Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

I don't know why it's being so uncooperative. You could instead modify the .dta inside the actual DLC you wanted to "fix", then rebuild your cache; Rock Band 3 will then make a new entry that mirrors whatever you put in the dta.
Would that work on an unmodded Xbox? I was under the impression that repackaged DLC files would need a J-tag console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Minidust posted:

Would that work on an unmodded Xbox? I was under the impression that repackaged DLC files would need a J-tag console.

Oh, you are probably right. I was in the mindset for customs still. :doh:
Here's a plastic guitar related video to make up for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22gCyiqMlvs

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1) :golfclap:
2) Now I'm reminded of the one time I played one one of those and how my body felt after carrying that 200lb guitar and the fretsdesigned to destroy my left hand. Thanks for the PTSD jerkass. :colbert:

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

So I'm going to attempt to rename some songs for my cache to better organize stuff using the RBHP method.

Any idea what the most elegant solution would be for taking all the non-RB3 versions I can't delete 'cause they're in packs, to keep them out of their main area? IE, I'm basically thinking of just putting them all under an artist titled "zzzz Don't Play" or the like so they sort at the very bottom; is there a better option?

(Obviously this is for Title Update 4 where 1 lighter isn't an option.)

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

You could see if renaming the artist and song title to nothing would prevent them from being listed. That way the song will still be in the cache (since the songid would remain unchanged) but the engine wouldn't know how to place it on the list. This could cause one of several things things:
  • RB3 doesn't render the songs in your library when sorting by song name or artist. You might get nameless ghost songs when sorting by difficulty though!
  • The songs still appear with placeholder names hardcoded into the RB3 engine to prevent crashes when nameless songs appear. It may substitute the songid or have a silly placeholder name like NULLSONG or missingno.
  • RB3 crashes when viewing the cache every time you start up until you undo the modification! Hooray.

The T
May 29, 2010

Sounds exciting! I'll see what happens and report back.

EDIT: And the results are in! Surprisingly, it was none of those.

It just lists them with a blank artist and title, unsurprisingly enough. They are sorted at the very top of the list when I sort by artist. When I sort by song title, they are right below the two Viva la Glorias (with the upside down ! and ? respectively). Not exactly what I want to keep them out of the way, but still neat to know!

EDIT2: And just confirmed that it worked like a charm. I was able to load back up the LRB songs while keeping the 2 Queen and 1 Bon Jovi song still sorted as "zzzzzz". I'm so happy. :v:

EDIT3: Did a bunch more changes and found that... for whatever reason, putting them all in the same songs.dta wouldn't work. It just would not read some of them. Splitting up based on pack origin into separate cons worked fine though.

The T fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 6, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

So I'm going to attempt to rename some songs for my cache to better organize stuff using the RBHP method.

Any idea what the most elegant solution would be for taking all the non-RB3 versions I can't delete 'cause they're in packs, to keep them out of their main area? IE, I'm basically thinking of just putting them all under an artist titled "zzzz Don't Play" or the like so they sort at the very bottom; is there a better option?

(Obviously this is for Title Update 4 where 1 lighter isn't an option.)
Could a song's rating (i.e. "Family Friendly", "Supervision Recommended", etc.) be modified in the cache file? And if so, would that override an individual song's .dta info when viewing the library?

I had an idea where you could play with song ratings so that only the songs you want to hide are listed as "unrated" (you'd have to go and add ratings for RBN and some customs). You could then go into your library options and filter out the unrated tracks. Boom, same functionality as hiding 1-lightered songs!

btw, how did you go about editing your cache file? Were you able to just modify in notepad? Was Le Fluffie involved?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 6, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Minidust posted:

Could a song's rating (i.e. "Family Friendly", "Supervision Recommended", etc.) be modified in the cache file? And if so, would that override an individual song's .dta info when viewing the library?

A song's .dta is only used once for writing to the cache, and then the cache is always referenced from then on, so yeah, whatever the cache says overrides what the actual song file's dta says. This goes all the way to loading and playing a song (I noticed this when testing customs and one still had a tonic vocal scale even though the version loaded had no tonic information; RB3 was loading the song using the cache which was built around a different copy of the song with more features).
If you waned to edit songs' ratings the value breakdown is 1 = Family Friendly, 2 = Supervision recommended, 3 = Mature (doesn't work), 4 = Unrated.
"Mature" is disabled/unfinished; using value "3" will make the song appear as "Unrated."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

A song's .dta is only used once for writing to the cache, and then the cache is always referenced from then on, so yeah, whatever the cache says overrides what the actual song file's dta says. This goes all the way to loading and playing a song (I noticed this when testing customs and one still had a tonic vocal scale even though the version loaded had no tonic information; RB3 was loading the song using the cache which was built around a different copy of the song with more features).
If you waned to edit songs' ratings the value breakdown is 1 = Family Friendly, 2 = Supervision recommended, 3 = Mature (doesn't work), 4 = Unrated.
"Mature" is disabled/unfinished; using value "3" will make the song appear as "Unrated."
What's this about the Mature rating? I am 100% certain you can filter songs by it. I've actually re-rated some customs as mature (using .dta files for individual songs), and then used the in-game library filter to test. I've currently got 7 manually-rated "mature" songs showing up.

Or are you saying that you can't use the "3" rating when directly editing the cache file? I wouldn't know much about that since I haven't figured out manual cache editing yet. But if you edit a single song's .dta, a 3 definitely works!

Anyway, that's really interesting to hear about the interplay between .dta and cache. So if you wanted to go to the trouble of rating any unrated songs, you could reserve that "4" rating for songs you wanted to hide. Neato!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

If that's the case, then that means 100% of the Mature songs I own aren't flagged correctly. :v:
I downloaded a couple "mature" tracks but they always appeared as "Unrated" and a "mature" filter still doesn't show up in my library options. :(
I personally haven't made a song that required a "mature" rating, I assumed that the people releasing songs that are overtly branded "mature" (including on C3) would have had the in-game setting done right.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

If that's the case, then that means 100% of the Mature songs I own aren't flagged correctly. :v:
I downloaded a couple "mature" tracks but they always appeared as "Unrated" and a "mature" filter still doesn't show up in my library options. :(
I personally haven't made a song that required a "mature" rating, I assumed that the people releasing songs that are overtly branded "mature" (including on C3) would have had the in-game setting done right.
I'm sure the C3 dudes have their hands full with the important stuff, but yeah, their "mature" labeling has been off. They listed "Given Up" by Linkin Park as Mature, but it doesn't show up that way in game (and the actual song audio is the clean version anyway :v:). Meanwhile, the GHtoRB3 files for "Creeping Death" and "Trapped Under Ice" show up as Mature in-game for some reason. I manually changed those myself.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is there any reason that custom pro guitar charts seem to have all of their chords with C as the root? I'm grateful that there's any new pro guitar stuff to play, but it throws me off sometimes when it would be helpful to have working.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

E:^^ I haven't seen what you're talking about. My songs don't do that?
Needless to say 99% of custom Pro Guitar charts are wildly inaccurate.

Well then, I take back my previous statement about song rating "3" being broke. It only appeared that way from all the customs I've seen.
Normally I'd hit up these folks I know who used to work at HMX before the layoffs happened, they offer me insight to lots of game-engine related things and answer authoring questions I have, but none of them were involved with the metadata situation (what they know most about is the Pro Guitar engine, the audio engine, and the netcode which is useless for authoring). :v:

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Minidust posted:

I'm sure the C3 dudes have their hands full with the important stuff, but yeah, their "mature" labeling has been off. They listed "Given Up" by Linkin Park as Mature, but it doesn't show up that way in game (and the actual song audio is the clean version anyway :v:). Meanwhile, the GHtoRB3 files for "Creeping Death" and "Trapped Under Ice" show up as Mature in-game for some reason. I manually changed those myself.
Personally I prefer leaving them at the default "mature" - that's how I filter for customs. Wish there was another way.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
I know this isn't going to happen since it would be a modification of the Rock Band engine, but I wish there was a way to simplify the song list. It'd be awesome if every song was condensed under a header (say A-Z for song name, or only list artist names) and you hit the confirm button to expand that selection. That way people could see all the bands instead of getting stuck in something like Green Day.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Funny you should say that. Remember how awful RB1's song library was? Yet the store browser was excellent, and in RB2, they touted how the new library system used the better system the store had. Then in RB2, the store could sort by subgenre to make it easier to wade through all the poo poo RBN tracks. Now in RB3 the library has the same RBN integration as the RB2 store, and the RB3 store has the ability to scroll by artist name. Basically for every Rock Band game, the store has been one step ahead of the library, but they always add the last game's store's functionality to the next game's library.

The problem here is there is no next game.

The T
May 29, 2010

Minidust posted:

btw, how did you go about editing your cache file? Were you able to just modify in notepad? Was Le Fluffie involved?

Basically, I did the same thing the RBHP guys do. I made a songs.dta, copied the official data from the songs.dta of that same track, modified what I wanted to, and then put my modified dta into a BRAND NEW blank file in Le Fluffie. All it contains is the song.dta in the songs folder. Then I delete the original songs from the hard drive, load up the dummy file, and voila--it loads up the new information, with a blank album art, and doesn't allow you to play it--then re-download/re-put on the official DLC pack, re-load it, and it will reload all of the other songs in the pack, fill in the album art and playability (not that you need that) for the previously dummied file, while keeping all the rest of the information.

You could modify pretty much anything with this; I'm not sure how album art is stored so possibly not that? Someone smarter should answer this one for me.

As for the Mature tag, yes, I've seen it on a handful of customs too, but most customs seem to stick with unrated (and being sorted into RBN category).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Basically, I did the same thing the RBHP guys do. I made a songs.dta, copied the official data from the songs.dta of that same track, modified what I wanted to, and then put my modified dta into a BRAND NEW blank file in Le Fluffie. All it contains is the song.dta in the songs folder. Then I delete the original songs from the hard drive, load up the dummy file, and voila--it loads up the new information, with a blank album art, and doesn't allow you to play it--then re-download/re-put on the official DLC pack, re-load it, and it will reload all of the other songs in the pack, fill in the album art and playability (not that you need that) for the previously dummied file, while keeping all the rest of the information.

You could modify pretty much anything with this; I'm not sure how album art is stored so possibly not that? Someone smarter should answer this one for me.
:aaaaa: Fascinating! Have you been doing a separate dummy package for each song, or can you just dump the text from multiple .dta files into one long mess in notepad, then rebuild a single upgrade thingy (which I guess is what RBHP does... although they simply direct to new MIDIs rather than change metadata like we're talking about)? Would either method work? Does the name of the .dta file(s) matter or does RB just load up whatever it finds in that format?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Minidust posted:

I'm sure the C3 dudes have their hands full with the important stuff, but yeah, their "mature" labeling has been off. They listed "Given Up" by Linkin Park as Mature, but it doesn't show up that way in game (and the actual song audio is the clean version anyway :v:).

I am personally responsible for 100% of those ratings, which are done at the last minute before shoving a blog post out the door. I "sanitize" the data a bit so that the DB looks more consistent than the actual data is. :ssh:

Given Up was my bad, though, thanks for the catch! (fixed)

The T
May 29, 2010

Minidust posted:

:aaaaa: Fascinating! Have you been doing a separate dummy package for each song, or can you just dump the text from multiple .dta files into one long mess in notepad, then rebuild a single upgrade thingy (which I guess is what RBHP does... although they simply direct to new MIDIs rather than change metadata like we're talking about)? Would either method work? Does the name of the .dta file(s) matter or does RB just load up whatever it finds in that format?

I tried doing it all at once and it didn't work. (To be specific; only the first few worked and it just ignored the rest.) I think it might be because, RBHP puts them all in the same format, while older DLC are in different formats, so different formats don't mix or something. So to make it easiest I would say do a seperate one for each pack you're modifying.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

TransatlanticFoe posted:

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is there any reason that custom pro guitar charts seem to have all of their chords with C as the root? I'm grateful that there's any new pro guitar stuff to play, but it throws me off sometimes when it would be helpful to have working.

I played a song and finally understand what you were talking about.
All the chords say that the root is C because whoever charted it didn't name the chords, and the game defaults to C. :ms:
The problem is it's way slower for me to go correcting all these copy-pasted tabs than it is for authors to keep making GBS threads boatloads of them out, but I'll get on it for the Beatles songs at least.

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

I have custom CONs for a couple of non-exportable Rock Band songs (Enter Sandman and Any Way You Want It) that are each broken in a small way: Enter Sandman's vocal phrases scroll very slowly and Any Way You Want It has no stage, band or camera animations.

I know that vocal scroll speed is a single numerical value, and I think that the camera/stage/animation problem can be fixed by updating an entry for animation "version" or something like that.

I'd rather not set up and learn a complete authoring system with Reaper/Magma etc. to make such small changes. What is the least invasive way to edit these values and re-install the songs?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

• Open Enter Sandman in Lefluffie, look at its contents, find and extract the songs.dta file to anywhere on your computer.
  • Edit the songs.dta in notepad.
  • Set song_scroll_speed to "2300" (the default value) and save it
  • Back in lefluffie right click on the old songs.dta you extracted and choose "replace" and replace it with the modified one.
  • Be sure to go back to the main tab and hit "recompile"/"rebuild" and wait 30 seconds or else your file will become corrupt
  • You just modified a CON!

For Any Way You Want it, we'd need more information. It could be whoever ported it forgot to use the venue track of the midi. Though if they tried to change the song source to RB2 like the official songs, that would also break venue animation. See what the song_source is in its dta.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I downloaded a couple of customs last night and assumed they were normal (albeit unsigned obviously) DLC files so put them onto my console hard disk. Unfortunately they didn't show up.

What's the procedure for installing them onto a JTAG/RGH console?

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

~Coxy posted:

I downloaded a couple of customs last night and assumed they were normal (albeit unsigned obviously) DLC files so put them onto my console hard disk. Unfortunately they didn't show up.

What's the procedure for installing them onto a JTAG/RGH console?

They're considered save games, not regular DLC. Need to put them in the RB3 save folder. Of course since you have a JTAG you could resign them as marketplace content and they should work.

Dr Zaius fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 8, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

I tried doing it all at once and it didn't work. (To be specific; only the first few worked and it just ignored the rest.) I think it might be because, RBHP puts them all in the same format, while older DLC are in different formats, so different formats don't mix or something. So to make it easiest I would say do a seperate one for each pack you're modifying.
Thanks for the tips!

I played with this tonight and I've got it partially working. My edited song data remains in the in-game libary after the rest of the cache rebuilds, but album art is missing (the white square, like in the RBHP setup), no audio preview plays, and the songs don't actually load up when you try to start them. I'm guessing I need to add some kind of file path info to the dummy .dta files?

pksage posted:

I am personally responsible for 100% of those ratings, which are done at the last minute before shoving a blog post out the door. I "sanitize" the data a bit so that the DB looks more consistent than the actual data is. :ssh:

Given Up was my bad, though, thanks for the catch! (fixed)
haha cool. Thanks for all you're doing man!!:cheers:

Minidust fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 8, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

Minidust posted:

Thanks for the tips!

I played with this tonight and I've got it partially working. My edited song data remains in the in-game libary after the rest of the cache rebuilds, but album art is missing (the white square, like in the RBHP setup), no audio preview plays, and the songs don't actually load up when you try to start them. I'm guessing I need to add some kind of file path info to the dummy .dta files?

That's the dummy data. After you load that, then you add the regular DLC back in, having both files present at once. Load that in, and it will load the rest of the data back in. After that, then you can delete the dummy file, as everything is now permanently stored in your cache (unless you delete the songs again or delete your cache.)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

That's the dummy data. After you load that, then you add the regular DLC back in, having both files present at once. Load that in, and it will load the rest of the data back in. After that, then you can delete the dummy file, as everything is now permanently stored in your cache (unless you delete the songs again or delete your cache.)
Ah of course! Okay, I deleted my dummy data and now everything works. :hellyeah:

Got some more work to do before I'm finished, but now I can filter by song rating and get only these results:

Those songs are "unrated" now. So if I filter out the unrated songs, it will be like I still have the "Hide 1-Lighter songs" option from Title Update 5!

EDIT: Was there a different format for rating RB1 songs? I couldn't find the rating value anywhere in "Wanted Dead Or Alive," and when I added it manually in the dummy .dta the game ignored it. At least RB1 songs can just be deleted individually if nothing else works.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 8, 2013

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

RB1 songs might have no rating data at all. HMX accounted for past songs missing metadata by including updated .dta's and midi's in the RB3 disc. That's probably why RB3 ignores your modifications, it was taught to ignore the source material and reference a built-in replacement.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 8, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

I was able to modify the artist for a RB1 file in the .dta (I changed the Vagiant song to be by Tijuana Sweetheart, so it sorted with their other tracks); dunno if ratings just work different for it (seems possible!) but. I would also guess, that if it had different info in the dummy file, that will still replace it in the cache.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

RB1 songs might have no rating data at all. HMX accounted for past songs missing metadata by including updated .dta's and midi's in the RB3 disc. That's probably why RB3 ignores your modifications, it was taught to ignore the source material and reference a built-in replacement.
Hmm, could be. Didn't they handle the stealth harmony upgrades to Pearl Jam songs the same way? RB1 songs had rating data in Lego RB too, probably also through disc-based modification like you said.

The T posted:

I was able to modify the artist for a RB1 file in the .dta (I changed the Vagiant song to be by Tijuana Sweetheart, so it sorted with their other tracks); dunno if ratings just work different for it (seems possible!) but. I would also guess, that if it had different info in the dummy file, that will still replace it in the cache.
Yeah I'm guessing that anything that actually has a value in a RB1 .dta file could still be changed. It just wouldn't support modifications for values that weren't originally there. That's probably where things like "song origin" and the mysterious "format" tags come into play.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

If anyone's interested, I wrote a brief article regarding getting the charting for "Rain" as accurate as possible.
http://orangeharrison.tumblr.com/post/49964529568/heres-a-fun-story-for-the-players-with-an-eye-for-the

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I'm really interested in seeing how you're going to seperate out everything when you chart Real Love

The T
May 29, 2010

Orange Harrison posted:

If anyone's interested, I wrote a brief article regarding getting the charting for "Rain" as accurate as possible.
http://orangeharrison.tumblr.com/post/49964529568/heres-a-fun-story-for-the-players-with-an-eye-for-the

I almost feel off saying this because I'd also rather you just keep making your amazing tracks than this, but: If you ever ever have time, I really hope you and the rest of the C3 guys can put together a making-customs guide. I want to have your knowledge. I want to make customs a million time worse than yours.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Orange Harrison posted:

There are at least 3 RBN songs that use tuning_offset_cents. Happens every now and then.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175311&page=2

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

The T posted:

I almost feel off saying this because I'd also rather you just keep making your amazing tracks than this, but: If you ever ever have time, I really hope you and the rest of the C3 guys can put together a making-customs guide. I want to have your knowledge. I want to make customs a million time worse than yours.
In the works.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Dr Zaius posted:

They're considered save games, not regular DLC. Need to put them in the RB3 save folder. Of course since you have a JTAG you could resign them as marketplace content and they should work.

Is it very hard or involved to turn them into a DLC file instead?
That way I guess I would be able to keep TU6 as well.

The T
May 29, 2010

Since when was there a TU6?

Also, how does using a hacked TU5 prevent them from workng?

Also maybe you shouldn't hack your console if you don't know how to use it when it's hacked.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Nyxyxylyth posted:

There are at least 3 RBN songs that use tuning_offset_cents. Happens every now and then.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175311&page=2

Wait wait, you can edit the .dta of legit RBN files? Why was "Great Balls of Fire" let through with a release date of 2005 if that limitation was sidesteppable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The T posted:

Since when was there a TU6?

Also, how does using a hacked TU5 prevent them from workng?

Also maybe you shouldn't hack your console if you don't know how to use it when it's hacked.

Whatever the latest TU for RB3 is.

And basically every question in the last few pages is talking about hacked content so I don't see the problem in what I'm asking.
The main reason I got a JTAG console is because it was cheaper than buying a MS-brand HDD. Custom content is a bonus.

• Locked thread