Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

"Why should we give people rights if they're going to just get rights later maybe?"

Jesus this is infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
"If my happiness ruins your marriage you need to work on your marriage."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sen Peterson is amazing

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
"If my happiness somehow diminishes your marriage, then you need to work on your marriage!" :thurman:

The applause in the chamber helps take the edge off all the other nonsense heard so far.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Senator Peterson just came out, for those not paying attention or unable to watch/keep track of the hearing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HALL LONG IS VOTING YES HOLY poo poo YES

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Goddamnit current speaker, god doesn't get to define what marriage is. Marriage is older than Christianity, or even Judaism so gently caress off with your "god has given us marriage" bs.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Senator Hall-Long just announced that she's voting yes, which means the bill will probably pass.

https://twitter.com/EQDE/status/331875308087148544

:toot:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Goddamnit current speaker, god doesn't get to define what marriage is. Marriage is older than Christianity, or even Judaism so gently caress off with your "god has given us marriage" bs.

why don't people like this at least try to be consistent and try to pass a 'non-christians can't get married' bill

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you love more than one woman I am totally cool with polygamy so long as all of you want to be married, knock yourselves out.

Motion to table the bill introduced. Motion fails 12 to 9.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 7, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Riptor posted:

why don't people like this at least try to be consistent and try to pass a 'non-christians can't get married' bill

Baby steps.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This better not get tabled

Edit: no t enough votes to tabled!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This better not get tabled

It didn't. Rest easy.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

It's a wonder how such a small state can have such a wide range of accents.

I've lived here forever and I still don't understand it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

If you love more than one woman I am totally cool with polygamy so long as all of you want to be married, knock yourselves out.

Motion to table the bill introduced.

It failed :woop:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is the actual vote now, correct?

12 Yes, passes!

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:siren: WOOO IT PASSED :siren:

12-9

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mo_Steel posted:

This is the actual vote now, correct?

12 yes 9 no passed

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Yay

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yes!!!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

VirtualStranger posted:

:siren: WOOO IT PASSED :siren:

YES!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
There ya go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whole lotta cheering right now.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

IT PASSED

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I think I can hear a man crying on the live feed.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to Minnesota hopefully following suit later this week. Haven't heard a crowd so excited (and for good reason) since MN voted no on the constitutional amendment last election.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mo_Steel posted:

Looking forward to Minnesota hopefully following suit later this week.

:hf:
It is going to be close but I am hopeful.

So can we now get to this whole quicktime thing?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Sweeney Tom posted:

Senator Peterson just came out, for those not paying attention or unable to watch/keep track of the hearing.

Like, "came out" came out?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Looking forward to Minnesota hopefully following suit later this week.

The House doesn't vote until Thursday. Unless the Senate sets their vote for Friday, we'll have to wait until Monday or so for it to be legalized in Minnesota, although it would rule so much if we had two states to legalize marriage equality in the same week.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

rypakal posted:

Like, "came out" came out?

Announced that she and her partner had civil unions a year ago. Which, thanks to this bill, they will be officially married automatically in another year unless they want to speed things up and marry when the law takes effect (unless I misinterpreted/misread something in the bill)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Well thanks to this my girlfriend and I can now get married if we so desire :3: Congrats on not loving it up, Delaware!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quiggy posted:

Well thanks to this my girlfriend and I can now get married if we so desire :3: Congrats on not loving it up, Delaware!

Congratulations you both :3:

I am so happy for you and I can't imagine how much emotion you both feel right now.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Governor Markell will sign the bill at 5:30

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

VirtualStranger posted:

Governor Markell will sign the bill at 5:30

That's some drat fast democracy in action.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I'm in love with that. This is what they've been reduced to and I don't think they will like how few people will agree with a message like that when it's put so bluntly.

For them it's either this or admit to outright bigotry. Every other rationale for denying marriage equality has been torn apart and taken away from them. They've rapidly been backed into a corner on this, and it's making them squirm, deservedly so.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Congratulations you both :3:

I am so happy for you and I can't imagine how much emotion you both feel right now.

Thanks so much :glomp:

I'm not expecting us to actually tie the knot any time soon but the option is there now. I'm so loving happy :D

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

quiggy posted:

Thanks so much :glomp:

I'm not expecting us to actually tie the knot any time soon but the option is there now. I'm so loving happy :D

This makes me wonder if gay marriage getting approved has led to some awkward moments between couples, where maybe one partner was just assuming that, hey only one hurdle to overcome and then we're getting hitched!

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

The bill has now officially been signed and it takes effect on July 1st.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Loving Life Partner posted:

This makes me wonder if gay marriage getting approved has led to some awkward moments between couples, where maybe one partner was just assuming that, hey only one hurdle to overcome and then we're getting hitched!

Well also strictly speaking we could have legally gotten married before now since I'm currently and unfortunately legally male, but I already told her not to propose to me until at least after I get that changed this summer :ssh:

I wouldn't be too surprised to hear a story like that from some friends sometime soon, but I do know that two of our best friends who got engaged a few months ago can now get married. This is just the best :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
And Delaware is added to the list of states I want to move to.

I have never been so happy about something that won't affect me at all (I'm straight and live in Pennsylvania). I want to hug everything in sight. :3:

• Locked thread