Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flotzilla
May 3, 2003
Pride of the Peaches
Is the War of the Worlds LP hard to come by or something? I saw like three copies at a local used book/record store (Half-Priced Books) a few years ago. I was really tempted but passed on it because they were a bit rough around the edges. Now I'm wondering if I made a terrible mistake.

Also, I'm really glad I never paid the insane prices of Boards of Canada vinyl on eBay because it looks like they are finally repressing.

http://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10579

This is a happy day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Flotzilla posted:

Is the War of the Worlds LP hard to come by or something? I saw like three copies at a local used book/record store (Half-Priced Books) a few years ago. I was really tempted but passed on it because they were a bit rough around the edges. Now I'm wondering if I made a terrible mistake.
I had never personally seen one until browsing my friend's collection, but they're pretty common. You can find copies on Discogs for like a dollar and change.

Ps. My copy of Relationship of Command from Hot Topic showed up just now, and it is indeed the RSD version, in case anyone else who ordered it was wondering.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 9, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I had never personally seen one until browsing my friend's collection, but they're pretty common. You can find copies on Discogs for like a dollar and change.

Ps. My copy of Relationship of Command from Hot Topic showed up just now, and it is indeed the RSD version, in case anyone else who ordered it was wondering.

Mine's coming to me on the West Coast but was shipped from TN and spent three days getting to Atlanta and hasn't been updated since...

It's gonna be all bent up and poo poo, I just know it :(

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Flotzilla posted:

Is the War of the Worlds LP hard to come by or something?

About as common as Frampton Comes Alive here :australia:. Almost every mumdads collection I've seen has at least one in it. Two if marriage combined collections.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Copies of The Caretaker re-issues are selling out everywhere, but if anyone cares there's still copies over at Experimedia.

http://experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=8396

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ron Burgundy posted:

To be fair, the soundtrack was the most profitable part of the entire venture. But I kind of like the movie too. The ELO side is passable as ELO.

Jeff Lynne didn't particularly care for it either and he wrote it! He did re-record the title track for the Flashback box set.

The Olivia Newton-John half is barely listenable. And I like Olivia Newton-John (childhood crush, don't you know).

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Copies of The Caretaker re-issues are selling out everywhere, but if anyone cares there's still copies over at Experimedia.

http://experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=8396

gently caress it, so much for that "vinyl budget". Thanks for the heads up. The cost with shipping was about the same as the GBP to USD for the record itself on Boomkat/Norman.

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea
Well....after about 7 months, 10 unanswered emails and 2 "it's on it's way" responses I came home to find The Man With the Iron Fists Lp on my doorstep. I preordered this in September and have gotten the run around from Soul Temple since November. I know there was at least one person on here that pre ordered as well, so keep holding out hope.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Discoooogs! :argh:

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

david puddy posted:

Haha, i'm sure a video exists of this but I want to see a record so warped that it launches the tonearm off the album

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Jeff Lynne didn't particularly care for it either and he wrote it! He did re-record the title track for the Flashback box set.

I didn't know Jeff hated it, that sucks. I do find myself getting poo poo for liking the movie (It's about not giving up on your dreams) but the soundtrack has always been rather guilt free.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

whereismyshoe posted:

Haha, i'm sure a video exists of this but I want to see a record so warped that it launches the tonearm off the album

It does this at 45rpm. The bad spot almost touches the needle when it's hovering above in the up position, it's insane

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

david puddy posted:

Totally VG+, bro.

My new-from-Amazon copy of the 3xLP Marley soundtrack was almost that warped. It does play fine though, weirdly. I woulda returned it, but it was a gift and oh well'z.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
That gif is a great reminder that in a few short weeks getting records by mail becomes a risky crapshoot for folks like myself that live in desert hellscapes. Daft Punk will likely be my last order and then it's local only until October. At least half of last summers orders arrived a little warped.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

iluvpr0n posted:

Totally VG+, bro.

My new-from-Amazon copy of the 3xLP Marley soundtrack was almost that warped. It does play fine though, weirdly. I woulda returned it, but it was a gift and oh well'z.

It skips in the first couple of minutes but after that it sounds surprisingly good. I'm hoping I'll get a partial refund because it is frustrating.

Dr. Lariat posted:

That gif is a great reminder that in a few short weeks getting records by mail becomes a risky crapshoot for folks like myself that live in desert hellscapes. Daft Punk will likely be my last order and then it's local only until October. At least half of last summers orders arrived a little warped.

He said it was warped in the listing, but he also said it played fine. Plus it's a 40 year old record. The only new album I've bought that was badly warped was from a local store, so...

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 10, 2013

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Seeing all the posts here about being hosed by packaging and discogs sellers makes me feel great I have like 4 good records stores within 20-30 minutes. Yeah you can't stop records from being warped, but it's a lot easier to go back to the store and get a refund, or better yet the store is awesome and has a place set up where you can listen to the album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
No matter where you're buying from, if you're getting records online you're already excepting the risk that what you're going to get is/will get hosed up. It's just the nature of buying online. I try to avoid it.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

david puddy posted:

Plus it's a 40 year old record.

I hate it when they mention this in the item descriptions: "This record is in really great shape for its age!!! So what if it looks like it was soaked in a vat of hydrochloric acid and then run over by a car? What do you expect, it's a 40-year-old record!"

The worst part is that such descriptions are often part and parcel of seemingly amazing scores. There's a definite correlation between "I have no idea that this is a $100 record, which is why I'm pricing it at $5" and "Nope, sorry, never heard of the Goldmine grading guidelines." Just comes with the territory, I guess.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Thanks for the heads up! And whoever buys the last copy will be happy to know that I did not buy doubles to flip on eBay, even though I maybe should have.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

What's the record? It's the same Island imprint that's on all my early Free records. I got them all from a collection in pretty good condition my friend was trying to get rid of, it was all from some guy who had written BART on all his records&sleeves. Thanks again BART, I listened to the hell out of Fire and Water and the rest of the stuff I nabbed off ya, dude had pretty decent taste and kept his stuff in alright shape although some of the covers were thrashed.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
My copy of Chairs Missing is warped somewhat like that but it plays fine to my ears, anyway. I didn't even notice it at first...

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Elrobot posted:

What's the record? It's the same Island imprint that's on all my early Free records. I got them all from a collection in pretty good condition my friend was trying to get rid of, it was all from some guy who had written BART on all his records&sleeves. Thanks again BART, I listened to the hell out of Fire and Water and the rest of the stuff I nabbed off ya, dude had pretty decent taste and kept his stuff in alright shape although some of the covers were thrashed.

Larks' Tongues In Aspic by King Crimson. The sleeve is intact, but pretty dirty.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'm convinced it's this. I've just never got around to actually sifting through it all until now.

On that note, can anyone recommend alphabetical dividers? I'll need ones with the tab on the side.

To be fair, the soundtrack was the most profitable part of the entire venture. But I kind of like the movie too. The ELO side is passable as ELO.

If it's any consolation in one of my weaker moments I bought the Xanadu sound track on iTunes. Not one of ELO's better moments. Or Olivia Newton John's for that matter...or mine.

What the hell was I thinking.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
What are your guys guilty pleasure records? I'll admit I have the Jive Bunny Album.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mace Bacon posted:

What are your guys guilty pleasure records? I'll admit I have the Jive Bunny Album.

Guilty pleasures or, as adults like to call them, pleasures. :smuggo:

Jive bunny is rad.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Mace Bacon posted:

I have Ratts complete studio catalog.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
So my storage unit has finally run out of space. Is the Ikea shelf still the gold standard of record storage?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mace Bacon posted:

My promo 12" of Weird Al's White and Nerdy.

I seriously don't know why I loving have it. I don't remember getting it. But now that I have it, I do have to insist to random passerbys that they have not heard "Trapped in the Drivethru" until they've heard it on vinyl. That poo poo is tight.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My local shop here in Winnipeg, Into the Music, just received a fuckton of records from CBC archives and I went to take a look this week. $4/LP too which is nice! Record sleeves were in fair to poor condition but the discs themselves were perfect. There is too much to really go over but some standouts were CBC poetry readings (I should go back to pick it up) and a bunch of Orson Welles radio spots that I should grab too but they were in shambles from being so old. Even found that War of the Worlds album that was posted earlier. These are the few I picked up tho - the Robin Williams I got only because of the DJ notes on the back.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

CBC archives
I'm pretty close to ya in Edmonton and I know the Goodwill by my house has french archives collection with the same coding system as in your photos. I looked through a bunch and was really happy with some Jean Michel Jarre produced electronic stuff but I'm not sure if it had been picked over as it's been there for a while now. I'm wondering if someone made off with a huge load of Serge Gainsbourg or George Brassens

I'm in Calgary and visited Sloth Records and was happy to find Soulsavers - Tough Guys Don't Dance put out on their own label. Cheapest listed on discogs is $60 from Europe and I grabbed it locally for $20. Now if only I could find some of the Mark Lanegan stuff they did without paying hundreds of dollars...
Also grabbed the new Nick Cave album Push The Sky Away which is great and included a bonus 7", I'm really digging side AA Lightning Bolts

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Elrobot posted:

not sure if it had been picked over as it's been there for a while now. I'm wondering if someone made off with a huge load of Serge Gainsbourg or George Brassens

I worked at a Goodwill for seven years, and if my experiences there can be generalized to elsewhere, you pretty much have to be in the store when the records are brought onto the floor if you want to score the best of the best. I was in a much smaller city, but there was still a small core group of collectors/resellers who hit all the stores every loving day; one guy came at least twice a day. Now toss in the more numerous casual collectors who frequent the thrift stores, as well as the random college student who went to Goodwill to buy a lamp but who also has a turntable and knows a lot about music and sees a pretty cool-looking crate of of wax hit the floor, and you end up with a kind of hybrid between a feeding frenzy and a lottery. Rarely does anything worthwhile last more than 24 hours, and it's usually gone within a couple hours, if not minutes.

And of course, it's even harder when one of the employees is a collector, as was the case when I worked there. If a record donation came in, I'd just set it aside and pick through it on lunch break and/or after my shift. Only the leftovers hit the floor. I did work out a cool deal with one of the serious collectors, though; I'd hold good stuff I didn't need for him, and he'd give me good deals on stuff he found elsewhere that I wanted. This was all completely against store policy, but I could hardly have given less of a gently caress.

I sometimes drive myself crazy fretting over what I may have missed out on. For instance, one of the worst things to happen when I was at Goodwill was to return to work after a day off and find that a big collection had been donated the previous day. I'd pore through the leftovers and extrapolate on what it might have contained initially ("poo poo, here's the cover to Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch with no record inside... was this a motherload of an original Blue Notes? And if so, then WHY THE gently caress DID I TAKE YESTERDAY OFF? gently caress me, I'm working all day, every day from now on.")

This poo poo can really become near-pathological at times. For me, anyway. Hopefully you guys are psychologically healthier than I am.

e: While I did buy between 1K and 2K records during my time at Goodwill, there was an odd dearth of super amazing scores (although there were certainly some great ones). This might be because it was in a suburb of a smallish city in the "southern midwest" (as I call it), and we got a lot--a LOT--of country records. And then some of those big band box sets. And then Mantovani and Lawrence Welk. And then The 1000 Strings. And then maybe some beat-up copies of Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and Hendrix(!). And then, more country....

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 12, 2013

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
If it's anything like any of the radio stations I've done work at all the good records were probably stolen from the collection long ago before it even got dumped at Goodwill.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Twenty four hours of silence later...

I went to see Secret Chiefs 3 last night in Los Angeles, the set was amazing and so far off base from the projected setlist that it blew my mind. They were selling goodies at the front desk and I had to get something to remember the night by and I found this little number...

I didn't even know these were still being sold, over five years out of press. A friend came up and told me that the stack of ~10 copies they had displayed were pretty much the last ones you'd ever except to see on sale besides those owned by insane nerds. My copy was $25. :homebrew:

I haven't even gotten through listening to both sides before I dropped in on my local record store on the way back from work this morning and picked up an album I've been looking for since the passing of Storm Thorgerson.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
^^^ Envious of that Azoth, nice score.

Mace Bacon posted:

I've got Jive Bunny too. Think my biggest guilty pleasure is the 7" of Footloose though. Ain't no way you're going to stay still while that is playing.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Mace Bacon posted:

What are your guys guilty pleasure records?

Massive amounts of Herb Alpert and Klaus Wunderlich records.

I am absolutely mental for organ cover version medleys of popular tunes.

And Manhattan Transfer, oh my gently caress. I don't want to know what my neighbours think of me.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Has anyone else managed to get ahold of the new Streetlight Manifesto album yet?

I pre-ordered it, and the (now-cancelled) Toh Kay LP, from the RISC store.

I honestly didn't expect either to actually show up; the drama between Kalnoky and Victory is approaching Zappa vs WB levels (but with less talent).

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I just watched Boogie Nights and tried to find a copy of the OST on vinyl, but all searches turned up nothing. I take it there is no such thing? If it doesn't exist, it's a bloody shame. I guess I could buy the CDs... :smith:

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
Has anyone from Australia had any problems with returns to Amazon?

I just received Sugar's "Copper Blue/Beaster" remastered 2 disc set and have this wonderful problem:

It plays fine, with probably one pop at the start of the second track so I'm debating on whether it is worth the bother of shipping back etc.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm not from Australia but I returned 3 copies of The XX S/T to Amazon for nitpicky reasons and they were completely fine with it, including shipping me a new copy before I even returned the first, twice.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Jasta posted:

I just watched Boogie Nights and tried to find a copy of the OST on vinyl, but all searches turned up nothing. I take it there is no such thing? If it doesn't exist, it's a bloody shame. I guess I could buy the CDs... :smith:

This reminds me that I'd love to see a vinyl issue of that "accidentally avant-garde" Farrah Abraham album. Such a gloriously weird train wreck. As someone somewhere said, "It's almost as if she'd never heard a song before."

--------

Also, now this is how you ship a record overseas. I'd pay extra shipping costs for this every time. Thank you, Julie from Ground Zero in Paris. You're a pal.

My miniature sub-collection of All the Wipers Records I Care Enough About to Want Originals Of is now complete. Still have to compare the sound quality to the Jackpot reissue.

Also also, it's old-ish news now, but I'm really glad everyone turned me on to that Q Lazzarus track. I'd never heard/noticed it before, and it is amazing. Not only that, but it reminded me of the movie, which I watched with the wife last night, and which is also as awesome as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Nice. My copy of the RSD ATDI from Music Fear Satan (France) was basically two pieces of cardboard sandwiching the album and taped seams.

Every loving Euro mailer I get is a thin flimsy piece of poo poo.

Speaking of which, I have a spare copy of the USA release of the RSD ATDI if anyone wants it at $40