Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nate RFB posted:

Besides the steps above, you should be warned that it's a lot harder than the Normal one. Good luck!
Yeah, I didn't finish the game at all because I decided to go for the True ending during my first playthrough. Don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

flatluigi posted:

Would you recommend attempting the True ending on your first playthrough, or should I play normally and then replay for it?
I did all three endings in one playthrough, there is no replaying involved since you have a save point conveniently right before you take the Bad or the Normal ending. Although playing in such a way that you qualify for the True ending involves taking some challenges in extra hard ways, but they're all easier than the secret dungeon (and good training for it).

Do always keep a GameFAQ page open in case you forget which stupid item or stupid choice you have to make, this is a game that really gets much better when you don't have to guess that lovely metagame nonsense. It's not like there's any plot to spoil, either.

Also, I played on Easy and the final boss for the True ending was still a giant challenge, so I would absolutely recommend that difficulty setting if you aren't a regular player of Metroidvania games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it would be more enjoyable to play through the game without any guides the first time, and just soak in the story and gameplay as it comes. Things will certainly be a lot easier anyway the second time since you the player would have presumably improved. That way you will be even more motivated to see the True ending, and wouldn't be as turned off looking at a guide since it's your second time anyway.

I mean it's a short game, and more importantly it's a great game, so replaying it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I certainly had no qualms playing it again.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I just started playing Dragon Quest 9, so is there anything I should watch out for? Apart from the punny names? What's the best loadout for this game?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Supeerme posted:

I just started playing Dragon Quest 9, so is there anything I should watch out for? Apart from the punny names? What's the best loadout for this game?

Don't sell anything ever. Alchemy is amazing, and you never want to sell things.
Monks are pretty good?
I don't remember anything else.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Don't sell anything ever. Alchemy is amazing, and you never want to sell things.
Monks are pretty good?
I don't remember anything else.
I actually never used the alchemy pot at all, since I didn't want to be bothered Googling recipes, and I did fine.

Gladiators are absolutely terrifying, especially combined with the attack-doubling buff Armamentalists get. If you have a Paladin, make a beeline for Forbearance. Fisticuffs is bad unless you go totally all-in on it.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I actually never used the alchemy pot at all, since I didn't want to be bothered Googling recipes, and I did fine.

Gladiators are absolutely terrifying, especially combined with the attack-doubling buff Armamentalists get. If you have a Paladin, make a beeline for Forbearance. Fisticuffs is bad unless you go totally all-in on it.

Claws are pretty good I think?
Also, you can't unlock some of the extra classes til wayyyyy late. Or at least mid game. But the game has a lot of post-game content to work with as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Supeerme posted:

I kind of hosed up the jobs system when I played. I went in expecting it to be like DQVI where you could master jobs fairly quickly and thus swap them around afterwards. It's very hard to do that in DQIX in the same way. What you're supposed to do is apparently constantly switch out jobs so you can gather a lot of points at the lower levels, then switch back to the actual job (or rather skill) you want dump all of them into that one skill. You retain these skills across jobs I think.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I kind of hosed up the jobs system when I played. I went in expecting it to be like DQVI where you could master jobs fairly quickly and thus swap them around afterwards. It's very hard to do that in DQIX in the same way. What you're supposed to do is apparently constantly switch out jobs so you can gather a lot of points at the lower levels, then switch back to the actual job (or rather skill) you want dump all of them into that one skill. You retain these skills across jobs I think.

I think weapon skills cross-class, job related skills don't?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I think weapon skills cross-class, job related skills don't?

All skills (anything that you "buy" with skill points) cross classes. Magic however, or anything else earned from raw levels, do not.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

- Use combos. There's a move list in the game but the one you should most often is Right Click > Right Click > Right Click > F.
- Save your Fury for when your shield goes down.
- The hammer owns, use it whenever you can.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Got Catherine free on Plus, any advice?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DannyTanner posted:

- Use combos. There's a move list in the game but the one you should most often is Right Click > Right Click > Right Click > F.
- Save your Fury for when your shield goes down.

- Rebind Fury to a button that's easy to hit and pop it whenever you think you might be in trouble. It refills stupid fast in combat.
- Grenades do ludicrous amounts of damage.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Seedge posted:

If you care about getting the multiple endings you'll want to play on normal and try to get gold in as many levels as possible (which is actually kind of easy except boss stages and the final few areas). On subsequent plays you can skip gold levels. If you don't care about multiple endings or find the game frustratingly difficult, feel free to play it on easy because this game really is hard. You can change the difficulty during bar scenes using Vincent's phone but I'm pretty sure you can't skip gold levels unless you beat them on normal or above.

Other than that, talk to everyone in the bar as much as you can. People move in and out of the bar so talk to them as soon as they appear. They add a lot of lore to the story. After everyone leaves (and the bartender will say something like "shouldn't you be heading home?") you should try out all the alcoholic drinks because there's literally a different message each day for each drink and they're fun to listen to.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DannyTanner posted:

I would disagree with that one. The hammer is indeed a very cool weapon, but it locks out two of your weapon slots, leaving you with only the bolter and the bolt pistol. The other two weapon slots can often be very very useful (especially against bosses and such), much more useful than a melee weapon. Overall, I think you're better off with the axe or sword, along with the full suite of four weapons.

The exception is during the jetpack sequences, in which case you should use the hammer to your heart's content, because the jet pack & hammer combination is more fun than anything else in the game in my opinion.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Seedge posted:

Don't be like my housemate who arbitrarily plays every game for the first time on Hard. Hard mode in Catherine assumes you've already learned all the necessary techniques by completing Normal, and makes you use those techniques before the parts in the story where you're given tutorials for them.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Details are a little sparse on the wiki about Civilisation V. I grabbed the vanilla version for $10 bucks and intend to grab G&K as soon as it's on sale.

Any tips on the best early game units, rate I should build cities, policies to adopt, technologies I should go after etc?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

fuckpot posted:

Details are a little sparse on the wiki about Civilisation V. I grabbed the vanilla version for $10 bucks and intend to grab G&K as soon as it's on sale.

Any tips on the best early game units, rate I should build cities, policies to adopt, technologies I should go after etc?

My best advice is to get G&K asap because it makes the game a hundred times better, taking the game from "pretty ok" to "pretty great". There's also an active Civilization V thread with an informative OP and where you can ask more specific stuff. Keep in mind however that the expansion changes the policies and techs quite a bit so you'll have a hard time finding people who can give you accurate vanilla advice because nobody plays it anymore, barring ones who are new to the game and waiting for sales like you. Of course since the new expansion Brave New World is coming out in a couple of months, by the time you get G&K people might've moved on to BNW instead. :v:

Overall strategies really depend on the map, game speed and the civ you're playing, but in general you want to get 3-5 cities as soon as your Happiness allows it before the AI grabs all the land. Try to build them so that you get as many resources as possible within their borders, with a balanced combination of hills for production and plains or flood plains for food. Also creating one next to a mountain allows you to eventually make an Observatory which adds a whopping +50% research to the city it's built in, so keep an eye on those as well.

Also try to preserve your jungles, they're pretty worthless at first but Universities, especially combined with the Rationalism policy that gives you extra research for trading posts (which can be built on jungle tiles), turn jungle cities into research powerhouses later on.

Oh, and especially on bigger maps consider building a scout first so that you can collect as many ancient ruins as possible, they can give you a great early advantage.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
I bought the new upgraded version of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen without having played the original since some of the reviews compared it to Dark Souls and I love that game. I read the wiki entry for the original, but is there anything else I should know for the new content?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I guess I'm going to play KOTOR 1.

Can anyone tell me about KOTOR 1??

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Get force speed or haste or whatever it's called, it's broken as gently caress.

The game is really slow at first. Just try to deal with it until you're a jedi. The game gets more fun after that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I'll reiterate the wiki advice (the wiki appears to be offline for me at the moment, but check it out later)

Don't do blasters, get a max destroy robot power (essential for the final boss fight, pretty good for the rest of the game), go full light/dark side since there's no benefit to the middle.

Get some restoration mods (particularly, Bastilla on Korriban). The last bit is very objective, but you may want to choose the topside of the fish planet as your first destination of planetary exploration, but leave the submarine portion of that planet for last on your list.

I've got Sleeping Dogs, and the game has a DLC list that costs about twice as much as the game itself. Which bits are recommended/essential? I'm not that interested in costumes/weapons, but additional gaming content would be welcome.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 25, 2014

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Don't invest in strength, armor and vibroblade on your character - lightsabers use separate specialization, most jedi stuff is dexterity or wisdom based and fancy magic stuff is disabled by armor too.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 7, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Xander77 posted:

I've got Sleeping Dogs, and the game has a DLC list that costs about twice as much as the game itself. Which bits are recommended/essential? I'm not that interested in costumes/weapons, but additional gaming content would be welcome.

Year of the Snake, Nightmare in North Point and Zodiac Tournament are the only proper gameplay plug-ins. The missions in the costume + vehicle + mission packs are typically something like "shoot all the bikers from bikeback" or "chop all the guys with this knife" that you can repeat for max points high score go wild. The Top Dog gold/silver packs just give you ingame experience points what the gently caress don't take them even for free.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Xander77 posted:

Nightmare at Northpoint, The Zodiac Tournament, and Year of the Snake are DLC with actual new content. None of the DLC for the game is a great deal, the three campaign add-ons I mentioned are all only a few hours long, though they do switch the gameplay up a bit. The Tactical Soldier Pack gives you a grenade launcher in the open world, which is hilarious.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thank you all for telling me about KOTOR!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

One thing about KOTOR 1 that might be good to know:
The AI scripts are a bit odd. Ranged attackers using the "normal attack" script (the default) won't use their ranged attack feats unless specifically ordered to. (Melee attackers will, however.) Characters set to "Jedi/Droid Support" will use their ranged feats automatically. Consequently, one of the first things you should do is to change Carth's AI script to make him noticeably more pwerful.

(The option to change AI scripts is at the bottom of the character stat screen.)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There's also the thing where Canderous starts out with a big ol' blaster when he is much better using melee weapons.

Other KotOR 1 stuff:
- There's no way to return to the starting planet once you leave it.
- On Dantooine there is a quest in which you'll meet a possible party member. I say "possible", because you can end up having to kill said person if you pick the wrong dialogue options.
- After several hours the game will open up and you can freely travel between 4 different planets. Generally the order I'd play through them is like this: Tatooine - pick up the party member in the droid shop and then leave, Kashyyyk, Tatooine, Manaan and finally Korriban.
- Jedis are by far the strongest party members while droids suffer quite a bit from the fact that Force Heal doesn't affect them.
- There's a button to cancel/escape combat. You can go through most of the game without ever having to use it. However, you definitely need to know about it for the last section of the game.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Get force speed or haste or whatever it's called, it's broken as gently caress.

The game is really slow at first. Just try to deal with it until you're a jedi. The game gets more fun after that.
Fun fact: this exact same advice applies just as well to Jedi Knight II.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Fun fact: this exact same advice applies just as well to Jedi Knight II.

Kotor doesn't have a dismemberment tweak. AFAIK, maybe there's a mod?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

sebmojo posted:

Kotor doesn't have a dismemberment tweak. AFAIK, maybe there's a mod?

Actually I just started playing Jedi Knight II, any advice for that?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Lightsaber duels are tricky. Lightsaber enemies have a lot of health, do a ton of damage, have force abilities, never drop any items for you, and often can't be easily bypassed, they can be very frustrating.

Until you understand the force push/pull system.

Basically if you get force pushed/pulled then as long as you have enough force energy to use force push yourself, you automatically negate it, expending the required force energy to do so. Enemies act in exactly the same way, so in general you won't be able to use force push on lightsaber enemies. BUT you can't counter force push while you're in the air, so if you can jump to a high place, or over a pit, or near a cliff, or near another environmental hazard, and get your enemy to jump after you, until they land they are utterly helpless in the face of your humble force push. There are a LOT of environmental hazards in this game, so swap to the fast defensive style, and forget actually attacking them with your lightsaber, just pitch everyone off cliffs. This is hilarious, will keep your momentum up, and will let you enjoy the game a lot better.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Luminaflare posted:

Actually I just started playing Jedi Knight II, any advice for that?

Go heavy lightsaber style, turn your back to your opponent, press back and attack, and you should do a swinging attack that one shots everything. This is especially abusive in multiplayer, since you can turn while this is happening to make sure that the lightsaber whoever you want.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Any advice for Dynasty Warrior 7 for PS3? I haven't played a DW game since 3 I suppose.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

PJOmega posted:

Any advice for Dynasty Warrior 7 for PS3? I haven't played a DW game since 3 I suppose.

Play as Zhang Liao if you can and square square square square triangle triangle.

The story is actually really really good for a Dynasty Warriors game (so passable by normal standards). If you want the closest to an accurate timeline play in this order: Wei, Wu, Shu, Jin.

Press select to call your horse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hello, I have a terrible backlog and have just gotten around to starting the very first Mass Effect game. I would appreciate advice on how to not gently caress up forever because I hear the game is moderately open.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Hello, I have a terrible backlog and have just gotten around to starting the very first Mass Effect game. I would appreciate advice on how to not gently caress up forever because I hear the game is moderately open.

You can't. Just make a spare save on Virmire before doing anything, it's possible to accidentally make a "wrong"(less favorable for most goons) choice there. I also recommend not playing as a soldier. This game is no more open than KOTOR, possibly even a little less. You have nothing to worry about.

You basically start back at square one in ME2 as far as your stats go, you even get to choose your class again, so don't sweat that.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Every class except the engineer gets either the ability to ragdoll almost anything for a hilarious amount of time with biotics or the ability to tank multiple rockets to the face with immunity spam. So don't pick engineer unless you really like difficulty. Also, you can't unlock your class specialization until you finish the side mission on the Moon.

Those are the only mechanical pitfalls in the game. There are a few weird things, like pistols being the best at everything except super-long-range sniping and the difficulty being drastically higher early on (due to the weakness of low-level powers and guns needing lots of talent points to hit what you aim at), but no other ways to hurt yourself long-term. Fergus covered the story stuff well, though I'd add that you don't want to turn away companion NPCs.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

CJacobs posted:

The game is pretty good about telling you where the point of no return is, and it's probably best to do Noveria as one of your last story planets, since the fight at the end of it is pretty hard. Save before you hit Virmire because there's a decision on there that ends up less-than-ideal (Expecially in ME2/3) if you can't make one of the paragon/renegade checks at the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Speaking of Mass Effect 1, I just finished that, so what can you guys tell me about Mass Effect 2? Specifically things that might help with the genre shift because I'm generally bad at cover shooters. :sweatdrop: