental NZB is a good way to go. Or if you're downloading a repost but only certain files, pause the queue, load the NZB, click on it, delete the files you don't want, change the processing method to download (instead of unpack, repair, or delete, because none of this will work) and then manually merge the two sets of files and verify/repair with QuickPar or par2cmdline.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
A popular TV show recently has been downloading archives with different names than expected (39816729.r01 etc), quickpar gui renames everything and rebuilts from par files, but the command line one in SAB doesn't seem to do anything with it.

Is this common or mainly with me?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GateheaD posted:

A popular TV show recently has been downloading archives with different names than expected (39816729.r01 etc), quickpar gui renames everything and rebuilts from par files, but the command line one in SAB doesn't seem to do anything with it.

Are you on the latest version of SAB?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

EC posted:

Are you on the latest version of SAB?

Yeah, I had this same problem in .7.2, and then when I updated to .7.11 it was fixed. I think looking through the changelogs, it got fixed in .7.9.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

GateheaD posted:

This is normal. If the files of a set are renamed after the parity files are already generated, the filenames in the parity files won't match the filenames in the directory and most par2 programs aren't smart enough to identify and correctly rename other files in the directory. QuickPar rules.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
7.3 here, I'll try 7.11 now.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Is AstraWeb slow to a crawl today for anyone else? Connection jumps to only 60k and then caves to 0k or like 1k. Thinking FIOS might have changed something.

Untagged fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 8, 2013

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Supernews has been slow for me on Fios also.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there a good solution for Couchpotato with the very long names it can give NZBs? My download folder is very close to the base of the drive and yet I have had a couple nzbs fail to even start because the names get so long that windows cannot handle it. I figured I could fix that by making the name shorter in sabnzbd, however CP's renamer/mover searches the folders for the exact filename that CP sent to sabnzbd which means if the name got cut short CP will not see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Drevoak posted:

Is there a good solution for Couchpotato with the very long names it can give NZBs?
That's a pickle. If CP doesn't seem to play nice with folder_max_length at the moment, does that make this a bug report or a feature request?