Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Luckily for my friend he was only going 45-50mph into Canada corner at the time of the failure and wound up in the gravel. In some other spots around Road America it might have gotten ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Savington posted:

Jesus, that was common this weekend.

Fractured my LR wheel hub at ~105mph in the middle of a fast right-hand corner. My video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQHyjr-ybJk

Not my car, but an identical failure on ANOTHER Miata on the opposite side of the country on the same weekend :wtc:

I imagine the worst part of that was when you survived, didn't flip the car, but were stuck on the tarmac and couldn't move when there are still cars coming.

Glad you made it!

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

Scales? DOT? What are you driving?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Savington posted:

Jesus, that was common this weekend.

Fractured my LR wheel hub at ~105mph in the middle of a fast right-hand corner. My video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQHyjr-ybJk

Not my car, but an identical failure on ANOTHER Miata on the opposite side of the country on the same weekend :wtc:

Hey, I was there for the hdpe. Glad you're OK--seemed like a lot of people found themselves in the dirt that weekend.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

“When fully mature the valve bud will leave the piston bed and migrate to it's proper place in the internal combustion ecosystem."

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Got any shots of the munched-up head?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I think I found out my P0141 problem...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Devyl posted:

I think I found out my P0141 problem...

How in the actual gently caress did the outside melt while the actual sensor bit is intact? Alternately, what the hell am I looking at?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Boat failure time.

This one isn't a failure of any sort whatsoever, but it gives an idea of the kind of engines we deal with:

This group of photos are all from an item of equipment - any guesses?

And this is a different piece of equipment - again, any guesses?

And for bonus points on the second one, anyone guess HOW they found the problem?

And this is not so much mechanical failure as crew morale failure

Yeah.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
This was the driver's side idler arm on a early 2000-ish AWD Chevy Astro Van:

I'd like to think that there was plenty of advance warning before this happened, just amazed it didn't cause an accident when it did. :stare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Fucknag posted:

How in the actual gently caress did the outside melt while the actual sensor bit is intact? Alternately, what the hell am I looking at?

The internals of that O2 sensor are missing if you look carefully (it shouldn't be see-through in the perforated cylinder). Edit: it's not see-through but holy gently caress it's powdery white from a massive amount of heat. How do you have an engine left if it ran that lean?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Savington posted:

Brake failure? Check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKa2nPfgWIE&t=565s

Swelled and "popped" the OEM rubber line out of its crimp fitting. Had it happened one corner earlier, I'd have been in the hospital and the car would have been totaled. Everything I touch gets stainless lines now.

Good to hear you're okay. Just in case your brakes ever fail at 10. Go thru the fence like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrveASsJMZ0

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BARBE-SPRINGUUUUUUU

350 chevy boat engine, got so hot the valve got pliable enough for the spring to turn it inside-out.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

EightBit posted:

The internals of that O2 sensor are missing if you look carefully (it shouldn't be see-through in the perforated cylinder). Edit: it's not see-through but holy gently caress it's powdery white from a massive amount of heat. How do you have an engine left if it ran that lean?

The idle actually dropped about 350-400 rpm after I changed that out, if that tells you anything. The inside is toast, but the outside got bent from the previous owner trying to imitate a Top Gear stunt or something. It was bent even worse than that. Had to take a pair of pliers and bend it back enough to fit in the O2 socket.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Slavvy posted:

BARBE-SPRINGUUUUUUU

350 chevy boat engine, got so hot the valve got pliable enough for the spring to turn it inside-out.

Uhh, I'm going to need to see the other valves before I believe the valve neatly inverted without causing carnage before the head melted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Uhh, I'm going to need to see the other valves before I believe the valve neatly inverted without causing carnage before the head melted.

Cast iron head :ssh:

Best theory thus far is that it was a defective valve out of the factory, the others were fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:allears: It looks so natural...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

from the show "last car standing", 3 way tug of war, BMW driver thought he was spinning his tires, so he shifted up through the gears to 5th and gunned it. linked because 5mb gif.

http://i.minus.com/iboCK7VV5sAIZY.gif

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

from the show "last car standing", 3 way tug of war, BMW driver thought he was spinning his tires, so he shifted up through the gears to 5th and gunned it. linked because 5mb gif.

http://i.minus.com/iboCK7VV5sAIZY.gif

What the hell happened?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that show any good? I saw that it was from the makers of Canada's Worst Driver but it's so hard to catch up on those shows (either legally or not quite as much but defended by the home taping act :canada:) that I missed all of the episodes so far.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Super melty clutch. But that's an e46 m3 bumper on an e36 so that car deserves it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is that show any good? I saw that it was from the makers of Canada's Worst Driver but it's so hard to catch up on those shows (either legally or not quite as much but defended by the home taping act :canada:) that I missed all of the episodes so far.

Canada's worst driver is genuinely great and horrifying at the same time. It is loving mind boggling how BAD people can be at driving.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Boat failure time.

This group of photos are all from an item of equipment - any guesses?

And this is not so much mechanical failure as crew morale failure

Yeah.

Air conditioning evap/condenser coil I am guessing?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, will lawyer up thanks goons.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 8, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
If you go the legal route, you should avoid posting about it until the trial is over and your lawyer has given you the thumbs up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, just delete the post and carry on. Contact a lawyer, who will contact Dodge for you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

PromethiumX posted:

Air conditioning evap/condenser coil I am guessing?

Yep. Holes like that aren't normal operating conditions, that's for sure.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not necessarily a mechanical faliure, but a friend doing One Lap of America in their FRS just had a puncture of their floor somehow.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I watched a bit of that episode the other night, was pretty terrible. They dont actually do anything fun or cool.

3 challenges are:
drive around a tiny circle for 6 laps, slowest car gets destroyed.
drive up a steep ramp, car who has the lowest angle gets destroyed.
3 way tug of war, winner moves on, 2 others tug of war again and the loser gets destroyed.

didnt hang around to watch the final challenge.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Soon.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/85083-forged-performance-the-truth/

This whole thread is full of mechanical failure gold. Guy spent $250k and waited 22 months for his GTR and got back a pile of crap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
OVER TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS SPENT?!

Jesus loving christ, why why why why don't I run a shoddy shop and rip idiots off? Why?

I could quite literally live for ten years on that much ill gotten money if I had to.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Comrade Flynn posted:

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/85083-forged-performance-the-truth/

This whole thread is full of mechanical failure gold. Guy spent $250k and waited 22 months for his GTR and got back a pile of crap.

http://www.myg37.com/forums/vendor-comments-reviews-feedback/207073-forged-performance-and-my-g37-tt-build.html

Another guy with the same experience with the same shop.

What a hack.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I just finished reading the $250k GT-R and holy poo poo that's bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

OVER TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS SPENT?!

Jesus loving christ, why why why why don't I run a shoddy shop and rip idiots off? Why?

I could quite literally live for ten years on that much ill gotten money if I had to.

Um, as much as I suspect the shop is at fault, apparently this shop had a pretty bad reputation to begin with.

Its a shop failure and a gullible fool.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

D C posted:

What a hack.

Imagine how many idiot customers he has that don't know the difference between good work and bad... I'd wager a couple bucks that they outnumber the ones who do.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
You would never in a million years see anything come out of my shop that looks like that. I wish I had a customer spending $250k on a build too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ultimateforce posted:

You would never in a million years see anything come out of my shop that looks like that. I wish I had a customer spending $250k on a build too.

$250k you could easily contract the work out to someone else and still make a profit.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

$250k you could easily contract the work out to someone else and still make a profit.

They charged the dude $5,000 just for a mid-pipe not including labor.

:frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For $250k you could buy a real supercar