Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Often called Sega's rival to the Fire Emblem series, Shining Force was a series of strategy RPGs on the Genesis, Game Gear, Sega CD, and finally the Saturn. While it was always had a fairly simple engine and had a difficulty level that was moderate at its hardest, it was still an enjoyable, lighthearted romp that holds a dear spot to many who grew up on Sega consoles. However, with the unpopularity of the Saturn outside of Japan, most of us missed the third installment in the series, and what a shame at that. Due to poor sales, the second and third scenarios of the game never saw official translation. Because the Saturn was such a weirdly constructed console, it was difficult to emulate until fairly recently. Put all of these things together, and it means very few people have experienced Shining Force 3.

Until now.

What's new in Shining Force 3?

Lots. Not going to lie, a lot of new mechanics have been cribbed from Fire Emblem. There's now supports, weapon levels, and a weapon triangle. Magic has seen a nearly complete overhaul, and non-magic characters have special criticals to diversify their abilities. Weapon upgrades are no longer purely linear, dying has actual consequences, there are bonus dungeons that are difficult, and plenty more. While previous Shining Force games were mostly cosmetic updates of the original, Camelot really went the extra mile to make Shining Force 3 an advancement in the series.

What did Shining Force 3 do right?

Nearly everything. All the stuff stolen from Fire Emblem is actually implemented far better in Shining Force 3. For a while, the writing is also surprisingly mature for a JRPG from the 90s. It's very little high fantasy, instead focusing on political turmoil and how it affects the world. The plot is actually more like Final Fantasy Tactics' long lost twin, both to its benefit and its downfall.

What did Shining Force 3 do wrong?

It's fairly obvious that the developers threw the idea of balance to the wind. The writing begins to fall apart halfway through the second scenario, which is frustrating to an audience that cares about what's actually going on. A significant number of the maps feel like they were designed by the Thracia 776 team. Oh, and the music sucks, but that's expected when you see Motoi Sakuraba's name on the credits.

Please note, I am not an expert at this game. I have only completed scenarios 1 and 2 once before, and have not yet started scenario 3. While I am a Shining Force veteran, I will not be able to dissect this game to the depth that I did with Shining Force 2. This LP is to showcase a mostly well designed game to most fans who missed it and newcomers who've never heard of it.

:siren:TABLE OF CONTENTS:siren:

Scenario 1:

Part 1: Wordy intros? We 32 bit now
Character Analysis 1
Part 2: Dantares only gets better, folks
Part 3: This really couldn't be any more obvious
Part 4: This is why sexual harassment claims exist
Part 5: Leave your religion at the doorstep
Part 6: Named NPCs get biographies too
Part 7: This one's easy
Part 8: Foreshadowing that will almost never come to a head!
Part 9: More AI bullshit
Character Analysis 2
Part 10: The calm before the storm
Part 11: You have no idea how sick I got of replaying the first few turns
Part 12: The apology for Switching Point
Character Analysis 3
Part 13: This guy sounds familiar
Part 14: The art of doing nothing (Special thanks to RuanGacho!)
Part 15: This is what happens when I don't do my homework
Part 16: What was I doing again?
Part 17: If we could skip this fight, Scenario 2 wouldn't have to exist
Part 18: Don't go chasing
Part 19: Now it gets confusing
Part 20: Just call me Zeus
Part 21: And we never heard from Penn again
Part 22: So the next crit is Hyper Sentinel Force, right?
Character analysis 4
Part 23: Oh, I thought there was another dialogue happening this update
Part 24: Homecoming
Part 25: I refuse to pronounce it “meeth-ril”
Part 26: A hard bonus dungeon!
Part 27: :words:
Part 28: Why do we have to do this again, Camelot?
Mini-Update: Looks like somebody was right all along!
Part 29: How many bosses was that?
Part 30: Ambush!!!
Part 31: PSYCHE
Part 32: Oops, Hagane's not useful
Part 33: Training Time!
Part 34: I lied, it's more words
Character analysis 5
Part 35: No dialogue this update!
Part 36: The Titan of Aspia
Part 37: Game over, man
Part 38: We're only a third of the way through, folks!

Scenario 2:

Part 39: Time warp!
[CLASSIFIED] Report: Index A
Part 40: Intersecting narratives
Part 41: Wow! Stuff happens!
Part 42: No loot for Medion
Part 43: Our first synchronization point
Part 44: Switching Point revisited
Part ???
Part 45: Oh, there's that Produn chap
Part 46: I should have thought twice about this difficulty thing
Part 47: Hark, a ninja!
Part 48: More filler, more yawning
Part 49: The most :words: fight yet!
Zero Report: Index B
Part 50: Maybe we should stick to professional soldiers
Part 51: something something relationship joke
Part 52: More grinding than a trashy nightclub
Part 53: Dammit game, stop slogging
Part 54: Why did I have problems with this again?
Part 55: The other fight that almost made me ragequit
Part 56: beep boop
Part 57: JUST KILL THEM
Part 58: Technically, this is two fights
Part 59: MGS sure had a lovely Saturn port
Part 60: No, YOU shut the gently caress up, dad
Part 61: A few loose ends
Part 62: I should feel bad about farming, but I don't
Part 63: Double the forgettable bosses for half the price!
Part 64: They're going to start laying it on thick
Part 65: It's not like the alternate boss is much harder
Part 66: I forgot what part this was
Part 67: Redemption Round!
Part 68: Oops
Part 69: You had ONE job, David
Part 70: lovely plot twist!
Part 71: Just throw the rest of the gently caress yous into that pile over there

Scenario 3:

Part 72: Beginning of the End
Part 73: The bad exposition keeps coming
The Shining Force, Part 3.1
Part 74: Give me a break, again?
Part 75: Well, at least the boss is easy
Part 76: The most metal boss
Part 77: I said gently caress YEAH
Part 78: Wow, imperials are stupid
Part 79: Another boss, yawn
Part 80: Honestly, Honesty
The Shining Force, Part 3.2
Part 81: Metal Gear Solid 2 also had a bad port
Part 82: Republican generals, everyone
BONUS: Alternate universes
Part 83: Everyone is a moron
Part 84: Oops, I missed the best item

Bonus content!

Three weeks after RuanGacho took care of the fight for me, I gently caress it up twice in a row!
Premium Disc A (To be viewed after completing scenario 1 aka part 38)
Premium Disc B (To be viewed after completing scenario 2)
Character sketches!

SWORD RAVE!

inthesto fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 1: Wordy intros? We 32 bit now.

There's an ominous title screen if I've ever seen one.

We start with an introduction from a fairy who slaps some old wizard on the face.

:smugwizard:: Fey, are you sure this is the one we are looking for?

:angel:: Yes, I think. I'm pretty sure this one can do the job.

:smugwizard:: I hope you're right. There's much to be done. Forgive us child, I don't doubt your ability, but the fate of many lives hangs in the balance. Didn't Fey explain the situation to you?

:angel:: The search took so long, I... Well there wasn't enough time!

:smugwizard:: No time to explain now either. However, I can allow you to name the three heroes as you wish.

We're walking in the footsteps of Shining Force 2, where the framing device is a nameless traveler who's being coerced into carrying out a magical stranger's mission.

Although he is honest and full of kindness, during times of physical conflict the fury of this man's soul burns hotter and hotter as he releases the savageness of a tiger:

Naturally, I will be writing “honest and full of kindness” as “has no manners and gives no fucks”.

A brilliant man with a never failing composure and iron will that can't be swayed by emotions. He fights like a dragon and slices through the battlefield like the wind.

Saying Medion has an iron will is a complete lie, as we'll come to find out eventually.

He rises above all others with his strong spirit, but carries with him a sorrow, a past full of sadness. Once released of his sorrow, his soul will soar as he becomes a wolf with sharp and virtuous fangs.

Julian is an okay guy, even if he's a JRPG protagonist we've seen a million times before.

:smugwizard:: It's time for you to go now. Fare thee well, Synbios. Preparations have been made so you will know what to do.

Considering there was a fair amount of depth written in to the world and plot, this framing device makes no loving sense, but I'll let it slide for the first disc.

The game opens with an aerial view of the city of Saraband. The city-state is actually a giant steam powered ship that sails along the coast, and lives prosperously through trade

The game treats the audience to a long pan throughout the city's downtown. People are just going about their lives, and this nice looking fellow is buying some flowers.

He then changes his clothes in the middle of the street. Not weird at all, promise.

He then approaches this big mansion. This might be important in a few minutes.

Outside the mansion, a pair of girls are waiting. The cantaul is sitting on the steps while the elf is trying to peek through a window.

The elf's bright idea turns out to not be so bright.

Well isn't this guy just a bundle of cheers.

: Just because the peace conference with the Empire isn't going well is no reason to act like an ogre.

: Remember, Tybalt, they wouldn't have invaded Barrand if YOU had quashed the revolt of your people, instead of begging the Empire for aid.

: Do you think I don't know that?! The guilt for inviting them into the holy land will stay with me forever...

: Be that as it may, as the entrance to the holy land of Elbesem, Barrand is an important strategic point. Even without your troubles, how long would it have been before the Emperor turned his greedy eyes towards you?

For the record, I'm editing out every unnecessary ellipses. I've cleaned out nine already.

: That is a hard truth, Dantares. With the people in revolt, you had no other choice. There was no way to stop the invasion by the Empire.

: As our Republic has but recently separated from the Empire, our own people do not yet understand the benefits of standing on our own. The Empire has taken advantage of that fact.

: We have poured our lifeblood into this while others tear down everything we accomplish. It is unbearable.

: 'Others tear down everything'? Who are you talking about?

: What do you mean who? Have you forgotten? The rabble General Varlant mentioned.

: I have not forgotten, but there's no need to bring that subject up now.

: I haven't heard about this. Please continue.

: I see. You don't look as if you are.

: Ah, Lord Conrad. It is a shame his health would not permit him to come. It is at times like this we need him the most.

: Are you unsatisfied with Synbios? You would prefer General Varlant, perhaps? Is that what you were implying, Tybalt?

Benetram gives no shits and is a pretty cool king.

: We know Varlant wanted to be here, Tybalt, but you know as well as any of us what a bad idea that would be.

: We all know Varlant is a good man, but you know his temper. He is not suited for such delicate negotiations.

: Uhh...

: You enlisted Dantares. he wouldn't be here unless he thought Synbios could make a difference.

drat right they called in Dantares. He is going to fix every god drat problem. Oh yeah, I guess Synbios can come along too.

: Lord Synbios may still be young, but I see him carrying the future of the Republic on his back, someday.

: Enough about me. I want to hear more about these troublemakers.

: I believe you were telling an interesting story, weren't you, Brutus?

: Um... oh... you mean about... It's really not that big of a deal.

: Our soldiers stationed in Balsamo, have reported some strange people in the area.

: I see. “Strange people.” Could you be perhaps a bit more specific?

: He refers to the ones General Varlant mentioned, the monks of that bizarre religious sect, the ones with the masks.

: They don't sound like a concern to me.

: General Varlant reported a group of pagan monks taking up residence in Balsamo prior to the start of the peace conference.

: Masked pagan monks...

: I don't understand how a pagan cult can proliferate on this continent in the face of the holy word of Elbesem.

: The people have enough to worry about. They shouldn't have their minds filled with that pagan nonsense.

: With the recent unrest, they're gaining quite a following preaching about the coming "new order".

: These monks sound like a bunch of cranks. Is there something else about them that alarms you?

: These pagans... They claim they pray for peace, but what if their true aim is more sinister?

Now that's just crazy talk, Benetram. A religious group attempting to seize power during political turmoil? This isn't Ivalice.

: Benetram, this is of no immediate concern.

: This sort of doomsday preaching can be heard everywhere in Barrand. People are eating up these fantasies.

: Benetram, you're a pessimist. There are nuts everywhere. Worry about all of them, and you'll become one.

: If those monks are the ones I've heard about, well, I have reason to be pessimistic.

: Let's talk about this some other time, shall we? We came all this way to talk peace with the Empire.

: Anyway, we should discuss our strategies in today's conference with the Empire while we still have time.

Somebody knocks on the door.

: What is it?

: Pardon the intrusion, my Lords... A messenger from Saraband is here to see you.

: I thought we still had plenty of time before the conference.

: That's all right. Bring him in.

Now class, is there anything fishy about this picture?

: You're here a bit ahead of schedule, aren't you?

:hist101:: Lord Garvin suggests that given the current difficulties in the peace negotiations, a new approach may help. Before the official conference begins, he invites both yourself and the Emperor to an informal council.

: We weren't informed of this.

: This "informal council" is obviously an excuse to get all the advisors out of the room.

: Perhaps that's not such a bad idea. Without the confusion of many voices, the two of us might make progress. All right, I shall go.

: Are you planning on going without a bodyguard?

: I shall ask Edmund to accompany me.

: But I am the aggrieved party in this conference!

: Your emotions may hinder our discussion. In light of this, I believe you should remain here. I would also like to ask Synbios to do something for me. Unlike us, you are not well known here. Go speak with the people of Saraband, and learn what you can.

: As you order, Benetram.

: Even though the Emperor Domaric and I meet today, I would not expect to resolve everything just like that. Besides, you are too serious, like your father. You could use some time relaxing among the people. I also need to tell Dantares something. I think an Imperial knight, Campbell, is here in Saraband accompanying the youngest prince, Medion.

: Campbell sounds familiar. I've heard tales of a brave knight.

They were talking about you, Dantares.

: A while ago, during a border skirmish, he fought brilliantly against us. You may find him somewhere in town. I am ready. Thank you for waiting, messenger.

: So, now what do we do?

: Nothing to do but wait. But you have a job to do, Synbios. You'd better go.

And just like that, we already have the best character in the game. No, I'm not kidding in any way, shape, or form. By the end of this scenario, we will have everyone in this thread addressing Dantares as “General Dantares”.

To quickly recap the plot, since this is a lot of information to dump all at once: Synbios is probably a general in the Aspinian Republic. His colleague, Lord Tybalt of Barrand couldn't quell some civil unrest, and called on the army of the Destonian Empire to supress it. As a result, the empire seized control of Barrand, and now Tybalt has come running to the rest of the republic to negotiate Barrand back into his hands. Also, the republic has a monarch for some reason. :shrug:

: You might be able to discover something there.

Just in case we don't know where to go or don't want to waste out time milling about, Brutus tells us exactly where to go.

: You must fill the void this has created.

While Synbios is outright stated to be a rookie, his fellow generals and lords still treat him with the respect of an equal. It's an interesting dynamic that will meet some serious contrast in the beginning of Scenario 2.

As per RPG traditions, we can loot random shelves and boxes for stuff. There's not much of importance in Saraband for now, but I snatched these coins as an example.

Cabinets that don't have any loot in them can generate on of several amusing messages. This one is the one that stands out, and sadly this is not the last mention of underwear we will see in the game.

Before we can leave the mansion, we're stopped by the cantaul who was waiting outside.

: Ah, it is you, Grace. So, where is Masqurin?

: That little minx, she's afraid she'll be scolded and is curled up hiding somewhere.

: She got me in trouble. In the middle of the conference, she peeked through the window.

: Oh please, I bet you to forgive her. She regrets what she did.

: None of the other generals are watching. Let it slide, Dantares.

: Please don't ask that of me, my lord. If we let Masqurin off so easily, it would not be good for her. But since you insist, I'll let her off with a warning this time.

: You can come out now, Masqurin! Sir Dantares says he'll forgive you.

: Masqurin, what am I to do with you?

: The messenger gave them to me earlier. I'm presenting them as my way of saying I'm sorry for what happened.

Aww, isn't Masquirn jus- Wait, who did she say gave those to her?

: You think this qualifies as an apology?

: Would you like some too, Lord Synbios?

: Ahem! Masqurin! I'm not finished with you!

Before you ask, no these don't do anything.

: Yes, what were you saying?

: Oh, never mind. Due to King Benetram's generosity, we get to see the sights of Saraband. Let's not waste any more time.

And like that, we've got our first fighting team. And just as a note, I edited out over forty ellipses in this update alone. This game's script is going to end up killing me.

NEXT TIME: Calibrate the “OH gently caress IT'S DANTARES” counter!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The Shining Force: Part 1

”His father Conrad was a primary founder of the Republic. Synbios is a fervent defender of Republican ideology, but is realizing the difficulty of making it a reality."
Pros: Learns Spark, gets an early mithril weapon, good support skill
Cons: Mediocre stats all around, game over if he dies
Spells: Return, Spark
Support: Attack Up
Thoughts: Synbios, in addition to having the stupidest name on record, is the wimpiest protagonist in Shining Force history. Take Nick's weak offense with Bowie's mediocre defense, add the fact that he uses a weapon that's weak in the triangle, and you get this guy. His only saving grace is that you find a unique weapon suited for him fairly early in the game, saving his lame stat growths.

”Elite Republican knight. Conrad request he escort Synbios to the peace conference. Engaged in a rivalry with Sir Campbell.”
Pros: He's Guntz with 7 MOV
Cons: I'm not kidding
Support: Enemy Critical Down
Thoughts: As if to say they were sorry for all the mediocre knights in the previous Shining Force games, Camelot gives us this murder machine right off the bat. He starts with high base stats, has steady, high growths, and has advantage over sword wielders. His stats are so insane, by the endgame he'll be performing one hit KOs and struggling to find anyone who can scratch his HP bar. Sadly, this still doesn't put him in the top five most broken Shining Force characters of all time.

”Elvin mage who has served Synbios since childhood. Her personality is carefree and unrestrained, but she's a valuable asset to Synbios' army.”
Pros: Excellent spell set, excellent support
Cons: Fragile, capable of burning through mana quickly
Support: Magic Up
Spells: Blaze, Spark, Attack
Thoughts: The upgraded magic system is enough of a boon, but Camelot first gives us a mage that learns Spark (the new name for Bolt) AND Attack? With the way magic works in Shining Force 3, Masqurin's only real problem will be trying to decide between vomiting multitarget damage on the enemy or cranking a teammate's offense into the sky.

”Priest of the cantaul race. She and Masqurin have attended to Synbios from a young age. Befitting one who serves Elbesem, she has a calm and gentle personality.”
Pros: Healer
Cons: Healer
Support: Magic Defense Up, Luck Up
Spells: Heal, Antidote, Aura
Thoughts: Priests are in a weird space in Shining Force 3. They don't hit hard and don't gain quite as much experience as they did in Shining Force 2, but they generally have better and more flexible spell sets, along with being able to target weird enemy vulnerabilities. Regardless, we're going to want to keep Grace around, as she's our only source of multitarget healing, and all the other healers have very limited MP pools.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 14, 2013

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I remember this from when TotalBiscuit was doing his very high-quality, but unfortunately unfinished, LP. I never got around to playing much of it myself but I've always wanted to see it in its entirety, so thanks for starting this thread. You're presenting it well so far.

And yes, General Dantares is death, destroyer of worlds.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Black Balloon posted:

I remember this from when TotalBiscuit was doing his very high-quality, but unfortunately unfinished, LP.

Oh dear lord yes, I've been hoping someone would pick up the slack left from that. This is gonna be great.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

At least this will have more for you to do than Battle for Wesnoth right? At any rate good luck and god speed :patriot:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 2: Dantares only gets better, folks

We're finally treated to the ability to walk around and do things. Saraband is a pretty big city, consisting of four separate areas. There's a lot to explore, but much of it is redundant fluff. For now, take note of these soldier sprites, as we'll be seeing them a lot. The green ones are allied Republican soldiers, while the golds are neutral Saraband guards. Enemy Imperial soldiers will be colored blue.

:hist101:: I'm surprised to see you attending the conference, and I'm deeply honored to meet you.

OH gently caress IT'S DANTARES (OFID) Counter: 1

Over to the side, we meet a guy tending to a coop of pigeons.

Guy with a portrait, which means we're eventually either recruiting him or murdering him. Also, as we'll find out, saying “poor village in the Republic” is going to be redundant.

: I liked it so much, I joined the Saraband Guard. However, I'm thinking about moving on again.

Behind the pigeon coop, we get potential ally/enemy #2. Apparently, the Saraband Guard employs a lot of archers.

If we say yes:

I hope you people are putting together the pieces by now. It's not really all that subtle. On the other hand, if we say no:

:j: You should stop and spend some time admiring flowers, even during battle. It may prove useful!

Yeah, uh, last time I did that.

Thanks, but no thanks.

In all seriousness, this is the game's hint that searching for stuff during battle will yield you some nice items.

:v:: When Emperor Domaric came to power, laws to divide nobility from the middle class were passed, and we're living with the results.

:j:: We left the Empire, and became citizens of Saraband. Your father and other Republican pioneers fought impossible odds against Emperor Domaric's terrifying army, but succeeded in founding their own country.

:j:: The Republic, which is based on equality, is plagued with budgetary hardships. So, Saraband is really the ideal nation.

This is more or less all the exposition that we need for now. There used to be a single empire ruled by Domaric, but twenty years ago a bunch of aristocrats banded together and revolted, separating and forming the Aspinian Republic. Most of the major Republican players in that war were in the introduction we just sat through, with the notable absence of Conrad, Synbios' father. While the republic seems nice and spouts principles of egalitarianism, the reality is that it still has an aristocratic class and most of the common people don't have enough food to eat.

Wandering outside, we happen upon this equestrian fellow in nice threads tending to his laundry.

We answer yes, because this will become important on the second disc.

I look forward to your answer after many more battles. Tell me again the next time we meet.

Well, he certainly was a cool fellow. I wonder which war made him a veteran. But where did that portrait come from?

Milling around, there's a bunch of stuff to pilfer in various houses, but there's only one thing I particularly care about right now.

Yep, mithrils are back and the game gives you way too many of them. They're not going to be useful until much later in the game, but it's handy to collect them when you can.

Heading over to the east, we wander into the district housing the Imperial army.

These guys don't exactly have a high opinion of us. If we wander too far into Imperial territory

: This is looking rather grim, Grace.

:hist101:: What's so grim about it, Republican soldiers?

: I think we've come to a bad place. I think we should turn around now.

:hist101:: Oh no, wait a second! You people must be spies! Do you think we'd let spies escape so easily?

To be fair, he is correct. Benetram's orders were more or less to gather intel in the city.

:hist101:: You come to the Imperial district and think you can get away with it? I think we need to beat some sense into your thick skulls.

: Hey, I don't like your tone. Are you challenging us? You actually think you're worthy enough to fight us?

:hist101:: Ha! You think you can fight us on our own turf? And still win?

: There's only one way to find out. Prepare to learn how hard it is to win a battle when you've lost an arm or two.

General Dantares don't gently caress around. :black101:

: Yes, I'm Medion.

: That gentleman over there is Sir Dantares. Some say he is even stronger than I.

OFID Counter: 2

:hist101:: Even stronger than Sir Campbell? Boy, did we choose the wrong guy to pick a fight with.

: I won't try to stop you, but if I were you I wouldn't fight him. So, what will you do? It seems you have been quite rude to these people. I wonder if they will forgive you.

The Imperial mooks line up in file and exit one by one, saluting Campbell on their way out. Make note that they don't actually salute Medion.

OFID Counter: 7

Dantares' attitude here is wonderful. “Yeah, I would have ripped those guys limb from limb. Thanks for saving me the trouble."

: Don't mention it. I simply spared a few Imperial soldiers' lives.

: Sorry for stirring trouble, but I wasn't going to back down from those threats.

: It is we, the Imperial army, who should apologize to you for acting so rudely.

: It's our fault for wandering into your territory so indiscreetly.

: If we keep going on like this with the formalities, it'd take an eternity.

: I saw you fight in the battle at the border awhile back, Sir Dantares. I don't look forward to facing you on the battlefield anytime soon.

OFID Counter: 8

: I was about to say the same thing, Sir Campbell. Your repulation in battle preceeds you.

: Is the person next to you, by any chance, Lord Synbios? The son of Lord Conrad, the great general?

: That would be I, standing in place of my father.

: Your father is still considered a hero in the Empire. So, you are his son.

: Either way, it cannot be just a coincidence that we met like this in the Imperial district.

: Coincidence, possibly. To tell you the truth, we are investigating the masked monks.

: Masked monks?

Suddenly, explosions.

: I see now. those explosives were for this occasion.

: Well that much is obvious. However, for what reason?

: We don't know what these monks are after yet, but for the moment we should return to our respective camps and assess the damages.

: Lord Synbios, we must head back. The timing is unfortunate as I think we have much in common. Let us be sure to talk again.

: Likewise to you, Medion.

: Let's hurry back to our camp, too.

But first, let's check in with those rude dudes on our way out.

Just like we thought, Imperials are all cowards.

As soon as we leave the Imperial district and reenter the central district, some guy with a huge schnoz shows up.

: We detonated the explosive in time. He seems to have returned to his headquarters.

Oh, it's a mask. Funny, that outfit looks familiar if it didn't have the huge mask protruding from the hood.

: You're not Medion and his allies. You are swine from the Republic!

He doesn't like Imperials or Republicans? There's a third faction at play? :monocle:

: It seems these are thee ones Medion was pursuing.

: Enough being talked down to. Take him out!

: Hah! Do you think you can fight me with that pitiful band? I'll cut you all to pieces!

And he summons a few identical buddies.

And here's our starting stat rollout. As you can see, Dantares is just plain better at everything than everyone else, and it's going to stay that way. In Shining Force 2 tradition, our hero is barely any better than our healer, but at least our mage is baller as hell.

The map reveals that we're fighting four against five, but the monks have pretty low stats, so it's not much to worry about. The one talky monk at the beginning does have two extra points of attack and one more hit point, making him a mini-boss of sorts, but he's just as easy to take down as the rest.

The easy way to deal with this fight is to just hide around the corner of the church and hang out until they come to you. With the monks in a single file line, it's easy to take down one or two in a single round before they get a chance to do any real damage.

Masqurin opens with Blaze 1, which does much more damage than previous incarnations. Recall that the monks only have 14 HP a piece. This spell which costs 2 MP is hitting them really drat hard, and given the way magic works in Shining Force 3, will continue to hit really drat hard for very little cost.

The exclamation point above the monk's head indicates weapon advantage. Shining Force 3 implemented a weapon triangle, copied straight out of Fire Emblem: Spears beat swords, swords beat axes, and axes beat spears. If you have advantage over an enemy, your critical chance and damage go up by a small but significant amount. If you attack an enemy when you have disadvantage (which has no icon associated, so you'd better be paying attention), the enemy gains an increased dodge and counter chance. Since the monks are all wielding swords and Dantares a lance... well, you can guess what this means.

I forgot to cap the damage number, but he deals 10 damage. I don't know exactly what the advantage bonus is, but running the numbers, Dantares would ordinarily do 8 damage, so he's getting a +2 bonus here.

On the other hand, when the monk attempts to attack Dantares on its turn, the weapon disadvantage rolls in our favor. Unilke previous games, counters deal full damage, and thus are pretty drat deadly. This results in a dead monk.

On the other hand, Synbios does pathetic damage without weapon advantage. He's only three points of attack below Dantaers, but he's doing six less damage. Ouch.

And just like Shining Force 2's gizmo fight, the first fight in this game gives you pathetic gold and experience. At least we're getting healing items for free.

In normal Shining Force fashion, the enemy AI is programmed to dogpile on the protagonist whenever possible. The normal monks hit Synbios for three damage each, but the big guy hits for five. It can get deadly pretty quickly, but that's why Grace is around.

Once again, healer experience scales on what percentage of your target's HP you restored. I've never known the actual formula and I'll probably never figure it out.

It's best to take out the beefier monk as soon as possible. He hits everyone but Dantares pretty drat hard, so we don't want him linger around, even if it means overkilling.

With the big guy dead, cleaning up the rest is trivial, since they only do significant damage to Masqurin, and the AI would rather try to scratch Synbios' armor.

Battle Report!

Level 2 1 HP/1 ATT/1 DEF/1 AGI
Level 2 1 HP/3 MP/1 ATT/1 DEF/1 AGI

Please do not point out how it's only possible to level up if you repeat this battle. I may or may not have let the big monk latch onto Synbios my first time around.

Not pictured: The rotting corpse of a faceless monk Synbios' army just slaughtered.

: These monks are obviously responsible for the explosions. In any case, let's get back to our headquarters.

NEXT TIME: Buy some colored contacts!

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 29, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

For the love of god, let me know what emulator you found that WORKS.

I've been trying to play SF3 for YEARS, I even own physical copies in japanese (but sadly lack a working Saturn because nobody SELLS working ones... bastards). Hell, I'm working on a game design degree just to try and revive the Strategy RPG genre, with the SF series as one of my main inspirations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This looks interesting, and I'll follow it. How much am I missing out on by not being familiar with the previous two games?

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Oh hey, it's that game I was always too lazy to LP!

I love this game - the characters are great, the plot is good, music is fantastic, the battle animations are fun to watch, and certain characters are complete loving beasts. There's a lot of depth and secrets. I even love how it ties into Shining the Holy Ark. (maybe I should LP that one) But somehow I never got around to putting the time into Scenarios 2 and 3 when they became available. So really looking forward to more.

(also you didn't ask for character names and I'm not suggesting, but last time I started a game I named them Robert, Rhaegar and Eddard. It almost works?)

ultrafilter posted:

This looks interesting, and I'll follow it. How much am I missing out on by not being familiar with the previous two games?

Pretty much nothing in this game comes from SF1 or 2, IIRC. There is some continuity from Shining the Holy Ark, but that's some way off and you can probably live without it.

It's a real shame Sega seems hell bent on burying this title's existence.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

FireSight posted:

I've been trying to play SF3 for YEARS, I even own physical copies in japanese (but sadly lack a working Saturn because nobody SELLS working ones... bastards). Hell, I'm working on a game design degree just to try and revive the Strategy RPG genre, with the SF series as one of my main inspirations.

Poke around for the latest builds of SSF. I don't know if it's kosher to link emulators in here and it takes a bit of legwork to get things working (the translation patches actually have a few known crash points, so you have to do some clever disc swapping), but the game can be played reasonably well at this point.

ultrafilter posted:

Not much. While the Shining Force games all take place in the same universe, the connections are generally very subtle. There's already been one that a veteran player who's not on the lookout might have missed. I'll be making in-universe references myself from time to time (as I already did with the flower joke), but I'll let the thread explain them if anyone has questions.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

geri_khan posted:

I love this game - the characters are great, the plot is good, music is fantastic, the battle animations are fun to watch, and certain characters are complete loving beasts. There's a lot of depth and secrets. I even love how it ties into Shining the Holy Ark. (maybe I should LP that one) But somehow I never got around to putting the time into Scenarios 2 and 3 when they became available. So really looking forward to more.

Please do! I actually don't know anything about the dungeon crawler Shining titles (I always got lost in the very beginning of SitD), so I'd like to see the lore connections myself.

MMania
May 7, 2008

inthesto posted:

Poke around for the latest builds of SSF. I don't know if it's kosher to link emulators in here and it takes a bit of legwork to get things working (the translation patches actually have a few known crash points, so you have to do some clever disc swapping), but the game can be played reasonably well at this point.

SSF 12 beta worked for me, according to my notes I needed to use the JP version to get past the Fafhard cut scene and the fourth battle of Scenario II. I would recommend figuring out a way of hooking a gamepad up as well, it's pretty clunky with the keyboard.

Absolutely amazing game, you've already shown some stuff off I didn't know about so I'm looking forward to all of the little goodies you manage to find. And you should really try and refrain for using Escape, I've beaten all three scenarios on hard without using it until the veeery end of Scen III and it makes the game much more interesting. As Total Biscuit showed us, it doesn't take too many extra levels before you can just rush your guys forward and kill everything with counters.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

inthesto posted:

Huh, do you have any documentation on getting SSF to work? I've also been trying to figure out a way to play this game for years. Also excited to see this LP just in case I never do get to play it myself.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

On the list of things that shining force 3 got wrong should be the absolutely horrific voices for the english version. I get the feeling that there's some kind of untold story of how the localization team could have hosed up *this* badly when casting voices: http://shiningforceacting.ytmnd.com/.

FireSight posted:

SSF is definitely the gold standard for me when it comes to Saturn emulation, it's pretty much flawless now for any Saturn game that you would want to play although it might be kind of finicky to get going. There's also Yabause that somewhat recently had a release (1/23/2013) but I haven't personally used it so I don't know how well it compares.

edit:

DeliciousCookie posted:

Huh, do you have any documentation on getting SSF to work? I've also been trying to figure out a way to play this game for years. Also excited to see this LP just in case I never do get to play it myself.
shining force central's site has a guide on setting up SSF that you can use as a starting point if it doesn't work right off the bat for you.

staplegun fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 8, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

staplegun posted:

On the list of things that shining force 3 got wrong should be the absolutely horrific voices for the english version. I get the feeling that there's some kind of untold story of how the localization team could have hosed up *this* badly when casting voices: http://shiningforceacting.ytmnd.com/.

Seriously?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Yep, those are all actual lines from Shining Force 3. Luckily, none of the dialogue is voice acted, and that's just stuff from casting spells and the like. The game mercifully includes an option to turn off voices.

Chances are, the localization team just handed a few lines for the interns to read and recorded it all in one take.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Seriously. Pretty sure these are the talents of SEGA's janitorial staff.

I think SF3 was one of the last Saturn games to come to the west and I doubt Sega had much of a budget for localisation. The script is good in general (if wordy...) but the in-battle voices are dreadful.

That's not intended to be an excuse, just the only reason I can think of for how awful they are.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

staplegun posted:

Did the developers hire whoever was on the other side of the speaker at a fast food drive-through? Those voices are just overflowing with character.

Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to following this LP. Like a few others, it was one of the games that I never had the chance to play.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Wow.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's why Penn is the best character in the game, he's the only one without voice acting.

That Dantares guy is pretty cool too, I guess.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

inthesto posted:

I don't know if it's kosher to link emulators in here

It's fine, as long as you don't post links to any actual ROMZZZZ.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
A SF3 LP! Alright!

Nothing will ever replace Total Biscut's LP of the game, but since it doesn't look like he'll be finishing his, I'll take what I can get.

Speaking of localization team fuckups;
inthesto: Are you going to be using the translation team's redo of the end of disk one? It's pretty different than what was on the US version of the disk.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I actually had no idea that they were different. Thankfully, through the magic of emulation, it'll be easy enough to show both. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Speaking of totalbiscuit's SF3 LP, apparently it got taken down from youtube. I don't think he's reuploaded it anywhere, either, so I guess it's just completely lost to the ether.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

inthesto posted:

I actually had no idea that they were different. Thankfully, through the magic of emulation, it'll be easy enough to show both. :v:

They had to be. The US/EU ending(That is, the 'after the credits') was changed to attempt to make it an ending, where the JP ending was very much a 'to be continued' moment). It failed horribly in this task due to lack of sense.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 3: This really couldn't be any more obvious

Now that we've brutally massacred some religious heretics, let's get back to HQ and sort this all out.

Okay, either this is some kind of Voltron tribute performance art, or something sinister is going on.

: King Benetram, by any chance is the person with you the Emperor Domaric?

: Indeed, I am Domaric. Are you not the knight, Dantares, who fought in the defeat of Campbell's army at the coast? That means this child next to you would be the son of Conrad.

: What is going on here? Please give me an answer, King Benetram!

Now the game isn't even bothering with subtlety anymore.

: Are you saying that you don't know of this infamous plan to return Barrand in exchange for my life? That no one knew of this? What a farce.

: Benetram, are you trying to sabotage the peace talks? Release the emperor now!

: Even if we release the Emperor now, it won't change a thing. The die is cast.

Well doesn't that just sound ominous.

: Please release Emperor Domaric! I, Dantares, upon my oath as a knight, can not allow even you to abduct the Emperor!

: Interesting... So you're saying you will cut me down if I try to leave with the Emperor?

I don't care if he's being sarcastic. That's going on the tally.

OFID Counter: 9

: What are you waiting for? Stop wasting my time! Hurry up and do it! Ah, so you've changed your mind. Then my business here is complete, and I'll be on my way!

Domaric, who the hell are you talking to?

: We can't just give up yet! King Benetram will be at the camp. We've got to try once more to talk some sense into him!

: Don't you think he was acting kind of strange? And why was the King with those monks? We must figure out the truth.

Grace currently gets the “Least Dumbass Team Member” award. Now let's get back to headquarters.

: What's wrong, Synbios? You look a little pale.

: What is the matter Synbios?

: Where's Emperor Domaric?

: Did you say Emperor Domaric?

Brutus charges on in. If there's one small touch I like about this game, it's how they play with the dialogue boxes to add emphasis to things.

: What are you talking about, Brutus?

: You have attacked Saraband! And on top of that... What have you done with the Emperor Domaric?!? The Governor General's office is up in arms!

: Masqurin also asked the same thing. What is going on with the Emperor?

: We all saw it. King Benetram abducted the Emperor Domaric and took him away to the camp!

: What? When did you see that?

: It was just a couple of minutes ago.

: Do you see, Benetram? There is a Republican witness. Do you still want to play innocent?

: But Benetram was here! He returned quite a while ago, saying that the Emperor did not show up.

: However, we really did see it. There's no doubt, it was King Benetram.

Except for the different colored eyes and the completely different speech pattern. Stick to impaling things, Dantares.

: So you saw. Are you sure that it was me?

: That's right! There is another witness to Benetram's doings! Edmund was with him as well.

: Indeed, I was with King Benetram. I was with him the whole time. He never left my sight. Benetram is telling the truth. Domaric did not show up at the conference room. He most certainly did not abduct him.

: Edmund is a man of few words, but he is a trustworthy general who would not lie. So what IS going on here?

: Then, perhaps Synbios saw both Benetram AND Edmund abducting the Emperor!

: Dantares, tell them.

: General Edmund was not there. Instead of him, the king was with a group of masked monks when he came out from the governor's mansion.

: Actually, during the chaos of the attack, we came across a group of those masked monks.

And, on Synbios' orders, killed them without a second thought.

: They attacked us but it was nothing we couldn't handle. They were quite vicious, epecially for monks.

: Are they by chance...

: We did not make the connection back then, but I believe they are the masked pagan worshipers of Balsamo.

: It begins to make sense.

Benetram is going to be mumbling to himself like this throughout the entire game. Apparently he figures everything out much faster than anyone else does, but never actually bothers explaining things until after it's over. :argh:

: Do you know something about this, Benetram? Now that I think about it, you were curious about these monks from the very beginning. What is going on?

: It's only speculation, but it seems the perpetrators want me and the Republic to take the blame for this crime.

Okay, it's not like he needed to really explain that one.

: Even while we try to clear ourselves, the Imperial army just might try to wipe us out altogether.

: Since this 'incident' happened in the neutral country of Saraband, their forces will also become our enemies.

: If we stay in Saraband, we are surrounded by enemies. If we go outside, the Imperial territories are filled with enemies. If we must fight, we should move forward and not look back.

: While you make your escape, I shall go to Governor Garvin, and tell him the truth.

: As you are on good terms with Garvin, your pleas might indeed be helpful.

: Trade with Saraband is vital to our country. We must persuade Governor Garvin of our innocence. Brutus. Can I rely on you?

: We'll have to forget about the Barrand peace negotiations for the time being. Still, it will not be easy to escape.

Of course, Tybalt is still a selfish jerk.

: We must not let the Imperial army all work together. We will only find a viable route if we split them up.

: I volunteer my forces to be used as a decoy. While my army creates a diversion for the Imperial army, you can leave Saraband with Synbios' forces, and return to Aspinia

: General Edmund, but that could be...

: Dantares is correct, Edmund. If you do that you will be throwing away your life.

: But if I do not, it won't be just me but ALL of us.

: Therefore, I will join my forces with yours! I cannot stand the Imperial army. If Edmund fights alongside me, I can get my revenge against Destonia!

: Tybalt... Edmund...

: I knew something like this would happen, so I was readty with a skiff. Let's go to the shore and start some trouble!

: Your lives are important... Please, try not to waste them.

Exeunt Tybalt and Edmund

: What are you doing, Benetram? You're under suspicion for all of this! You must get out of here quickly! Edmund and Tybalt's armies will be moving very shortly. Don't waste their sacrifice!

: Let us, too, get moving.

: I didn't bring you here for this, but... I know, this is a great responsibility with no warning. I'm relying on you, Synbios.

: I won't let you down, Benetram.

: I'll deal with things here. Take good care of Benetram.

There's not really anything left to do in Saraband. If we try to go anywhere other than outside, Dantares will interrupt us and tell us to go to the docking pier.

And here's our destination. Naturally, getting out isn't going to be as easy as we'd like.

They're perforated with arrows, despite the fact that none of the monks use bows.

Dantares sounds strangely disappointed that he won't have to trample over the local militia.

: By any reckoning, this is a sad state of affairs.

: If that's you, and you're here, then who is that other Benetram?

At least Hayward is smart enough to figure out that the Benetram with an entourage of Republican soldiers is the real one.

:hist101:: We can't allow that. The affairs of Saraband will be resolved by Saraband's soldiers, even if it costs us our lives.

This line is amusing. Although I didn't cap it, if you talk to random townsfolk, you realize that Saraband doesn't place much cultural importance on the military, and as a result, its soldiers are second-rate.

: Heh, I see. You will regret disobeying King Benetram as I put you to death.

That doesn't look good.

Once again, who the hell are you whispering to, Domaric?

: I am surprised to hear the “Lord of Massacres” Emperor Domaric would be so compassionate. Well then, in defense of Emperor Domaric's wishes, we will make your end swift and merciful.

: Stop... Ugh... Run away, my brother! Run!

:hist101:: You're still alive, Garosh!

: Ha! Regrettably, your advice comes a bit late.

Spinning text boxes are fun.

: No! My dear brother!

Oh please, he didn't have a portrait. He couldn't be that dear to you.

: How sadistic.

: My sources tell me the Republican army has escaped Saraband.

: The main Republican forces have deployed in the adjacent plains and the battle rages as we speak.

: Benetram is still alive. He used the bulk of his forces as a decoy. He's quite clever.

: It seems the mystery is beginning to unravel. That looks like King Benetram, but why are there no Republican guards with him? There's something wrong here.

Hayward joins Grace on the “Not Dumbasses” list.

: Please hurry ahead with Domaric. I'll catch up with you once we have things in hand here.

: They intend to kill the guard who overhead their plan and us along with him. That guard is the only witness who can prove my innocence. We must do everything we can to protect him.

There's actually two Saraband guards who can act as witnesses, and yet the we can't send the smarter one back to Garvin. :shrug:

: If anything happens to you, my lord, our decoy forces will have risked their lives for nothing. Please leave this to us.

: I understand. I'll stay out of the way and wish you luck.

The battlefield this time is just a straight line down. Ignore the green blips at the bottom; those are just barrels and I have no idea why they show up on the map.

Two new enemies. Bats have high evasion and can poison, but are very easy to kill. The masked priest is a boss who's a fat stack of hit points and not much else.

One nice thing Shining Force 3 added was this little icon. It indicates the boss of the fight, meaning that if we kill him, everyone else goes down too.

Another cool thing Shining Force 3 does is give stats to characters who aren't even supposed to be in the fight. Obviously, we're not supposed to be loving around with the fake Benetram yet. Domaric, on the other hand, looks awfully wimpy for such a menacing title.

Finally, we have this guy whom we're supposed to rescue. His stats are god awful, and if we don't beeline for him immediately, he's going to die. I also forgot to cap Hayward's stats, but suffice it to say that he's better than Synbios despite being a level lower.

: I see, so that what's going on. So many hidden enemies. Both Benetram and even I, Domaric, are mere pawns in this twisted scheme.

At the start of the second turn, the impostor and Domaric take their leave. The map is big enough that nothing actually happens before then.

Because Garosh and Hayward start halfway up the map, a bunch of enemies start attacking them instantly. They both get hit for 3 damage each,but the AI prioritizes Garosh over Hayward. If you don't make it to Garosh by the end of turn 3, he will die.

And this is why we don't really need to be afraid of bats. Apparently Masqurin spent some time studying how to cook in Alterone.

On the third turn, Synbios will be just in range to move next to Garosh and talk to him. It doesn't matter which character you use, but because there's so little variance this early in the game, this is what happens every time.

: You are members of the real Republican army? To imperonate King Benetram and take the life of my brother... I shall make them pay for this! I'll go now to inform Govenor Garvin of this, and dispel all the lies about you. I'll catch up to you later.

There's no real reason why Garosh couldn't have just run off on his own. If you manage to save Garosh like this, he will join Medion's army in scenario 2. However, if we choose to let him die:

He won't show up in scenario 2, instead being replaced by another character. While both characters are decent enough, Garosh is more focused on being a glass cannon whereas his replacement can take a few hits. Also, his replacement has a unique class and a much cooler sprite. Either way, it has little effect on the plot. At the end of this update, please vote on whether we want to save Garosh or leave him to bite the dust.

On the other hand, there's another Saraband archer we can chat up:

: I see the famous Sir Dantares is with you. Does that mean you are the army of the great Lord Conrad?

OFID Counter: 10

: His son Synbios commands here. We are chasing those masked monks and their impostor.

: To pursue such a powerful enemy... you seem to be at an obvious disadvantage in strength.

: If you want to help, we can discuss payment after we're done fighting!

: Please, allow me to join your band! I've dreamed of fighting alongside a famous warrior like Sir Dantares.

OFID Counter: 11

And now we have the second best character in scenario 1. Camelot really is destroying all expectations.

Like I said, Hayward is already far, far better than Synbios.

Between being able to one-shot bats with Masqurin and not taking any damage from monks, this fight is fairly trivial. The only real challenge is saving Garosh and Hayward.

A lot of maps will have breakable barrels sitting around. They always die in one hit and always give you 5 experience. Sometimes they'll have items hidden in them. Naturally, it's always good to bust them open if you have the time, because why not? On this map, one of the barrels contains a medical herb, and that's it.

Nope, not really scared. Also remember that the boss has even less attack than the mooks.

Archers still get weapon advantage over flying enemies. I don't think it's a flat +25% damage bonus like it was in Shining Force 2, instead staying in line with all the other weapon advantages in the game.

Our first status effect! This is slightly annoying, because Grace hasn't learned antidote yet, so we either have to burn up an antidote herb or wait until after the fight and drag Hayward to a priest.

Another fun thing about Shining Force 3: Poison no longer does a flat 2 damage per turn. It either scales on the enemy that inflicted it or on your max HP. Not really sure which.

All that's left is to surround and pound the boss. Like I said, he's got a lot of HP but no damage. For the record, Synbios hits the boss for 7, while Hayward hits for 10. That's right, our hero is being outdone by the initial archer and it's going to stay that way.

The boss does pack Tornado (formerly known as Blast). It only deals 5 damage to a single target, and thus is not much of a threat. Unfortunately, I couldn't cap the animation, but we'll be seeing it plenty more anyway.

Masqurin, on the other hand, collects free and easy experience from the stragglers.

More new stuff in Shining Force 3! A non-healer using a healing item now grants more than 1 experience! Not much more, but it's something. :shobon:

Let's just finish this with priest on priest violence, because Grace needs the experience anyway.

: In any case, Garosh is taking much too long. I wonder if he was able to clear our name.

: That's not our concern now. We need to hunt down those monks and end this abduction.

: If we waste any more time, they'll have too much of a head start. We must leave at once for Balsamo!

: I see. You're referring to the information we got from General Varlant about their base of operations. Let's go after them.

Wait, what information from Varlant? We haven't even met the guy yet.

On the other hand, if we failed to save Garosh, the dialogue is slightly different:

: We did our best, but he would have only had so much influence. Right now, we need to catch those monks instead.

: Indeed. Synbios, they must be headed for Balsamo. We must pursue them! If we hurry, we can still catch them.

: Let's be off before a search party from Saraband or the Empire can catch up to us.

:siren: Please remember to vote over whether we save Garosh or not. :siren:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No.

All in the name of coolness.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I vote that we don't deal with Garosh's bugged HP and let him die. Also Egress from the next fight and go talk to the people hanging around the guard barracks.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Let Garrosh Die.

Also, don't you need to destroy one of the barrels on this map to get an item on one of the ships afterwards?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Garosh can bite the dust.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Let Garrosh Die.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I usually saved him out of principle, but honestly he never looked that interesting to me. So let him die and we'll see who we get instead.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Fraternal vengeance vs. cold, hard numbers. Eh, let him die. Kind of a stupid plot hook, anyway.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You guys are heartless.

True Heroes don't fail to save their allies, save Garosh

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Fraternal vengeance vs. cold, hard numbers. Eh, let him die. Kind of a stupid plot hook, anyway.

I think the cold hard numbers say he's better at hitting things than his replacement, he just turns into a spectacular glass cannon.

*edited because spoiles*

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 9, 2013

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
TB's LP was what got me hooked on the forums back in the day. I've always wanted to see the entire thing to it's end. I hope you 100% this, because I remember a couple of areas being loving tough as hell to complete.

EDIT: Ah, well, let the fucker die I guess.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ardeem posted:

minor spoilers

I'd appreciate if you put some spoiler tags around that, or just changed it to "his replacement" instead.

Anyway, the variance between Garosh and his replacement isn't large. Scenario 2 gives you way too many characters of their class type anyway.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Always wanted to see someone LP this awesome game. Played Scenario 1 and felt completely cheated by not getting Scenarios 2 and 3. Also, for a Sakuraba Motoi OST, this is one of his few great ones. It seems that he can do brilliant work with every game that isn't Star Ocean or Tales. Baten Kaitos for that matter was awesome despite its myriad other problems.

Also Save Garosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I know I'm in the minority here, but valiance and honor demand that Garosh live to avenge his fallen (faceless) brother!

• Locked thread