Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I completely agree. Don't mean to seem ungrateful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I had always had those "Ska guy" friends that were way into Ska. Which is not to say that I didn't appreciate Ska beforehand, but I just never really got into it. The Hands That Thieve changed that. I've listened to this album waaaay too many times to count now. I don't even know why anymore, it's just got me that good :psyduck:

Brock Velocity
Aug 5, 2012
So my opinion may still change, but after a couple of listens, I'm going to say that by SM's standards, THTT is a good--but not great--album. There's tons of great stuff on there, but both the individual songs and the album as a whole seems to lack focus and direction. That's a weird complaint about music, but I get the feeling frequently throughout this record that Tomas either didn't know to write next or came up with a placeholder idea and then stuck with it. If you compare that with SITB, where every single song exudes confidence and determination, this record just feels a bit meandering. Throughout listening to it, I kept feeling like I should love these songs that, in the end, I only liked.

Take the instrumental bridge in The Three Of Us. SM is great at these long instrumental breakdowns, but from a musical standpoint, this one is kind of bland. Look at 3:07-3:47. It has the energy part down, but it's just one very short progression over and over again, on guitar, with hardly any horns or melodies accompanying it. It feels like a waste to me it; it doesn't build any tension and there's no release at the end (although I should say that I really like the song on the whole).

I'm also disappointed that Tomas a) cranked up the fast-paced punk stuff, like on Ungrateful and They Broke Him Down, which is by far my least favorite element of ska-punk, and b) almost completely eliminated the crisp electric guitar upstrokes and replaced them with acoustic strumming. That second one in particular significantly decreased my enjoyment of the record.

Songs: The Littlest Things is SM at their best in classic form. The horn melody during the chorus has exactly the kind of minor-key ska intensity that I love, and it strikes the perfect balance of elements that, unfortunately, a lot of the other songs lack. The title track is just fantastic; it took me a couple of listens to get into it but now it's one of my favorites on the album. Oh Me, Oh My is awesome; it reminds me a ton of Somewhere in the Between (the song), both lyrically and rhythmically. If Only For Memories is kind of a good song, but I just hate the horn intro and it's hard for me to get through it. Toe to Toe is all right but I could happily never listen to it again in my life and not lose any sleep. Your Day Will Come is bafflingly underwhelming to me, especially for the closing song on the record, and is indicative of my problems with the album as a whole.

On the whole, I'd probably say this is probably on par with EGN and worse than SITB. Again, still a good record, but I expect more than good with SM.

Side note: For all of this album's flaws, I think the Toh Kay version is near-flawless and am much more stoked on it, at least at this stage, than I am the SM version.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Seeing all of these varying opinions is really cool. Everyone likes something from the new SM album but so far no one has liked every bit of it. That may be the true genius behind the album.

Brock Velocity
Aug 5, 2012

Hobbit posted:

Seeing all of these varying opinions is really cool. Everyone likes something from the new SM album but so far no one has liked every bit of it. That may be the true genius behind the album.

Not to get off on a derail, but I once heard someone describe Tom Waits like that--no one likes all of his stuff but everyone likes some of it. I think that's usually a good sign when it comes to music.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's definitely good for conversation at least.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

For me, the first half is rad as hell but the second half kinda falls off. It's not bad at all, but there's just something about it

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hobbit posted:

I love everything Streetlight has done, every song on this album included.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Oh me, oh my, goodness gracious, George Takei

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
To shift away from Streetlight permanently delayed chat, I recently rediscovered The Stolen Records on Spotify. They're not entirely ska per say but I saw them open for a bunch of ska bands at the Middle East in Cambridge. I only knew them locally so I'm not sure if they ever made any noise outside of Massachusetts but their album called Basement Songs is excellent. Tequilla Reggae is probably my personal favorite song on it

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I saw a guy putting up posters in a record store today, and they had one for the Apple Stomp. When I asked him about it, he launched into a ten minute conversation about how psyched he was for Murphy's Law, his neighbor is in the Slackers, etc. I was with him up until he said "That M..U..whatever, they're terrible."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just came back from Sunfest and saw Less than Jake and Reel Big Fish perform back-to-back. I was so happy to hear "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" and "Beer" live.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Action Tortoise posted:

I just came back from Sunfest and saw Less than Jake and Reel Big Fish perform back-to-back. I was so happy to hear "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" and "Beer" live.

When I saw Less Than Jake they did Selling Yourself Short and released a whole bunch of confetti. It was pretty cool.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Action Tortoise posted:

About 5 or 6 years ago they toured together. Opening acts: Against All Authority and Streetlight. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
After seeing those two, Streetlight Manifesto and Mad Caddies are next on my list to see live.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

https://www.facebook.com/SManifesto/posts/10151601653630747

Hey guys
So in the interest of trying to get this wrapped up as quickly and as fairly to everyone as possible, we put together a FAQ to answer the most common questions we've been getting. If you still have a question or concern, please feel free to call us at (213) 742-8837 or email us at store@riscmail.com. Please keep in mind though, we are and will be swamped with calls and emails, so if you can read the following first, that'd be incredible. Once again, thank you so much for your support and patience. You guys have been an endless stream of love and inspiration through all of this. Thank you.

FAQ

Q: Why do I not have my record yet? I totally want it.
A: Simple - Victory Records has refused to send us any of Streetlight's new album. Without that - we can not send out pre-orders. Classy move. Read on for more information about your order.

Q: I wanted to hear the Toh Kay record. The music video - before Victory took it down - was beautiful and so was the song. My gosh. What happened?
A: Victory had given Streetlight a choice: either completely kill the Toh Kay record (their absurd reasoning was that its sale would "cannibalize" Streetlight sales, ha!) or hand it over to them so they can release it and exclusively profit from it. Streetlight has experienced and documented years of Victory not paying royalties while continuously profiting from their music, so it was a no-brainer. We had to cancel the record, no matter how much we all loved it and how hard the guys worked on it. That music video, by the way, is also "illegal". So if you saw it - your eyes are criminals.

Q: It's been a while since I ordered my bundle - and I need to change my address. How do i do that?
A: No problem. Send an email with the subject being "Address change" to Store@Riscmail.com - and in the email just put the new address you'd like your order to go to.

Q: I ordered a bundle that was supposed to have the Toh Kay record in it. Since it was cancelled by Victory - what is going to happen to my order?
A: We will ship the rest of the bundle and refund you the value of the record in the bundle (OR, you can choose option two, below). When coming up with the bundle prices, $5 of the price was allotted to the Toh Kay album. So we'll be refunding you $5 and sending out the rest of your bundle. If we don't receive the Streetlight CDs from Victory soon, we will also refund you for that missing cd.

OPTION 2:
So, instead of requesting a refund, we ask that you consider the following: We will send you everything in your order, minus the Toh Kay album (naturally) and (unless we receive our shipment of Streetlight CDs very soon) the SM CD. In the next few months, when the dust settles and all this melodrama is over with, we will send you… something extra. We haven't quite figured out this consolation prize just yet, but we're thinking along the lines of a super limited edition, signed screen printed piece of artwork by Tomas or something. It'll be a rarity and something you can put on your wall to say "I helped a band I love fight an evil record label." All this standing up for themselves and fighting the good fight has cost Streetlight thousands in lawyer and legal fees. Unfortunately for all of us, Victory's legal team is partially funded by Streetlight's own music (it's ridiculous really), so selling merch via the oline store and at shows is the only way Streetlight can afford to fight the bastards.

IMPORTANT: Please choose whether you want your money refunded or if you want the special consolation gift/donation option by going here: http://www.riscstore.com/pages/the-hand-that-thieves-order-refund-page

Q: What about my vinyl order?
A: Unfortunately - we can't legally press any Toh Kay vinyl now, and with Victory not selling us any SM items - there's no way we're going to be able to fulfill the vinyl orders. Those will be cancelled and refunded. Sorry. Sucks.

Q: I want my money back. This is stupid.
A: Ok. That's fine. Send an email to store@riscmail.com with your full name / your paypal account name and order number. We appreciate your order in the first place and understand your frustration. This is our job and we have to deal with this every waking moment of the day - we're beyond frustration - we can actually smell colors at this point. Everything smells awful.

Q: Why is this even happening? Is there a reason bad things happen to good people?
A: That's a great question. If you find out - can you let us know? Thanks.

Q: The Streetlight record leaked online - I already ordered it through you - how should I feel inside about downloading it?
A: We can't tell you how or where to download it - but if you already paid for it, and it's being withheld from you by the band's own record label - well, take that how you will.

Q: Who is the nice gentleman who has answered all the calls / emails for the RISC Store - is he an angel, and if so - why do angels have lisps all the sudden?
A: My name is Dave and I appreciate everyones support and understanding with the hassle and headache this has been and, I'm sure, will continue to be.

Q: This whole situation makes me hate the music industry and I now understand why it - as a business entity - is failing across the board.
A: Yeah. I hear ya. I just downloaded Dredd 3D - wanna watch it with me?

As I just ordered the vinyl versions which aren't gonna happen, gimmie my refund. This special poster or whatever isn't worth $35.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So not only has the Toh Kay version of THTT been killed forever outright, there's a very realistic possibility that I will be getting a bundle with...no actual music in it when the time comes.

What a crazy, sad, and hosed up situation :smith:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Volt Catfish posted:

So not only has the Toh Kay version of THTT been killed forever outright, there's a very realistic possibility that I will be getting a bundle with...no actual music in it when the time comes.

At least the album is out there in digital form.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Volt Catfish posted:

Do what I'm doing, buy some CDR's and sharpies and burn yourself a couple of copies. Get a pack of jewel cases too and draw a bench and a couple of trees on the covers.

For the full effect (if you bought a mega bundle like me) don't pop the CDs into your car stereo til the shirts and hoodie arrive.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Very sad about Streetlight.

Anyway, I got into BTMI about two weeks before they broke up. This thread's constant talking about Vacation got me to download it and I LOVED it. Huge fan. I got the impression quite a few times that that is their best album and that the older albums are not similar at all and sound crappier, in terms of production quality.

Well, on a whim I downloaded and listened to Scrambles. Holy crap, this album rocks. It's so good! So glad I checked it out and didn't just stay put. I love BTMI and I'm so bummed I missed the chance to see them live.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sade posted:

Do what I'm doing, buy some CDR's and sharpies and burn yourself a couple of copies. Get a pack of jewel cases too and draw a bench and a couple of trees on the covers.

For the full effect (if you bought a mega bundle like me) don't pop the CDs into your car stereo til the shirts and hoodie arrive.

I'm gonna do this as well. I also didn't read the fine print and ordered Streetlight Lullabies along with the bundle, so I'm still waiting for that record. :sigh: I also really want that hoodie, so I'm going to tough it out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So now that the new Streetlight is out and I didn't love it like I thought I would, are there any other big releases on the horizon?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Well, on a whim I downloaded and listened to Scrambles. Holy crap, this album rocks. It's so good! So glad I checked it out and didn't just stay put. I love BTMI and I'm so bummed I missed the chance to see them live.

If youre into Scrambles, you'd probably dig on Adults!!! and Get Warmer. Vacation is my favorite BTMI full length by far but if Adults!!! was a full album instead of an EP... :swoon:

guppy posted:

So now that the new Streetlight is out and I didn't love it like I thought I would, are there any other big releases on the horizon?

Big D has two records coming out soon

My friends worked on the Big D DVD (which we've been affectionately calling the Big DVD). It's got all music videos (there's easter eggs but I'm keeping my lips sealed) and a ton of live footage including small shows from a decade ago in Harvard Sq and a full Halloween show.

As for the two albums, they're either a double album or two simultaneous releases sometime in the coming months. I think they're trying to release all three (cds plus dvd) at the same time. I haven't heard an ETA yet but I'd imagine it will be in the next few months

seventeen fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 8, 2013

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Anyway, I got into BTMI about two weeks before they broke up. This thread's constant talking about Vacation got me to download it and I LOVED it. Huge fan. I got the impression quite a few times that that is their best album and that the older albums are not similar at all and sound crappier, in terms of production quality.

Scrambles is my favorite BTMI album! I'm gonna echo what seventeen said about Get Warmer and Adults!!!. Honestly, though, you'll probably enjoy all of the albums in some capacity - I think they're all pretty great.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
I just did the donate thing for the Mega Bundle since I feel like that money is already gone. Though I am still waiting for the "we'll give you something special" thing from the last time I gave them some money when someone stole their stuff.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Mollymauk posted:

I just did the donate thing for the Mega Bundle since I feel like that money is already gone. Though I am still waiting for the "we'll give you something special" thing from the last time I gave them some money when someone stole their stuff.

What was this "last time"?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Action Tortoise posted:

After seeing those two, Streetlight Manifesto and Mad Caddies are next on my list to see live.

Mad Caddies are great live. My friend got to fill in for the lead singer when he complained that he was smoking and drinking too much and wanted to sit out a song. Also a really sweaty girl kept trying to fight people up front, it was a great show.

Tennis Ball posted:

What was this "last time"?

poo poo that was years ago when all their stuff was stolen in Europe (France?)2005/2006. They lost a hard drive with all the live recordings. They set up a paypal to send them money if I recall. They did come through on the free signed poster when they didn't ship any orders for like a year that one time.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

As I just ordered the vinyl versions which aren't gonna happen, gimmie my refund. This special poster or whatever isn't worth $35.

I'm in the same boat, and I can't speak for anyone else, but I was just going to use the code to download the albums anyway and keep the vinyls to to be like "yeah, I support this band." As I am in possession of both albums I think the best way I can still support them is to say keep the money, keep being awesome. Its not like I was going to drop the needle every time I wanted to listen to the music, shits already on my iphone.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 9, 2013

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

seventeen posted:

If youre into Scrambles, you'd probably dig on Adults!!! and Get Warmer. Vacation is my favorite BTMI full length by far but if Adults!!! was a full album instead of an EP... :swoon:

Big D has two records coming out soon

My friends worked on the Big D DVD (which we've been affectionately calling the Big DVD). It's got all music videos (there's easter eggs but I'm keeping my lips sealed) and a ton of live footage including small shows from a decade ago in Harvard Sq and a full Halloween show.

I remember going to that show. They had to bill themselves as the Gypsy Seven. OH MAN I HOPE IM ON THIS DVD.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Very sad about Streetlight.

You shouldn't pass over the early stuff imo. This was the first btmi song shown to me and so it's the one I show people. It's so weird and so good. As far as production quality goes, one of the track descriptions on Album Minus Band says, 'I couldn't find where the mic was on my PC so just shouted louder at my computer', or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6I_3GMSRGM

The drum track is funny.

Do you guys think this is cool or retarded? I can't decide...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVvBF9BWdg

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
BTMI is so awesome and I'm kicking myself I got into them just as they broke up.

Is the Arrogant Sons of Bitches stuff any good?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's proto BTMI, jeff yelling over some fast skapunk with some hardcore elements. S'pretty good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love everything Jeff has done, can't help it. I fell in love with Adults!! and it just snowballed from there. His solo album is pretty drat good.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Yes but don't bother giving more than a cursory sort to anything not on Three Cheers or the All The Little Ones comp because the audio quality will make you want to kill yourself

Sorry. We Steal is probably my favorite song Jeff's ever written

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Yes but don't bother giving more than a cursory sort to anything not on Three Cheers or the All The Little Ones comp because the audio quality will make you want to kill yourself

Sorry. We Steal is probably my favorite song Jeff's ever written

When he came through Australia the time before last i asked him: "I'm really sorry to do this, but can you play anything from ASOB at all?"

He was really cool about it, and was even like "I can only maybe do Sorry, We Steal, is that ok?"

That song owns. Jeff owns. BTMI own[s/ed].

e:

BTMI is so awesome and I'm kicking myself I got into them just as they broke up.

It's all great, but a little more typical ska punk. Especially Three Cheers. Sure, the quality on a lot of songs is bad, but worth at least a few listens.

here: http://snevesneve.com/asob/

double edit: even This Is What You get owns. I even used a song from it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzpiK612Z_g but im sure no one cares except maybe nerve (hi nerve)

dnz fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 9, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
:forkbomb:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I know they're hardly ska these days, but wtf at RxBandits touring again? I had wrote them off the list of bands I need to see before I die when I heard the broke up, but they just shot themselves to the top of the list. Anyone else going to be at the show in Boston?

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

aricoarena posted:

poo poo that was years ago when all their stuff was stolen in Europe (France?)2005/2006. They lost a hard drive with all the live recordings. They set up a paypal to send them money if I recall. They did come through on the free signed poster when they didn't ship any orders for like a year that one time.

Yup when their trailer with all of their instruments got jacked. I never really expected actually getting anything and I've seen Streetlight at least 20 times so I got my money's worth there.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Shabadu posted:

I know they're hardly ska these days, but wtf at RxBandits touring again? I had wrote them off the list of bands I need to see before I die when I heard the broke up, but they just shot themselves to the top of the list. Anyone else going to be at the show in Boston?

Yep!!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I want to go, but I'm having trouble finding tickets :( I hope they didn't sell out that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Well they don't go on sale until tomorrow at noon. I'm super excited and hope they play the Resignation in its entirety, seeing as it's the 10th anniversary tour.