Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Me in Reverse posted:

You don't need any of that poo poo. Just a clarification. You want it.

Some of that is a joke but I agree the line is unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rudager posted:

The first rule of automobiles is that any vehicle, whether it's a car, truck or bike, is only ever as good as it's maintenance.

And people called me nuts :v:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
:siren:April Update:siren:

So, Anti-Automobile April was a horrible failure. We drove lots. The car was expensive. :(

Oh hey, my credit card debt is all gone. That's cool I guess.

We decided that we have enough credit that sacrificing 2050 bucks of cash reserves (currently about 13% of our March windfalls) for the psychological victory was worth it. Now we're on minimums and our only debt is a car loan and a student loan.

Clearly there were some windfalls.

Shopping is high because we got some stuff for the wedding and some protein that I ordered incorrectly and the refund didn't process in Mint until today. Bills is high because we had to pay out toeshoes' cell contract. We sold her iPhone for this in February, so it all balances out in the three-month view.

May will look strange because I should get my 977 dollars back when I complete my college certificate (Teaching and Training Adults), and we have no idea what out living situation will look like.

Progress?

The army has really got me down this week so I'm not as excited by our good fortune as I should be.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That red bar keeps shrinking, so progress. It doesn't look like the buy-nothing month had a big impact, though, according to the historical data.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chronojam posted:

That red bar keeps shrinking, so progress. It doesn't look like the buy-nothing month had a big impact, though, according to the historical data.

It's hard to tell, because the April expense line in the net income graph is reflecting a bunch of car registration and licensing fees, a ticket, and a bunch of other atypical expenses that are either being reimbursed or were saved for over the past four months. Really, the "buying stuff" categories of our budget are pretty minor in comparison to debt repayment, food, and car expenses so there's only so much that cutting discretionary poo poo will do.

I think it's mostly useful as an exercise in changing your habits. Giving myself arbitrary rules and then changing my behavior based on those rules seems to bring about some useful reflection for me.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hey Tuyop,

Graphs are cool.

Love,
~~~your biggest fan~~~

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

tuyop posted:

It's hard to tell, because the April expense line in the net income graph is reflecting a bunch of car registration and licensing fees, a ticket, and a bunch of other atypical expenses that are either being reimbursed or were saved for over the past four months. Really, the "buying stuff" categories of our budget are pretty minor in comparison to debt repayment, food, and car expenses so there's only so much that cutting discretionary poo poo will do.

I think it's mostly useful as an exercise in changing your habits. Giving myself arbitrary rules and then changing my behavior based on those rules seems to bring about some useful reflection for me.

That's actually pretty cool as long as you are healthy about your rules. Like, "Only make Italian food" is neat, "Eat dog food and beans" is not neat.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chronojam posted:

That's actually pretty cool as long as you are healthy about your rules. Like, "Only make Italian food" is neat, "Eat dog food and beans" is not neat.

I'm thinking about doing the 100 Thing Challenge this year. I always use my time hiking as an example of minimal living, because I lived for a couple of months with less than twenty pounds of stuff, including food. But even then I had more than twenty things, and those are definitely some of the happiest times I can remember. I think the simplicity of it helps, so owning 100 things in my whole life would probably be pretty nice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, we're getting married tomorrow too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tuyop posted:

'grats.

May your first child be a masculine frugal child.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

tuyop posted:

Congratulations! (I shall buy some basil in your honor.)

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Nether Postlude posted:

Congratulations! (I shall buy some basil in your honor.)

And I will smoke some "basil" in your honor as well, Tuyop. Congrats!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
CONGRATS TUYOP

IVE BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR LIFE FOR LIKE 3 YEARS OR SOMETHING I DUNNO

AND

YOU ARE PRETTY COOL

PLEASE POST PICTURES OF YOUR WEDDING I DUNNO

CHEER MAN
YOUR FRIEND,
BALOOGAN

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

CONGRATS TUYOP

IVE BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR LIFE FOR LIKE 3 YEARS OR SOMETHING I DUNNO

AND

YOU ARE PRETTY COOL

PLEASE POST PICTURES OF YOUR WEDDING I DUNNO

CHEER MAN
YOUR FRIEND,
BALOOGAN

I forgot my camera so there were no pictures. There wasn't a photographer either so I don't know who would have taken them.

It was just me and toeshoes, a couple of our best friends, and the officiant. We got all dressed up and afterwards went to our favourite local burger place (the fancy restaurant didn't answer my emails or voicemails trying to make a reservation since Monday :mad:). I'm very pleased.

Total cost: $415 including dinner.

And we still have to have the "real" wedding in August.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

tuyop posted:

Total cost: $415 including dinner.

And we still have to have the "real" wedding in August.

Just when you thought Tuyop was getting reasonable with his money, he goes and has two weddings.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah, you know what happened.

Spokes are bent, rear derailleur is bent, chain is bent. It's done.

So, if you're wondering. A $125 bicycle from 1986 lasts about one year, or 500-600 (edit: actually, daily mile says that it was 1080 last year) kilometers of madman cycling with a 60 dollar investment in new parts and stuff.

Now I need to get a new bicycle, and this is pretty lovely because I was going to use it tomorrow in case I had to bike to pick up car parts or whatever. I'm taking a vacation day to do my brakes and get the car inspected and registered and stuff.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 9, 2013

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

tuyop posted:

Yeah, you know what happened.

So, if you're wondering. A $125 bicycle from 1986 lasts about one year, or 500-600 (edit: actually, daily mile says that it was 1080 last year) kilometers of madman cycling with a 60 dollar investment in new parts and stuff.

Now I need to get a new bicycle, and this is pretty lovely because I was going to use it tomorrow in case I had to bike to pick up car parts or whatever. I'm taking a vacation day to do my brakes and get the car inspected and registered and stuff.

Have you considered that maybe you should just walk everywhere? It seems dangerous to you and everyone within about 100 miles of you to let you keep operating mechanical conveyances.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

cstine posted:

Have you considered that maybe you should just walk everywhere? It seems dangerous to you and everyone within about 100 miles of you to let you keep operating mechanical conveyances.

The good news is that he didn't decide years ago to be a Canadian Forces helicopter pilot, because he would surely be dead by now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the bicycle thread. What do you guys think of this bike?

http://bikeland.ca/product/opus-fidelio-105695-1.htm#reviews

It's beautiful. :swoon:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is far too expensive. Don't ask bike enthusiasts for bike advice when what you need is a basic inexpensive bike. Or at least, tell the bike enthusiasts what your budget is and then shop within that budget, instead of laying out some requirements and asking for the best bike that meets those requirements.

Also just buy a used bike. You have this techno-fetish and you can't afford to have techno-fetishes.

e. Let me put it this way: don't buy a bike that is so expensive that you need to insure it because you can't afford to have it get loving crushed in whatever retarded manner you managed to loving crush your old bike.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You trashed your bike "accidentally" didnt you?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ I literally just shifted gears and the whole thing became a greasy mess of bent gears and destruction! Toeshoes was right behind me and saw the whole thing.

Leperflesh posted:

It is far too expensive. Don't ask bike enthusiasts for bike advice when what you need is a basic inexpensive bike. Or at least, tell the bike enthusiasts what your budget is and then shop within that budget, instead of laying out some requirements and asking for the best bike that meets those requirements.

Also just buy a used bike. You have this techno-fetish and you can't afford to have techno-fetishes.

e. Let me put it this way: don't buy a bike that is so expensive that you need to insure it because you can't afford to have it get loving crushed in whatever retarded manner you managed to loving crush your old bike.

Well this seems to be the other alternative. But it's not nearly as pretty. :(

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-bikes-road-Men-s-Road-Bike-Bicycle-28-inch-wheels-12-speed-18-in-frame-T-W0QQAdIdZ482710235

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Well, when you're done with either of them they won't be nearly as pretty, so might as well save money up front!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tuyop posted:

/\/\ I literally just shifted gears and the whole thing became a greasy mess of bent gears and destruction! Toeshoes was right behind me and saw the whole thing.

Well this seems to be the other alternative. But it's not nearly as pretty. :(

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-bikes-road-Men-s-Road-Bike-Bicycle-28-inch-wheels-12-speed-18-in-frame-T-W0QQAdIdZ482710235

Yes, there are definitely only two bicycles on earth, and this pink one is the other one. Good job Tuyop.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

You don't need a new bike, strip all the other gears out rip the derailleurs off, get some cassette spacers and have a single speed free wheel.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Tuyop

mastershakeman posted:

You trashed your bike "accidentally" didnt you?

Tuyop, how exactly did you manage to strike the rear derailleur with enough force to completely destroy it without so much as scratching the paintwork on the frame?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ I mean seriously I was returning from walmart with a bunch of discounted tuna in a backpack and I shifted from third to fifth gear and the back wheel completely stopped and I almost lost it on the highway. I pulled over and we looked at it and I tried to get toeshoes to go home and bring the car with the camera so that I could document this moment for the goons, but she insisted that we just throw the chain and walk the 3k home.

The fact that toeshoes just got a nice modern brand name bicycle with real shifters from this century has nothing to do with it!

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, there are definitely only two bicycles on earth, and this pink one is the other one. Good job Tuyop.

Well there's this too! But I'm sure it's gone already :ohdear:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-bikes-road-Schwinn-Fastback-Like-New-W0QQAdIdZ482583768

Or this loving piece of poo poo that I will destroy in literally ten days.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-bikes-road-Super-cycle-Medalist-2-W0QQAdIdZ482423265

tuyop fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 10, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tuyop posted:

Um yeah I just glossed over it before, but this is dumb. It may be true that a new wheel, derailleur, and chain costs more than this bike was worth: but if they cost less than a new bike, then you should fix your current bike instead. It does not make sense to throw away the rest of the bike just to turn around and buy a new bike that costs way more than your repair cost.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
For next time:
http://mountainbike.about.com/od/basicbikemaintenance/f/Der_to_spokes.htm

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Just get a cheap bike from Canadian Tire, this time of year most of the bikes go 20%+ on sale. Also if you find the right person he might let you use his store discount(I use to do it all the time).

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Fraser CDN posted:

Just get a cheap bike from Canadian Tire, this time of year most of the bikes go 20%+ on sale. Also if you find the right person he might let you use his store discount(I use to do it all the time).

You actually ask employees if you can use their store discount?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I use to work at Canadian Tire and I would have people ask me all the time and most of the times id let them. I have friends who go to Canadian Tire and other stores who ask to use the employee's discount.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 10, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Have you considered a coaster bike instead of one with gears you change? Like, maybe if there's less on the bike to have a stroke about your eternal mechanical things murdering essence, it'll survive longer. :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it was just its time to die, guys. I also don't want to fix it because the parts (particularly the wheel) cost more than the bike is worth, and the bike doesn't loving fit me and I spend hours on it.

Fraser CDN posted:

A Canadian Tire bike is 499 and much worse than a 250 bike from kijiji.

DoctorTristan posted:

Tuyop, how exactly did you manage to strike the rear derailleur with enough force to completely destroy it without so much as scratching the paintwork on the frame?

Actually, you know what, this is what I was doing. And how I felt for a moment afterwards.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 10, 2013

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Might be worth borrowing a bike or getting a really cheap one so you don't have to move it to Edmonton. Those suckers take up space.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Might be worth borrowing a bike or getting a really cheap one so you don't have to move it to Edmonton. Those suckers take up space.

The military moves everything for you, it doesn't matter how large. I think there's an upper weight limit of like 2000 pounds per room but no volume AFAIK.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Are there any bike shops local to you? They might have something used for you. Otherwise if you're going to spend $$$ on a new bike, might as well do it at a local shop so you can try different bikes/fitments.

^^^^
Also, I would seriously consider not having the military move a shiny new bike you bought since they still have your stuff from however many years ago. Maybe suck it up with a super lovely bike until you move, then find a decent bike shop and splurge a bit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Alright, fine. I'm going to go take a look at this one today. Friction shifters. AGAIN. I am not happy.

It doesn't have pannier eyelets, but then again I can't afford a pannier rack so.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Chain looks rusty as poo poo.

I don't care if you buy a new bike, but I just don't think relying on the military's "hey we'll get it to you" shipment is a good idea with your track record. Do you have a bike rack for your car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

Actually, you know what, this is what I was doing. And how I felt for a moment afterwards.
This is how I picture you commuting to work each day. If you were in a car it would be a Grand Prix rally on the twisted freeways of post-apocalyptic Canadia. Since you bike, you can avoid the zombified crowds... so long as you don't get et by bears or assaulted by beavers or somehow smash the poo poo out of the entire backend of your bicycle using your really lame super power.

:ohdear: You're moving to a big city soon, right? You're gonna wreck up a subway!

Local bike shops are a really good idea. Being able to sit on the bike and have expert advice on the fit is invaluable. Best of all, if you've got a good shop they make repairs and maintenance cheap and easy. I'm lucky as hell to have a superstar shop here in town. Hopefully you've got one out where you live.

• Locked thread