Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
don't come into the thread much, but just bought my ticket for the july 10th streetlight manifesto show in the Washington DC area and I'm pretty psyched :cool:

been enjoying The Hands That Thieve a lot, and although it was only on Spotify for a day before it got pulled, I also was really enjoying the Toh Kay companion album.

edit: whelp, people have been talking about it for pages and pages, so hopefully not too much of a repeat, and I didn't know Toh Kay was actually canceled versus being delayed

for some amount of information, I've loved pretty much everything SM has put out, and nowadays Somewhere in the Between is edging out Keasbey and Everything Goes Numb.

On the new album, The Three of Us, They Broke Him Down, and Oh Me, Oh My are a bit below everything else for me, though still good. Toe to Toe and If Only for Memories are the current tiptop.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anybody get Boston Rx Bandits tickets? I'm afraid to wait till tomorrow to buy them at the box office, but a $6.50 service charge per ticket is loving stupid.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Anybody get Boston Rx Bandits tickets? I'm afraid to wait till tomorrow to buy them at the box office, but a $6.50 service charge per ticket is loving stupid.

$9 service charge for the show in NY. I'm stupid and spent all my spending money on a hockey jersey and won't be able to buy my ticket until next week when it'll be sold out. Hooray!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
RxB are touring again???

gently caress, I was so bummed when I missed them last time, I need to go to this. Now that I've seen FiF and Jeff do the ASOB show (wherein Dan Potthast used the ASOB horn section to do Mu330 songs :swoon: ), they're pretty much the only band left that I really just need to see.

Well, them and Edna's Goldfish but lol

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

After listening to THTT nonstop for what two weeks now I now have my own persnal HIGHLY CONTENTIOUS album ranking.

1. Everything Goes Numb
2. Somewhere in the Between
3. The Hands That Thieve
4. Kearbey Nights

I don't ~*hate*~ THTT but I also don't feel like it has the polish of the other two albums. Great songs and I'm happy to hear new stuff from them but it kind of seems like its all over the map whereas the first two are very much guided experiences

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Now that I've seen FiF and Jeff do the ASOB show (wherein Dan Potthast used the

this caused me to see if they're unretired and GOOD NEWS! :neckbeard:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, speaking of BTMI!, you can buy Jeff's old house and be a part of BTMI! history.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would if I could, that is very very cheap compared to the houses in Australia.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, speaking of BTMI!, you can buy Jeff's old house and be a part of BTMI! history.

That's only 4 miles from where I live. Jeff did not live in a good part of town.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Apparently some people have gotten their mega bundle things and there are no streetlight cds in it whatsoever :downs:

vvv: Well, last I heard it was a diceroll if the cd would be in there or not.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 13, 2013

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Apparently some people have gotten their mega bundle things and there are no streetlight cds in it whatsoever :downs:

Yes. See above. Victory will not give them any records.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Volt Catfish posted:

vvv: Well, last I heard it was a diceroll if the cd would be in there or not.

The thing that you clicked on the risc store site (if you ordered a mega bundle) said very clearly "send me all of my things except the CDs."

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ska thread joint issue? Turn it into Silent Barn South

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If anyone is in Chicago, or interested in travelling to Chicago in September, Riot Fest will have Toots and Maytals, The Selecter, and Mephiskapheles playing, although I have no clue which day any of them are playing.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Maybe I'm just a music snob but Fall Out Boy and Blink 182 are headlining? Ughhhhh.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Hobbit posted:

Maybe I'm just a music snob but Fall Out Boy and Blink 182 are headlining? Ughhhhh.

I actually like Fall Out Boy. They're really good for being, more or less, straight pop.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hobbit posted:

Just imagine some trumpets and they're the same as everything from 1997.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hobbit posted:

Talk poo poo get hit.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

if the play some from under the cork tree and before, i would absolutely love to see fall out boy

however, therein lies the rub

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

if the play some from under the cork tree and before, i would absolutely love to see fall out boy

however, therein lies the rub

No joke if Fall Out Boy announced they were doing a show where they played all of Take This To Your Grave and nothing else, I would sell a kidney to go. That's a good album.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
My distaste for this particular billing has little to do with Fall Out Boy or Blink themselves. They're decent bands. However, they seem out of place headlining Riot Fest. Maybe my memory is betraying me but past Riot Fest line ups have always had solid punk headliners.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

This Riotfest lineup seems like somebody just hit shuffle on their ipod for 50 artists.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

No joke if Fall Out Boy announced they were doing a show where they played all of Take This To Your Grave and nothing else, I would sell a kidney to go. That's a good album.

for serious though, i think from under the cork tree has grown on me enough over the years to be my favorite, but god drat take this to your grave is loving incredible top to bottom

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Hobbit posted:

My distaste for this particular billing has little to do with Fall Out Boy or Blink themselves. They're decent bands. However, they seem out of place headlining Riot Fest. Maybe my memory is betraying me but past Riot Fest line ups have always had solid punk headliners.

Yeah last year I caught NOFX, The Descendents, Andrew WK, hosed Up and Lawrence Arms in the Toronto date of Riotfest. hosed Up was amazing. Pink Eyes grabbed a foam finger and tickled my nose with it while he was in the crowd midset. I'm the dirty hippie on the right with bad taste in hair color

Obama Yo Mama posted:

for serious though, i think from under the cork tree has grown on me enough over the years to be my favorite, but god drat take this to your grave is loving incredible top to bottom

This thread has made me feel so much better about my unapologetic love of Fall Out Boy

seventeen fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 17, 2013

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
So some of my friends dragged me to a Ska Prom earlier this week, and now I found myself really digging the music. I know Streetlight Manifesto is the go to ska band, and I've already bought and really enjoyed Somewhere in the Between, but what else should I look into as a new ska listener? I've been trying to find stuff from the bands that played that night, but they are all generally too small to have record deals, except Waffle Stompers, but I already grabbed their stuff.

I'm working through the OP and looking into some of the band there, but generally just a big list of names is kinda imposing to work through and I don't want to blindly stumble around a new genre.

EGSunBro fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 17, 2013

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

EGSunBro posted:

So some of my friends dragged me to a Ska Prom earlier this week, and now I found myself really digging the music. I know Streetlight Manifesto is the go to ska band, and I've already bought and really enjoyed Somewhere in the Between, but what else should I look into as a new ska listener? I've been trying to find stuff from the bands that played that night, but they are all generally too small to have record deals, except Waffle Stompers, but I already grabbed their stuff.

I'm working through the OP and looking into some of the band there, but generally just a big list of names is kinda imposing to work through and I don't want to blindly stumble around a new genre.

In an effort to not just list a whole bunch of bands I like, I'll just let you know that I've recently been listening to a lot of Edna's Goldfish. They have 2 albums, both are decently different but still ska.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

EGSunBro posted:

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview
Mustard Plug - Evildoers Beware
Reel Big Fish - Our Live Album....

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview
Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off
Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights

Are probably the only three I'd say are absolutely essential listening.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

EGSunBro posted:

Aside from all the other ones I'd diversify and look for some other sides of the genre.

Cat Empire and Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra are modern stuff with less punk to them and a lot of other influences. It's hard to say if this stuff is proper ska but it scratches the same itch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFxo4mpiKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcWGdkoo0Fs

For the second Wave (late 70s-80s), Madness, the Specials and the Toasters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJSM46nWwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCZN1rU5co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx_dCxt7nXA(This one is from 1997 but whatever)

There's also the First Wave Jamaican stuff like Skatalites and Toots and the Maytals that's really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHxEijSG7fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oOtz6mE7sM (loving awesome)

Also surprised nobody's mentioned Jeff Rosenstock and Bomb the Music Industry!, his ska-punk DIY group. A lot of it's more hardcore punk and the ska influences aren't that common but it's great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lN7V4_Gx0

All of his stuff is free to download here http://bombthemusicindustry.tumblr.com/ and you should check out his sort of label here http://quoteunquoterecords.com

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
Let us not forget the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. The album I would check out first are "Let's Face It" and "Devil's Night Out."

Mighty Mighty Bosstones- Devil's Night Out

Also Fishbone and the Aquabats.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The Slackers: http://www.theslackers.com/music/ New York Jazz/Ska/Reggae/Rocksteady.

There isn't a definitive album, but Peculiar is my personal favorite.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

EGSunBro posted:

Suburban Legends - Rumpshaker
Bomb The Music Industry! - Scrambles
The Toasters - Dub 56
Are also three must haves

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Skankin Pickle's live album encompasses them pretty well. For the harder side of ska, try Choking Victim, Leftover Crack or the Suicide Machines. For some more laid back stuff, try the Dance Hall Crashers and The Hippos. Before Rancid was Operation Ivy and they're certainly worth listening to

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
Here's a few bands I've been listening to recently to check out.

Popes of Chillitown - I think a few of you here would like this band. I wouldn't consider it ska punk, but it's a really energetic, fast paced style of ska.
The Forthrights - Ska/Rocksteady
The Dualers - Ska
By The Rivers - Ska/Reggae
The Internationals - Most of the stuff is instrumentals, but their newest album "Mousetrap" has an awesome female vocalist for the first half of the album. Definitely worth checking out.

If you have Spotify I've got a playlist that's around 650 songs. Check it out here if you want to. It's pretty light on the ska punk though if that's what you're looking for.

Also, does anyone have any good ska sites to check out? The only one I usually visit frequently is Reggae Steady Ska. Found out about some great bands there and I'm looking for more sites like it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Aside from all the other ones I'd diversify and look for some other sides of the genre.

Cat Empire and Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra are modern stuff with less punk to them and a lot of other influences. It's hard to say if this stuff is proper ska but it scratches the same itch.
I love Cat Empire but they're really more of a fusion of genres. I would say Two Shoes and their self-titled album are as close as they get to ska music, but So Many Nights and Cinema have much more of a world music influence. Just get Two Shoes, as long as you can deal with the goofy campy 90s-as-poo poo vocals you'll enjoy it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

EGSunBro posted:

A lot of people have been listing stuff that's more obscure or non Third Wave. Which is, you know, fine. But it's probably not the kind of stuff you heard at a general-interest ska show, and personally I don't care for a lot of it -- I loving hate the Aquabats, I like only a handful of Bomb The Music Industry!, I don't like a lot of stuff that this thread loves to death. So here's my list of some essentials with more of a focus in that direction in case that's what you're looking for:

Reel Big Fish - Turn The Radio Off; Why Do They Rock So Hard? - RBF were a huge part of the '90s ska revival, these are their first two albums and in my opinion their best. Their live album (Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album) is a decent alternative if you'd prefer to go that route. Here's what they sound like: First album Second album Reel Big Fish make stupid videos, sorry.

Less Than Jake - Losing Streak; Hello Rockview - RBF and LTJ are the two other marquee names in Third Wave ska. These are generally regarded as their best albums. Losing Streak is older and a bit more raw; Hello Rockview is more polished. Personally I'd suggest at least starting with Hello Rockview, and if you like it, give Losing Streak a shot. A lot of people prefer Losing Streak but I think it's less accessible for a new listener. Samples: Losing Streak Hello Rockview

The Toasters - Hard Band For Dead - The Toasters basically represent the bridge between Two-Tone and Third Wave ska in my mind. Dub 56 is a good album, and so are some of their others, but Hard Band For Dead is the classic Toasters album. It's the one you still occasionally see t-shirts of. Hard Band For Dead is to the Toasters as ... And Out Come The Wolves is to Rancid. I only like some of it but it's definitely the one to get if you're only getting one. Sample

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face It - I love the poo poo out of the Bosstones but if you pick up only one album it should really be this one. This is where all of the Bosstones songs that everyone knows came from. Sample Live version, sorry. Hard to find Bosstones stuff on YouTube.

All of these bands have other great albums. There are a ton of other good third-wave ska bands. I haven't touched at all on traditional or Two-Tone ska. But I would suggest starting with these before you go down the various rabbit holes that people here will want to show you.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Hey guys, I'm moving cross country to Oregon this winter. Do ska shows exist in the Pacific Northwest?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I didn't think it was possible to not like Fury of the Aquabats.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
The Aquabats were included in io9's recent list of the 11 greatest science fiction bands.

http://io9.com/the-11-greatest-science-fiction-themed-bands-507573452

(I'm really glad Warp 11 also made the list.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

seventeen posted:

Hey guys, I'm moving cross country to Oregon this winter. Do ska shows exist in the Pacific Northwest?

Oregon is home of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, who own. Granted, they play a lot of swing jazz and rock with horns in addition to ska, but its all good stuff. They even have a new album out in the summer. (It's a swing album, but still) Checkout Skaboy JFK for a ska-focused album.