Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm about to start painting some Kroot to hang out with my Tau dudes, and I want them to be a kind of mottled sandy colour. The basing theme for the army is desert (Gorthor Brown > Agrax Earthshade > drybrushed Rakarth Flesh) and the general Tau colours are reddish brown.

As always, a scheme that would be easy to do is a bonus. I've seen people's Plaguebearers speed painted using lots of washes or something? I wonder if anyone who's done it might have some ideas for how to make it a bit yellower, sandier, and less gross looking.

Edit: Here's one of the guys they'll be hanging out with.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can paint using entirely washes over a base like white or grey. I tried it not so long ago. It certainly saves time, but you don't get the same depth of color as other techniques.

To make it cleaner you'll want to avoid pooling. Adding gloss varnish to your washes will help with that. I can't really speak about the colors though.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

What brands do you guys use for varnishing? I've read here to spray gloss varnish on first, since it's harder, then do matte varnish to kill the reflectiveness, but the one time I bought some varnish in the past I just wrecked some models. As I go through my Oath stuff I want to get it all nice and sealed (esp. since I'm going to use it on a tabletop) but I don't really know what to use

As an aside, spraying varnish all over my poo poo is going to dull out the washes I put on, right? I don't see why it wouldn't.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
I use diluted Vallejo Gloss Varnish (roughly 2 parts water, 1 part gloss). Paint this on with an old (clean) brush. Once you've covered the model, rinse the brush and go over the model again making sure the varnish is nicely spread out. Leave to dry for 24 hours. If you want extra protection, then repeat this process once more. (Two thin coats like this is much better than one thick coat - hence the diluting).
Then I use Army Painter Matt spray. This will add an extra layer of protection, but its main purpose is to kill the shine from the gloss. This is really easy to screw up - Don't do it in a humid area. It is vital that you do extremely short sprays - like less than half second. I mount the model on something for easing handling, and give it several very quick sprays from each direction. Let it dry for a few minutes and inspect it. The shine should be mostly dulled. If not, give it another series of quick bursts from each direction. If you over-do this bit, you'll end up giving the model a frosty appearance. This can sometimes be remedied by going back over it with another very thinned down layer of gloss like in the first step.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Under 15 posted:

What brands do you guys use for varnishing? I've read here to spray gloss varnish on first, since it's harder, then do matte varnish to kill the reflectiveness, but the one time I bought some varnish in the past I just wrecked some models. As I go through my Oath stuff I want to get it all nice and sealed (esp. since I'm going to use it on a tabletop) but I don't really know what to use

As an aside, spraying varnish all over my poo poo is going to dull out the washes I put on, right? I don't see why it wouldn't.

Gloss varnish will deepen your colors, matte will wash it out. That's just a factor of how we see light and color and varying brands will do it to varying degrees but you can't totally avoid it. Matte black will never be as pure deep black as gloss black, for instance.

I use Future floor polish for gloss and Liquitex Matte for matte, both through an airbrush. Before the airbrush I used Krylon Krystal Klear or somesuch for Gloss and good old Testor's Dullcote for matte.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Deanut Pancer posted:

If you over-do this bit, you'll end up giving the model a frosty appearance.

That's what happened. I still have the spray varnish from before, so maybe I'll give it a shot on something expendable, change up my technique, and see if that helps.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Under 15 posted:

That's what happened. I still have the spray varnish from before, so maybe I'll give it a shot on something expendable, change up my technique, and see if that helps.

In my experience frosty varnish can always be saved by going back over with a layer of gloss, and then matte again.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

JoshTheStampede posted:

In my experience frosty varnish can always be saved by going back over with a layer of gloss, and then matte again.

I've done this too, just make sure it's not too humid out and the can is well shaken.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I use testors dullcote and glosscoat diluted about 2:1 with water/alcohol/airbrush thinner. My final layer is gloss followed by dull (which I learned from goons on here). Here’s some other tips I learned about :

• Use gloss before you use oil washes
  • Use dull before you do edge highlights or use pigments
  • Mix gloss with washes to remove pooling
  • Mix dull with alcohol and pigments to seal pigments and preserve coloration
  • Clean either with white spirit

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TarDolphinorShark posted:

These were some Space Marines I got from Cyberlord XP that I converted into plague marines. I wanted to go for a look of freshly infected rotten guys instead of the alternate armor I see the stock Plagues sport.

PART O' THE CREW, PART O' THE SHIP

They look like they're covered in coral, and that's way cooler than generic plague crap. Run with it, make an entire army of ocean-themed marines.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Entire army of ocen-themed marines you saaay? Seen these?

The Mariners Blight by Eye of Error are awesome (though, I do think he overdoes it juuust a little on the corrosion).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Under 15 posted:

What brands do you guys use for varnishing?

Most everyone here will swear by Dullcote as the best matte varnish, and most folks will tell you to stay away from Citadel Purity Seal. I've seen magazine articles where pro modellers use Purity Seal, though, so it could just be confirmation bias and a variety of factors (humidity, one bad model, a bad batch, whatever) that keeps pretty much everyone from recommending Purity Seal. One of the guys in my group uses it and is happy with it.

airbrushing matte varnish info, might be helpful to someone:
I've just started trying out stuff other than Dullcote to use through my airbrush - I don't want to have to buy a few cans at a time, and I don't want to have to go outside to varnish my stuff (I paint in the loft, up 2 sets of steep stairs). I tried Vallejo Matte Varnish but it comes out REALLY dusty when it's dried. I tried a second time with the same product on the same models, making sure that it was WET when it hit, and it still dries to a haze. So I tried Vallejo Satin Varnish and that comes out pretty much like Dullcote! except there's no fumes, which is great. I've started spraying at about 15psi and thinning stuff quite a lot, even Minitaire, so the Vallejo varnishes I thin 1:1. If I had any matte medium left I would have tried that, as well, I'm sure that would come out pretty good.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Yup, I thought satin was supposed to leave a slightly glossy coat but vallejos stuff looks pretty flat to me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, heh, one thing about art supplies: when you're trying new stuff, you end up with lots of opened stuff that can't be returned and that will just collect dust until you give it to a new painter/player/kid who doesn't have any stuff of their own.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Crosspost from the Oath thread:

Commissar Kip posted:

:siren: WIP WIP WIP WIP :siren:

For the Detektuv’s Jurnal’ some WIP pictures of the M4A1 tanks I'm painting.

First it's time to get the resin model out of the packaging and check if they weren't hosed up during casting. poo poo appears to be looking fine

After assembly it's time to be super smart and first prime them with Army Painter black primer. Then to be even smarter I spray them with Tamiya TS28 Olive Drab 2.

I've already finished one tank to try out how I want them to look, I think I aced it first try.

To get this desired effect I went through the following steps:
1. Prime: Army Painter black primer
2. Base: Tamiya TS28 Olive Drab 2
3. Tracks: Vallejo Black
4. Hull layering: wet brush Vallejo Russian Uniform
5. Wood: Vallejo Mahogany Brown
6. Folded sheets: Vallejo Middlestone
7. Tank hulls don't need no drybrush, yo. So right on to glazing that hull with Vallejo Gloss Varnish
8. Pinwash that thing with AK interactive's AK 045 Enamel Wash: Dark Brown for Green Vehicles to get into the nooks and crannies.
9. Rain can be terrible for little tanks. So time to simulate some dripping with AK 024 Dark Streaking Grime.
10. Rust is a natural by product of rain so get some rust effects on here and there with AK 046 Enamel Wash: Light Rust for Green Vehicles.
11. But tanks drive through the mud cause they like to get dirty so first put some AK 017 Earth Effects on the tracks, lower sides and bottom front/back of the hull. When the enamel on the tracks and bottom is still wet get a brush full of MIG pigment P028 Europe Dust and let it fall where dust would build up. Then get a brush of P034 Russian Mud and get it all up in those tracks and the suspension. Lastly, to simulate fresh mud, mix some Vallejo Gloss Varnish with AK 023 Dark Mud Effect and P034 Russian Mud and get it there where mud would build up.

Only thing left to do is highlight the wooden tools, drybrush the wooden crate and the camo net that's sticking out and highlight+drybrush the folded sheets on the back. One down, four left to go.

WIP pics of my Shoanti Barbarian will be up when I'm done with half of these tiny tanks.

Comments, Reactions, Questions like "Why the hell did you go through so much detailing mud?"?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Entire army of ocen-themed marines you saaay? Seen these?

The Mariners Blight by Eye of Error are awesome (though, I do think he overdoes it juuust a little on the corrosion).

Those are cool and all, but I meant more like dudes with shark heads and crab claws, like the crew of the Flying Dutchman from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

New tablecloth for the living room. Girlfriend will be sooo happy...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

krushgroove posted:

Most everyone here will swear by Dullcote as the best matte varnish, and most folks will tell you to stay away from Citadel Purity Seal. I've seen magazine articles where pro modellers use Purity Seal, though, so it could just be confirmation bias and a variety of factors (humidity, one bad model, a bad batch, whatever) that keeps pretty much everyone from recommending Purity Seal. One of the guys in my group uses it and is happy with it.

Were those magazine articles in White Dwarf, by chance? :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

JoshTheStampede posted:

Were those magazine articles in White Dwarf, by chance? :v:

Ha - no actually, the UK Tamiya model magazine, which doesn't concentrate on military or planes or anything, it's a mix of different static model disciplines.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The forgeworld model masterclass books talk about using purity seal, ok fair enough they'd be understandably biased, but then they go on to use non-gw paints for things and I don't know who to believe any more :psyduck:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Hamshot posted:

The forgeworld model masterclass books talk about using purity seal, ok fair enough they'd be understandably biased, but then they go on to use non-gw paints for things and I don't know who to believe any more :psyduck:

They only say they use non-GW things where there isn't an equivalent. they sneak a few things in here and there, but GW want them to mention anything you can get in a GW store. In actuality they don't use alot of the things they have to say they do, and instead just name the closest GW thing. Much like the little masterclass painting book.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That's also why they sometimes list using like, mixes of 5 different paints. It's because they used some VMC color there's no exact match for so they mixed up as close as they could get for the book.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

JoshTheStampede posted:

That's also why they sometimes list using like, mixes of 5 different paints. It's because they used some VMC color there's no exact match for so they mixed up as close as they could get for the book.

I don't know if this was exactly the same reason, but I was so annoyed when I started out trying to paint Space Wolves as a newbie and their recommendation was to mix paint. Only two colors, but that's for the base color that's going to go over all the armor and poo poo, and why would you not just make the appropriate paint for the color that's all over one of your major armies :psyduck: Do any other codexes have this problem?

Of course I ended up just going with Codex Grey, which arguably looks better anyway. :getin:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's a set of paints made by Andrea Miniatures for painting black cloth (and another for white, etc). It comes with 5 different shades of black, and a set of instructions on how to make perfect black. Every step is a mix of two of these arbitrary shades of black. Why the gently caress wouldn't you just premix them in so the steps match the bottles instead of having step 1 be 1+2, step 2 be 2+3 and so on?

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Silhouette posted:

PART O' THE CREW, PART O' THE SHIP

They look like they're covered in coral, and that's way cooler than generic plague crap. Run with it, make an entire army of ocean-themed marines.

That is sort of what I was going for. Well not to a huge extent but barnacles and coral where my inspiration for the rot.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finished the first two models of a unit of Pink Horrors for my eventual Chaos Daemons army. Going to take a break from pink and get to work on my Skull Cannon of Khorne next.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Crossposting! For any of you in the Milton Keynes area Campaign 2013 is on tomorrow in the centre. It's not the biggest show but there's usually a decent variety of games and traders in attendance.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008
A WIP from my oath of 1/72 skeletons

The skeleton on the left is a sepia wash over white done by my 12 year old cousin. The one on the right is devlan mud over bone color with a light drybrush done by myself. I am ashamed to admit that frankly my little cousin's choice was better. Unfortunately I'm almost out of sepia. drat it all!

My goal is to paint the skeletons something like this 'tone'

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished the first two models of a unit of Pink Horrors for my eventual Chaos Daemons army. Going to take a break from pink and get to work on my Skull Cannon of Khorne next.

I really like these. I normally don't care for daemons but these look daemony with out looking gross, which I like. also the OSL is nice, not to over the top but still adds a lot.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
What is the general thoughts on Kings of War? I know the first impression is oh god a Warhammer rip off, but I have been reading up on it and I like a lot of the things they do. Fast play and way less fiddly for example, another thing that really striked me as neat is that the figures are not removed until the whole unit is wiped out. This means you can do mini dioramas, I really like this idea.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Kind of a crosspost as I finished the Plague Toads for this month's oath. I'm pretty happy with how the Nurgle portion of my Daemon army is coming along so far!

Now for some question content. I'm practising on Pink Horrors ready for next month's oath and decided to try my hand at OSL. Now, I've not really done it before, but I kind of understand the general principle and wanted to get some opinions/pointers on my first effort. I'm trying to keep it relatively vivid to match the paint scheme of the model itself.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Them's some good toads.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

I tried out sepia wash instead of devlan mud and it looks nice and cartoony, in line with my current crop of fantasy 1/72s.

A comparison shot:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I have been fiddling with these guys a little too long and I think I have lost my objectivity.

Are these any good? I am making a Redemptionist Gang, but I don't know if these models really sell the feel of that gang. It may be in part to the fact that I am trying to make them also function as Cawdor (hence the Heavy with the bolter); what do you think?

JUVES

DEVOTEES

CRUSADERS

DEACONS

ZEALOTS

PRIESTS

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HardCoil posted:

New tablecloth for the living room. Girlfriend will be sooo happy...

splash some dayglo orange paint on that. Instant lava fields. Im sure she wont mind

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That Pink Horror has an awesome basecoat.

I've taken a break for painting for a while, but ordered some Serenity lookalike stuff from Ground Zero Games since my friends are getting into Full thrust. Did the Serenity and three bases to represent fighter squads. Was a lot of fun to paint and get back into the groove again, since I have about 2000 points of Elves I need to finish.

Not pictured: 15mm Firefly crew. Never painted at the 15mm scale before, this should be fun.

A question for the painters: How do you get over the annoyance of painting 50 dudes the same? I tried getting an assembly line set up, and painting the 50th red shield in a row is really getting to me -- it's what had me stop painting originally.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Verdugo posted:

A question for the painters: How do you get over the annoyance of painting 50 dudes the same? I tried getting an assembly line set up, and painting the 50th red shield in a row is really getting to me -- it's what had me stop painting originally.

The short answer is you don't. It's annoying, that's just how it goes. So instead you break it up into more manageable parts. I find my sweet spot is seven models at a time, particularly if I've got a chunk of them that are the same pose/details. Bang out all of them that are exactly the same and then move onto the next set that are just slightly different, rinse and repeat.

Also, just make the painting activity the background to whatever you're more interested in, watching a movie or something or listening to music or podcasts or whatever.

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

Verdugo posted:

I'm not a very good painting, but I find ten to be the optimal number for assembly painting. Any more than that and I get bored. Less than that, and it's not as efficient. With ten models I'm never stuck on one part for too long.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Never, ever, paint without something in the background to engage your brain. Commentaries, radio shows, TV programmes/films you've already seen but like enough to listen to again, podcasts. Painting with the right background noise is a zen-like relaxation technique, painting without it is a tedious chore. At least for me.

As to assembly lines, try not to go for 70 at a time, that gets old quite quickly. Especially when you realise you just did the largest area on all of them in the wrong colour.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ooh I'm glad we're on this topic - I listen to commentaries, podcasts, battle reports, and last night I started with stand-up comedy specials on youtube. Helped SO much when it came to painting the vein bits on the Heldrake! I also have a ton of Watch Later videos saved in my youtube account, those autoplay one after another, so if you're more into documentaries or lectures or talks or whatever just find them on youtube or hulu and save them to a playlist and you're golden.

You can also set up a Google + hangout or use Skype to virtually paint with a buddy, show off what you're working on, talk tactics and painting techniques, etc. I did that earlier this week for the first time.

• Locked thread