Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondal
Jan 14, 2010
Current beard is decent since exams. In accordance to that i deserve a p good team at least..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Where do you live

Grondal
Jan 14, 2010

myron cope posted:

Where do you live

Middle of the atlantic ocean. So i guess location is not a huge factor, which makes the gloryhunting even easier :smuggo:

Currently watching Canucks at Sharks. Pretty decent canucks momentum going on atm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's your favorite animal? Pick that.

Unless it's a coyote. Probably don't do that.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Hello thread. There has been a lot of talk (bitching) about faceoffs so far in the playoffs and it is making me realize I don't know a lot about faceoffs other than "We need to get the puck back on the ice and each team wants to be the one controlling it once it's there".

The N/V thread was talking about faceoff cheating. How does one "cheat" at a faceoff?

Most likely related to that... what determines if a ref waves someone out? I recognize that when a player jumps before it's actually dropped they tend to wave out that team, but are there any other reasons for a wave out? It seems totally random sometimes.

I saw a faceoff called back because the ref wasn't happy with how he dropped it. Why do they drop it at all - what's the advantage? Why not put it smack in the middle of the dot and let them go at it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're not supposed to move in, or make contact with another player before the puck drops.

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!
Funnily enough they originally did do faceoffs with the official placing the puck in the middle of the dot. The problem being that the players were so amped they would prematurely strike and lacerate the poor guys arms.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=473785

quote:

During the game, the opposing centerman were so eager to win the draw that Waghornes hands, arms, and legs took a frightful beating. By the halfway mark he was bruised and bloody and he had had enough.

He told the centers before the next face-off, You boys put your sticks on the ice and keep them 18 inches apart. And be ready for what happens next. He stood back and threw the puck between the poised sticks like a man throwing a dog a bone. Instinctively the two players clashed their sticks together in an effort to control the puck, and the modern-day faceoff was born.

mindofme fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 6, 2013

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Tagra posted:

Hello thread. There has been a lot of talk (bitching) about faceoffs so far in the playoffs and it is making me realize I don't know a lot about faceoffs other than "We need to get the puck back on the ice and each team wants to be the one controlling it once it's there".

The N/V thread was talking about faceoff cheating. How does one "cheat" at a faceoff?

Most likely related to that... what determines if a ref waves someone out? I recognize that when a player jumps before it's actually dropped they tend to wave out that team, but are there any other reasons for a wave out? It seems totally random sometimes.

I saw a faceoff called back because the ref wasn't happy with how he dropped it. Why do they drop it at all - what's the advantage? Why not put it smack in the middle of the dot and let them go at it?

Cheating: Both players are supposed to line up with skates centered behind the dot pointed straight ahead; players often tilt to one side to change the angle at which they attack the puck (and the angle at which they hopefully win the draw). They're also not allowed to have their skates too close to the dot. Both these rules are enforced by the red lines around the offensive/defensive zone faceoff dots. They also must both have their sticks on the ice.

Getting thrown out: If the center gets thrown out and you're confused as to why, one of his teammates probably came into the circle early. Coming into the circle before the puck is dropped is not allowed and will get your center tossed. The other way to get tossed is simply to jump early/engage the opponent before the puck is dropped.

As for why they don't just set it and blow a whistle, most likely there would be far too many false starts and faceoffs would take forever.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
So what is a "scratcher?" I'll see on twitter or even when I went to my first sharks game (recently in April) on the jumbotron that "two(?) players are tonight's Scratchers". Usually Followed by/or After the starting line up. Also the last time I watched Hockey Patrick Roy was my favorite player and NHL94 never left my snes. Getting back into hockey was a pretty drat awesome experience, I just don't ever remember that term.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know if I've ever heard "scratcher" but it sounds like you're describing a scratch. That's basically a player on the roster who is not going to suit up for the team for that game, the roster is bigger than the number of players you're allowed to dress. Teams will usually sit injured players first but sometimes you'll hear the term healthy scratch which just means there's nothing wrong with a guy, he just isn't playing.

You usually won't hear much about that if it's one of the regular subs on the roster, but if it's someone who normally gets a fair amount of ice time it ends up being news.

e: I think there are 5 scratches per night? I'm not 100% sure on that.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know if I've ever heard "scratcher" but it sounds like you're describing a scratch. That's basically a player on the roster who is not going to suit up for the team for that game, the roster is bigger than the number of players you're allowed to dress. Teams will usually sit injured players first but sometimes you'll hear the term healthy scratch which just means there's nothing wrong with a guy, he just isn't playing.

You usually won't hear much about that if it's one of the regular subs on the roster, but if it's someone who normally gets a fair amount of ice time it ends up being news.

e: I think there are 5 scratches per night? I'm not 100% sure on that.

There's no set number of scratches. However, before the trade deadline, the active roster is capped at 23 players, not including guys on injured reserve. You can only dress 20 skaters for a game. You'll often see teams with 2 or 3 scratches in this instance. After the trade deadline, there's no max roster size, so you will often see teams call up players from their AHL affiliate so they can get practice time and stuff but won't play, so teams regularly have 5+ scratches after the deadline and in the playoff.

More faceoff stuff: the visiting team's player taking a draw has to have his stick on the ice first, and both players have to come to a complete stop before the puck is dropped. The centerman's skates must be touching the red lines that are parallel to the end boards, as well. I'm fairy sure there are other weirdish rules, but those are the most important ones.

Weird faceoff thing you'll almost never see happen: if a team has one player thrown out of a draw, and the guy who comes in to take it for him instead is also thrown out, that team is called for a delay of game penalty. Pretty much the weirdest way to get a powerplay there is. I've only ever seen this happen once, in a college club hockey game.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Often when the 2nd guy comes in for the faceoff he just gives up unless it's super important because he's paranoid about taking the penalty and as a guy who doesn't usually take faceoffs he was probably going to lose anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some teams intentionally start a non-faceoff guy and have him thrown out. Boston does this frequently with Marchand and Bergeron. I think the plan there is that sometimes Marchand can get the other center tossed out with him.

I saw the 2 toss out penalty once in the NHL, last season.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

Some teams intentionally start a non-faceoff guy and have him thrown out. Boston does this frequently with Marchand and Bergeron. I think the plan there is that sometimes Marchand can get the other center tossed out with him.

A few teams will also do this to get some extra rest after an icing.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

A few teams will also do this to get some extra rest after an icing.

I'd wager to say that all teams do this now, and we'll probably see a rule change to address it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Also just because I'm not sure if I saw it mentioned, the home team gets the last line change before a puck drop, as long as they give the visitors a chance to change first (this prevents a home team from changing quickly and blocking the visiting team from changing at all). A ref will point to the visitors bench first to indicate it's time for them to change, and then if they don't within 5 seconds, will put his hand up to indicate to the home team to change, and put his arm down after 8 seconds. That signals to the linesman to blow the whistle and get everyone set up for the faceoff and drop within 5 seconds. This doesn't really happen in the NHL but sometimes at lower levels if a team is taking their time changing or otherwise causing a delay I'll warn them once, then toss the center the next time they delay a faceoff. The next infraction is a delay of game penalty. I usually tend to warn people once at the low levels about things like squaring up and putting their sticks down in the right place and in the right order and stuff before tossing centers as well.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Topoisomerase posted:

Also just because I'm not sure if I saw it mentioned, the home team gets the last line change before a puck drop, as long as they give the visitors a chance to change first (this prevents a home team from changing quickly and blocking the visiting team from changing at all). A ref will point to the visitors bench first to indicate it's time for them to change, and then if they don't within 5 seconds, will put his hand up to indicate to the home team to change, and put his arm down after 8 seconds. That signals to the linesman to blow the whistle and get everyone set up for the faceoff and drop within 5 seconds. This doesn't really happen in the NHL but sometimes at lower levels if a team is taking their time changing or otherwise causing a delay I'll warn them once, then toss the center the next time they delay a faceoff. The next infraction is a delay of game penalty. I usually tend to warn people once at the low levels about things like squaring up and putting their sticks down in the right place and in the right order and stuff before tossing centers as well.

In beer league, I've seen refs simply drop the puck with only one center lined up if the opposing team is taking too long to set up after a warning. I assume this isn't something refs are allowed to do on competitive levels and is just easier for them given that it's beer league?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Robo-Pope posted:

In beer league, I've seen refs simply drop the puck with only one center lined up if the opposing team is taking too long to set up after a warning. I assume this isn't something refs are allowed to do on competitive levels and is just easier for them given that it's beer league?

NHL refs would do this in the late 80's/early 90's, but usually only once a game to get the point across. Jeff Marek told a story once about a ref that would just pitch it into the corner when this happened.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Robo-Pope posted:

I've read anecdotes of NHL refs dropping the puck without two centers if one team is loving around, but I've never seen a video of it happening. I'd guess that pro teams are smart enough to know how much latitude they have to gently caress around so they'd be pretty good at not letting it happen.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

DOOMocrat posted:

NHL refs would do this in the late 80's/early 90's, but usually only once a game to get the point across. Jeff Marek told a story once about a ref that would just pitch it into the corner when this happened.

:laugh: Ahh the always professional "gently caress it, do it yourselves." stratagem.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Grondal posted:

Middle of the atlantic ocean.

well you have to root for the islanders then

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

xzzy posted:

I've read anecdotes of NHL refs dropping the puck without two centers if one team is loving around, but I've never seen a video of it happening. I'd guess that pro teams are smart enough to know how much latitude they have to gently caress around so they'd be pretty good at not letting it happen.
I remember it happening two/three seasons ago with the Hawks, Sharp took too long getting to the dot and the puck got dropped without him there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That was supposed to be one of the "make hockey faster" rules post-2005 lock out that has faded away again with time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So in the NHL, do spectators tend to let the refs know when they think they're doing a bad job with things other than just straight booing?

Over here we have the wonderful chants of "you don't know what you're doing" or "the referee's a wanker", both to the same tune and I think it probably depends how much people have been drinking.

Oh, and are there any notoriously bad refs? Like you hear they're officiating a game and you just think "oh poo poo" because they have a habit of loving things up?

But poo poo, I don't get the appeal of reffing at all. No matter how well you do it, there's always going to be people calling for your head. Guess it probably takes a strong will.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tim Peel and Chris Lee are 2 referees nobody likes.

There was another guy whose name I can't remember who had this drama with Burrows too. He "agreed" to retire last year or so.

vvv That sounds right. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 8, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

^^^

Wasn't that Stephan Auger? Who also sucked and "retired" because of how bad he was.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Robo-Pope posted:

This is completely legal under USA Hockey rules, at any level. After the whistle the teams have 5 seconds to get set. If one center is taking his sweet time for whatever reason, as long as everyone is onsides the official can drop the puck at the end of that 5 seconds and it's a legally conducted faceoff. I assume the NHL is the same.

McDragon posted:

But poo poo, I don't get the appeal of reffing at all. No matter how well you do it, there's always going to be people calling for your head. Guess it probably takes a strong will.

If you are at all insecure or uncertain you'll get eaten alive, at any level from in-house mites to wobbly beer leaguers to juniors to the NHL. I find that there are a subset of people who are attracted to it because they like the powertrip which is lovely IMO. People are still dicks to you sometimes regardless, but it's a lot less so if you take just a little bit of time to explain the controversial calls to coaches and players and don't automatically blow them off when they have legit concerns and voice them appropriately. Honestly (and this will sound hella sappy) I just love the game and like to stay involved with it, but don't have the money to play as much as I'd like or the time to dedicate to coaching, so officiating is a good way to accomplish that. :)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 8, 2013

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

McDragon posted:

So in the NHL, do spectators tend to let the refs know when they think they're doing a bad job with things other than just straight booing?

"REFS YOU SUCK" or a straight up "AAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS HOOOOOOOOOOLE" is the most I've ever heard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sometimes you even get a "gently caress you refs".

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can remember a few good Bullshit chants.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The bullshit chant is a staple of hockey, and sports in general. Nothing like the whole stadium getting into it.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Crovie posted:

The bullshit chant is a staple of hockey, and sports in general. Nothing like the whole stadium getting into it.

A Bullshit chant while the opposition player is bleeding out on the bench is what this country was built on :canada:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Can someone explain to me what a starting goalie is and what it does

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Vigilance posted:

Can someone explain to me what a starting goalie is and what it does

AV or Disco Dan account found

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
North American sports don't really do chants very well. They're all exactly the same

LETS GO TEAMNAME, LETS GO TEAMNAME

You just don't get the culture of songs that you do in other areas of the world. Some of the lyrics to footy songs over here are amazingly well thought out.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

True. That's probably because hockey doesn't have 15 minute blocks of time where the puck just gets passed around the middle of the ice and absolutely nothing interesting happens. So the fans aren't really pressed to fill the time with songs. Well, at least not since Lemaire coached the Devils.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Dangerllama posted:

True. That's probably because hockey doesn't have 15 minute blocks of time where the puck just gets passed around the middle of the ice and absolutely nothing interesting happens. So the fans aren't really pressed to fill the time with songs.

Sprained my eyeballs from eye rolling too hard.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pretty much every college program in the country also rolled their eyes at the notion that we don't do "chants" very well here. Not to mention random awesomeness like "Sweet Caroline" and "The Good Old Hockey Game." Hell, I grew up on Orange Crush songs and "We Love Elway." North America has a pretty rich tradition of musical support for whatever team. The notion that we don't somehow match the creepy obsession embodied in "You'll Never Walk Alone" is just kind of ignorant. We're plenty creepy.

Oh, and for what it's with, Soccer is an awesome sport, and I'm seriously looking forward to the UEFA final. But that was a clown post, brah.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 9, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

But how many other sports throw squid on the ice? :colbert:
(also: wtf)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

How many sports are interspersed with players engaging in fisticuffs? :colbert:

• Locked thread