Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Persell was one of the votes to watch going into today. His "Yes" vote makes things easier, and may be a bellweather for rural democrats and suburban republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
This story by Persell is pretty touching. :gbsmith:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
This dude looks like Stephen Tobolowsky.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
More photos from inside the MN capitol: http://jasonbarnett.tumblr.com/post/50027402073/some-images-from-inside-the-mn-state-capitol

(Copying image addresses straight from tumblr doesn't count as leeching does it? I mean it is an image hosting site..)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
"We should deny people rights because we might not like the outcome" is a pretty loving ballsy statement, ma'am.

Our founding fathers were by and large bigots, in addition to being literal slaveowners. :psyduck: The gently caress is wrong with you?

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008
Haha, "Were our Founding Fathers bigots?"

Um, yeah, it's not like most of them literally owned people?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
What about our bigoted children?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Why is this exact woman every horrible person that speaks out against equality and stuff?

It's like there's a factory somewhere that pops them out and sticks them into Town & Country's and sends them into the world.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
LOL "Metro focused". 90% of the state's population lives here and we pay for basically everything in outstate so...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
When were gay marriage advocates saying that if we stop an amendment banning gay marriage in MN we wouldn't push for actual marriage equality?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The couple on the left with the "Don't Erase Moms and Dads" sign looks so unhappy to be next to them queermos :allears:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
What on earth was this lady on about when she said this would remove the only law that connects children to parents?

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Mo_Steel posted:

When were gay marriage advocates saying that if we stop an amendment banning gay marriage in MN we wouldn't push for actual marriage equality?

Well you see, right here in my pocket...

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

One of the arguments made against the amendment was that it stifled further debate on the issue, so the amendment should not pass and discussion should continue. It was the basis for Minnesota for Marriage's amicus brief to SCOTUS in the Prop 8 case. However, that's obviously not the same thing as saying "we will not pursue marriage equality".

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mo_Steel posted:

Never.

Edit: one of the focuses of the MN United for all Families for the constitutional amendment was pointing out that Same Sex Marriage was already illegal under MN state law so that voting against the Amendment wouldn't change anything, but there was no promise to not go for full equality. At least that I know anyways.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Swing State Victim posted:

One of the arguments made against the amendment was that it stifled further debate on the issue, so the amendment should not pass and discussion should continue. It was the basis for Minnesota for Marriage's amicus brief to SCOTUS in the Prop 8 case.

"Discussion should continue" isn't "promised us nothing would change" though. She is just disingenuously strawmanning and outright lying in an attempt to smear proponents of gay marriage.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

They said that voting down amendment 1 would not legalize same sex marriage, which is legally true but the practical effect of voting down amendment 1 and big DFL wins was always going to be a serious attempt at marriage.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Joe Radinovich is voting yes. That's not a surprise, but he's really putting his political future on the line so it's a brave thing to do.

Edit: More than 60% of his constituents voted to ban gay marriage last election and he has a republican trying to recall him, so this is probably the only really significant vote that he'll get to make. Good on him.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2013

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zeroisanumber posted:

Joe Radinovich is voting yes. That's not a surprise, but he's really putting his political future on the line so it's a brave thing to do.

There was a good article on that this morning: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/05/09/politics/radinovich-same-sex-marriage

quote:

Radinovich's stand on marriage could cost him job, voters say
by Mark Zdechlik, Minnesota Public Radio
May 9, 2013

AITKIN, Minn. — For many of those in the Minnesota House of Representatives, Thursday's vote on a bill to allow same-sex marriage carries significant political risk, especially if they disagree with voters in their districts.

Last year, in Aitkin in north-central Minnesota, a solid majority of people voted for a proposed constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman, effectively banning same-sex marriages.

Even so, the first-term representative from the area says he will vote for the bill to legalize same-sex marriage.

At Daune's Barber Styling, a few steps from the main intersection in downtown Aitkin, owner Duane Gross said he has heard plenty of talk about DFL state Rep. Joe Radinovich's decision to vote to legalize same-sex marriage.

"Oh, yes, I have," Gross said.

As he trims a customer's hair using an electric clipper, Gross is quick to state his opposition to same-sex marriage. He called it "ridiculous" that his representative is in favor of same-sex marriage when last fall 63 percent of the area's constituents voted for the proposed constitutional amendment defining marriage.

"They don't want two men or two women to be married. They're for one man and for one woman," Gross said. "And in democracy you should be representing the majority and that's what the majority wants. That's what he should be representing."

The customer, an older gentleman, said same-sex marriage is a "slap in the face" to those couples in traditional marriages. He makes it clear he wants to the conversation to end.

From the floor of the Minnesota House, Radinovich said voting against same-sex marriage would "betray" his conscience and that good public servants need to be "true to themselves."

"I'd rather have the voters be upset with me right now than for me to be upset with myself for the rest of my life for making the wrong decision," Radinovich said.

Back in downtown Aitkin, some of Radinovich's constituents certainly are upset with him, including one man who said gay people should be rounded up and shot.

"Well, it sounds to me like (Radinovich) must be gay too. I'm totally against that," the man said. He declined to give his name.

On the sidewalk with the unnamed man, Paul Ellingson, 75, of Crosby, Minn., said he does not oppose same-sex marriage, but he thinks representatives need to vote in line with the wishes of the majority of people they represent.

"You know with anything, the representative is responsible for representing his district and the wants of the people," Ellingson said. "If he isn't doing that, then he's dead wrong. I don't care what the issue is."

Not all who were interviewed in Aitkin said representatives like Radinovich should be compelled to act on the will of the majority of their constituents.

Out shopping with a friend, Joan Kingsley, 72, said Radinovich should do what he thinks necessary.

"Well, we elected him to do what he thought was best," Kingsley said.

But going against the will of the majority could very well cost Radinovich his chance at re-election, Kingsley said.

The notion lawmakers should vote based on what they think is right and not the will of their constituent majority seems to be the minority opinion in Radinovich's district. There's already an effort to hold a recall election to replace Radinovich over the same-sex marriage issue.

Doug Kern who lives just south of Brainerd in Radinovich's district has filed a recall petition and is already collecting signatures.

"When you have a representative that is clearly not representing his constituents -- I mean absolutely, positively not representing them, that's wrong," Kern said.

The Minnesota Constitution says a recall can only proceed if a public official is convicted of a "serious crime," or is otherwise deemed guilty of "serious malfeasance or nonfeasance."

Long-time Aitkin County Republican Pat Williams signed Kern's petition, although he doubts the recall will be successful. He does think that Radinovich will have a hard time getting re-elected next year.

"I do think that it is a strong warning to him and perhaps to others like him that they shouldn't be disregarding what a majority of the people want in terms of their representation," Williams said.

Radinovich said he is at peace with his decision to vote in support of same-sex marriage. He does plan a re-election run, and looks forward to discussing his decision with constituents.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Deuce posted:

What on earth was this lady on about when she said this would remove the only law that connects children to parents?

I've heard organizations like NOM say bullshit like "Children have a right to know their biological mother and father," so it might be something like that.

In fact, one of NOM's board members recently literally said that adoptive families are "second-best" to a child's biological mother and father.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130313/us-supreme-court-modern-families/?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=politics

quote:

"You're looking at what is the best course societywide to get you the optimal result in the widest variety of cases. That often is not open to people in individual cases. Certainly adoption in families headed, like Chief Roberts' family is, by a heterosexual couple, is by far the second-best option," said John Eastman, chairman of the National Organization for Marriage. Eastman also teaches law at Chapman University law school in Orange, Calif.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Ho hum, another lukewarm traditionalist appeal that can be hand waved away with any single example of historical shittiness you want to use.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
There will be consequences. Can't you tell from the tone of my voice? :geno:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Awful lot of generic concern trolling about government by this speaker. :effort:

e: Courage is denying equal rights to others. Good to know.

vvv "That's my speech.... thanks for noticing me..."

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2013

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

TheLoser posted:

Really enjoying this dude's Eeyore-like cadence and demeanor.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

katium posted:

I've heard organizations like NOM say bullshit like "Children have a right to know their biological mother and father," so it might be something like that.

In fact, one of NOM's board members recently literally said that adoptive families are "second-best" to a child's biological mother and father.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130313/us-supreme-court-modern-families/?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=politics

What :psyduck: Let me go through all six people who live in my house:

Me and D, whose biological parents are still together and are good people and haven't cut off contact.
C, whose biological mother passed away, and B, whose biological father passed away. Neither has remarried.
A, whose mother and father are separated, and whose mother is an incredibly controlling person that he tries to avoid.
J, whose mother and father are also separated with a restraining order against his biological father as a result of abuse as a child.

We're all recent college graduates, C is the only non-engineer major, B and I are both grad students, and J, A, and D all make >$50,000 a year in prestigious jobs.

But please, continue crowing on about how biological mothers and fathers are always the best option for kids. That surely won't alienate people towards you.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Mo_Steel posted:

Awful lot of generic concern trolling about government by this speaker. :effort:

vvv "That's my speech about courage.... thanks for noticing me..."

Gay marriage is communism you see.

Also, wants of a few? Have you paid any attention to how the voting on the subject has been going, chief?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheLoser posted:

You can't redefine marriage in Minnesota! You Will Regret This!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Just got back from lunch and errands (and shoppin' for my mom's mother's day gift :3:). Have they largely been sadsacks like this schmuck?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The duplicity in his very remarks from one second to the next is loving astounding.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Teddybear posted:

Just got back from lunch and errands (and shoppin' for my mom's mother's day gift :3:). Have they largely been sadsacks like this schmuck?

nah plenty of good DFL speakers and GOP rep Fitzsimmons

Edit: The guy who's on right now is the "How many more gay people does God have to create before we figure out that he wants them around?" from the 2011 debates.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Teddybear posted:

Nope. Mostly pro-legalization. No republicans have crossed the aisle yet though. Kinda hoping that the vote is straight party-line, just to reenforce the shittiness of the GOP in the future.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nope. Mostly pro-legalization. No republicans have crossed the aisle yet though. Kinda hoping that the vote is straight party-line, just to reenforce the shittiness of the GOP in the future.

I'm really thinking that Fitzsimmons will vote yes, I don't know about anybody else.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't know much about MN politics. If the vote is completely party-line, will gay marriage be legalized?

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

quiggy posted:

I don't know much about MN politics. If the vote is completely party-line, will gay marriage be legalized?

Yes, DFL has majority but has possible rural outstate dissenters

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
^^^:argh:

quiggy posted:

Yes. The dems control the House and the Senate.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cool :) Hope you guys can join the RI/DE party.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man, this guy is getting really verklempt :unsmith:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is beautiful and touching

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Loving Life Partner posted:

Man, this guy is getting really verklempt :unsmith:

I'll cop to a bit of that myself. Really proud of my state today. :unsmith: