Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

Did you read the first box that says "That I, Doctor Octopus, Am Now Spider-Man!"?

My eyes just glazed over that. Sorry about the stupid question.

The return of The Skrull Beatles Wisdom 6
I miss Skrull John Lennon :(

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Who's the fourth dude in super heavyweights?

e: beaten so bad it isn't funny--forgot to check for extra pages!

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Vandal Savage was in top form in Demon Knights #20. First, he discovers the Kama Sutra:

And then:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm pretty certain Aunt May shot Spider-Man at one point with a gun. Later in that same issue (ASM 115)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm pretty certain Aunt May shot Spider-Man at one point with a gun. Later in that same issue (ASM 115)

No, he stops her by going "Look, Mrs. Parker! The smoke! Your meatloaf -- it's on fire! Do you want to stop me or save dinner?!" and she runs off back to the kitchen.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lobok posted:

No, he stops her by going "Look, Mrs. Parker! The smoke! Your meatloaf -- it's on fire! Do you want to stop me or save dinner?!" and she runs off back to the kitchen.

Considering it's Amazing Spiderman I don't know whether you're joking or if that's what really happened

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lobok posted:

A brick comes loose and hits Spidey in the head.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Skottie Young cover for X-Men #1

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GorfZaplen posted:

Considering it's Amazing Spiderman I don't know whether you're joking or if that's what really happened

I'm just joking of course, but so is Spidey. His internal monologue is just for his own humour because obviously an old lady with a pistol wouldn't be a threat to a hero with superhuman agility and reflexes and an ability to web up guns. The next panel has him laughing it off

until MJ hits him with a sack of door knobs! "IS THIS THE END OF SPIDER-MAN, TRUE BELIEVERS?!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Who was the first person to write Aunt May as anything but an idiotic burden?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Stan Lee, if that Sig Sauer up there is any indication.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Exit Strategy posted:

Stan Lee, if that Sig Sauer up there is any indication.
No, I'm pretty sure "idiotic burden" covers "pointing a gun at Spider-Man to protect Doc Ock who she thinks is just a misunderstood gentleman" pretty well.

That whole plot line was just loving stupid.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Alpha #4 - The best parts of the mini are any time Alpha's being a gigantic dork.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Stan Lee, although Ditko may have had some input as well. I'm thinking specifically of the scene in Amazing #18 where she verbally bitch-slaps Peter out of the funk he's been in for the whole issue.

After that, though? JMS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Stan Lee, although Ditko may have had some input as well. I'm thinking specifically of the scene in Amazing #18 where she verbally bitch-slaps Peter out of the funk he's been in for the whole issue.

After that, though? JMS.

JMS' characterization of May and MJ by far make up for his neglect of the rest of the supporting cast.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I should say, DeMatteis wrote Aunt May really well in Amazing 400. So of course that was retconned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Has a single thing DeMatteis wrote not been retconned by now? I think he was probably the writer that did the most to make Peter Parker grow up, so all this rolling back the clock in the last 20 years basically wiped out everything he did.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

JMS' characterization of May and MJ by far make up for his neglect of the rest of the supporting cast.

I wouldn't say JMS neglected the supporting cast. There were 2-3 other Spider-Man titles at all times while JMS was writing the book, and other writers were using some of Spidey's characters as well (Urich and Jameson were showing up a lot in Daredevil, for example). After the shitstorm that was the reboot era, where some of the problem was because the HUGE SUPPORTING CAST GOT SO MUCH FOCUS, it was very fitting for JMS to say "gently caress this noise" and focus mostly on Peter, MJ, and May.

But JMS isn't the first writer to give May some personality, though he probably did it the best. I think it was Roger Stern that had her turn her Queens' home into a boarding home for the elderly. She even staged protest to support senior citizens' rights and whatnot. Also, Amazing 400, where May "dies" at the end and she reveals she's always known Peter is Spider-Man, was a very touching issue as well.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Suben posted:

Alpha #4 - The best parts of the mini are any time Alpha's being a gigantic dork.

The Spider-Man poochie character got a mini?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Vincent posted:

Joshua Hale Fialkov is redeeming him slowly but surely.

I'm pretty sure at this point that if you stuck Fialkov and Jeff Parker on the same project, they could turn any character into something worthwhile. "I used to hate the Power Pachyderms, but man, after the Fialkov and Parker one-shot, I really want to see them again!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Weren't the Power Pachyderms just a one shot to begin with?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vincent posted:

As I described him earlier, he's basically a doofy kid who's like the Sentry if he was too stupid to go insane.

Terrible Burden
May 6, 2004

Dogchops

Alhazred posted:

You better believe it:

Welp this thread has reminded me of a wonderful treasure; I have ensured my copy of this treasure by paying what my roommate considers obscene amounts of money on amazon for what claims to be brand new hardcover copies of vol. 1 & 2. My roommate is a fool and if I could get away with it I would punch him, take his debit card and buy another two copies for him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Threep posted:

This is adorable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Threep posted:

My niece has already told her mother that the only people who live forever are God and Batman. I need her to have that as a poster.

edit: I showed her mom and she told me to buy it. WHERE CAN I BUY THIS AS A POSTER.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 10, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Matlock posted:

I still can't help but read that in The Rock's voice.

And just in case anyone thinks that was a simple, single art error in Injustice 17...

I just read the issue and it's kind of fascinating because you can tell that the artist is on a deadline. For the first half of the issue, the art is pretty decent. Not fantastic, but good enough that you forget that this is the same comic with BATFACE. Then about halfway into it, he starts rushing his art and we get pages like that. And panels like this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I wouldn't say JMS neglected the supporting cast. There were 2-3 other Spider-Man titles at all times while JMS was writing the book, and other writers were using some of Spidey's characters as well (Urich and Jameson were showing up a lot in Daredevil, for example). After the shitstorm that was the reboot era, where some of the problem was because the HUGE SUPPORTING CAST GOT SO MUCH FOCUS, it was very fitting for JMS to say "gently caress this noise" and focus mostly on Peter, MJ, and May.

But JMS isn't the first writer to give May some personality, though he probably did it the best. I think it was Roger Stern that had her turn her Queens' home into a boarding home for the elderly. She even staged protest to support senior citizens' rights and whatnot. Also, Amazing 400, where May "dies" at the end and she reveals she's always known Peter is Spider-Man, was a very touching issue as well.

80s Aunt May was some of the best Aunt May, and really the whole triangle with her, Nathan, and Peter was some of the best interpersonal drama the stories have ever had, but Len Wein also had Aunt May out protesting in the late 70s.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh my christ that's fantastic. DAHHH I AM THE NIIIGHT I NEED ANOTHER ROBIN HURR DE DURR DE DURRR

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Choco1980 posted:

Weren't the Power Pachyderms just a one shot to begin with?

Yeah, but I saw Linkara was taking a swing at it and so it was fresh in my mind. Substitute whatever deeply flawed idea that you'd prefer to use.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Holy poo poo, Power Pachyderms was an actual thing?? :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CapnAndy posted:

edit: I showed her mom and she told me to buy it. WHERE CAN I BUY THIS AS A POSTER.

A few of the "baby" variants are up on Young's website. Hopefully he sells enough to justify printing the others (I'd love to have the Thanos that he drew).
http://skottieyoungstore.bigcartel.com/
(If he's at a convention near you, he was selling them for $20 at C2E2.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
What sound does a space shark make when it gets hit by a grizzled Thunder God?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I finally remembered what this panel reminded me of:

Specifically, this bit:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Congrats, guys, you got Injustice featured on the front page.
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/batman-catwoman-face.php

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

redbackground posted:

What sound does a space shark make when it gets hit by a grizzled Thunder God?

This needs the followup

Thor God of Thunder #8

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

from Strange Adventures #101

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

GorfZaplen posted:

from Strange Adventures #101

Well, don't keep us in suspense. Why was the fish so danged important?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I just assumed someone was going to have sex with it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mike From Nowhere posted:

Well, don't keep us in suspense. Why was the fish so danged important?

The kid wants it to win a fishing contest.

The alien needs it for Venusian justice.

all Strange Adventures #101

BONUS

Strange Adventures #138

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I figured the kid's reason was probably really lovely in the face of whatever makes an alien travel to earth, but winning a fishing contest isn't worth "anything on earth" you idiot.

• Locked thread