Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah they should have stuck with the Thebeans, but I guess they don't have the "Brand Recognition" as the Spartans do to modern audiences. Though weren't the Thebeans destroyed anyway by the time this game starts?

Alexander sacked Thebes for getting to uppity, and never bothered to head down to Sparta. Thebes never recovered. Sparta hung around and made a coalition with Athens to fight the Macedonians as a part of the general slap fight there, before the Romans rolled up and cold-cocked them all.

Has anybody made a patchwork map from all the previews yet? I think I remember it from a while back, but I can't find it or anything, can somebody confirm/deny so I know I'm not crazy?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Has anybody made a patchwork map from all the previews yet? I think I remember it from a while back, but I can't find it or anything, can somebody confirm/deny so I know I'm not crazy?

Page 84:

Krazyface posted:

Perspective? Scale? Photoshop? What the gently caress are those? Anyway I stitched together the preliminary maps for Rome II:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't really care to know the name of all those countries since I've always found all of the countries in TW games to be nameless little sponges of wealth when I get my war machine crankin'. Loot them all and set taxes really low so you get tons of growth and skip having to pay for militias for garrison happiness.

The soldiers are paid in loot, not in taxes!

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

You can see parts of the map in the collectors edition image.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The whole Arabian Peninsula? That looks like fun, especially for the navies in that part of the world.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheizerbrick posted:

You can see parts of the map in the collectors edition image.

Doesn't "Imperium potestas est" mean "Empire is power"? What a weird expression.

And if that is the real map then more proof they learned from the mods of Rome I. Let's hope for the best.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Mans posted:

Doesn't "Imperium potestas est" mean "Empire is power"? What a weird expression.

And if that is the real map then more proof they learned from the mods of Rome I. Let's hope for the best.

Imperium can also mean might or authority. from imperare, to command. So it could mean something like might is power. It's not an actual Latin expression but it is actual Latin.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Imperium is also the specific term for the power of military command which you get as consul etc. If I was going to be loose with my translation, 'I have a bloody great army. They listen to me, so you drat well better perk up your ears too'.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 10, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
If you are preordering the game, this voucher GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9 will give you 25 % off on Greenmangaming.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hmm Greenman with that voucher code comes to £33.75, but Amazon is £29.99. Do you get the pre-order DLC with Amazon?

Can you add an Amazon sale to steam?

Edit: VV

Tried on greenman (presumably UK) and it worked fine

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 10, 2013

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Lord Tywin posted:

If you are preordering the game, this voucher GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9 will give you 25 % off on Greenmangaming.

Does this code work for outside of the U.S purchases of the game?

Would we be able to avail of Steamworks mods if we purchased the game from GMG?

I'm aware that GMG games can be added to Steam having purchased XCOM from GMG previously.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 10, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Khagan posted:

Yep, I live in Sweden and my purchase went through fine.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Khagan posted:

Would we be able to avail of Steamworks mods if we purchased the game from GMG?

I'm aware that GMG games can be added to Steam having purchased XCOM from GMG previously.

Yup and yup. GMG will send you a steam code which you input into Steam, and from there it's exactly the same as if you'd bought it from Steam itself.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

History question. Why didn't Mediterranean civilizations explore the coast of Africa? No profit in it? No adventurous naval spirit in the Hellenistic world? There was a time where Roman traders risked the Indian Ocean in Greek style galleys to get at that particular subcontinent, so I wonder why they didn't just hug the coast until the Cape of Good Hope, since their ships were so shallow bottomed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Aurubin posted:

History question. Why didn't Mediterranean civilizations explore the coast of Africa? No profit in it? No adventurous naval spirit in the Hellenistic world? There was a time where Roman traders risked the Indian Ocean in Greek style galleys to get at that particular subcontinent, so I wonder why they didn't just hug the coast until the Cape of Good Hope, since their ships were so shallow bottomed.

I don't actually know this for a fact, but I presume it's because firstly, galleys do badly in the Atlantic, and secondly, galleys need constant resupply and watering due to having all those oarsmen on board (near-daily need for resupply, I think) - finding a stable chain of supply ports all the way across Africa and across the different seas there at the time was probably beyond the resources of the Roman state, and even if they could pull it off the costs of constantly finding that much food and water was likely prohibitively expensive for any merchants making the trip. India, on the other hand, was a known and stable supply of rare goods as well as a decent market in its own right.

Also, I presume you mean West Africa and so on? North Africa was pretty extensively developed during these times.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aurubin posted:

A discussion of this exact topic begins in the Roman History thread Here.

In short, they did, but we do not know how far exactly. There are stories of a circumnavigation, and we know the Carthaginians went way down the west coast.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Somehow, I missed the fact that the three Greeks have been added to the factions page, with some information and screenshots that weren't in the other announcements. I'll probably end up doing a second version of that map sometime.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Was slavery as a mechanic confirmed yet? Cause that Sparta page confirms they get a bonus to it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Somehow, I missed the fact that the three Greeks have been added to the factions page, with some information and screenshots that weren't in the other announcements. I'll probably end up doing a second version of that map sometime.

Tee hee, those Athenians are wearing linothorax. I know people would feel more protected back then, especially since they were matched against bronze weapons, but from a 2013 viewpoint, going into melee essentially wearing a really thick shirt is humorous.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mans posted:

Modders will expand the map all the way to China or Japan because CA something something antiquity is overrated something something I want to conquer Rome as Han China.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Have they yet mentioned any modding news with Rome 2?

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Someone has also made this map, I don't know how accurate it is though

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think I like this map.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sober posted:

Modders will expand the map all the way to China or Japan because CA something something antiquity is overrated something something I want to conquer Rome as Han China.

I doubt it, no one has been able to mod the world map since the last engine change from Rome1 & Med 2 -> Empire.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Ireland and Scotland are still nagging at me. Was it that hard to make it Hibernia et Caledonia and have the names over the places they're actually referring to?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I wonder how far north the map will go, i'm still hoping for another amazon tribe to be hiding somewhere. I also like how Africa looks less like desolate wasteland that I have to litter with watch towers/waste 10 turns playing find the city in the middle of the Sahara Desert.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Odobenidae posted:

I wonder how far north the map will go, i'm still hoping for another amazon tribe to be hiding somewhere. I also like how Africa looks less like desolate wasteland that I have to litter with watch towers/waste 10 turns playing find the city in the middle of the Sahara Desert.

The worst part of ME2:TW was destroying everything in the entire world and ruling it all, and then combing the desert for a 200 florin/turn 2000 population town for like 40 loving turns.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Tried to play Shogun 2 tonight because of all the Rome hype and wanting to kick rear end with an entire army again.

In the multiplayer Battle List, it says literally EVERYONE is using a different game version than I.

I tried verifying my game files. What the hell is wrong?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A discussion of this exact topic begins in the Roman History thread Here.

In short, they did, but we do not know how far exactly. There are stories of a circumnavigation, and we know the Carthaginians went way down the west coast.

We talked about it more earlier too. Roman traders went down the east coast to around Zanzibar, at least. There doesn't appear to have been much going on along the west coast.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a massive difference between traveling in the Pacific ocean and the Atlantic ocean. While you can go down the Western coast with ease it's hell to come back up, with the lack of knowledge about the tricky waters, the wind direction and points of reference being hell on any sailor. While sporadic explorations on the west coast might've been possible they were never intentional or planned trips, that only started in the 15th century with Portugal.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

The worst part of ME2:TW was destroying everything in the entire world and ruling it all, and then combing the desert for a 200 florin/turn 2000 population town for like 40 loving turns.

All the Africa towns are on the coast. The only one in the deep desert is Timbuktu, and if you don't have its position memorized, well... :chord:

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Yeah, but after you finally find it, you'll never forget where that fucker is again.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Alexander sacked Thebes for getting to uppity, and never bothered to head down to Sparta. Thebes never recovered. Sparta hung around and made a coalition with Athens to fight the Macedonians as a part of the general slap fight there, before the Romans rolled up and cold-cocked them all.

Sacked is not strong enough. The city was destroyed by Alexander after a revolt and all inhabitants, except priests and some prominent pro-Macedonians were enslaved. A few years before their most famous military unit had been eliminated to a man at the Battle of Chaeronea, though that was only 300 men. Revolt or no, I don't think Thebes could have survived Alexander as he had a nasty habit of making brutal examples of Greeks who had a history of co-operating with the Persians, something the Thebans had done (and supposedly still were quite intent on doing). Especially nasty was an episode where he and his army encountered a settlement of Greeks somewhere in northeastern Iran (probably descended from someone forcibly resettled after being conquered or after some revolt) who feasted him and gave supplies to his army, after which Alexander proceeded to kill all the men and enslave the women and children, as reward for what he viewed as treachery.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 11, 2013

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Another news tidbit I had overlooked on the official forums:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/66714-TW-FORUM-EXCLUSIVE!-Q-amp-A-Session-with-CA?s=721f5791ad0aba869a167ef3f09a7b62

It's a Q&A with the devs and has some interesting campaign map details.

quote:

How far east does the Campaign Map go?

Quite far! More to come on that soon, we hope J
Will there be Mini-Campaigns beside the Grand Campaign like in Napoleon Total War?

We’re focusing on delivering a single, epic campaign – so all of our energy is going into that right now. It’s something that’ll consume hours of your life – it’s all about the core Total War experience. I wouldn’t rule out mini-campaigns in the future, but it would depend on what people want. Right now people tell us they want big Total War experiences.

We heard that each playable Faction will have their own unique Tech Tree based on their culture. Could you please tell us more about these Tech Trees?

Yeah, like you said, each culture will have its own Tech Tree variant. We’re keen for a faction in Rome II to mean something significant, so each faction will play differently – they’ll fight differently, they’ll have different personalities and they’ll also have a different technological approach on the campaign map. It’s all about adding variety and building replayability into the game.
Which famous historical characters will have the ability to appear in the game as Generals, Agents, or as other NPCS?

There will be a few, let’s put it that way! We always try to get big figures from history into our games in some way – they help set the scene, and it’s always cool when you rout one of them and rewrite history.
What improvements are being made to diplomacy?

Bigger, better and more in-depth. We’ll reveal more on this soon – keep your eyes peeled.

Will multi-core programming be properly implemented?

We’ve been building on the engine since Empire’s release, and every iteration in the series brings with it a host of optimization improvements. We’re getting to the stage of development where we’re really digging into those fundamentals now – keep an eye out for the min and recommended specs closer to release.
There supposedly is three stances that armies can be put into that give various effects. Could you elaborate more on these effects? Also we know that Each Stance affects the armies ability to move on the campaign map? Do armies move farther than in previous Total War games with the turns being equivalent to one year?

Armies and fleets, at the outset, will not be moving ridiculously far. As settlements and their interconnecting roads develop, and technologies and skills which facilitate movement and logistics are invested in, this base movement range will increase.

Furthermore, armies and fleets can be put into either the “Forced March” (armies) or “Double Time” (fleets) stances, which doubles their movement range but at cost of not being able to initiate battles (reinforcement is still possible), being more vulnerable to ambushes, and with some morale debuffs in the event that they are attacked.

In addition to Forced March, armies can attempt to lay an ambush/surprise attack on any piece of navigable terrain via the “Ambush” stance. The success of an ambush attack depends on the nature of the terrain in which an attempt is being made (ambushing in open terrain is obviously more difficult than in an alpine forest) and on any skills and traditions in play on that army.

Both armies and fleets can raid, which halves their movement range but also halves their upkeep as they forage and secures a little extra funds from nearby trade routes and settlements, albeit with diplomatic penalties with the local region’s owner or – if raiding within one’s own territory – public order penalties.

Finally, armies can fortify and fleets can patrol, greatly extending their reinforcement ranges and granting them a number of defensive bonuses. For armies, this also includes providing a number of defensive deployables which may otherwise only be available to forces or commanders which have invested in certain skills, and in the case of Rome this provides the fortified army with a small encampment to defend.
Will the replenishment system will be like NTW/TWS2 or will it be like ETW?

Nap/S2. Fleets can replenish on see, as armies on land. The amount based on the ownership of the sea region. When it’s contested you can replenish only in your ports.

There are three families for a couple factions. What are the inter faction dynamics like for other factions?

Player ‘family’, ie the ruling power and their supporters (the king, chief, etc.) vs. the rest, ie the council, the court, other nobles and people of ambition.

Note that Rome and Carthage also have a ‘senate’ party in addition to the families.

While in Rome or Carthage the struggle is between families for the leadership (and to establish a monarchic state), for other factions the goal is to maintain the authority and control over the faction. If you stop being the most powerful others will challenge your family and eventually usurp in a civil war to replace you as high king, chieftain, etc.

How does enslaving a population work?

Following battles, you have the choice of enslaving captives. Following settlement battles, depending on whether you occupy peacefully, loot, raze, etc. you will also enslave a portion of the captives and populace.

These slaves are distributed throughout your faction, increasing the number of slaves in every province you hold and therefore improving the economy, but also increasing slave unrest which – if left unchecked – may lead to servile uprisings. There is an optimal level of slaves where the economic benefit is the highest and the public order cost is still relatively easy to cope with.

Slaves diminish over time, so enslaving captives is essential if the economy is to run optimally. Note that although a populace may be enslaved following conquest, there is no explicit concept of population this time around.

Are taxes set per Provence or on Empire level?

Faction-level. As ever, the player may exempt provinces from tax, and once an entire province is owned the player can issue a tax/tribute farming edict which will increase the amount of tax income received as long as it is in play, albeit while reducing local public order.
Is Plunder when a town/city is conquered done automatically or can you assign levels of despoiling?
You can loot, as in Napoleon and S2, but you can additionally raze a settlement, quickly doing away with buildings in preparation for your reconstruction.

Barbarians can additionally sack a settlement, which is effectively loot and move on, meaning that they needn’t burden themselves with governing troublesome regions when all they are after is wealth and glory.

"Optimal slave economy" is not something I ever expected to see in a TW game.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Man I just want to see one screenshot of the campaign. :negative:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Finally we get some info on the actual campaign. I am also finally somewhat excited.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Slaves diminish over time, so enslaving captives is essential if the economy is to run optimally. Note that although a populace may be enslaved following conquest, there is no explicit concept of population this time around.

That's interesting. I presume that means we'll get a nice and simple 'slave population' bar that fills up as you get slaves and slowly depletes over time and you get different production/public order effects across the board. Kind of link how taxes work now except you won't be able to change them on the fly.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Everything about that sounds pretty awesome, and the army stances alone sounds like they will add miles to the strategy of the campaign.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Everything about that sounds pretty awesome, and the army stances alone sounds like they will add miles to the strategy of the campaign.

I actually doubt that. We've had ambushes, control zones and fortifying since Rome and there's been a couple of iterations on them up to Shogun 2 - they can't alter the main problem that there's no reason whatsoever to care about an enemy army in the field when you can march up to a city/castle and take it by storm immediately for no risk.

Unless supply lines become A Thing, or there's a rule that says you can't assault a city while there's an enemy army looming somewhere in the province, there's no real space in the game for exotic rules on army movement to be meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Alchenar posted:

Unless supply lines become A Thing, or there's a rule that says you can't assault a city while there's an enemy army looming somewhere in the province, there's no real space in the game for exotic rules on army movement to be meaningful.

Really? I mean the fact of finally being able to get an army rushed up to a nearby province to man it's defences isn't something you've ever wanted to do in any previous TW? What about not knowing if your going to get ambushed when walking straight across enemy territory, even in full view of the road?