Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DangerKat posted:

It's still an incredible turnabout from the Minnesota Legislature. They did a lot of downplaying on any potential same-sex marriage bill during the early months of this session.

The turnaround became possible after the last election when we threw the Teabaggers out on their rear end. The attempt to write a gay marriage ban into the state constitution and to pass a discriminatory Voter ID bill during a presidential election year proved to be a massive strategic mistake that led to tremendous voter turnout by young and minority voters. It also helped that the MN GOP went totally batshit insane the election before and put a bunch of crazed Ron Paul acolytes in charge of the party organization. They're starting to unfuck themselves now, but until they get back to the centrist, moderate party that they were up until ~2004, their domination of the state house is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Holy poo poo:

Anti-same sex marriage poster for a protest later this month, there are no words:

The King Kong is Justice Minister Christiane Taubira, who is behind the law recognizing same sex marriage and adoption.

They literally represented a black woman as King Kong.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Holy poo poo:

Anti-same sex marriage poster for a protest later this month, there are no words:

The King Kong is Justice Minister Christiane Taubira, who is behind the law recognizing same sex marriage and adoption.

Wow. France is really starting to make the Tea Party look like amateurs.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Kurtofan posted:

Holy poo poo:

Does anyone have an increasingly growing :stare: image?

Manif Pour Tous are "embarrassed" ONLY because 1. they were caught and 2. this proves that they're just a wing of National Front.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zeroisanumber posted:

The turnaround became possible after the last election when we threw the Teabaggers out on their rear end. The attempt to write a gay marriage ban into the state constitution and to pass a discriminatory Voter ID bill during a presidential election year proved to be a massive strategic mistake that led to tremendous voter turnout by young and minority voters. It also helped that the MN GOP went totally batshit insane the election before and put a bunch of crazed Ron Paul acolytes in charge of the party organization. They're starting to unfuck themselves now, but until they get back to the centrist, moderate party that they were up until ~2004, their domination of the state house is over.

Seriously, they way overreached. The massive D turnout let them control the governor's seat and both houses for the first time since 1990. The magnitude of the swing took some time to sink in, and the realization that Republicans hosed themselves along with the insane organization shown by Minnesotan's United for All Families and other groups like it made this possible. They have been putting constituents in front of representatives three times a week for the past 5 months, in addition to holding rallies at the state capitol.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Brigadier Sockface posted:

The Marianne costume is even reminiscent of the Tea Party Minutemen costumed types.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

The French have been pros at revolts for centuries now. The Tea Party, original and new, have nothing on them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, while the Americans were all "How about we throw the tea in the ocean? That'll teach em a lesson on taxation!"

The French were "How about we kill the king, as much nobility as we can, and then all of our own revolution leaders because gently caress them they're going to do the same god drat thing the second they get power. You will follow us Robespierre."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Seriously, they way overreached. The massive D turnout let them control the governor's seat and both houses for the first time since 1990. The magnitude of the swing took some time to sink in, and the realization that Republicans hosed themselves along with the insane organization shown by Minnesotan's United for All Families and other groups like it made this possible. They have been putting constituents in front of representatives three times a week for the past 5 months, in addition to holding rallies at the state capitol.

MN United for All Families really ran a tight campaign to get us to this point. Last year my dad told me about getting a call from an MN United caller who was his same age, background, and also ex-Army and an MBA who wanted to tell him why he should vote against the gay marriage amendment. How the hell do you find a 65 year old vet with a MBA and convince him to give up his Saturday afternoon to call another 65-year old vet with an MBA and ask him to vote a certain way? Microtargeting is cool and scary as gently caress.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Minnesota's Senate Finance Committee easily passed the marriage equality bill, so it's now completely ready for Thursday.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Delaware Senate is getting hilarious.
The guy who just mentioned marriage has existed since "from the beginning of time, or 5000 years" is now talking about The Queen James Bible.

e: And he just pivoted to the Founding Fathers, who would never ever support an edited version of the Bible to remove stuff you disagreed with.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The guy who just mentioned marriage has existed since "from the beginning of time, or 5000 years" is now talking about The Queen James Bible.

e: And he just pivoted to the Founding Fathers, who would never ever support an edited version of the Bible to remove stuff you disagreed with.

Transgenders and Revelations!!!!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Is he drunk?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Zeroisanumber posted:

Is he drunk?

It's got to be The Onion.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Time to discuss the 2009 anti-discrimination bill while pretending it has to do with today's HB75!

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Here's the twitter feed for Equality Delaware. They're currently liveblogging the hearing.

https://twitter.com/EQDE

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Seems like the big focus this aliance defending freedom guy is that the bill would make adoption agencies have to give children to same sex couples..

"I can't disect a frog because of my beliefs"

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Adoption agencies and private schools should receive state funding even if they violate state law!" :cry:

Edible Hat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"What if a black photographer is asked to take a picture of a klan rally"

what the gently caress

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 7, 2013

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

"TEACHERS WILL HAVE TO PROMOTE EQUALITY"
"SCHOOLS THAT RECEIVE STATE FUNDING WON'T BE ALLOWED TO DISCRIMINATE"
"ADOPTION AGENCIES WILL BE FORCED TO GIVE CHILDREN TO GAY COUPLES"
"BUSINESSES WON'T BE ALLOWED TO REFUSE TO SERVE GAY PEOPLE"
"PEOPLE WHO DON'T APPROVE OF GAY MARRIAGE WILL BE CALLED BIGOTS"

:supaburn:

Good. I loving hope so.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

VirtualStranger posted:

"TEACHERS WILL HAVE TO PROMOTE EQUALITY"
"SCHOOLS THAT RECEIVE STATE FUNDING WON'T BE ALLOWED TO DISCRIMINATE"
"ADOPTION AGENCIES WILL BE FORCED TO GIVE CHILDREN TO GAY COUPLES"
"BUSINESSES WON'T BE ALLOWED TO REFUSE TO SERVE GAY PEOPLE"
"PEOPLE WHO DON'T APPROVE OF GAY MARRIAGE WILL BE CALLED BIGOTS"

:supaburn:

Good. I loving hope so.

Right? These are all good and appropriate things to happen.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"I love my daughter but that's not a marriage"

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Delaware Senate audio stream (needs quicktime)

The marriage bill is the only thing on the agenda. I have no idea how long they'll debate.

Whoever made the decision to require quicktime needs to be impeached before anything else gets discussed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This guy needs to get hit by a bus

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Whoever made the decision to require quicktime needs to be impeached before anything else gets discussed.

Yeah what the hell. This is what the hearing should be about.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

This is the sign he's talking about. This was right on Rt. 896 near the canal.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oh SHIIIIIIT He has a recording! He's about to blow the lid off this!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh SHIIIIIIT He has a recording! He's about to blow the lid off this!!

These people are so hateable

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Hahaha what they cut him off! Nooooo

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Shut the gently caress down. Awesome.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Schwarbage posted:

Shut the gently caress down. Awesome.

loving amazing

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

VirtualStranger posted:

This is the sign he's talking about. This was right on Rt. 896 near the canal.

How very Christlike of them :allears:

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Polygamy! Slippery slope! Facebook! :derp:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Schwarbage posted:

Polygamy! Slippery slope! Facebook! :derp:

CANADA!

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
Who is this person talking right now? They don't have a vote do they?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Lisa Goodman is killing it(President of Equality Delaware)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"B-but if we legalize same sex marriage schools will be able to tell my kids that homosexuality isn't abnormal behavior" is close to the most cowardly loving objection I've ever heard, and it makes me unreasonably angry at the person on this audio stream.

e: "Support is increasing so why not wait instead of pushing for this legislation?" :psyduck: What in the gently caress?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 7, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Mo_Steel posted:

"B-but if we legalize same sex marriage schools will be able to tell my kids that homosexuality isn't abnormal behavior" is close to the most cowardly loving objection I've ever heard, and it makes me unreasonably angry at the person on this audio stream.

It's all good. It'll all be worth it for the schadenfreude we're going to receive when this passes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Why should we make laws I mean you don't buy my kid a bicycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I'm in love with that. This is what they've been reduced to and I don't think they will like how few people will agree with a message like that when it's put so bluntly.

• Locked thread