Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
This is also why knees to the head on the ground are banned: they look scary.

I do agree, though, that knees to the head on the ground should respect the back of the head rule. Also, risk of a broken neck is probably greater with knees to the side of the head. Maybe just the face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Trillest Parrot posted:

This is also why knees to the head on the ground are banned: they look scary.

I do agree, though, that knees to the head on the ground should respect the back of the head rule. Also, risk of a broken neck is probably greater with knees to the side of the head. Maybe just the face?

Pride had a few rules that existed to level the playing field for Jiu Jitsu guys and strikers against wrestlers to encourage fighters to keep things standing or to attack with submissions. Elbows to the head weren't allowed which forced fighters to posture up and throw punches, this space allowed for more movement from the bottom. The allowance of knees to the head of a downed opponent meant the guy on top had to manoeuvre around to get space to throw them to the head, or if a wrestler shot and was stuffed they were in a very vulnerable position preventing them from being able to stall in that position and keep looking for a takedown.

Adding knees to the head of a downed opponent isn't going to happen with the fox deal, its simply too brutal looking to be included.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Pride had a few rules that existed to level the playing field for Jiu Jitsu guys and strikers against wrestlers to encourage fighters to keep things standing or to attack with submissions.

PRIDE banning elbows had nothing to do with "level[ing] the playing field" or jiujitsu or wrestling; they banned elbows for the same reason they did in K-1: Because they lived and died by their TV deals and Japanese network execs don't like seeing blood in prime time. All this "it's better for SKILLED fighters and not *spit* wrestlers!" is ex post facto garbage from sad fucks still fighting PRIDE/UFC message board wars.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I like how people say PRIDE rules didn't favor wrestlers when they've never considered the implications of knees to the head on the ground. Just from our most recent UFC wrestling vs jiujitsu stinker, as awful as his striking is, Phil Davis would have just soccer kicked Magalhaes to oblivion in their fight if the unified rules didn't force him to follow Vinny down every time he got a takedown.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I like how people say PRIDE rules didn't favor wrestlers when they've never considered the implications of knees to the head on the ground. Just from our most recent UFC wrestling vs jiujitsu stinker, as awful as his striking is, Phil Davis would have just soccer kicked Magalhaes to oblivion in their fight if the unified rules didn't force him to follow Vinny down every time he got a takedown.

That Sakuraba's first fight with Wand coincided with PRIDE allowing four-point attacks is the greatest tragedy the island nation has ever suffered.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
It would be hard to bring back knees to the head of a downed opponent with that Gary Goodridge crucifix fight in the books.

But one thing that could be changed is the meaning of "down". Freestyle wrestling considers a competitor down when a hand is on the floor, but the hand not counting (the football version) might make more sense.

Plenty of nasty knees happen when no hands are on the ground during a shoot, but I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a fighter is flung or tripped so that he lands on one hand in position for a knee or kick flush on the head. The only time you really see someone touching one hand to the ground is when he's using the rule as a gimmick - instead of defending himself from a strong legged opponent who often has no idea that the hand is touching.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Phyzzle posted:

It would be hard to bring back knees to the head of a downed opponent with that Gary Goodridge crucifix fight in the books.

Goodridge/Herrerra didn't involve any knees at all, and in fact is 100% legal under today's rules.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Unfortunately, I dont see the no kicks to the head of a down opponent rule changing any time soon. There's a strong trend in North America sports to makes things safer for the athletes, driven in part by image concerns. MMA has an image problem to begin with, between the Culinary Union, overprotective parents, and concerned doctors, and any rule change that gives the appearance of making things more dangerous is going to have trouble getting through.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Phyzzle posted:

But one thing that could be changed is the meaning of "down". Freestyle wrestling considers a competitor down when a hand is on the floor, but the hand not counting (the football version) might make more sense.

Plenty of nasty knees happen when no hands are on the ground during a shoot, but I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a fighter is flung or tripped so that he lands on one hand in position for a knee or kick flush on the head. The only time you really see someone touching one hand to the ground is when he's using the rule as a gimmick - instead of defending himself from a strong legged opponent who often has no idea that the hand is touching.

misaki/akiyama

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I don't think anyone is trying to bring back knees to a downed opponent (correct me if I'm wrong), just looking to change the wording of the rules so that a hand touching the mat won't count as a downed opponent.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

david carmichael posted:

misaki/akiyama

Interesting. It looks like the kick was aimed at the head while fully down on one knee, then it landed with three points down. Hopefully, getting rid of hand on the mat = down would still strongly discourage anyone from trying that kick, because it risks landing a fraction of a second early resulting in DQ.

heeebrew posted:

just looking to change the wording of the rules so that a hand touching the mat won't count as a downed opponent.

It appears that the UFC is recently looking into changing it.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2013/04/29/marc-ratner-ufc-unified-rules-association-of-boxing-commisions/2122139/

And speaking of changes, I had no idea that the actual, official gloves were like this:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/28/4278826/ufc-159-results-cub-swanson-thinks-mma-gloves-are-crap

quote:

If you relax your hand, the way the gloves are now, the natural position is for the hand to be completely open, which is why so many people get poked in the eye. If they were curved, and you put them on and relaxed your hand, your hand would follow the curve, not completely open.... When you can't break them in, they're very uncomfortable. I had to put them on early and start hitting the pads early, the day of the fight, just so I could feel comfortable, and not have the circulation cut off in my fingers.

From comments: When ever I corner my buddy we take his gloves right after they are given out and fold them in half and put them under the chair legs to break them in.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
any rule which would discourage Misaki from breaking Akiyama's face apart again is a bad one

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

Interesting. It looks like the kick was aimed at the head while fully down on one knee, then it landed with three points down. Hopefully, getting rid of hand on the mat = down would still strongly discourage anyone from trying that kick, because it risks landing a fraction of a second early resulting in DQ.

It appears that the UFC is recently looking into changing it.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2013/04/29/marc-ratner-ufc-unified-rules-association-of-boxing-commisions/2122139/

And speaking of changes, I had no idea that the actual, official gloves were like this:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/28/4278826/ufc-159-results-cub-swanson-thinks-mma-gloves-are-crap

Swanson's points about the gloves were excellent I thought. It's a good idea to change the design rather than overhaul it. I think it would be a decent idea as he floated to give them access to the gloves before hand so long as they're commission checked before they make a walk and again before they go into the cage.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

FILA rule is 3 points of contact literally "three points of contact: two arms and one knee or two knees and one arm or the head".

For example, if someone has one hand on the floor but they're on their feet and their opponent puts them into a position of danger (say a front gut wrench from standing for the sake of example) it would be 3 points for a standing technique and not 2 points for a par terre technique.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

FILA rule is 3 points of contact literally "three points of contact: two arms and one knee or two knees and one arm or the head".

For example, if someone has one hand on the floor but they're on their feet and their opponent puts them into a position of danger (say a front gut wrench from standing for the sake of example) it would be 3 points for a standing technique and not 2 points for a par terre technique.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

I meant that a takedown doesn't require that the knees touch. But maybe that's just in collegiate wrestling and not Olympic freestyle.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

I meant that a takedown doesn't require that the knees touch. But maybe that's just in collegiate wrestling and not Olympic freestyle.

Under FILA rules, the 1 point standing technique is awarded when the three points of contact are made (as I copy pasted before) and the top wrestler is behind them.

FILA has beach wrestling too and I believe under those rules you are awarded a point for making their hand touch the ground.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Coleman/Vovchanchyn.gif

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

attackmole posted:

Coleman/Vovchanchyn.gif

I think the Goes fight is a better example since he nearly killed him

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I thought this info might be in the OP, but I didn't see it...

What general fighting or MMA podcasts should I listen to?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

M.C. McMic posted:

Rogan has MMA dudes on his podcast periodically and they're usually worth a listen.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Yuriy posted:

Rogan has MMA dudes on his podcast periodically and they're usually worth a listen.

Yeah, I've been listening to his podcast on and off, and I specifically download the ones with MMA fighters. The Enson Inoue podcast was great. The podcast with Georges St. Pierre was terrible, and was the deciding factor in changing my opinion from "Georges seems pretty cool," to "I hope he loses next time he fights (unless he's fighting Nick Diaz)." I realize English is not his first language, and I often hear about what a genuinely nice guy he is, but he just seemed like a complete idiot.

The Rogan podcasts with fighters seem pretty few and far between, though, when you look at the guests.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

M.C. McMic posted:

The Co-Main Event is better than most. Rogan can be decent when he has an MMA guest, but be prepared for hour-long digressions on aliens, bigfoot, or ayahuasca; Brian Redban, his co-host, is also completely worthless.

Edit: If you're looking for a really good Rogan podcast listen to the one with Victor Conte.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Ogantai posted:

The Co-Main Event is better than most. Rogan can be decent when he has an MMA guest, but be prepared for hour-long digressions on aliens, bigfoot, or ayahuasca; Brian Redban, his co-host, is also completely worthless.

Seconding the Co-Main Event.

Chad Dundas and Ben Fowlkes are both funny and informed, and kind of bicker like a married couple. It's tremendous.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Ogantai posted:

Edit: If you're looking for a really good Rogan podcast listen to the one with Victor Conte.

Sweet, thanks. I'll check them both out at work tomorrow. :)

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

M.C. McMic posted:

Yeah, I've been listening to his podcast on and off, and I specifically download the ones with MMA fighters. The Enson Inoue podcast was great. The podcast with Georges St. Pierre was terrible, and was the deciding factor in changing my opinion from "Georges seems pretty cool," to "I hope he loses next time he fights (unless he's fighting Nick Diaz)." I realize English is not his first language, and I often hear about what a genuinely nice guy he is, but he just seemed like a complete idiot.

The Rogan podcasts with fighters seem pretty few and far between, though, when you look at the guests.

Can I ask what made you think that about gsp? Was it the alien stuff?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Observer podcasts occasionally have MMA guests, and they do talk a lot about MMA but some people don't rate Meltzer as a MMA jurno so make of that as you may.

Also, if you plan on reading the Big John McCarthy book, don't listen to his podcast with the Observer guys he gives away almost every great story in the interview. :psyduck:

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Dangersim posted:

Can I ask what made you think that about gsp? Was it the alien stuff?

In a nutshell, yeah. I know a lot of people believe in alien abductions, bigfoot, ghosts, chupacabras, etc, but if it comes up the first time I hear someone say more than a couple of words, my first impression is going to be, "that person is stupid." It might be a little unfair on my part, but I don't see the difference between that and an adult believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny.

Also, I may have also been a bit disappointed with the fact that they didn't really talk all that much about fighting or the UFC at all, but that's really not GSP's fault. Rogan got a whiff of aliens and was off to the races.

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 16, 2013

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

M.C. McMic posted:

Also, I may have also been a bit disappointed with the fact that they didn't really talk all that much about fighting or the UFC at all, but that's really not GSP's fault. Rogan got a whiff of aliens and was off to the races.
Sorry if I'm piling on too much, but the Rogan podcast with Jimmy Smith (Bellator announcer) was largely MMA talk and quite good overall, IIRC.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Ogantai posted:

Sorry if I'm piling on too much, but the Rogan podcast with Jimmy Smith (Bellator announcer) was largely MMA talk and quite good overall, IIRC.

Nope, not piling on. I'm getting exactly what I was looking for. I'm honestly not very informed about the UFC or MMA or K-1 or any of those things if you hadn't already noticed. So, I know that I very likely scrolled past half a dozen names in Rogan's 200-some-odd podcasts without realizing they were related to professional fighting. I'm also going to check out the shows where he hosted Bas Rutten. I know I saw two or three of those.

edit: I should also say that I was largely exaggerating when I was talking about disliking GSP. I don't really feel very strongly about him one way or the other. My general impression of the Joe Rogan/GSP podcast, though, was, "ugh."

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 16, 2013

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Is this a good thing to buy (for :20bux:) if I am new to MMA? What else would be a good place to start?

e: Read the OP, will watch some of those.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2013

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Duck of Death posted:

Is this a good thing to buy (for :20bux:) if I am new to MMA? What else would be a good place to start?

It's a cool special, a lot of the guys featured are no longer active, some are, some aren;t, but yeah it's cool it features highlights and interviews rather than full fights, but it's still cool.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

This isn't the special, it's just the fights.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
According to the Amazon review, there is a lack of Frank Shamrock which makes it less than perfect.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

The Duck of Death posted:

Yes, buy that! But get it from Best Buy for $19.99 like I did. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Ultimat...20100&lp=1&cp=1

No idea where Amazon is getting that insane price.

(Whoops, just saw that you mentioned spending :20bux: in your post. I clicked the link you provided and saw it listed at $89.98. On a side note, does anyone else completely loving hate how shady Amazon has become with all the vendors that use them as a storefront? My wife, who is not as keen-eyed as I am, has been duped on multiple occasions into paying tons more than we ought to have to get something "from Amazon". What's especially frustrating is that if you search for a product, Amazon will often forgo its own listing in order to direct you to a third party. She once did a search for "Radio Flyer Scoot-About" and clicked the top result. Paid $70 with slow-as-gently caress shipping to some rear end in a top hat third party. Fulfilled by Amazon, though! When she told me about it I went and looked again and the link to buy it from Amazon themselves was buried several options down in the "more buying choices" list. And it would have cost us $35 with free two day shipping. Naturally, there was no way to cancel the order with the third party, either. Sorry for the derail... but that one's been eating at me for awhile. I don't claim to understand their business model but I really loving hate it. If the product is sitting in an Amazon warehouse, why the gently caress would they display a third party as the top vendor? The only reason I can think of is that they get a cut of the sale that ends up being bigger than their own margin, while still being able to claim that they themselves offer the lowest prices. Scummy. Sorry again for the insane derail.)

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 21, 2013

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Its ok but keep in mind is really not even close to the best 100 fights. There's a ton of stuff on there that has more to do with who the UFC was promoting at the time it came out than it does excitement

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Bundt Cake posted:

Its ok but keep in mind is really not even close to the best 100 fights. There's a ton of stuff on there that has more to do with who the UFC was promoting at the time it came out than it does excitement

Of course, the UFC had an agenda to push regarding "history" when it produced that show. But if you watch it with that in mind, and also aware that every year the sport/competition improves, it's a great value set. I got a ton out of it - gave up on the sport 15 years ago and only started getting back into it seriously about 18 months ago. Used that set to catch up with a lot of what had been going on and it shed a fair bit of light on the monthly threads here.

Edit: also, I thought the list was based on (or incorporated, at least) fan voting? So yeah, not every fight is action packed, and UFC omitted some great ones due to whatever axes they were grinding, but it's an incredible amount of material to help inform your perspective.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 21, 2013

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Of course, the UFC had an agenda to push regarding "history" when it produced that show. But if you watch it with that in mind, and also aware that every year the sport/competition improves, it's a great value set. I got a ton out of it - gave up on the sport 15 years ago and only started getting back into it seriously about 18 months ago. Used that set to catch up with a lot of what had been going on and it shed a fair bit of light on the monthly threads here.

Im not trying to discourage anyone from getting it but I think its worth pointing out that there a lot more exciting fights out there than say, Kenny Florian v Sean Sherk. It's a total shitfest, and if that really deserved to be in the top 100 I think they'd have to cancel the sport

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

-Atom- posted:

Seconding the Co-Main Event.

Chad Dundas and Ben Fowlkes are both funny and informed, and kind of bicker like a married couple. It's tremendous.

just got on this and knew I was sold when they were complaining about how stupid the average MMA fan is in their opening segment. We need to reach out to those guys and let them know that they are not alone.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I forget what's on that DVD but I think twenty bucks is worth Trigg/Hughes 2 alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Moe_Rahn posted:

Bas Rutten is the best part of the EA MMA game and I will fight* anyone who insists otherwise.

*curl up on the floor in the fetal position before a single blow is landed
Bob Sapp's in there too?!

Thermos H Christ posted:

That's the Joe Rogan version of events. According to Big John McCarthy it had to do with a doctor involved in the original NJ sanctioning discussions:

The story's pretty unclear, it kind of makes it sound like the doctor's actual concern was strikes to the back of the head/spine, and the rule mutated during discussions or was just really poorly written. To be fair, it's entirely possible that both stories are true. One doctor could have freaked out about those elbows to the back of the head and other people could have "agreed" that downward elbows were too dangerous based on seeing karate breaking.
Whenever the 12-6 elbow rule comes up, I think of Varelans vs. Worsham. That seems like the type of thing they were concerned about.