Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

:c00lbert:

Been fiending for this thing for ages, finally snagged a copy with a more reasonable price tag.
by that I mean less than $75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012
This is really dorky, but I can't wait to show you guys my favorites in my collection via pics. I'm getting a camera next week and y'all can expect pics of my Oval collection, as well as some of my favorite discs that I've bought on the first round. I'm a new vinyl guy, so this is all exciting to me (I'm sure you had that feeling first few buys).

As far as content, can anyone confirm that the Sparklehorse reissues are poo poo? (I've had one member say they're alright, and a few others say they are not worth it). Can anyone suggest a maximum runtime for each vinyl side as far as quality? e.g. should a 60 minute album fit on two sides for convenience, or does the sound quality diminish significantly?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Is there any way to tell if a release is sold out on a bands bandcamp site? I really want Snowmine - Laminate Pet Animal but it says it's a limited edition of 400, and came out in 2011. I can't imagine it not being sold out, but their site took my order.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I usually buy $2 albums from bookshops and used record stores and am new to the online album ordering song and dance.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Check out that price tag. There were a bunch of other albums that I bought at that price but I'm happiest about that one.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

blugu64 posted:

Is there any way to tell if a release is sold out on a bands bandcamp site? I really want Snowmine - Laminate Pet Animal but it says it's a limited edition of 400, and came out in 2011. I can't imagine it not being sold out, but their site took my order.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I usually buy $2 albums from bookshops and used record stores and am new to the online album ordering song and dance.

If it's out of stock the option just completely disappears.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

whooping crane posted:

As far as content, can anyone confirm that the Sparklehorse reissues are poo poo? (I've had one member say they're alright, and a few others say they are not worth it). Can anyone suggest a maximum runtime for each vinyl side as far as quality? e.g. should a 60 minute album fit on two sides for convenience, or does the sound quality diminish significantly?

Typically, a single disc will hold about 45 to 50 minutes of music, and if you're good and you have the right material, you can get 55 minutes of music on a disc. But once you start going past 55 minutes, you're going to get a pressing that is going to sound weird. You'll have to use compression, equilization, and cutting the volume to get it to fit comfortably. And even today, a lot of pressing houses don't like going past 20-22 minutes of music on a side.

Once you hit 60 though, you're going probably not going to have a good pressing. It'll be compressed and quiet, and that will bring out the surface noise. And it might be easier to damage. I just have never heard a 60 minute record that really ever sounded THAT good. It might not be terrible, but it probably will be pretty bad compared to your other records.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Once you hit 60 though, you're going probably not going to have a good pressing. It'll be compressed and quiet, and that will bring out the surface noise. And it might be easier to damage. I just have never heard a 60 minute record that really ever sounded THAT good. It might not be terrible, but it probably will be pretty bad compared to your other records.

Now that you mention it I don't think I have either. I've stopped buying represses because a lot of them seem to cram it all into one then say "but it's 180gm!" like that makes a difference. 180gm is just another audiophile bullshit thing, right?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

A friend at work brought this in for me today. It's not in the greatest condition, but the discs should be perfectly fine after a bit of dust and dog hair removal. I've never seen a copy of this in person, so I'm super stoked. One of my favorite albums.

This is my favourite album of all time, one of the first records I ever owned. I have like 4 copies on LP, one on tape, the original CD, the SACD, the album of radio cuts that was made for airplay, a few of the remix albums, went to the live show, bought the DVD of said show. And this:

It's getting harder to find things I need now. This one is something that is quite hard to find in the wild and in MONO no less. I stumbled upon it during my first ever visit to Unknown Treasures, a new record store in my city.

Sooooo.... Andrew Loog Oldham was the Rolling Stone's manager during the 60s. In 1965 he assembled the "Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra" and recorded this album entirely of covers of Rolling Stone's records. Nothing amazing there, many people have done it before, some better than others (David McCallum: Yes Illya Kuryakin from Man from U.N.C.L.E./"Ducky" from NCIS). So this album came and went.

In 1997 The Verve negotiated a deal for use of a sample of the Oldham recording of "The Last Time" in their new song Bittersweet Symphony. After the song was released the original copyright owners ABCKO Records claimed that the sample used was larger than what was originally agreed upon and filed suit against The Verve. The case was settled with songwriting credit for Bittersweet Symphony (A song with 100% original lyrics) changed to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft and 100% of the song royalties are now paid to ABCKO Records. Apparently the Rolling Stone's themselves see a little bit of that.

I don't believe there was too much resentment towards the Stone's themselves as the case was filed by the owner of the catalogue, a label they had not been involved with for many years.

Here's the original track that started all the fuss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKC5cdGBY04

As a brief aside about David McCallum's works, he is a classically trained musician. When approached by Capitol Records during the height of U.N.C.L.E.'s popularity to cut an album he decided to go in a different direction and released an album of instrumental interpretations of current hit songs with help from master producer David Axelrod. Two more albums in the same style followed, and they are all equally excellent.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 8, 2013

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

luncheon meat posted:

Now that you mention it I don't think I have either. I've stopped buying represses because a lot of them seem to cram it all into one then say "but it's 180gm!" like that makes a difference. 180gm is just another audiophile bullshit thing, right?

Heavier vinyl is more resistant to warping and just feels better when you're holding it. I don't know much about the "audiophile" aspect of it, I've heard it's mostly bullshit. I like 180 gram but I die inside a little when I see a "180g AUDIOPHILE QUALITY" sticker on an album.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

david puddy posted:

:c00lbert:

Been fiending for this thing for ages, finally snagged a copy with a more reasonable price tag.
by that I mean less than $75

Goddamn, I hadn't realised that this was on vinyl. Red Dead Redemption is one of my favourite games and the soundtrack is a large part of that. I must have this someday. Well done.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Oh man this is the first thing in the entire thread to make me jealous as hell. War of the Worlds was the first record my parents let me play way way way back when, and I spent hours poring over the artwork and listening to the album (and subsequent weeks having nightmares about the aliens, because I was like, five)

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

Check out that price tag. There were a bunch of other albums that I bought at that price but I'm happiest about that one.

When the hell did cash converters start reselling records?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Kevar posted:

Heavier vinyl is more resistant to warping and just feels better when you're holding it. I don't know much about the "audiophile" aspect of it, I've heard it's mostly bullshit. I like 180 gram but I die inside a little when I see a "180g AUDIOPHILE QUALITY" sticker on an album.

This has already been implied recently in the thread, but just to say it outright: 180g vinyl is nice, but yeah, it's not "audiophile" in and of itself. Audiophile records are all about the mastering. You can have a 500g virgin loving vinyl record, but it doesn't mean anything if the mastering is comprised of a horrifically compressed digital track slapped onto wax.

Unless it's a super-rare record that I know I'll probably never own otherwise (e.g., I got a reish of this not too long ago), I avoid 180g reissues of older, pre-digital era albums. Those flimsier originals almost always sound much bigger, more lively, more lifelike, and just better overall.* There are exceptions when it comes to reissues by actual audiophile labels, e.g., DCC (anything Steve Hoffman masters is pure gold), Classic Records, etc. But those labels are renowned and speak for themselves; they might use 180g-type stickers sometimes, but it's the mastering that makes them acclaimed.

Also, on a related note, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Better Records (formerly DCC Blowout). The guy makes a living by:

1.) Snatching up stacks of cheap copies of common records (James Taylor, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Cat Stevens, etc. etc. etc.).
2.) Playing them all side by side and comparing sound quality, perhaps in a tournament-like format (he calls it "shootouts").
3.) Choosing what he sees as the ultimate "hot stampers," marking them up literally 10,000%-20,000% and reselling them to well-heeled audiophiles.

I've never ordered anything from him, but I find it very interesting. You really have to sign up for his email subscription to get the full effect; his "hottest" offerings are listed there first, and they often sell very, very quickly. People are champing at the bit to spend $500+ on dirt-common** Carole King and Elton John LPs. The seller is controversial in the audiophile world, but I will say that he is correct that there can be huge differences between seemingly-identical copies of records. I, too, have learned to hold "shootouts" whenever I have doubles and plan to sell a copy, and the disparities can be rather astonishing at times. But $650 for a Simon and Garfunkel record? Um, no.

The guy seems to love to write, too. There are lots of explanations of (and apologias for) his theory of the hot stamper on his site.

*e: This is a blanket statement, and like almost all blanket statements, it isn't always true. For instance, Capitol Records was, in many cases, notoriously crappy at mastering in the late 60s***, which is why the Pet Sounds offered as a bonus LP along with the Carl & The Passions So Tough sounds much better than the OG.

**e2: Or are they ultra-rare white hot stampers?!

***e3 (gently caress, this is turning into a wall of text): And in my opinion, yes, this includes the late-60s Beatles records. Since the UK originals are often prohibitively expensive, I recommend the original German pressings. They are very nice-sounding, much better than the US Capitols.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 8, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Oh, the Hot Stampers guy. I forgot about him. I mean, yeah, it's cool if that's what you're into, but really, it's just an expensive way to get fleeced ultimately. I remember they were selling a Bonnie Raitt album for like 400 bucks. A lot of it is just bullshit and a way to sell to people who are more obsessed about the sound quality of a recording than they are about the music on it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

people who are more obsessed about the price than they are about music.

In audiophile circles, more expensive is always better. Even when they do their sillyreally stupid little DIY tricks like gluing "horns" on a cartridge, if they find someone to do the exact same 5 cent tweak for 1000 dollars, they will think the latter simply must be better.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
For anyone who missed out on The Caretaker re-issues, Norman Records still has all three releases in stock.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The Hot Stampers guy is a legend. Anyone who can sell dollar bin records to rich morons is a-ok in my book.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Ron Burgundy posted:

This is my favourite album of all time, one of the first records I ever owned. I have like 4 copies on LP, one on tape, the original CD, the SACD, the album of radio cuts that was made for airplay, a few of the remix albums, went to the live show, bought the DVD of said show. And this:

That's awesome. I wish I could have seen it live. I gave it a spin last night, and it was super strange to see that disc 1 has Side 1 and Side 4 on it, and disc 2 has Side 2 & 3. I've never seen that before. This has sat in my co-worker's dusty-rear end closet for years, and the discs have some scuffs that affect the sound a little bit, but it's kind of endearing to hear the album with some hissing and pops here and there. Still sounds great, but I'm going to do some hunting for a better quality copy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

...disc 1 has Side 1 and Side 4 on it, and disc 2 has Side 2 & 3.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that was originally done with the idea that a consumer would own a record player that you would stack multi-disc albums on; ordering the sides like this allowed it to be played in the correct order. I have a bunch of older albums like this - Tommy, a Beatles compilation and some others I can't think of.

E: By "record player that you would stack" I probably meant a record changer. Phrasing!

Cloks fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 8, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

1 has Side 1 and Side 4 on it, and disc 2 has Side 2 & 3.

I have a Duke Ellington album like that, I'm not sure why they'd do it like that.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

I gave it a spin last night, and it was super strange to see that disc 1 has Side 1 and Side 4 on it, and disc 2 has Side 2 & 3. I've never seen that before.

This is very common on double LPs from the 60s and 70s so that you could listen to the whole album using a record changer.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

chime_on posted:

This is very common on double LPs from the 60s and 70s so that you could listen to the whole album using a record changer.

Ok, so you'd put them in the changer then just flip the stack over and put it back on there to keep playing?

At first I thought it was for DJs or clubs or something so you could queue the next side on another turntable, but that would only make sense if it were split sides 1/3 and 2/4 on a disc.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yes it's for changers, you play the stack through correctly, then flip the entire thing. It was more common with 3+ disc sets and actually goes back to the 78 days where you got 3 minutes of music on each side and long classical pieces were sometimes 10 or more records. Surprisingly 78s didn't seem to fare too badly with the gentler drop changers like the Garrards with the roller at the back.

Then there was this monstrosity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfI21OD4gcs
Ridiculously complicated, plagued by it's soft metal construction. 100 were made, almost all were lost when the ship carrying them was sunk by a U-boat. Only a handful survived. As long as the 78s fall absolutely flat on top of each other they usually survive. They form a cushion of air.

Victor and Capehart also made flipping changers but the mechanics were somewhat more elegant, though I distinctly remember the Victor ones would just dump the played records off to one side in a pile.

edit: haha yup, the victor machine. Brutal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkHxXL4jebE

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 8, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
E: ^^^ Those are hardcore.

That makes sense. I think I know someone with a record changer, maybe I'll try to listen to it like that. Or I guess I could just stack them up on my turntable, but that's for scrubs and I aint no scrub.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 8, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Well, I guess it's good that this won't be available outside the US because the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "I will buy this ridiculous thing and make mint on eBay" like a total oval office.

But I mean, come on. This caters exclusively to eccentric people with too much loving money on their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWOtFqcg7vg

Oh, it's $250 bucks btw.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's completely insane, but also really, really cool looking. Also matches the over the top extravagance of the film perfectly.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 8, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It is pretty as gently caress, definitely.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

But I mean, come on. This caters exclusively to eccentric people with too much loving money on their hands.

I think that actually makes it one of the more clever tie ins to the Great Gatsby. See, because it's about a guy with too much loving money on his hands, but he can't find true happiness. Yes, you could own this record. But it won't bring you true happiness. See! It's the green light on the harbor!

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I just picture Jack White pitching this and having to assure Warner Bros that "Seriously, a LOT of people are going to buy this if I put it out" while laughing.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

screaden posted:

When the hell did cash converters start reselling records?

I've only ever seen them in one store, hidden in a crate beneath the DVD shelves.

Holy poo poo those Gatsby records look nice. Also thanks for alerting me to the hot stampers guy. Good bit of entertainment first thing in the morning. Guess I should start selling some of the records I got for $1-2 for $500 now. Who knew a chunk of my collection was WHITE HOT?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
You know those "What would you do if you became really rich?" conversations people like to have sometimes? At this point I'm pretty sure Jack White is just living that because he can.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Well, I guess it's good that this won't be available outside the US because the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "I will buy this ridiculous thing and make mint on eBay" like a total oval office.

Oh, it's $250 bucks btw.

Everything about this has F. Scott Fitzgerald spinning in his grave.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just want to thank this thread for letting me know about the existence of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds album. poo poo's tits.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh, it's $250 bucks btw.

The records look wonderful, I only wish they contained the jazz music of the era.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
So it's happened. My records have attained sentience and are breeding. I managed to remove these ones from the litter before it got out of hand. I swear that with the exception of two of the WOTWs and one each of the others I didn't buy them.

Funny what you find when you start sorting :psyduck:

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I noticed that the other day. Part of it, for me anyway, is receiving records from family members who no longer want them. I found that I now have three or four of the same Engelbert Humperdinck album. The same goes for Harry Belafonte. Don't even get me started on Herb Alpert or Billy Vaughn... :xd:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ron Burgundy posted:

So it's happened. My records have attained sentience and are breeding. I managed to remove these ones from the litter before it got out of hand. I swear that with the exception of two of the WOTWs and one each of the others I didn't buy them.

Funny what you find when you start sorting :psyduck:

It's bad enough that's you'd have any copies of the Xanadu soundtrack, but why on earth do you have three?

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh, it's $250 bucks btw.

They forgot to include a big, bright green light that you can place at a distance and gaze at all night as you yearn for obscene wealth the American Dream.

Also, I'll bet that 99% of the people who buy those treat them like Gatsby does his book collection, what with its uncut pages and all.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Jasta posted:

I noticed that the other day. Part of it, for me anyway, is receiving records from family members who no longer want them. I found that I now have three or four of the same Engelbert Humperdinck album. The same goes for Harry Belafonte. Don't even get me started on Herb Alpert or Billy Vaughn... :xd:

I'm convinced it's this. I've just never got around to actually sifting through it all until now.

On that note, can anyone recommend alphabetical dividers? I'll need ones with the tab on the side.

quote:

It's bad enough that's you'd have any copies of the Xanadu soundtrack, but why on earth do you have three?

To be fair, the soundtrack was the most profitable part of the entire venture. But I kind of like the movie too. The ELO side is passable as ELO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

izationalizer posted:

Also, I'll bet that 99% of the people who buy those treat them like Gatsby does his book collection, what with its uncut pages and all.

Did he sell his collection on eBay at a huge markup?