Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

computer parts posted:

I liked it, but I personally found the mystery of "why did the power go away" to be sufficiently captivating, along with the whole "guy tortured about his faith" angle.

"Why did the power go away" is definitely what's keeping me reading, and I really like Raoden's storyline. It's definitely slower-paced and more awkwardly-written than Sanderson's later stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Just finished my first reading of WoK and I'm pretty sure that is just foreshadowing something that will be revealed in a later book.

I like Sanderson, I really do, but he isn't much of a writer. His dialog is so stiff, especially for the characters who are supposed to be witty. Whenever Shallan made a joke I wanted to throttle her. Being intentionally obtuse isn't comedy, it's the worst part of dealing with 8 year olds.
That said I honestly can't think of a writer in any genre or medium who is better at plotting than Sanderson. The way he combines the disparate elements of a work into a climax is truly impressive. This is true for the conclusion to the Mistborn series too, I loved that conclusion. The Apex of Way of Kings may have been even better I was waiting for Kaladin and Dalinar to meet for the latter half of the book and felt so stupid for wanting him to jump the gun once I saw the Tower scene on the horizon.
Overall I guess the worst thing about this book was that it hooked at the very beginning of a long series. Book ten is going to be a while...

I felt pretty much the same way about Sanderson and the book. It took quite a bit of effort not to skip Shallan's bits because they were kind of...embarrassing to read if it makes sense. Picturing someone saying those lines was just an awkward scene in my mind. I think Sanderson did a good job with Wit though, if only because he was less witty and more just openly an rear end to everyone. I also felt really stupid because I was way, way too excited about that bit in the end. I felt like a little kid watching professional wrestling going "C'MON! GO BACK! GO BACK!" the entire time.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
For Elantris, it's more about which two plot threads you like and which one you hate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Hrathen is a cool-rear end dude.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I liked Hrathen's, as a mormon it was very obviously inspired by Sanderson's experience as a missionary in Korea and probably more generally informed by knowledge of church history.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

veekie posted:

For Elantris, it's more about which two plot threads you like and which one you hate.

Raoden and Hrathen are awesome.

Princess what's her face? Not so much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sherringford posted:

I felt pretty much the same way about Sanderson and the book. It took quite a bit of effort not to skip Shallan's bits because they were kind of...embarrassing to read if it makes sense. Picturing someone saying those lines was just an awkward scene in my mind. I think Sanderson did a good job with Wit though, if only because he was less witty and more just openly an rear end to everyone. I also felt really stupid because I was way, way too excited about that bit in the end. I felt like a little kid watching professional wrestling going "C'MON! GO BACK! GO BACK!" the entire time.

I'm not sure, but I kind of get the feeling that nobody else in universe finds Shallan as witty as she thinks she is. I think Jasnath basically says at one point 'you're trying to be witty, but you suck at it, stop it'.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Cicero posted:

It's a part of the shardverse (and on the same planet as the excellent The Emperor's Soul) so just slog through. DO IT.
Shardverse? Does that have something to do with The Stormlight Archives?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Tunicate posted:

I'm not sure, but I kind of get the feeling that nobody else in universe finds Shallan as witty as she thinks she is. I think Jasnath basically says at one point 'you're trying to be witty, but you suck at it, stop it'.

Also it's very heavily implied (or at least I thought so) that the earlier comments from sailors and the like on her wit is just brown nosing because she's a lighteyes or aryan-noble or whatevs.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tunicate posted:

I thought so too, but then Sanderson went on to say that he had a lot of fun writing Shallan's witticisms during a podcast(I think it was this podcast but I can't be sure. I'm pretty sure the podcast itself warns about this, but it's probably worth noting it has a few spoilers in it.) and the tone he used gave me the impression he actually thought she was funny. I could be remembering the podcast wrong though(my computer doesn't seem too keen on working properly today so I can't check) so maybe you're right.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 11, 2013

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Elantris is hamstrung by Brandon's triptych plotting. Like you'll get really invested in one thread and then have to wait two chapters to get back to it.

But the novella, the Emperor's Soul, takes place on the same planet and there are things you may pick up only if you've read the original. Not that it doesn't stand alone of course.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Xachariah posted:

Also it's very heavily implied (or at least I thought so) that the earlier comments from sailors and the like on her wit is just brown nosing because she's a lighteyes or aryan-noble or whatevs.

What I think he was trying for was that those people just don't have much of a sense of humor/wit, but what actually happened was that Shallan(and Sanderson by extension) was really bad at being funny.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

veekie posted:

What I think he was trying for was that those people just don't have much of a sense of humor/wit, but what actually happened was that Shallan(and Sanderson by extension) was really bad at being funny.

I dunno, most of Chapter 29 is Jasnah starting with "You often seem to say the first passably clever thing that enters your mind," then telling Shallan to try to think before just blurting out inappropriate and 'clever' comments.

That said I actually liked the lightsong segments in warbreaker, so I might not entirely be the best person to judge this.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah but Jasnah also acknowledges that Shallan's commentary is clever. Just inappropriate(and that she should work to be clever while being appropriate).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fezz posted:

Elantris is hamstrung by Brandon's triptych plotting. Like you'll get really invested in one thread and then have to wait two chapters to get back to it.

I had this problem the first time I read The Hero of Ages--I didn't give a drat about Spook or Elend (when he wasn't with Vin) and was annoyed every time I turned a page and saw I was about to read a Spook Chapter or Elend Chapter. I think I just have a very low tolerance for angstiness.

I don't mind it nearly as much on re-reads, though, probably because now I know it all ties together nicely and those chapters actually are somewhat important.

I also really enjoyed Lightsong even though Sanderson's sense of humor generally annoys me to no end. There was just something appreciable about how he was openly being a jackass and doing so with a point. Sanderson seems fond of the rear end in a top hat With a Heart of Gold type of character.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Someone in this thread described it best for me, Lightsong was the god of dad humor. I hosed loved that character's cheesy as jokes but there might be something wrong with me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Clinton1011 posted:

Someone in this thread described it best for me, Lightsong was the god of dad humor. I hosed loved that character's cheesy as jokes but there might be something wrong with me.

Lightsong gets a pass because he knows his jokes are terrible. He revels in how bad he is.

Shallan thinks she's funny, and people treat her like she's funny. But she's more awkward than anything.

Lightsong, though? He's horrid, and the only people not rolling their eyes at his "jokes" are the priests. Lightsong spends the entire book trolling the other gods, the priests, the servants, basically everyone in his life. And the humor comes from the irony that most of these people are too wrapped up in dogma to recognize his trolling, and treat it as prophecy.

So yes, he's funny in a "dad humor" sort of way, but the real humor is in the irony.

Shallan is just shallow, flighty, and awkward in comparison.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shallan's been sheltered all her life and is what, 19? Less? I expect her to be awkward, shallow and flighty. She's not likeable, but inasmuch as that was book 1 of 10 I don't think she's really supposed to be. It was an introduction to a character that's marked for development.

I wish there was somewhere that offered Stormlight Archives betting lines because I would load up on Adolin's going to die well before the series is over.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Shallan's been sheltered all her life and is what, 19? Less? I expect her to be awkward, shallow and flighty. She's not likeable, but inasmuch as that was book 1 of 10 I don't think she's really supposed to be. It was an introduction to a character that's marked for development.

I wish there was somewhere that offered Stormlight Archives betting lines because I would load up on Adolin's going to die well before the series is over.

really? My money is elsewhere but nearby.

Cicero posted:

I liked Hrathen's, as a mormon it was very obviously inspired by Sanderson's experience as a missionary in Korea and probably more generally informed by knowledge of church history.

I must've missed the "convert or die" portion of training at the MTC :)

Raoden is by far my favorite story in Elantris, followed by Hrathen, whatever her face is "okay" and only picks up towards the end the crazy Jiskari Mysteries cult thing is pretty cool

Raoden's pay off is worth the book though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

treeboy posted:

really? My money is elsewhere but nearby.

I view that as a given, pretty much. The point is it seems obvious to me that Renarin is being set up to be a major character with basically a Male Siri (ignored non-heir child suddenly thrust into the heir's responsiblities) flavor of development.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

To be fair, it's more "convert or we'll do it for you posthumously".

Ah, good ol' Mormon antics.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I view that as a given, pretty much. The point is it seems obvious to me that Renarin is being set up to be a major character with basically a Male Siri (ignored non-heir child suddenly thrust into the heir's responsiblities) flavor of development.

Yeah, I've had this impression as well. Either that, or Dalinar and all his family will get separated in some way soon. If only because if Adolin, Kaladin, and Dalinar (and Renarin and Moash) are all in one fight, Sanderson will have too much trouble showing how cool each one is without one getting overshadowed and without making the fight take way too long.

So, if I could bet, I'd bet on there being troubles in Dalinar's home country soon and that some (but not all) of the protagonists will go back home.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Shardverse? Does that have something to do with The Stormlight Archives?

Yeah, the majority of Sanderson's world and magic systems are set in one giant universe and the magic systems in each book come from shards. He has a character who is present/mentioned in each one of his books and is part of an overarching theme.

So basically all of his book series are introductions to his giant cosmere one in however many years, if I'm right.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
drat, I saw 30 new posts and had hoped they had announced a publication date for Stormlight 2

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^^Sorry, that has to be pretty disapointing.

I just read up on the Shardverse and it seems neat as a kind of wink/nod to his longtime fans but if interaction between the world's of his different series ever became a significant plot that could be real bad.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Aside from the recurring character, there's an entire sub-chapter of Way of Kings involving a group of travelers from other Cosmere settings.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

drat, I saw 30 new posts and had hoped they had announced a publication date for Stormlight 2

The first draft is 83% finished so we'll probably see a release date by the end of the month.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I just read up on the Shardverse and it seems neat as a kind of wink/nod to his longtime fans but if interaction between the world's of his different series ever became a significant plot that could be real bad.

Well, look at it this way: by the time he gets around to writing anything heavily cosmere-crossing, he'll have written like 20 more books by then. Compare Sanderson now to Sanderson in Elantris. That was about 20 books ago. If anyone will be able to pull off something like that by then, it'll be Sanderson.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Well, look at it this way: by the time he gets around to writing anything heavily cosmere-crossing, he'll have written like 20 more books by then. Compare Sanderson now to Sanderson in Elantris. That was about 20 books ago. If anyone will be able to pull off something like that by then, it'll be Sanderson.

Yeah... there are some hints the 'mistborn in space' trilogy will start a lot of meeting up with other shardworlds, and that's scheduled for... let's see...

Rithmatist is coming out in like two days
Steelheart comes out September, and it's the first in the (non-cosmere) trilogy, so three books there.
Words of Radiance (October/November)
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (Short Story in the Dangerous Women Anthology )- May 2014
Then the dialogue for Mistborn: Birthright... again in 2014
Alcatraz 5 sometime in 2014
Elantris II sometime in 2015
Shadows of Self (Alloy of Law Sequel) sometime around then.

Then there's Nightblood (warbreaker II) 8 more Stormlight Archive novels, the second mistborn trilogy (set between stormlight 5 and 6), and probably a reworking of some of the other Cosmere novel drafts like Silence Divine or Liar of Partinel... and there will obviously be noncosmere stuff interspersed in that...

So that's what, 23 books we can guarantee will come out before the crossovers start happening as part of the plot? I think the original plan was for 38 books total in the shard universe, but stuff like Alloy of Law and Emperor's Soul seem to be pretty organic and spontaneous, so I'm not sure they count.

But yeah Sanderson is like the Rock Lee of novel writing.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

From what I've heard, he wants to avoid writing anything where you need to have read another series to understand what's going on. The most we're likely to get for a while is stuff like those Hoid-hunters in Way of Kings.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

treeboy posted:

To me it felt like a mormon missionary "sincere but calculating" mindset, but transplanted onto an evil empire.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tunicate posted:

Yeah... there are some hints the 'mistborn in space' trilogy will start a lot of meeting up with other shardworlds, and that's scheduled for... let's see...

Rithmatist is coming out in like two days
Steelheart comes out September, and it's the first in the (non-cosmere) trilogy, so three books there.
Words of Radiance (October/November)
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (Short Story in the Dangerous Women Anthology )- May 2014
Then the dialogue for Mistborn: Birthright... again in 2014
Alcatraz 5 sometime in 2014
Elantris II sometime in 2015
Shadows of Self (Alloy of Law Sequel) sometime around then.

Then there's Nightblood (warbreaker II) 8 more Stormlight Archive novels, the second mistborn trilogy (set between stormlight 5 and 6), and probably a reworking of some of the other Cosmere novel drafts like Silence Divine or Liar of Partinel... and there will obviously be noncosmere stuff interspersed in that...

So that's what, 23 books we can guarantee will come out before the crossovers start happening as part of the plot? I think the original plan was for 38 books total in the shard universe, but stuff like Alloy of Law and Emperor's Soul seem to be pretty organic and spontaneous, so I'm not sure they count.

But yeah Sanderson is like the Rock Lee of novel writing.

Jesus, I never really realized how many books he has already written and intends to write.

Its unreal

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The Glumslinger posted:

Jesus, I never really realized how many books he has already written and intends to write.

Its unreal

Brandon does not eat or sleep, he lives off of printer ink and Magic cards.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Don't forget, Sanderson's take on Young Adult, The Rithamatist, releases on Kindle tonight! :siren:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rithmatist-ebook/dp/B00AJGNICW

Amazon.com posted:

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson: his debut novel for the young adult audience

More than anything, Joel wants to be a Rithmatist. Chosen by the Master in a mysterious inception ceremony, Rithmatists have the power to infuse life into two-dimensional figures known as Chalklings. Rithmatists are humanity’s only defense against the Wild Chalklings—merciless creatures that leave mangled corpses in their wake. Having nearly overrun the territory of Nebrask, the Wild Chalklings now threaten all of the American Isles.

As the son of a lowly chalkmaker at Armedius Academy, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students study the magical art that he would do anything to practice. Then students start disappearing—kidnapped from their rooms at night, leaving trails of blood. Assigned to help the professor who is investigating the crimes, Joel and his friend Melody find themselves on the trail of an unexpected discovery—one that will change Rithmatics—and their world—forever.

Bestselling author Brandon Sanderson brings his unique brand of epic storytelling to the teen audience with an engrossing tale of danger and suspense—the first of a series. With his trademark skills in world-building, Sanderson has created a magic system that is so inventive and detailed that that readers who appreciate games of strategy and tactics just may want to bring Rithmatics to life in our world.

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.

Reviews posted:

“The Rithmatist, while it’s definitely as clear and exciting as a YA novel should be, is every bit as deep and richly invented as the best of Sanderson’s adult novels…. Sanderson at his best, for adults and young readers alike.”—Orson Scott Card, New York Times bestselling author of Ender’s Game

“Brandon Sanderson has created an ingenious new martial art where the chalk is mightier than the sword. In his alternative, dangerous version of the world, brave young soldiers must battle back dark forces armed with the nerves of a warrior and the skills of an artist. It’s a fun read with a unique take on fighting where if you can’t draw…you die.”—D.J. MacHale, New York Times bestselling author of Pendragon and SYLO.

“There are very few authors about whom I can say, without a doubt, that I will read every single book they ever write. Brandon Sanderson is a member of that club. He’s brilliant and has an imagination I’ve only seen in the likes of Stephen King and J.K. Rowling.”—James Dashner, New York Times bestselling author of The Maze Runner

“Brimming with wit, mystery, and enough ideas to make ten other books jealous, The Rithmatist is boldly entertaining and wildly original. Armedius Academy is the first magic school that really teaches magic—the chalk-based Rithmatics, both a mystic science and a delightful visual art—and I have never had more fun learning anything. The creepy climax had me on the edge of my seat, and the slam-bang finish made me stand up and cheer.”—Dan Wells, author of I Am Not a Serial Killer and Partials

You can also preorder his next book, Steelheart, which release on September 24th.

http://www.amazon.com/Steelheart-ebook/dp/B00ARHAAZ6/

Amazon.com posted:

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn Trilogy, Brandon Sanderson, comes the first book in a new, action-packed thrill ride of a series—Steelheart.

Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics.

But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics . . . nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart—the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning—and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.

:black101:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Went to Amazon to preorder but Amazon said that I already preordered them, back in February! Feels like I'm getting free books. :neckbeard:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I just finished the Rithmatist (no spoilers) and I have to say that the 16 year-olds act a lot more like 8-11 year olds. I'm not thinking that YA is going to be Sanderson's wheelhouse, which doesn't make me have a lot of confidence in Steelheart.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
But a lot of 16 year olds do act like 12 year olds.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Recommendation? No recommendation?

Was this the one where he was inspired by pro Starcraft?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Superstring posted:

Recommendation? No recommendation?

Was this the one where he was inspired by pro Starcraft?

I don't know about the Starcraft thing. I would personally rate it pretty low on the Sanderson scale. If you had a problem with the "Press A B B A A+B down down" aspect of parts of the Way of Kings and Mistborn, you are going to hate the poo poo out of this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

navyjack posted:

I just finished the Rithmatist (no spoilers) and I have to say that the 16 year-olds act a lot more like 8-11 year olds. I'm not thinking that YA is going to be Sanderson's wheelhouse, which doesn't make me have a lot of confidence in Steelheart.

Which kinda makes sense since it's aimed at the 5th-7th grade, same as his other YA series, Alcatraz.