Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I also have that Narvik class kit I think. Revell IIRC? I've been tempted to do similar with a Pz38H35f too, since I started collecting WoT stuff in 15mil ages back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also hand-painted the engine-transmission unit a steel color. Looking at online resources, I couldn't figure out if there were any special colors for the engine block - it almost looked like AMC painted the engine block a body color. Anybody know what's correct?

AMC Engine Blue

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

space pope posted:

I finally finished a few kits the last few weeks. Here is a 1/49 Monogram Mosquito that I made as a night-fighter.

Some Microset and Microsol would really help those decals conform to the panel lines and stick to the model. I haven't tried this yet, but here is an interesting method of using enamel washes and very thin coats airbrushed on to tone down the bright colors and contrast of decals and make them look a lot more natural:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/Su27/day24.htm

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Thanks, the tips on the decals look really good.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrYenko posted:

AMC Engine Blue

This looks really similar to Oldsmobile Engine Blue, which Testors has available.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This looks really similar to Oldsmobile Engine Blue, which Testors has available.

Thanks guys. Did manufacturers at one time all have their own custom engine block colors?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thanks guys. Did manufacturers at one time all have their own custom engine block colors?

I'm pretty sure. Chevrolet used Chevrolet Orange, of course; Chrysler had Hemi Orange, Pontiac Blue, Olds Blue, Cadillac (Dark) Blue, they all had specific colors, but they didn't all paint ALL of their engines that way. Lots of engines were just high-temp black.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Arquinsiel posted:

I also have that Narvik class kit I think. Revell IIRC? I've been tempted to do similar with a Pz38H35f too, since I started collecting WoT stuff in 15mil ages back.

As a I scale modeller & someone who loves some of the odder tanks of this world I probably shouldn't play WoT; it gives me so many ideas..

That being said, I am kit bashing a M3 Stuart into a T18. World of Tanks :argh:

space pope posted:

Two pack of Pz38H735f Tanks. I painted them gold because I used to play World of Tanks and the tank was initially only available if you bought it using in-game gold. It was a great way to grief players.

According to a 100% accurate and legitimate historical documentary I watched, plating tanks with gold makes them extra powerful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if this fits this thread because it's stuff made from scratch, but this persons work is loving awesome.

http://juzala.prosite.com/129969/1232916/works/sfm-6x2009010-5

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have a good basic painting guide? I finished up this P-47 I was working on and was disappointed with how some of it came out. Particularly the silver and the fact that regular masking and painter's tape didn't work out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know if this fits this thread because it's stuff made from scratch, but this persons work is loving awesome.

http://juzala.prosite.com/129969/1232916/works/sfm-6x2009010-5

Those are pretty good except for the weird naked ladies in couple.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Deeters posted:

Does anyone have a good basic painting guide? I finished up this P-47 I was working on and was disappointed with how some of it came out. Particularly the silver and the fact that regular masking and painter's tape didn't work out.

I learned a magic trick with tape not long ago that works incredibly well. Tape as usual, then take a brush and put some Future over it. The Future seals the tape, and when you peel the tape away, the Future is invisible.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone know of a source for Fujimi kits in the USA? Don't wanna pay insane shipping rates from Japan. Looking for cars specifically.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

George Zimmer posted:

Anyone know of a source for Fujimi kits in the USA? Don't wanna pay insane shipping rates from Japan. Looking for cars specifically.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Cool, thanks!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So my dad, on a whim, bought and had shipped to me a master brand air brush (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...master+airbrush)

We had an awesome workshop/unfinished basement when I was growing up to work in. It has been years since I built a model, let alone painted, let alone airbrushed. What ratio should I use to thin the paint? What should I thin it with? then I take it paint thinner on the backside to clean it? Also, most importantly, can I do it inside? My office has my workbench in it, I figured I could move it over by the window and set up a box fan exhausting air, and also wear a mask. Will that be enough or will I basically be fumigating my room? I have to head to the local hobby shop for some RC parts tomorrow so I'm gonna check out their paint and model selection. I wish I had paid more attention when learning cause most of the paint maintenance stuff my dad just handled.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

So my dad, on a whim, bought and had shipped to me a master brand air brush (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...master+airbrush)

We had an awesome workshop/unfinished basement when I was growing up to work in. It has been years since I built a model, let alone painted, let alone airbrushed. What ratio should I use to thin the paint? What should I thin it with? then I take it paint thinner on the backside to clean it? Also, most importantly, can I do it inside? My office has my workbench in it, I figured I could move it over by the window and set up a box fan exhausting air, and also wear a mask. Will that be enough or will I basically be fumigating my room? I have to head to the local hobby shop for some RC parts tomorrow so I'm gonna check out their paint and model selection. I wish I had paid more attention when learning cause most of the paint maintenance stuff my dad just handled.

What type of paint are you spraying? Different paints thin with different thinners. For acrylics, I just use water. I've used denatured alcohol before in the past with good results as well. I typically don't have a set ratio of thinner/paint, but a rule of thumb I go by is the consistency of milk. I try to spray as thick as I can. If you're spraying acrylics, you won't have to worry about fumes. Enamels or lacquers, however, you most certainly will. Be sure to use a respirator, not a dust mask.

Just finished this one up today:

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 5, 2013

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Well I don't really know what type of paint to use. It's pretty humid here (florida) so I'm going to go with acrylics and ventilate the gently caress out of my office. I'm going to the hobbyshop now so I'm going to be getting a ton of paint and I guess primer too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bob A Feet posted:

Well I don't really know what type of paint to use. It's pretty humid here (florida) so I'm going to go with acrylics and ventilate the gently caress out of my office. I'm going to the hobbyshop now so I'm going to be getting a ton of paint and I guess primer too.

If you're going to use acrylics in very hot and humid environments, grab a bottle of retarder as well and add a drop or two of that to your paint well or airbrush. Will stop the paint drying too quickly on you.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I did something completely different, and built a truck instead of a tank.

It's a Zvezda ZiS-5V, with some Tamiya accessories and two unrelated figures. The truck did come with a driver figure, which you can either position as inside the truck, or standing and bent over.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

How was that to build?

GOt one in work and had a few people looking but it's not sold.

People are still unsure on Zvezda even though everyone I know who has built there stuff raves about the quality for the price.

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013
Been reading these forums for years and this is the first time i've noticed a modeling thread here.

Anyway. Managed to finish this in the weekend:

There are some more pictures over here in case anyone's interested:

http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_11609/

A bonus pic of my last project. Russians make the meanest looking modern war machines:

Overdude fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 5, 2013

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mehall posted:

How was that to build?

GOt one in work and had a few people looking but it's not sold.

People are still unsure on Zvezda even though everyone I know who has built there stuff raves about the quality for the price.

I've never had complaints about Zvezda's quality. Their very earliest kits (Red Army Infantry #1 and #2, Red Army Tank Crew) have a lot of flash plastic and generally show their age, but a little work with a file, and they look pretty good, about the same as older Tamiya kits. Modern Zvezda is top notch. Like you said, Zvezda kits are generally very cheap, even the ones that come with a little photo-etch. They don't have link to link tracks, but vinyl works for me too.

They also have a lot of subject matter you won't find anywhere else, at least in 1:35.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Well I just got back from the hobby shop. Thank you Revell for putting only half the paint requirements on the outside of the box of the model I bought (Bell X-1), so now I can only paint half of it. Luckily, I got the most important color needed-- orange, and I think I got most of the cockpit colors as well. Goddamn though these things take a lot of paint.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Overdude posted:

A bonus pic of my last project. Russians make the meanest looking modern war machines:

I love the camo job...did you highlight the edges of the green patches with brown?

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013
Nah. The green patches are just a couple of different shades of Tamiya's Field Grey.

Here's a Panzer III M I made that has the same color for Green but with brown highlights around the edges.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
This looks loving awesome and I'm really tempted to get one.

http://www.hlj.com/product/aos04928

Just look at all that sweet poo poo you get with.

quote:

Another great forklift kit from Aoshima! This cool model of the Toyota L&F Geneo 25 forklift in service at a fish market is very nicely detailed and includes 10 Skipjack Tuna fish, one large and one small frozen fish container, a guard rail, your choice of long or normal lifting forks, a propane gas kit, one driver figure (with choice of heads), and decals.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat wanna model some tuna lifting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

God drat wanna model some tuna lifting

Yeah, that's what she said.

This is pretty meta:
http://robot4less.com/gundam/others/bandai-injection-machine-160

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That looks real nice! Did you use any of the tips from this site? He has a lot of nice techniques that I'd like to dip my toes into and am wondering if you had used his tips and had any thoughts about them.

A Hind is on my wish list after I gain some more skill and confidence from my 25 year hiatus of model building. Who made that kit you did and what scale is it? Was it a good kit, or would you have gone with a different one if you had to do it all over again? I'm looking at this 1/48 kit and am wondering if it is a good kit or if it is just an exercise in frustration. From my foggy memory of the 80s, it seemed like Monogram were the good kits and Revell were crap, but now they are the same company and I don't know what to think.

[/quote]

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

That looks real nice! Did you use any of the tips from this site? He has a lot of nice techniques that I'd like to dip my toes into and am wondering if you had used his tips and had any thoughts about them.

A Hind is on my wish list after I gain some more skill and confidence from my 25 year hiatus of model building. Who made that kit you did and what scale is it? Was it a good kit, or would you have gone with a different one if you had to do it all over again? I'm looking at this 1/48 kit and am wondering if it is a good kit or if it is just an exercise in frustration. From my foggy memory of the 80s, it seemed like Monogram were the good kits and Revell were crap, but now they are the same company and I don't know what to think.

[/quote]

The Flanker I did is in 1/48 scale and the one on the site is 1/32 but he pretty much used all the techniques I did on mine, except I painted the metal parts of the engines with pigments (silver, gun metal, burnt blue, rust) instead of alclad paints. The Flanker is a pretty big model in 1/48 scale. 1/32, although awesome is pretty loving huge since the SU-27 isn't a small plane to begin with. Wouldn't even have the shelf space for that thing.

The Hind is the old 1/48 model from Revell/Monogram (same one you linked) from 1986. I believe it's still is the only available option in this scale. Trumpeter made a nice one in 1/32 (again, don't have the room) and there are plenty of models of the thing in 1/72 (even the early Hind-A model).

It's a pretty nice model although it does show it's age. The cockpit is pretty sparsely detailed and not 100% accurate, although it does come with those neat orange little fans for air conditioning. I also had a lot of problems gluing the two fuselage parts together. Lots of putty and sanding went into that one before they fit into place. I also would have liked some different options for the weapons. If you don't want the 57mm rocket pods on the thing you'd have to buy some aftermarket parts for it. Other than that I don't have any major complaints.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

It's apparently a rebox of an old monogram kit. Raised panel lines. Minor shape and detail errors. Fun to build, according to the reviews I saw. I haven't touched or looked at the model though.

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews2/aircraft/kits/revell_48_hind/revell_48_hind.htm

fake edit: I know Overdude posted while I was writing this, but the link above has a few in-progress shots so you can see the nice cockpit.

if you want 1/72 scale you can get one from Zvesda, Italeri, or Hobby boss

Overdude
Mar 8, 2013

Jonny Nox posted:

if you want 1/72 scale you can get one from Zvesda, Italeri, or Hobby boss

The Zvezda ones are definately the ones to get if you want to buy a Hind in 1/72 scale. They have pretty much all the variants too. I've built the Hobby Boss one and it's pretty good as well. A bit lacking in some details, except the cockpit which is pretty nice. It also comes with pretty much every weapon system the Hind ever carried except the chemical ones.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Just a short update, I haven't been able to add the colors and features that I've wanted due to both my PSU and SSD burning out, which killed my momentum.
In any case, what I was able to do instead, was create an online version of Scale Model Helper, as well as a blog that I will be posting further updates on rather than bother the forums on every little update.
Let me know what you think.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SkunkDuster posted:

[/quote]

I've actually built that one. It has problems - while most of it goes together alright, engine cowling was a nightmare to get right. Also, I don't think they put much thought into having the canopy doors closed instead of open - I remember breaking out the putty a fair bit to get a correct fit.

fake e: what I said two years ago about it:

This model was cheap, as I said, (from the 'american' revell) and you can really tell. I got metric tons of practice erasing lines and filling gaps with putty. Weirdly, it was much harder to assemble then previous models because it was much more poorly made. The upper part above the cockpit with the engine intakes was particularly bad and looked hideous out of the box. The winglets, too, broke many times during assembly. Main problem was that lots of fittings had no way to attach aside from glue.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GreenDragon42 posted:

Just a short update, I haven't been able to add the colors and features that I've wanted due to both my PSU and SSD burning out, which killed my momentum.
In any case, what I was able to do instead, was create an online version of Scale Model Helper, as well as a blog that I will be posting further updates on rather than bother the forums on every little update.
Let me know what you think.

This is extremely nice little widget you've made. I can already see myself using it to figure out Revell Germany's paint guides.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Since we're on helicopter-chat, can anyone recommend any nice Little Bird kits? I've never built a helicopter kit, but I've always been a fan of the Little Bird.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I know they're rarer than Hen's teeth in 1/72 scale, but that's all the help I can offer I'm afraid.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
I think Academy and Tamiya makes a few in 1/72 and 1/48 scale, here are some links I found:

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=AC%201691
http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA%2060709

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Heh, nothing serious, a guy has a train diorama in his room... Oh wait... :aaaaa: