Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Vegastar posted:

Another Michigoon, or just coincidence? If so, that makes 3 of us here in the retro game thread, which is pretty cool.

Where about in Michigan is this place? I grew up there, and we had the scummiest retro gaming place. Guy tried to sell a top loader NES as some rare chine pirate whatever to my friend for hundreds of dollars.

Kinda curious if its the same place. Is it by a subway and a meijer? (Or... Was 4 or so years ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

WendigoJohnson posted:

Is it any different than the Xbox version? Because I have that.
The Dreamcast version of Shenmue II has the original Japanese voice acting, which is quite a bit better than the English dub. The voice acting still isn't great, really, but it's less awful at least. If you have the PAL version of Shenmue, you can also import your save into Shenmue II but that's not really worth it.

The Xbox version looks better and runs smoother as well, so if you already have that there's no real reason to get the Dreamcast version unless you're a big fan and/or want the original voices.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sorry. Could only take cash for it.

How much?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The Dreamcast version of Shenmue II has the original Japanese voice acting, which is quite a bit better than the English dub. The voice acting still isn't great, really, but it's less awful at least. If you have the PAL version of Shenmue, you can also import your save into Shenmue II but that's not really worth it.

What are you talking about it's totally worth it. You get to carry over all the batteries and capsule toys you bought!

You could use the Dream Explorer disc and import someone else's save. Also unlock those hidden 40 blocks on your VMU so you can fit your Shenmue saves snugly with another game save.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

What are you talking about it's totally worth it. You get to carry over all the batteries and capsule toys you bought!
I didn't really collect that many capsule toys in Shenmue 1 (I know, I'm a terrible person and I'm playing this completely wrong), so not importing my save would have given me a lot more of them to sell early on. Of course importing your save also gives you all the money you had, so you'll most likely have at least 1000 HK$ instead of 500 to blow on totally legit Zuppo lighters at the start of the game, and you can then sell those instead.

One of the sidequests is also available only at the start of March, so I can't do it on my current playthrough unless I screw around for a month because my imported game started in January instead of late February.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I have almost every SMT game ever now. It's nearing close to completion, but it seems like I need a PSX version of the other half of Persona 2.

You don't need a PSX for the other half of Persona 2, you need a PSP.

There's a PSP version of the half of Persona 2 that we got when it first came out, too, but it was released last year and it's really unlikely that we're going to get that remake.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

Same card'll work fine. At least, I've not experienced any problems, and I played through Rez.

I think this kind of info is worth a write-up.

From my experience, the following systems have region-free memory cards:

Playstation 1
Playstation 2
Dreamcast

The following system does NOT have region-free memory cards so you'll need a separate one for your U.S. saves and Japanese saves:

Nintendo Gamecube (also applies to the Wii if you're playing Gamecube games and using a memory card).

If you have the wrong region memory card in it'll ask you to format it when you start your game so BE CAREFUL!

Now another interesting gotcha is in the case of games that interact with saves that aren't their own, for instance Psycho Mantis scanning your memory card in the Metal Gear Solid games, or games that can import data from previous franchises. Pretty much universally these games expect same-region versions of the saves and won't recognize data from different regions; I'm not aware of any exceptions to this rule.

Generally, there are three regions: Japan/Asia, United States/Canada, and PAL-based territories like Europe, Australia and New Zealand. The PS2 and PS3 have a metric fuckton of SKUs worldwide to accomodate for the various DVD and Blu-ray regions, and some systems may have a region separation between Japan and the rest of Southeast Asia (e.g. PS2 has I think a separate code for South Korea), but otherwise it's almost universally those three regions.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I have almost every SMT game ever now. It's nearing close to completion, but it seems like I need a PSX version of the other half of Persona 2.

I also need to find good box art scans for SMT 1 and SMT if... for the Super Famicom. I'd like them to be able to fit the Universal Game Case eventually.

I'm also been playing through the Trinity of Kojima Saturn games.

I'm always tempted to see how well the rosetta stone works for learning a second language, but then someone already made an English guide for almost every game out there.

Sup SMT collecting bro

I didn't go for the JP releases because I can't read Japanese. I do however have P1-P4 on my Vita and I don't really see the point in owning two copies of something. Also you're missing Revelations: The Demon Slayer for GBC :colbert:

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yes in fact I live in a state with over 7% sales tax. However the bill has vague enough wording that would possibly allow shipping charges to also be taxed. It's still being disputed by a lot of companies which could mean a repeal is possible.

You do realize the House still has to take up this bill and then it faces even longer odds, right?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Managed to score a Gyromite with Famicom adapter for 5 bucks last night from the local shop. They didn't know what they had, apparently. Anybody have a list of cheap but good Famicom games that should be imported, which can be played without any real understanding of Japanese?

Also, from what I can tell, I'm basically going to need to dremel down the sides of the adapter to fit inside the slot of the Famicom carts. Is there any other work that needs to be done to use this sort of thing with a toaster? I'm concerned that it might get stuck inside the console when I try to remove the cart.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I didn't really collect that many capsule toys in Shenmue 1 (I know, I'm a terrible person and I'm playing this completely wrong), so not importing my save would have given me a lot more of them to sell early on. Of course importing your save also gives you all the money you had, so you'll most likely have at least 1000 HK$ instead of 500 to blow on totally legit Zuppo lighters at the start of the game, and you can then sell those instead.

One of the sidequests is also available only at the start of March, so I can't do it on my current playthrough unless I screw around for a month because my imported game started in January instead of late February.

Don't you immediately lose all of your money at the very start of S2? That irritating kid runs off with it. You get your precious, precious toys back but not all the money you got from spending days essentially stealing an infinite succession of envelopes from the dresser in the hall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lenoon posted:

Don't you immediately lose all of your money at the very start of S2? That irritating kid runs off with it. You get your precious, precious toys back but not all the money you got from spending days essentially stealing an infinite succession of envelopes from the dresser in the hall.

The trick he's talking about is to blow all your money on capsule toys and knick-knacks on the docks, then sell them off after the kid robs you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

iastudent thanks for your copy of Virus and Quest for GBC. The package actually came ripped (with a red stamp from the USPS saying package was damaged) but since you wrapped the games in bubble wrap, they didn't fall out or anything.

I'm gonna try to go through my boxes and find some stuff to trade you guys and hopefully finish my N64 collection.

So if anyone has N64 boxes/manuals, or the last 10 games I need (I mentioned them in a previous post, it's a pastebin link) hit me up with a message and I'll let you know what I have. or if there's something you want me to specifically look for.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

G-Prime posted:

Managed to score a Gyromite with Famicom adapter for 5 bucks last night from the local shop. They didn't know what they had, apparently. Anybody have a list of cheap but good Famicom games that should be imported, which can be played without any real understanding of Japanese?

Also, from what I can tell, I'm basically going to need to dremel down the sides of the adapter to fit inside the slot of the Famicom carts. Is there any other work that needs to be done to use this sort of thing with a toaster? I'm concerned that it might get stuck inside the console when I try to remove the cart.

If someone could post a good guide, that would be awesome, but yes you need to attach a ribbon so you can pull it out of the NES.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The trick is to blow all your money on capsule toys and never sell them.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

iastudent thanks for your copy of Virus and Quest for GBC. The package actually came ripped (with a red stamp from the USPS saying package was damaged) but since you wrapped the games in bubble wrap, they didn't fall out or anything.

I'm glad to hear they arrived safe, and the same goes to anyone else I've mailed out games to!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

A mysterious package from Canada arrived yesterday... inside was:

Thanks Doug Dinsdale! The Square 1999 TGS guide had me all misty eyed.

elf help book posted:

The trick is to blow all your money on capsule toys and never sell them.

This is how I live my life.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Most of my stuff is interstate, but here's an old picture (2010) of my SMT collection and an up-to-date list of what I have. Lacking any Devil Survivor stuff because I loving hated it.

The only other 'one series' collection I have nearing that is Armored Core, where I have every PAL release aside from AC2 Another Age, Ninebreaker, AC4 and Formula Front. Then I guess I just have to get the US versions of Project Phantasma and Master of Arena, and Verdict Day when that hits :retrogames: :v: :retrogames:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Thinking about it, I probably won't play Shenmue 2 ever again, does anyone want it in exchange for some other DC games?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I love it when people do focused collections like all SMT games.

It's more meaningful than collecting every NES game.

I'm working on collecting every N64 game as most fo you know, but I'm close to finishing a From Software collection which covers Armored Core, King's Field, Shadow Tower, Echo Night and Dark/Demon's Souls series. I'll post a pic of it tonight. Next I might do Treasure.

I will always treasure my King's Field Dark Side box, and hopefully one day I can buy an Armored Core Machine Side box.

Most of the stuff I'm missing is the PSX games and The Adventures of Cookie and Cream.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 7, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The trick he's talking about is to blow all your money on capsule toys and knick-knacks on the docks, then sell them off after the kid robs you.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Literally the best way to start Shenmue II.

The best part of the whole thing is Ryo's reaction when he gets the bag back. "The money's gone! :saddowns:"

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 7, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

I love it when people do focused collections like all SMT games.

It's more meaningful than collecting every NES game.

I'm working on collecting every N64 game as most fo you know, but I'm close to finishing a From Software collection which covers Armored Core, King's Field, Shadow Tower, Echo Night and Dark/Demon's Souls series. I'll post a pic of it tonight. Next I might do Treasure.

I will always treasure my King's Field Dark Side box, and hopefully one day I can buy an Armored Core Machine Side box.

Most of the stuff I'm missing is the PSX games and The Adventures of Cookie and Cream.

My little focused collection is to get all the official Gold-coloured controllers, just because I can. I've got the Wii ones (Wiimote, nunchuk and classic controller pro) and PS3 controller, just need the N64 one and to somehow get ahold of a C-3PO Xbox-360 on its own without costing me an arm and a leg.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My little focused collection is to get all the official Gold-coloured controllers, just because I can. I've got the Wii ones (Wiimote, nunchuk and classic controller pro) and PS3 controller, just need the N64 one and to somehow get ahold of a C-3PO Xbox-360 on its own without costing me an arm and a leg.

You're missing the gold wheel for wii :shepface:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

If someone could post a good guide, that would be awesome, but yes you need to attach a ribbon so you can pull it out of the NES.

A guide of good English friendly Famicom games or a guide on how to make a NES converter cart?

If it's the first then I'll start working on a big post (but there are a ton of Fami games and I don't like a lot of genres so someone else make one too) but if it's the latter pop open your HES cart and measure down to around where the Fami->NES converter's connector is. You should saw it off a little above to fir the bottom part of a NES cart that's slightly more narrow.

For the short period of time where I only had my friend's NES and a converter cart and no Fami I did that and then took some extra strong string, made two holes and whatever i'll just draw it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

flyboi posted:

You're missing the gold wheel for wii :shepface:

It's only an accessory, not a controller, so it doesn't count. That's what I keep telling myself to keep from blowing $50 on one, anyway :shepface:. There isn't a gold Dreamcast controller is there? There's a hell of a lot of variants that I've seen, but I don't think there's a gold one.

And that's probably for the best for my wallet anyways.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can't wait for the slippery slope and you get gold colored systems. Then gold carts.

Gold Game Boy Light, Gold N64, Gold GBASP, Gold DS, Gold Game Boy Camera :shepface:

Heck, on the gameboys, the controllers are the systems so now I guess you've gotta get them or else your gold collection will never be complete!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Ineffiable posted:

Can't wait for the slippery slope and you get gold colored systems. Then gold carts.

Gold Game Boy Light, Gold N64, Gold GBASP, Gold DS, Gold Game Boy Camera :shepface:

Heck, on the gameboys, the controllers are the systems so now I guess you've gotta get them or else your gold collection will never be complete!

And then you'll have to break in to the Queen of England's vaults and steal that gold wii. I smell a National Treasure sequel coming on

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

No, NO! That way lies madness. Golden, shiny madness.

I tend to be practical with buying consoles anyway - I generally just buy one to play games on, rather than for the machine itself. My only exception is going to be a 3DSXL, simply because it's such a huge difference in screen size and improvements. And for once, I'm waiting for a special edition version of it that I like (C'mon SMT:IV version, come to the EU or Australia...:pray:), since I always miss out because I buy the standard launch version.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ineffiable posted:

Jesus man, what did he ever do to you? I can't imagine why you're trying to ruin his life by pointing that out!

The next project should be 24k gold-plated official controllers, obviously.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
The lack of shipping to Canada on most eBay auctions is killing me right now. I want to complete my Genesis Konami subset :/

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

Jesus man, what did he ever do to you? I can't imagine why you're trying to ruin his life by pointing that out!

Don't be absurd. It would be much easier to apply gold leaf to an existing controller.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

His collection won't be complete without this:

I've just discovered that there's quite a few companies that will "bling" your controllers.

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/astro-gaming-taking-pre-orders-for-the-gold-edition/ is one example.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

His collection won't be complete without this:

I've just discovered that there's quite a few companies that will "bling" your controllers.

http://www.bornrich.com/entry/astro-gaming-taking-pre-orders-for-the-gold-edition/ is one example.

:psypop: I wonder if these idiots that buy that crap realize there isn't even a dollar's worth of gold coating on the devices and that gold is highly maleable and will just flake off anyways.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

flyboi posted:

:psypop: I wonder if these idiots that buy that crap realize there isn't even a dollar's worth of gold coating on the devices and that gold is highly maleable and will just flake off anyways.

Look, I spent $600,000 on these crystals that make my surround sound system sound clearer. It's good, alright? Money well spent. MY MONEY well...spent...:negative:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mercury Crusader posted:

Look, I spent $600,000 on these crystals that make my surround sound system sound clearer. It's good, alright? Money well spent. MY MONEY well...spent...:negative:

Those crystals are a pretty good deal since they remove the bar from SNES display as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Now I kind of want to take a scrap controller and replace all the buttons with semiprecious stones...

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Random Stranger posted:

Now I kind of want to take a scrap controller and replace all the buttons with semiprecious stones...

Do it with the shittiest one you can find. A broken CDi controller or something.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, NO! That way lies madness. Golden, shiny madness.

I tend to be practical with buying consoles anyway - I generally just buy one to play games on, rather than for the machine itself. My only exception is going to be a 3DSXL, simply because it's such a huge difference in screen size and improvements. And for once, I'm waiting for a special edition version of it that I like (C'mon SMT:IV version, come to the EU or Australia...:pray:), since I always miss out because I buy the standard launch version.

Hey if we're going with Golden shiny madness, I hope you have a vita, so you can get Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Persona 4: Golden :smugteddie:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

elf help book posted:

Those crystals are a pretty good deal since they remove the bar from SNES display as well.

Is the application the same? Just tape the small plastic baggie of the crystals to the RCA cables? This is important, I'm spending good money on these magic electronics crystals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

They'd never do placebo poo poo on something like video, only audio, because with video you can actually literally point out the differences.

ACID POLICE posted:

A guide of good English friendly Famicom games or a guide on how to make a NES converter cart?

If it's the first then I'll start working on a big post (but there are a ton of Fami games and I don't like a lot of genres so someone else make one too) but if it's the latter pop open your HES cart and measure down to around where the Fami->NES converter's connector is. You should saw it off a little above to fir the bottom part of a NES cart that's slightly more narrow.

For the short period of time where I only had my friend's NES and a converter cart and no Fami I did that and then took some extra strong string, made two holes and whatever i'll just draw it

Yes! That's what I meant and G-Prime better be using that awesome guide.

• Locked thread