Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Signed into law as of 6PM CST today :911:

Getting ready to fire a massive amazon order into the abyss.

I feel like this is a golden business opportunity if you live in a big enough city.

open a brew shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I feel like this is a golden business opportunity if you live in a big enough city.

open a brew shop.

See, here is the bizarre part. We have several here. They just randomly get raided by the ABC board and their wares seized. Even though it has been a felony, it's been enforced in such a ticky-tack nonconsistent way that if you didn't know it was a felony you could easily assume it was fine to do so.

I did let my brew shop know about the governor's signing like 2 hours after it happened, which was a funny moment lol.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In London, feeling good. Some notes since we last spoke:

The Trossachs are fantastic and my family is odd. Best seafood of my life in Oban. Girvan is bleak as hell and I have a funny story to tell about the pub (the only pub) in Ballantrae. Had a nice night in Sutton Coldfield at a little resort place with some fantastic local venison. Just had our first supper in London and am enjoying it here. Some food thoughts: The UK has really wonderful cured meats. Not Spanish level obviously, but a lot better than the US. The availability of good fish all over the place is awesome, but I'm sad that I can't get good kippers at home that aren't canned - I won't be able to stand kippers anymore if they're canned. The tea here is good, but the coffee is universally terrible - even places serving Illy espresso screw it up. The United States needs more take away curry/kebab/doner shops (that is, we need some at all). The British also have the handle on the whole "let's actually let people take time at their meal and not just hope customers snarf everything into their mouths as quickly as possible so we can turn over tables" thing, which is really nice. If I eat one more full English breakfast in the next 6 months I will probably die. I have gained weight on this trip because of those things.

More food adventures tomorrow. Right now I'm going to head down to the hotel bar because they have the good sense to carry Fernet.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Glad you're feeling better, man.

If you fancy gaining even more weight, head over to Cask in Pimlico. They've got a shocking array of beers and the only good burger I experienced in London.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
But what about the ale wiggles, what about the ale?
Glad you're feeling better.

I know what you mean about the souvlaki/gyros/kebabs. It's the late night food for Europe and strangely enough Australia.
You guys have Tex-Mex for that role, and down here we would probably have only 3 Tex-Mex restaurants/take aways in the whole city (pop 1M).
We just went the kebab route like Europe, they are any place where there's late night eating, as well as heaps of Indian restaurants serving UK type curry foods.
Seems any place can't have both them and Tex-Mex, then again I'm fine with that as Tex-Mex easier to make at home, and I just go out for souvlaki/gyros/kebabs.
On the other hand, you guys get Banh Mi, and while a lot of Vietnamese down here have a business baking or running delicatessens, not many of them do Banh Mi, none around where I live.
As far as coffee, I've never heard of Illy, was it chain coffee shops you went to? Maybe they don't drink much coffee there so it's stale, maybe if it's a chain shop they employ teens that don't know what they're doing/buried under the managers way to do things? I'm suprised after I googled Illy, it's a thing down here with it's own .au domain.
But no, haven't heard of it and certainly not going to try it. The best coffee comes from a little independent cafe with it's own roaster down the road, big brand coffee names usually suck.
Even at home I buy local names like '5 senses' and "fiori' which are both in Perth and I try find a pack on the shelf with a 'roasted on' date of 2-3 weeks ago (none of this 'best before' date the big name brands put on their packs, which is at least a year from when roasted).

As far as "let's actually let people take time at their meal and not just hope customers snarf everything into their mouths as quickly as possible so we can turn over tables", put simply, the servers aren't tipped, they are paid hourly so don't care whether they seat 8 tables or 3 for the whole night.
Edit: there's pluses and minuses either way to the customer, and the server/restaurant, so forget I said that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 10, 2013

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Fo3 posted:

As far as "let's actually let people take time at their meal and not just hope customers snarf everything into their mouths as quickly as possible so we can turn over tables", put simply, the servers aren't tipped, they are paid hourly so don't care whether they seat 8 tables or 3 for the whole night.
Edit: there's pluses and minuses either way to the customer, and the server/restaurant, so forget I said that.

I'm suddenly reminded of a time in Frankfurt when I watched a waitress lay down the law on a customer for using foul language while complaining about the food. It was awesome.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Best seafood of my life in Oban.
My father's family is from Skye which is a mere 150 miles north from Oban. The Highlands are breathtaking really hope you had the chance to drink it all in ;) I have extremely fond memories of walking the shore hunting for crabs from my childhood.

The seafood really is phenomenal. I worked at Gleneagles for a short stint and one of our best dishes was the lagoustines.
The US definitely needs to import the Curry/Doner stuff, as terribly unhealthy it can be it'd mesh in jussst right with the Heart Attack Grill culture of today.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
News flash! Wiggles has odd relatives.

I'm glad you are enjoying the food. I think there is pretty good eatin' here, and in the 12 years or so that I've been here there has definitely been a resurgence in food culture and an awareness of traditional foods, techniques and ingredients.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I think that's interesting about the coffee, Wiggles. I find that coffee-shop coffee in UK cities is generally better than the US (took me a couple of days to find something good in Manhattan, in the days before iPhones) but it's certainly true that restaurant coffee here is often stunningly poor. It's silly, really, given the margins on it. I've also never had Illy coffee that didn't suck!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
In my experience both UK and US coffee is pretty loving horrible on average.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
"I never thought I'd say this, but would you like to go to prom with me?"

So a few weeks ago, Puppy asked me out to his school's prom.

Neither he nor I went to prom in high school. He, because he was a hopeless nerd. I, because $75 for just the ticket alone was not about to happen, when my mum would spend that much money on two weeks worth of groceries for her family of six, and every rando stranger that my dad chatted up and invited round for dinner. Yeah, no. Also, the guy I'd have wanted to go with at the time was not only hetero, he was also seeing as girl at the time, which meant that I didn't bloody exist. Granted, I did exist when the bastard showed up at my window at 3:00 in the morning in tears, because said girl he was seeing was a heinous oval office. But that's neither here nor there.

Anyrate. When Puppy asked me, I kind of looked at him oddly. He was asking me to go to his seminary, and meet all his classmates and all the rest. Also, it's on a Friday night, which means that I'd need to haul rear end out of work at a reasonable hour unless I sincerely hate myself. He looked so goddamned earnest, with those big brown eyes of his and that stupid goofy grin that he has that makes me melt every time. I said yes, obviously. He's Puppy. He gets whatever he wants because he really is the best thing that happened to me.

I managed to get to work early, bang out all the specials, use up all the veg that we had, and still got the menu printed off to go live on the floor. The attached photo shows a picture of this Burmese type soup that I made for dinner service. It's got daikon and yucca. I have no clue where the gently caress either of them came from, because they're not on the loving order list. I'm betting money that the yucca came because boss wanted to use them for something, then promptly forgot that he ordered the loving things, leaving me to figure out what the christ to do with it so that it doesn't go off. Whatever. It's yucca, not some kind of slimy thing.

Either way. Got home, got changed out of work clothes, took a shower, got some cologne on, had a beer, had a few cigarettes, and relaxed for a bit. Of late, I've been this old grandma, and hate going out. If I can't get home by like 11 PM, I want nothing to do with it. I'm happy to have company, but I tend to schedule things really early. Like noon early. This thing was starting at 8 PM. I went, expecting to be relegated to the corner of the room, while Puppy talked shop with boring people about things I don't really care about.

Fortunately, he goes to Union Theological Seminary. Well over half the school is GLBT. They have a pub night every Thursday. Their professors are revolutionaries of various sorts. Also, nobody looks askance at a bit of inappropriate humour. In a really low moment years ago, I asked Puppy why he loves me. One of the first things out of his mouth was "You make friends wherever you go." Last night, I saw what he meant. It was like everyone I met was the most interesting person ever. Whether it was the bartender whose partner's name rhymes with his (Steve and Eve; yes, they're hetero, but they were both adorable), the guy from Staten Island who was bitching about the $16 (!) toll for the Verrazano Bridge, the two ladies who had bought matching dresses even though they hadn't planned on it (but the matching corsages they bought each other did match), the lovely couple from Patterson NJ who brought their fag hag along (who I swear to god reminds me of Bette Middler from The First Wives Club [which both Puppy and I saw in the cinema twice with our mums])to the lovely lady who looked lonely at the last dance so we dragged her in to dance with the two of us. And there was Puppy the whole time. He never left my side (except for that moment that I had to answer a call from work, but in that case, it was me rushing outside to take the call so as not to disturb others with my inane conversations). Everyone who came over to say hi immediately said, "So you're Dino!" Apparently, Puppy talks about me all the time. It doesn't help that his two friends, Shay and Nic, have both had my cooking and talk about it too.

The best part is that I got to share this amazing night with Puppy, and saw him smiling nonstop. He was so handsome in that suit of his. I'm kind of glad that I stayed home on prom night in high school. Yesterday night was perfect. My only memory of going to a prom is with my handsome Prince Charming, having an amazing time, and sealing the deal afterwards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dino, your relationship is literally made of glitter and fluffy kittens fuzzy feelings, I swear to god. And it is the cutest goddamned thing. :3:

(And yes, from earlier, the US is in desperate need of more takeaway curries of every type)

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 11, 2013

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Yeah, I gotta say that anytime you post anything about you and Puppy, it's pretty much always the most adorable thing that I've read in at least a week. Y'all are so cute.

If there were a late night döner place in my town, I would weigh fifty pounds more than I do now and I would have gotten another credit card to pay for it. I loving love döner and miss that poo poo after spending a summer staying up late in German college town bars and shoving it in my face so I could manage to walk home at 5 am.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

That's beautiful, dino..

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
dino., your posts are almost saccharine but because they're so obviously sincere, they're really not.

Now, tell us more about this "sealing the deal" business.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Skinny King Pimp posted:

If there were a late night döner place in my town, I would weigh fifty pounds more than I do now and I would have gotten another credit card to pay for it. I loving love döner and miss that poo poo after spending a summer staying up late in German college town bars and shoving it in my face so I could manage to walk home at 5 am.

British döner is not a patch on German döner. If it was, I too would be 50lb heavier. Also German lager is much better. I miss Germany.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarbrush posted:

British döner is not a patch on German döner. If it was, I too would be 50lb heavier. Also German lager is much better. I miss Germany.

quoted for truth

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
There's British lager?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Allahu Snackbar posted:

See, here is the bizarre part. We have several here. They just randomly get raided by the ABC board and their wares seized. Even though it has been a felony, it's been enforced in such a ticky-tack nonconsistent way that if you didn't know it was a felony you could easily assume it was fine to do so.

I did let my brew shop know about the governor's signing like 2 hours after it happened, which was a funny moment lol.

As a fellow brewer, I'm so happy that you've all joined us in the 21st century!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Dino with the feel good post of the year right there :3:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Dino with the feel good post of the year right there :3:

Just you wait until I post the story of my cyst.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Just popping in to post this:

I'm recycling an old book into a cook book. If one is more artsy starting from any work of fiction would do, but as I don't have the patience to paint and color and all that jazz I picked a picture book.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

Just you wait until I post the story of my cyst.

If it's anything like the pilonodial (sp?) cyst that I had then I can only wait :allears:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

If it's anything like the pilonodial (sp?) cyst that I had then I can only wait :allears:

That's the one. I'm hoping he's going to invite me to the prom. I really want to be homecoming king. (What the hell is that anyway, and who decides it?)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dino, you seem like a great guy and all, but your love stories just don't make any sense to me. I wouldn't want to have to sit through that much syrupy treacle in movie, let alone experience it in real life.

Maybe we are having contextual differences? Let's just say that the guys I know in real life who call their boyfriend "puppy" have a very, very different relationship then the one you have.

Doh004 posted:

Ya know, I've been meaning to digitize those old photos of my surgery...

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Dino probably has the happiest married life of anybody I know, myself included. Not to say that mine's not happy, but it's just a benchmark to shoot for :love:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Fo3 posted:

There's British lager?

Yes, but pretend there isn't, you'll be happier.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:barf:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/science/engineering-the-325000-in-vitro-burger.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
One day I can share my story of Dino and forever alter your opinions of him.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Had probably the best leberwurst ever at mother's day dinner. Bonus - the restaurant sells said leberwurst by the pound.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Had the bowl-lift kitchenaid on my wedding registry hoping someone wuvs me a whole shitload. Turns out I am in fact wuvved, and furthermore I have permission to open it early to submit the registration for a free accessory :dance:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of my good friends got married this weekend. The invitation had the following entree choices:

___ Moo!
___ Cluck!
___ *the sound of vegetables growing*

(this is exactly how the invitation was written, by the by)

I signed up for the beef but ended up getting chicken at the buffet-style semi-catered dinner, since the beef (strips in some sort of jus) looked so desiccated I wanted no part of that. Unfortunately, the chicken (fried breast portions with some generic gravy-type sauce over it) was terrible too.

Anyway...one of my other friends who was attending the wedding is a vegetarian, as is her sister who came too. Obviously, they both signed up for the vegetarian option. When we were in line to get our food, we asked the people working the line what the vegetarian option was. They pointed to the large bowl of salad at the front of the table. When we scoffed a bit, they shrugged their shoulders and said that they were not told to prepare any veggie entrees.

Who the gently caress has a vegetarian option on their wedding invitation, then basically invites all vegetarian attendees to go gently caress themselves and eat salad?

I'm happy for my friend, really. It was a lovely wedding otherwise and I wish them well. But seriously??

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Proof positive that caterers get away by not murdering people.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

The Midniter posted:

One of my good friends got married this weekend. The invitation had the following entree choices:

___ Moo!
___ Cluck!
___ *the sound of vegetables growing*

(this is exactly how the invitation was written, by the by)

I signed up for the beef but ended up getting chicken at the buffet-style semi-catered dinner, since the beef (strips in some sort of jus) looked so desiccated I wanted no part of that. Unfortunately, the chicken (fried breast portions with some generic gravy-type sauce over it) was terrible too.

Anyway...one of my other friends who was attending the wedding is a vegetarian, as is her sister who came too. Obviously, they both signed up for the vegetarian option. When we were in line to get our food, we asked the people working the line what the vegetarian option was. They pointed to the large bowl of salad at the front of the table. When we scoffed a bit, they shrugged their shoulders and said that they were not told to prepare any veggie entrees.

Who the gently caress has a vegetarian option on their wedding invitation, then basically invites all vegetarian attendees to go gently caress themselves and eat salad?

I'm happy for my friend, really. It was a lovely wedding otherwise and I wish them well. But seriously??
Vegetables is what food eats.

Naw; that sucks. I'm getting married next Spring, outside, and my plan, of which I am trying to convince MY FIANCEE, is to have food stands and/or trucks there that people can just go to at their leisure. A central/south American wagon (OK, probably just tacos), a burger stand, an ice cream truck, and some sort of actual vegetarian stand. Maybe a falafel cart? Hippies like falafel, right?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Everyone likes falafel. Or they're wrong. Whichever.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Have a gyro food truck. Gyros are the food of Athenian Gods.

And they'd probably do falafels too!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm super excited about my wedding catering - just signed our contract. It's going to cost us an ungodly amount of money, but doing a 4 course sit down meal catered by a James Beard winner (whose restaurant I staged at, which I think is helping the price a little). https://www.restauranteugene.com

son I don't play :colbert:

I'd much rather just be doing it all myself but I've been given an ultimatum against doing so by multiple people. :(

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
In a weird reversal, boh looks like a bunch of regular joes and foh looks like a bunch of serial killers.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

To celebrate my state repealing homebrew prohibition, I bought myself a shirt appropriate for my future in creating mind-altering consumables in the comfort of my own home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hey hey if you wanna see how not to handle your online presence as a business, click here https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco