Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
I had painted a single Khador Widowmaker a couple months ago. Here is the rest of the box set painted in the same scheme:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Bachtere posted:

I had painted a single Khador Widowmaker a couple months ago. Here is the rest of the box set painted in the same scheme:

Bachteres: How do they work?

Those look great. I always like your work.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Really Useful Boxes
I use them to store all my unbased Flames of War dudes.

I knew they looked familiar! I have a bunch of them I use to store various gaming bits.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Got my first Dwarf regiment finished after buying an army box on Saturday:

I'm going to try and make the regiments look like they're in the middle of a battle rather than being on parade or marching. I've ordered a bunch of casualty packs from Perry Miniatures for victims.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm not really a fan of Mantic models, but those look awesome. Interesting conversion work and great paint!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Those are cool. How are you going to mark casualties? Do they come off the base?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
In general what kindof line thickness should I expect for each nozzle/needle size in an airbrush? I know it's dependant on a number of things - I'm just trying to work out if I should be expecting my airbrush to do highlighting work on my scythe or not.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Lethemonster posted:

In general what kindof line thickness should I expect for each nozzle/needle size in an airbrush? I know it's dependant on a number of things - I'm just trying to work out if I should be expecting my airbrush to do highlighting work on my scythe or not.

You can do highlighting on your Scythe (I assume you mean the flier).

Obviously get the smallest needle/nozzle pair, drop the pressure down, and keep your paints thin. And go for two coats instead of one. It won't be a razor-thin highlight, obviously, but a much more subtle one.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I've only got a 0.35mm. Trying to work out what reasonable expectations should be.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Depending on the quality of the brush you can still get very thin lines, but there are a multitude of things already mentioned that can/will affect how thin you can go.

Bachtere - dude, amazing stuff as usual! I feel ashamed of the counts-as cultists I've worked on tonight. Have you ever done a step-by-step pictorial? or do you have a painting blog/site?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lethemonster posted:

I've only got a 0.35mm. Trying to work out what reasonable expectations should be.

I would guess you would be able to make Sharpie-width lines but not pen-width lines.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
Hey sculpting is kinda fun! Well, lets see, now the hands...

Crap. I'm taking a mulligan...

Crap...

Son of a bitch!

:suicide:

Edit: I totally cheated and threw on some spare hands and a head I had laying around. Done deal. Babby's first sculpt.

Upon close inspection the proportions are off in a few ways. One leg is too long, the hips are misaligned and the scale is too close to 32mm (I was aiming for 28mm heroic)

Still, not terrible for a first go around I'd say. This was not my first use of sculpting materials but it was my first shot making a miniature from scratch. Also, to further compound my noobie difficulties I did not have a reference drawing for what I was doing... going 'off the cuff' worked against me in this case. Oh well, it was just an exercise in any case.

I'm already well in to model 2 which is... different, to say the least :v:

Purgey fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 8, 2013

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
I can not resist posting this immediately after finding it:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Figures my lovely, hand-me-down camera would poo poo the bed right when I'm trying to take pictures with it, so have some lovely cell phone pics of my completed Covenanter command group.

Captain:

Sergeant:

Bagpiper (I might try to add some plaid to the bagpipe later):

Full command group with Ensign:

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Verdugo posted:

Those are cool. How are you going to mark casualties? Do they come off the base?

Cheers! In Kings of War you don't remove individual models. Units act as a single solid block more like a single multi-wound monster in WHF. It allows you to put any models you like on a base as long as the units overall footprint is the right size (100x80mm for a regiment).

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Purgey posted:

I have to admit that is pretty legit. Not sure why the video needs to be 5+ minutes, but its still a cool boat.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Has anyone got any experience with applying an oil wash over an airbrush-applied, finish-with-future-shine'd surface? If not I guess it's time for a science project.

e: or a bottle of Liquitex gloss

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If its gloss then that is actually the preferred surface to put an oil wash onto (since you can clean it up way easier). Matte or anything textured is bumpy and will lead to harder clean up and worse capillary action.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Purgey posted:

I award it 8/10 points, penalized for missing a giant front-mounted paddlewheel deffrolla.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

BULBASAUR posted:

If its gloss then that is actually the preferred surface to put an oil wash onto (since you can clean it up way easier). Matte or anything textured is bumpy and will lead to harder clean up and worse capillary action.

Right - I was wondering more if the future shine finish was resistant enough to the oil wash, but it's acrylic, so it shouldn't make much difference I guess. I have some gloss varnish ordered anyway so I'll test them out at some point.

More importantly, and as was bound to happen once I oathed something -

My TC-20T compressor just stopped working. It may have overheated - it was definitely warm when I checked it, but after cooling off for the last 4 hours it's still not wanting to start up again. It's under warranty, but if anyone knows a trick to get it going again that would be wonderful.

EDIT: I guess while I'm waiting for the new compressor to ship out I could switch to CO2 - for that I just need a cannister, regulator, and two hoses, right?

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 8, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeesh, that's a bummer. Something like that I would just box it up and get an RMA number or whatever, but maybe someone will have an idea.

I just started using my actual proper airbrush compressor last night, what a relief to have that going instead of the OVERLY LOUD SHOP COMPRESSOR I've used up to now. Had to pay £80 instead of building a big wooden box with sound-absorbing stuff inside, but so far it's worth it. Set it on top of some carpet remnants to absorb vibrations and I have to concentrate to hear it on the floor below me. I need to move it farther away from my work desk though, I can barely hear my laptop when I'm playing videos.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Ugh. Just ugh. I hate it when you have something in mind for a project and then it completely fails to transfer through from your mind.

I'm now soaking my giant aquila terrain that I oathed. I wanted to make it look all ruins jungly but it just sat on my desk looking like a piece of poop. I spent ages buffing real gold paint onto it as well. I wish I hadn't oathed it now :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
2 things pop into my mind:

1. how big a tub do you need to soak that think in Dettol or whatever?, and
2. oathbreaker avatars are entirely optional this time around (but oathbreakers do go on the Wall of Shame), but there's plenty of time to finish

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

krushgroove posted:

2 things pop into my mind:

1. how big a tub do you need to soak that think in Dettol or whatever?, and
2. oathbreaker avatars are entirely optional this time around (but oathbreakers do go on the Wall of Shame), but there's plenty of time to finish

It's soaking in a big tupperware now. I'm trying to think of new plans but my brain is stuck on a wild, jungley type setting for it.

Maybe I'll paint it neon and have it as a Space Marine rave site.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

2. oathbreaker avatars are entirely optional this time around
And this is different how?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It's...not...compulsory now?

There was no choice last time, and some people really didn't want the avatar, even if they'd failed their oath - this time you still get penalized for it (no points for completion and the Wall of Shame) but getting the avatar is optional.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

It's...not...compulsory now?

There was no choice last time, and some people really didn't want the avatar, even if they'd failed their oath - this time you still get penalized for it (no points for completion and the Wall of Shame) but getting the avatar is optional.
I failed like 3 oaths and I still don't have an oathbreaker, so nothing's changed :v:

VVV: Err no, I was on the random list. Twice :rolleyes:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 8, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha - yeah it was random pick I think for who got the avatars, not sure how we'll pick who gets one this time around but one person will have the choice every month.

tbh, I never wanted to get the avatar so I always made sure to finish my models on time, even if I wasn't 100% happy with them!

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

IrvingWashington posted:

Has anyone got any experience with applying an oil wash over an airbrush-applied, finish-with-future-shine'd surface? If not I guess it's time for a science project.

e: or a bottle of Liquitex gloss

Worked well enough with my Deathwing termies. I airbrushed their armour, sprayed on some Pledge Multi-Surface Wax (apparently the UK's Klear-equivalent) and then pin-washed them with Raw Umber. I would maybe recommend buying a decent solvent for the oil; using cheapo DIY store white spirit, my wash looked fine while wet, but went a teensy bit patchy after drying. However, that may just have been due to me loving up and over-thinning everything.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

OneTrueBru posted:

Worked well enough with my Deathwing termies. I airbrushed their armour, sprayed on some Pledge Multi-Surface Wax (apparently the UK's Klear-equivalent) and then pin-washed them with Raw Umber. I would maybe recommend buying a decent solvent for the oil; using cheapo DIY store white spirit, my wash looked fine while wet, but went a teensy bit patchy after drying. However, that may just have been due to me loving up and over-thinning everything.

These minis are the reason I keep persevering with the oil washing. I either can't get the paint thin enough to flow or it dries speckly and I want to give up. Then I look at your sexy terminators, sigh, and start again.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

Lethemonster posted:

These minis are the reason I keep persevering with the oil washing. I either can't get the paint thin enough to flow or it dries speckly and I want to give up. Then I look at your sexy terminators, sigh, and start again.

It's speckled a bit on my termies, too. It's not horrendously awful, but if you look at the close-up pics I posted a week or two back, you can see where the wash has "broken up" in the recesses. The most irritating thing is that everything will look perfectly fine while wet, but as the spirit evaporates off, the pigment seems to collect into clusters.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what causes the problem. I'm definitely going to try a better quality thinner next time (and I have an entire DV boxset to paint, so there's ample practice opportunity :suicide:), but if that doesn't fix the issue then it's probably down to dodgy technique. I can't imagine it's the paints themselves, the pigment looks nice and fine in suspension, and it all flows smoothly - everything just seems to go tits up when the solvent dries.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Purgey posted:

I liked it, but am disappointed that there wasn't a krusha jaw on the prow that opened to bite other RC boats and tear chunks from their hulls.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Progress update on my Firestorm Armada Sorylian fleet.

I need to clean up some overspray that the masking didnt catch on the white. Need to go over the metalic again, and then do some chipping / wearing on the white in places. Lastly a pin wash for the detail/cracks. I was thinking a reddish brown, but now I am not sure now that there is white on the models, thinking black may be better now. Oh and cant forget the engine OSL.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Your paint job is good but why do you have a fleet of flying dildos?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JerryLee posted:

Industrial strength, to rape the enemy, obviously.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JerryLee posted:

[psychoanalyze]More importantly, why do you see them as dildos? How was your relationship with you mother?[/psychoanalyze]

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

OneTrueBru posted:

I'm definitely going to try a better quality thinner next time (and I have an entire DV boxset to paint, so there's ample practice opportunity :suicide:), but if that doesn't fix the issue then it's probably down to dodgy technique. I can't imagine it's the paints themselves, the pigment looks nice and fine in suspension, and it all flows smoothly - everything just seems to go tits up when the solvent dries.

Assuming it's just the thinner, what kind would you use?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Still working on my hellbrute, got a few sessions to go yet. The gold should become darker after the oil wash:

Getting a hammerhead with longstrike on Friday though so I better hurry up.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

Slimnoid posted:

Something more expensive than £2.00, and that isn't stocked at Homebase. :v:

Most likely just a "proper" brand of white/mineral spirit (or turpentine, I'm not sure what advantages the natural stuff has though). I've no idea if fancy artist's solvents will make a huge difference, but they're not overly costly and I can use the cheap stuff as a brush cleaner, so there's no waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

OneTrueBru posted:

Okay, if I can achieve anything close to this with PledgeFutureMultiKlearWax then I'm convinced. Obviously I'll need an injection of talent too, but there are all kinds of dark arts and sacrifices in the literature. I love those so drat much.

Also in Dead Compressor News, I called TCP Global and because I've only had the thing for a couple weeks they are going to rush-ship a new compressor to me! I don't even have to return the old one. I keep having decent customer service these days, and I can't help but notice most of it is coming from the 'miniatures and related' sector. Totally rad.

Slimnoid posted:

Les Bursley and his Wargaming Consortium friends are keen on the odorless thinner with a picture of the Mona Lisa on the bottle. Here it is. I've not used it; I have a big ol' jug of odorless mineral spirits I got for $7. I'm now starting to think I should grab a test model from my box of gubbins first :ohdear:

• Locked thread