Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

Second hand Cyrus amplifiers might be up your alley. They're a bit expensive however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I don't know whether I should be getting a 2.1 or 2.0 speaker set. :( Everyone tells me that if I want to play video games I should be getting a 2.1, but on the other hand, the 2.0s I had sounded better to me, there's no plaće to put a subwoofer in my room and there's a glass shelf door that always rattled when the bass was getting stronger.

I'm eyeing Fostex PM 0.4 or Swans D1080mkII from 2.0 sets, and Edifier S330D. Audioengines are impossible for me to buy, by the way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Call Now posted:

Audioengines are impossible for me to buy, by the way.

:confused: How so?

For gaming, instead of speakers I'd get a decent pair of headphones or a headset if you use voice chat.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
They just aren't available anywhere in Poland! Also, I do have good headphones already, but speakers are more comfortable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get the 2.0's if they sound better to you. You can always add a subwoofer in later if you feel like you need it—you'll wind up with a way better 2.1 system than most off the shelf 2.1 systems. People usually recommend having a subwoofer for gaming and home theater use so you can get the lowest rumbles that even really, really good 2.0 speakers don't usually hit due to limitations of their small-ish woofers. But you're likely sacrificing pretty much everywhere else in SQ to get those rumbles (and the rumbles won't be as rumbly as those from a sub you add to a 2.0 system.)

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
So, I've bought some Swans M200MKIII (20% off :woop:) for my PC, but I currently just have the on board sound of my Asus MB which I think doesn't have RCA-outputs. I have a set of Logitech Z906 which has RCA on the subwoofer, but I'm unsure if I want them connected to a sub at all or if it will negatively affect the sound (it would also mean two drat volume knobs). Should I get an internal/external soundcard or something?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can just get an RCA to mini jack adapter. If the onboard output winds up being really noisy you could look at something else, but it's probably fine.

That sub is probably not a great match for your swans. I'd leave it off or get a regular home stereo sub if you need more thump. That said, since you already have it, you could just grab a second adapter and hook it up to your sound cards subwoofer output (I think most sound cards Will have one). Match the levels with the volume knobs and then just adjust everything with the windows software volume.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

powderific posted:

You can just get an RCA to mini jack adapter. If the onboard output winds up being really noisy you could look at something else, but it's probably fine.

That sub is probably not a great match for your swans. I'd leave it off or get a regular home stereo sub if you need more thump. That said, since you already have it, you could just grab a second adapter and hook it up to your sound cards subwoofer output (I think most sound cards Will have one). Match the levels with the volume knobs and then just adjust everything with the windows software volume.

I actually think they come with an RCA to mini jack cable, so I'll start with that. Thanks!

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Do the A2's ever go on sale anywhere? I've been checking prices sporadically for at least the last six months, and they're always $200 no matter where I look. I don't know if I keep looking in the wrong places at the wrong times or what, but I really don't want to pay MSRP unless I absolutely have to.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Feedbacker posted:

Do the A2's ever go on sale anywhere? I've been checking prices sporadically for at least the last six months, and they're always $200 no matter where I look. I don't know if I keep looking in the wrong places at the wrong times or what, but I really don't want to pay MSRP unless I absolutely have to.

There's a 15% off code that Audioengine always toss about but I can't remember it. If you google it, it should pop up.

Also, it's not like $200 is really that much money- but, granted, I like Apple products and collect vinyl so my sense of acceptable spending on toys and music is probably completely hosed. :rolleyes:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I bought mine off their refurb shop, they're $160 there I think, coupons don't apply though iirc. There looked like ball point pen marks on a top or side face (white speakers), but where they're set up I can't see them (and even when looked for them a little while back I couldn't find them for whatever reason).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen anything else for deals, but the coupon is pretty much always available. If it's any help, they don't feel like a high margin item by any means. $200, while more than most PC speakers, feels like a good value once you have them in hand. They're just so nicely put together. Audioengine's service has been great to me as well.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 31, 2022

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
Has anyone compared the Audioengine A2 to the Audyssey Lower East Side speakers? I hear really good things about both, and I want to choose between the two...

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've listened to the Audyssey's, but not really for long enough to get a good sense of how they compare. The Audyssey's sound a bit punchier in the bass region. IIRC, Audyssey uses some DSP to get their sound where Audioengine just does traditional speaker/crossover stuff. If you have any way to listen to both I'd recommend it as they're both good and one might appeal more than the other.

My experience with the A2's has been great, and it seems like most others in the thread who've tried em like em. They're a safe bet. (I think they look nicer too.)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

CIGNX posted:

Anyone use amps and home theater speakers for their computer setup? I just got a $20 Lepai amp hooked up to some leftover speakers and it is astonishing how good this ghetto setup sounds (especially compared to my A2s). I'm curious if there are really good amps and speakers combos for computer use, in particular smaller amps and speakers.

I just went with that Lepai amp, combined with these Dayton B652 speakers. It'll primarily be my desktop setup at work, but I'll use it when I go on vacation too, hooked up to my phone or laptop.

The speakers are scheduled for delivery today, and the amp is on backorder until early March.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

CIGNX posted:

Anyone use amps and home theater speakers for their computer setup? I just got a $20 Lepai amp hooked up to some leftover speakers and it is astonishing how good this ghetto setup sounds (especially compared to my A2s). I'm curious if there are really good amps and speakers combos for computer use, in particular smaller amps and speakers.

About a year ago I replaced my Onkyo TX-8211 with a Topping TP20 Mk2, which uses the same amp chip as that Lepai. I've got it hooked up to the same pair of Athena AS-B1's that were hooked up to the Onkyo, and I've been really happy with it. Those speakers are 8-ohm, so I'm really getting more like 12.5WPC, but that's plenty for sitting in front of the computer listening to music or playing games or whatever. I typically keep the volume knob around 1/4-1/3 of max for normal listening; if I really want to crank up the tunes or I'm using it as background music while cooking or doing dishes or whatever halfway up is plenty in my apartment.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My new Lepai Amp + Dayton Speaker combo. I'm incredibly pleased for $60. The sound is clean and detailed and the 6" speakers produce a nice punchy bass.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 8, 2013

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm looking to spend about 50 or 60 bucks for some small desktop speakers. At the moment, I'm looking at these Creative T20s but they're a leeeetle bit more than I was hoping to spend.

I'll just be using them for casual gaming. I'm tired of wearing headphones all the time. My ears get too hot.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

me your dad posted:

My new Lepai Amp + Dayton Speaker combo. I'm incredibly pleased for $60.

I seriously doubt you could do much better for $60 unless you shopped around for 2nd hand speakers.

n0n0 posted:

I'm looking to spend about 50 or 60 bucks for some small desktop speakers. At the moment, I'm looking at these Creative T20s but they're a leeeetle bit more than I was hoping to spend.

I'll just be using them for casual gaming. I'm tired of wearing headphones all the time. My ears get too hot.

I'd strongly suggest going with the previous poster's Tripath amp + Dayton speakers combo. If you're using onboard sound then buying a cheap USB DAC might also be a good idea.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless your onboard audio is incredibly noisy or something, what sort of gain do you expect to get from plopping a USB dac on that system?

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

powderific posted:

Unless your onboard audio is incredibly noisy or something, what sort of gain do you expect to get from plopping a USB dac on that system?

All I know is that my desktop motherboard audio sounds horrible compared to my external USB DAC+headphone amp combo. I paid $180 for mine (Audinst MX2) but I'm sure you could get a decent DAC for much less. I think they start at around $30 these days.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

n0n0 posted:

I also recommend getting the setup I went with. Read reviews on the combo and I bet you'll be sold.

I ordered everything off https://www.parts-express.com. The speakers come with speaker wire so the only other thing you likely need is a Y-split RCA cable / 3.5mm cable to connect your computer/iPod/phone to the amp.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

me your dad posted:

My new Lepai Amp + Dayton Speaker combo. I'm incredibly pleased for $60. The sound is clean and detailed and the 6" speakers produce a nice punchy bass.

I just got the same set up but I'm using Polk Monitor30 Series II speakers instead. Can't wait to set it up after work today.

edit: :stare:

doomisland fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 13, 2013

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Nth-ing the support for them, but received a pair of A2's that I bought based on comments in this thread last week and couldn't be happier. Really great sound that is pretty surprising for a pair of speakers their size, and look great to boot. Bought a refurbished pair to save the extra $40, and you'd have a hard time not telling that they were brand new. (And have the same warranty anyway.)

Big fat thumbs up.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm not totally sure where to put this but I'll try here. I has 2 dell u2312hm monitors and was looking at the dell soundbars, the AX 510 I think. Is that decent? And would I need a splitter if I wanted to get 2 of them? Do I even need 2? Can I set them up as different channels? How does the sound bars work compared to speakers like this. I already have a DAC and 558s but sometimes you just don't want to wear headphones.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

me your dad posted:

Parts Express has the Dayton B652s (see above) back in stock now, in case anyone else was waiting to order them. Grabbed that Lepai amp as well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am considering upgrading my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 GMX setup to some of the Audioengines, probably the A5+. I have a mid 2011 iMac and I am wondering if I should bother getting the 24-bit DAC as well?

Alternatively I was going to just upgrade the 2 satellites with P4s and keep the sub, but the 5+ are appealing as I can probably get away without the sub these days (or even just run a wire to my HT sub)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

I am considering upgrading my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 GMX setup to some of the Audioengines, probably the A5+. I have a mid 2011 iMac and I am wondering if I should bother getting the 24-bit DAC as well?

Alternatively I was going to just upgrade the 2 satellites with P4s and keep the sub, but the 5+ are appealing as I can probably get away without the sub these days (or even just run a wire to my HT sub)

Sound output from Macs is generally quite good. I wouldn't bother with the DAC.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The sub from your promedia speakers probably won't be a great match for the p4's--you'd be better off using your ht sub or just going for the a5's.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sweet, will grab the A5s :) Thanks!

now deciding on colour :negative:

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, also, they have a close out section with refurbished stuff that's in really good shape, though there isn't always everything in stock. There's also almost always 15% off coupons floating around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserface posted:

Sweet, will grab the A5s :) Thanks!

now deciding on colour :negative:

Carbonized bamboo, you donkus. Save white for when you inevitably buy a set of A2s to use as a bedroom/office/kitchen/whatever stereo.

Black is for chumps.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

powderific posted:

Oh, also, they have a close out section with refurbished stuff that's in really good shape, though there isn't always everything in stock. There's also almost always 15% off coupons floating around.

Im in Australia so I go through the distributor here. pricing is identical so Im not fussed.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Carbonized bamboo, you donkus. Save white for when you inevitably buy a set of A2s to use as a bedroom/office/kitchen/whatever stereo.

Black is for chumps.

I dont like natural finishes and the premium price puts it out of my range. White more than likely. (they are going in my bedroom to start with anyway)

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Laserface posted:

I have the A5s and prefer it with the D1 DAC. I've noticed that sound output from my rMPB or iMac can be a little noisy, which is fixed with the DAC. Also, it acts as my headphone amp as well.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
SO I picked up some tower's to replace my bookshelf's I was using in my living room. eventually the bookshelf's will be rear satellite's but for now they're just sitting around unused.

I'm thinking about putting them on my desk for my computer but they're unpowered so I'd have to figure out some kind of amp... I suppose I could try a T-Amp but I'm thinking they may need a little more juice to be sufficiently powered.

These are the speakers if anyone has a recommendation on how to make them work efficiently w/ my PC:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-home-theater-speakers/intimus-5b-bookshelf-speaker

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those are relatively inefficient speakers. They'll probably be OK with a T-amp (or Lepai or similar small amps in the 20 watt range) for near-field use, ie. as desktop speakers where you sit relatively close to them, provided you're not looking to play at high volume.

However, if you need them to play loud enough to fill a normal-sized room with music, you will need an amp with a bit more oomph.

As a reference point, my speakers have a sensitivity of 90 dB and I power them with an old 50 watt Pioneer stereo amp. They can play adequately loud for the room they're in, loud enough for a decent movie experience and definitely loud enough to severely annoy my neighbors. Your speakers have a sensitivity of 87 dB, which means they're slightly less efficient. Unless you want to play at PARTY LOUD sound levels, 50 watts should be fine, though.

I'd look for a used hifi stereo amp of some sort, with 50 watts per channel or more. They can be found for hardly any money, doesn't matter if it's from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s or almost new, as long as it works. Make sure it plays cleanly in both channels and that the volume knob etc. work without making too much noise (you can fix that with some electronic cleaning spray, though). Go newer if you want a remote, obviously. The most important part is an RCA line-level input of some sort and all amps have at least a couple of those. Find an old amp with wood paneling for massive hipster cred.

Look for brands like Pioneer, Marantz, NAD, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Technics, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Kenwood, Carver, Rotel, Sony, Sansui, Luxman, I probably forgot a bunch of old-school brands. But have a look on craigslist and wherever people sell used stuff. You can probably pick up a really good amp for next to nothing because the owner got tired of not having a remote control or something.

Don't buy one of those tiny "400 WATTS!!!" amps you see advertised once in a while. They're bullshit, probably just a set of standard 20 watt Philips ICs inside. Not worth the money. As an example, I just found one from a brand called Kinter, that advertised itself as a "500 watt class-D amplifier". It's powered by a normal 12 volt barrel plug like on an electric razor or whatever. Must be one huge-rear end mother of a wall-wart to deliver that much power, not to mention a cable as thick as a garden hose to handle nearly 50 amps. Looking at the specs, it's more like 5 watts per channel. A filthy lie factor of 100, that's a new record, I think.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 13, 2013

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I've finally done around to wanting to replace my Logitech 5.1 set that I've abused for 5 or 6 years (yeah, computer speakers :negative: I know) and I'd like to take an upgrade path that would get me good 2.0 or 2.1 speakers off the bat, with the ability to add satellites later on. Primarily I'm interested in surround because of gaming, most of my audio consumption is music.

Would a receiver and Audioengine's passive speakers be a sensible way to approach this?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

the yeti posted:

I've finally done around to wanting to replace my Logitech 5.1 set that I've abused for 5 or 6 years (yeah, computer speakers :negative: I know) and I'd like to take an upgrade path that would get me good 2.0 or 2.1 speakers off the bat, with the ability to add satellites later on. Primarily I'm interested in surround because of gaming, most of my audio consumption is music.

Would a receiver and Audioengine's passive speakers be a sensible way to approach this?

Absolutely. But don't think you absolutely have to get the Audioengines, necessarily. They're good, but there are lots of great speakers out there, especially if you aren't dead set on getting active speakers.

Personally, if you can do the additional power wiring, I'd go for a set of their active speakers and plug them directly into your PC. Unless you want to use multiple sources, there really isn't any reason to get a receiver. With the active speakers, you can always add a 5.1 preamp later if you want surround from multiple sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
It seems like people are still getting non-surround speakers for gaming. Shouldn't surround speakers be pretty important for that?