Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

minimalist posted:

I dunno, this is a fairly impressive feat for someone of Eren's size and build, to be able to huck someone who weighs nearly as much such a distance, one-handed, while keeping a titan's mouth pried open. Maybe, like the titan transformation, he just needs the right focus.

Seems like just a textbook side effect of Eren's over abundant burning Shonen spirit to me. If everyone else just believed in the total annihilation of the Titans with just a tenth of his conviction they'd be able to do things like that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Eren doesn't have monster strength. If he did, maybe he wouldn't have lost fights so much. Mikasa seems to have some weird super strength, as shown by her breaking the knife and floor. But whatever is up with her is different from Eren's deal.

Of course it is. She's the only Japanese person in the story. :japan:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I hope they don't do the ~anime~ thing and make her some kind of genetically-engineered anti-titan fighting human weapon. That angle is so overplayed. AoT has been great about not being cliche, however, so I'm hopeful that that's not the case.

Oh my gosh, I loved this chapter's scene where Mikasa and Armin got their spirit back. Mikasa's look of pure determination... :swoon: Amazing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It would at least be interesting if she was meant to put down Eren in case he ever completely lost control.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

I hope they don't do the ~anime~ thing and make her some kind of genetically-engineered anti-titan fighting human weapon. That angle is so overplayed. AoT has been great about not being cliche, however, so I'm hopeful that that's not the case.

Oh my gosh, I loved this chapter's scene where Mikasa and Armin got their spirit back. Mikasa's look of pure determination... :swoon: Amazing.

Look at this loving panel:

It's like a wounded puppy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope the anime does well enough to come back and cover more of this. I want to see Armin and Mikasa eating those rations done with the intensity and pomp of Death Note's potato chip eating scene.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that was a hell of a chapter, and I really want the anime version to do so phenomenally well that it will eventually get to and pass this point.

And stop having time and staffing problems. :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vengarr posted:

Look at this loving panel:

It's like a wounded puppy.

Nonono! After the wounded-puppy eyes! The intense bread eating eyes!!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Is there a link for the English sub now?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

I couldn't help but think of this scene for intense eating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9W2NriVKXQ&t=116s

Also, Conny looking kinda like a badass in those panels he was in. I like it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Is there a link for the English sub now?

Chapter 45 on batoto

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DrSunshine posted:

There's a little Sasha in everyone.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Clearly they need to make Titan crackers so that Eren can actually kill a few without transforming. Kill them with even more burning shonen spirit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My guess is that all titans were human once, or vice-versa. Becoming feral/losing control/whatever means the body of the pilot gets absorbed into the titan flesh until it's just the meat that's the heart and brain of the titan. Ymir is much older than she looks and was turned into/became a titan, and got stuck that way. For whatever reason, she regained control and was able to transform back into a human.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I made a thing.

I'm sorry.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
Don't be, that's awesome. It's even funnier how he opened that wrapper so neatly with his hands still regenerating.

Anyways I was thinking and I remembered that Monkey titan was last seen climbing wall Rose after throwing the rocks at the tower. Wouldn't this mean that he's now in between wall Rose and wall Maria, where Eren and co. are? I sure hope he doesn't interrupt what Reiner and Bert have to say.

Actually, now that I think about it more, why is the Monkey titan moving away from the center of humanity? Perhaps he's returning from scouting/recon, or maybe he was born/created/transformed within the walls?

PowFu fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 11, 2013

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

PowFu posted:

Actually, now that I think about it more, why is the Monkey titan moving away from the center of humanity? Perhaps he's returning from scouting/recon, or maybe he was born/created/transformed within the walls?

Remember what he said after stealing the 3D gear module from that guy I don't remember the name of anymore? That it doesn't matter if that guy didn't explain what the 3D gear does so long as he "brings it back with him." That's probably what he's doing right now.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Whilst it does seem to be pretty clear that humans are transformed into titans, I think the transformation into standard titan must be fatal for the original person/destroy the original body.

3m class titans are far too small to have still have a person still in their necks, even if they had babies inside them there would be a noticable bulge which would be a dead giveaway.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

freelop posted:

Whilst it does seem to be pretty clear that humans are transformed into titans, I think the transformation into standard titan must be fatal for the original person/destroy the original body.

3m class titans are far too small to have still have a person still in their necks, even if they had babies inside them there would be a noticable bulge which would be a dead giveaway.
Hmm.
All of the titans looked like adults, right? Maybe baby titans don't lose their mind/body.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I just read through this after having the anime recommended to me and I love it. I know there's been a lot of speculation on where Bert and Reiner come from and on any other factions that might exist, either among the titans or away from the humans inside the wall, but has anyone posited that the outbreak of Titan pilots among the latest training squad might be related to how Eren's father cured the disease mentioned by Hannes near the start of the series? When Eren's titan form was first revealed literally my first through was "I wonder if this is related to whatever Eren's father did after the first Titan attack and if he experimented on any other children he "cured" in his time as a doctor."

I wanna know what the church knows and what's in that basement dammit :qq:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't really remember what Ymirs whole backstory is, but could there be a chance she was a wall Titan that escaped in the initial attack? Like a small one for the gate. I don't really have anything backing this up, bit I like the idea.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

All we know about Ymir so far is that one titan outside the walls asked the soldier if she was one of Ymir's people before losing control and eating her. Bert and Reiner's flashbacks show her or a similar titan eating their friend and they think they recognize her. We also know that she can read the stuff on the canned food when other people can't.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The anime is taking it's god drat sweet time.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr_Amazing posted:

I don't really remember what Ymirs whole backstory is, but could there be a chance she was a wall Titan that escaped in the initial attack? Like a small one for the gate. I don't really have anything backing this up, bit I like the idea.

Ymir's backstory is still an open question at this point. We know she ate one of Reiner and Bert's friends when they were young, and we know she joined the army after she heard about Christa, but apart from that I think we know nothing about her beyond the fact that she could read the labels on those tins of herring.

EDIT: What Argas said.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rei_ posted:

The anime is taking it's god drat sweet time.

I know, isn't it wonderful? :swoon:

Mikasa's backstory in the manga seemed really weird to me when I read it, but having that story take up such a huge chunk of this episode makes the way it connects to everything else much clearer. And yea, even though there were so many stills, it was really good TV.

Yes, we're not much farther in the story than we were since the last ep, but who cares when the episodes themselves are so good?

devtesla fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 12, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Gyges posted:

Seems like just a textbook side effect of Eren's over abundant burning Shonen spirit to me. If everyone else just believed in the total annihilation of the Titans with just a tenth of his conviction they'd be able to do things like that too.

The great thing about Eren is that it isn't just Shonen spirit that fuels him. It's hate. He's going to actually have to develop as a character to get back to just hating what the Titans represent the way he did before they breached the wall. It's probably better for his mental health that he's too straightforward a person to process the implications of the fact that he can transform into a Titan beyond "now I can kill Titans with my bare hands!"

Also, it's interesting that the latest chapter has Mikasa reflect on the fact that she hesitated to kill Reiner and Bertholt before they transformed. I kind of got the idea that she held back when I saw that bit, and it's nice to have it confirmed. Especially given how vicious the damage actually did to them was.

I was originally going to just reply that I want to see a mock-up of Evangelion with Eren in the role of Shinji. Which would miss the point of Evangelion entirely, but it would be hilarious and :black101:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 12, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
Quote is not edit!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hodgepodge posted:

The great thing about Eren is that it isn't just Shonen spirit that fuels him. It's hate. He's going to actually have to develop as a character to get back to just hating what the Titans represent the way he did before they breached the wall. It's probably better for his mental health that he's too straightforward a person to process the implications of the fact that he can transform into a Titan beyond "now I can kill Titans with my bare hands!"

To me, it's almost the logical result of possessing Shonen Spirit in a world like Shingeki no Kyojin. That optimistic, never gonna give up attitude is just crushed down by the weight of this world and turns from hope carbon into hate diamonds.

doritto
May 12, 2013

Does this manga make anyone else feel really at edge the entire time? Usually watching the anime I feel fine, but for some reason the manga makes me kind of nervous.

doritto fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 12, 2013

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I gotta say, Mikasa radiating electricity when she resolves to kill the last kidnapper looks pretty silly in the anime. And the scene after where Dr. Jäger offers for her to come live with them felt much more poignant than in the manga (maybe it's just that the manga was still getting it's bearing in terms of quality back then).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it was weird how, very soon after they had rescued Mikasa from slave traders who murdered her parents, Eren's dad is all happy face as he says "come live with us".

OR WAS IT??? :tinfoil:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I cannot wait to hear what ungodly noise comes out of Eren titan's mouth.

Edit: Something like this would be amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGPxZDG7B8E

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 12, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

RuBisCO posted:

I cannot wait to hear what ungodly noise comes out of Eren titan's mouth.

Since we're making Evangelion comparisons, I would hope it'd be something like the noise berserk Evas make, only even more pissed off. Something that's right on the edge of the sort of noise a human would make, only enormous and feral.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
They changed the scarred/branded clan symbol on Mikasa's wrist into embroidery! Anime original end confirmed!

^^^^I would like to hear how they do titan speech, if the anime ever reaches that point. When reading the manga I never knew how to sound out the distorted font.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orv9OJDUnWM

You don't even need special effects, there's a guy who's famous for doing this kind of thing and Japan probably has its equivalent.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You know, realizing that the first episode of the anime and the first chapter of the manga are called "To You, 2,000 Years in the Future" makes me wonder if this isn't going to wind up wrapping around to present day, somehow. Like this whole story is being told to warn us of whatever causes the titans, and there'll be some kind of time-travel bullshit in the last few chapters or something else completely ridiculous like that.

Or maybe Eren will wind up being Jesus.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

CodfishCartographer posted:

You know, realizing that the first episode of the anime and the first chapter of the manga are called "To You, 2,000 Years in the Future" makes me wonder if this isn't going to wind up wrapping around to present day, somehow.

Well, you should know. I assume by 2860 the manga had ended.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Or maybe Eren will wind up being Jesus.

He did die and then was resurrected.

AnonSpore posted:

Hannes is such a dead man. Seriously the only thing that could make him deader is if he commented that he was gonna retire in a week.

The only questions is whether he will die bravely and with dignity, or die while screaming and pleading and making GBS threads his pants.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 12, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
Japanese stuff does the "to the future of this fictional world" thing a lot. From the New World does it in the translated novel page. Final Fantasy Tactics also comes to mind.

JosephWongKS posted:

The only questions is whether he will die bravely and with dignity, or die while screaming and pleading and making GBS threads his pants.

Well, he will probably die facing down a Titan he could have ran away from. Possibly still making GBS threads his pants, but him deciding to face a Titan would wrap up his arc with when he was too afraid to face the Titan that killed Eren's mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

You know, realizing that the first episode of the anime and the first chapter of the manga are called "To You, 2,000 Years in the Future" makes me wonder if this isn't going to wind up wrapping around to present day, somehow.

There's a very weird oddball theory over in Japan that the whole thing is either a prophetic dream or a stable time loop because of that chapter title and how in the very first chapter Eren goes "Your hair's gotten longer, hasn't it, Mikasa?" and then later in the series she cuts it.

e: I hasten to emphasize that it's an oddball theory, nobody puts much weight on it. Still, it is a weird scene and title to have.