Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Made a dodgy as hell horn contact for the Niva. I still need to see how the wiring in the column was hosed before I can test it.

Took my currenlty sick son for another low 1st putt around the yard. I've clocked up 1.1km in a crowded houseblock in it. I like the new Autotecnica wheel but it's kind of hard. I think my old Saas wheel will fit the boss if it bothers me enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cage posted:

Apologized to it after doing this:

Had no idea it was there. There was a lot of other tail light bits on the ground so that made me feel a tiny bit better, but I am pretty bummed. Couldve been worse though, the trunk still opens and locks and the bumper looked untouched.

Euugh, sucks man. There's a local liquor store with a similar light pole in the middle of the parking lot, and it's not a big lot. Every transaction ends with "Have a good night - watch out for the pole :)"

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Guy Random posted:

Attempted to mount the new oil pan on the DSM to eliminate an oil pan leak. Ordered a $70 aftermarket Spectra pan that is actually pretty well regarded by the community. Rip off the crossmember, transfer case, downpipe, intermediate shaft bracket, and wheel liner necessitated by said crossmemeber removal. Get super OCD on RTV and start mounting up the pan. Running bolts in by hand I hear a tink then metallic sound. HHHmmm odd nothing seems out of place. I finish pan bolts and go to put on the turbo oil drain flange and after fumbling with the bolts notice, the nuts aren't there. poo poo, its in the pan. So.....to hold the drain flange there is a plate with two captive nuts on the inside edge of the pan(two bolts go in from outside the pan) and the spot welds just broke off, Great. Rip it off and rush to clean up the quickly drying RTV. Turns out the pan was slightly banana shaped. Torqueing the bolts just by hand straightened it out. The plate with the nuts was spot welded on while the pan was still banana shaped. Go to just tack weld it on with the mig, and I immediately hate the amount of spatter getting in places I can't see or reliably clean (not to mention burning paint off a brand new oil pan)and give up. Check the pan on a precision block and yup its out a good 1/8th in the middle. WTF. AT this point I become a two year old and smash it on the work bench and walk away. I bought it from Rock auto and they're just a vendor so usually that means SOL there. Go to write an email to Spectra and they don't list an email address ANYWHERE. So I have to call or write a letter. New pans are $209....what the hell is it with these God drat cars. Is it still nickel and dimeing when even the cheap crap is $200?

I should have just bolted the flange on and hoped like hell that oil drain flange would never have to be removed.

Yeah, this is pretty much my life when working on cars.

Weld on an AN fitting to the drain hole and fill in the bolt holes. That'll show it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Changed the oil in the S2k for the first time :)

I unplugged some connector in the way of the filter to get a better grip on it and forgot to plug it back in, so I got a CEL when I started the car again and scratched my head for a second before I remembered about it :buddy:

Get an AEM V2 intake, you can do the entire oil change from the top of the engine.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I did some more work on getting the Niva's horn working from the horn button on the wheel. It now has no horn at all. Yay! The problem is isolated to a physically very small spot and I'm guessing it has something to do with my dodgy contact I made. On the bright side I got the headlight wipers working in some form. When it's in low beam I can hear a motor running when I push the button. Don't know if it's one or both. The headlight washer motor doesn't seem to work though.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Changed the plugs, wires and injectors in the Allante this afternoon. Spark? Check. Air? Check? Fuel? Well, the valve on the fuel rail is reading 45 psi. So why won't you start? :cry:

Oh well, there's always next week to try again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is there fuel in the cylinders after you try to start it (after pulling plugs)?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Drilled some holes in my car and added the fake tinsel of high performance Carbon fiber!

Elbow deep

Next up are a set of B&B bullets because I miss having a stupid loud car apparently.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 28, 2018

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

kill me now posted:

Drilled some holes in my car and added the fake tinsel of high performance Carbon fiber!

Elbow deep

Next up are a set of B&B bullets because I miss having a stupid loud car apparently.

Now I know what I'm doing to my Vette after the blackout kit, black rims, GM PAL V2, and the other thing that I can never remember.

Also, do you want to sell me your NPP mufflers when you get the bullets? I want to retrofit my '05. I've heard the NPP's sound amazing when stuck to the end of some LG long tubes, and you can still do quiet puttering if you don't hate your neighbors.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have begun the (possibly futile) attempt to deal with the awful, awful rust on my BMW's quarter panel.

Some aggressive wire-brushing and sanding.

Clean Prep 1st Coat 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Jagged! However, this hole gave me a look at the back surface of the sheet metal - this rust is definately working its way inwards from the outer surface.

Clean Prep 1st Coat 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

First coat applied!

Clean Prep 1st Coat 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

My plan is to apply the second coat this evening - the instructions say to wait 4-5 hours - and the third tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to apply the "Chassis Coat Black" tomorrow afternoon.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Fuelslt1 posted:

Installed a Stillen front splitter and '06+ headlights. It's amazing how much of a difference they make.

You kinda forgot to edit the second picture, but who cares.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExecuDork posted:

I have begun the (possibly futile) attempt to deal with the awful, awful rust on my BMW's quarter panel.

Some aggressive wire-brushing and sanding.

Clean Prep 1st Coat 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Jagged! However, this hole gave me a look at the back surface of the sheet metal - this rust is definately working its way inwards from the outer surface.

Clean Prep 1st Coat 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

First coat applied!

Clean Prep 1st Coat 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

My plan is to apply the second coat this evening - the instructions say to wait 4-5 hours - and the third tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to apply the "Chassis Coat Black" tomorrow afternoon.

You are going to be revisiting this in 5-10 years if you do it this way, and it will be worse... I recommend the kevbarlas treatment if you want it to actually last. I hate to be this blunt, but it's true and either future you or the next owner will curse your name.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its probably cheaper to just buy the correct complete door from carpart.com or something.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks to me like a rear dogleg/quarter panel, not a door, unfortunately.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

You are going to be revisiting this in 5-10 years if you do it this way, and it will be worse... I recommend the kevbarlas treatment if you want it to actually last. I hate to be this blunt, but it's true and either future you or the next owner will curse your name.
I'd like it to last 3 more years, then the whole car will be junkyard-bound (or otherwise not my DD). I appreciate the blunt honesty. I've never hear of kevbarlas - is it fundamentally different from POR-15 in approach or chemistry?

It's the rear quarter panel of a coupe, so no door or panel replacements are possible.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

No, his approach is slightly different.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

I'd like it to last 3 more years, then the whole car will be junkyard-bound (or otherwise not my DD). I appreciate the blunt honesty. I've never hear of kevbarlas - is it fundamentally different from POR-15 in approach or chemistry?

It's the rear quarter panel of a coupe, so no door or panel replacements are possible.

Ah, that makes more sense. kevbarlas is a fuckin' magician with sheetmetal and a welder. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336130

edit: gently caress! beaten by Galler.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I rotated the tires on my Saabaru to see if that gets rid of the tracking to the left after having the alignment shop check it twice. Then I replaced the upper control and attempted to replace the sway bar bushings and links up front on my 99 civic. The control arm wasn't too bad and then I started on the sway bar. The end links came off fine, but I snapped all 4 bolts holding the sway bar/bushings on (2 each side). I attempted to drill for a little bit but then got pissed when I followed the first google search result looking up what size bit to use for an M8 bolt. It turns out it was way too large. At that point I said gently caress it and just pulled off the front bar. It's a beater anyway and it didn't feel any different driving it around as it always has.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Galler posted:

No, his approach is slightly different.
I should have recognized his name - that thread is mind-blowing.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Got WRX rims on my Forester.

Old:

New:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is why you want your big GT car to be front engined (and a liftback):

Shown partly on its way out/in. With the front fender on, you have to do extra maneuvering to get the handlebars in. I think without the front fender, you could get it in there without tilting forward the front seat. I should post this to Corvetteforum -- I couldn't find a picture online of a C6 holding a bike.

The guy at the bike shop bugged his eyes out when I popped the hatch.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

ApathyGifted posted:

Now I know what I'm doing to my Vette after the blackout kit, black rims, GM PAL V2, and the other thing that I can never remember.

Also, do you want to sell me your NPP mufflers when you get the bullets? I want to retrofit my '05. I've heard the NPP's sound amazing when stuck to the end of some LG long tubes, and you can still do quiet puttering if you don't hate your neighbors.

Yeah I could do that. The exhaust is due in on Monday so hopefully I can install it on wednesday if the weather holds.

I'll pm you about the mufflers.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rebuilding the front suspension on my SRT. Struts, end links, sway bushings, control arms with new ball joints. Went swimmingly until we realized the tires hit the strut perch. Called NAPA to verify they gave me the right strut, according to their system they did. Out of curiosity I asked them to verify the strut part number for the same year Neon but in 2L trim. It matched. gently caress their system is wrong. Called everywhere else, same deal, their catalogs are all wrong. Poked around on the internet and found other people running into this as well. Long story short the only direct fit struts that work are OE and Illuminas. The Illuminas are $250 each and three weeks out. OE's are $180 a pair and four weeks out. God damnit. It really sucked but I was forced to put my blown struts back on the car in the mean time.

The biggest kick in the crotch was that they bolted up perfectly so I didn't find out until the end of the day.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Finally got the bitch pressed in. The sockets/threaded bolt/washers method is surprisingly easy and effective. :woop:

never again

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The only time I did that job the bushing was so hosed the metal sleeve just fell straight out, and the hosed up bush had enlarged the hole so the polybush went straight in by hand. The only job the PO made easier for me. :smug:

gently caress lazy PO's why the gently caress did you just remove the air filter you gently caress

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Man I wish. That sumbitch was so seized in mine it took lots of fire, prising, and chopping. The pressing wasn't so bad once I tweaked it just right but O Lord was there a lot of time and money spent in the process. I guess next time I'll have all the tools and knowledge ready to go but there will not be an occasion to use either if I can help it.

As a bonus there were no leftover screws or bolts and the car drives straight with no worrying noises or motions. :toot:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Oil change done. No jacks and a 5 gallon bucket.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Four wheel brake rotors + pads + caliper service, also put summer tires on. I'm looking forward to when one of my two sets of tires wear out because my winter tires are on cool alloys and my summers are on lovely steelies with factory wheel covers. I could switch them while both sets of tires are good but really, :effort:

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Broke it's cherry :pervert: ... :(

(100,000 kilometres, also didn't realise how poo poo that picture was, gently caress).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fingerling posted:

Broke it's cherry :pervert: ... :(

(100,000 kilometres, also didn't realise how poo poo that picture was, gently caress).

60,000 miles? Pffft. My truck's at 292k right now, 470k km.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Finally got the bitch pressed in. The sockets/threaded bolt/washers method is surprisingly easy and effective. :woop:

never again
Are those size stickers on your sockets? Is that an after market thing so you can see them better or what?

Also the lower bushes on the rear shocks of the Niva I Resorted to vaseline, a hand sledge and pushing / twisting for ages to get enough bolt through to engage the nut on the other side of the rear axle, then just forcing it all through by tightening the nut. How the gently caress was I meant to get a bolt with a square larger diameter lip back through the bushings. It worked though. It's kind of nice not to get all :psyduck: when I look at the rear shocks now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Those are laser etched sockets. It's pretty awesome to have them, does get worn down a bit if you use them a lot though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kastein posted:

Those are laser etched sockets. It's pretty awesome to have them, does get worn down a bit if you use them a lot though.

Correct. Got the whole set (consisting of a half inch drive ratchet and twenty-ish sockets, half SAE and half metric) for like 20-25 bucks at Harbor Freight. They can be pretty awesome as long as you understand that not all of what they have is awesome.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Claybar'd my car for the first time. That poo poo is magic.

All of my shiny black window trim had weird iridescence from oil/sap/whatever and that poo poo came right off with some detail spray and clay. Looks brand new.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Didn't claybar, but I did wash and wax mom's Avalon for mother's day. Did my car too.

Her car looks pretty drat good for 10 1/2 years old (2003, built 10/02, almost 130k on it), though the headlights are pretty hazy on it. One of them is also fogging up anytime it goes through a wash/rain, so I'll probably replace one and polish the other for her soon.

Stepdad was supposed to help me do her car, so it would be a gift from both of us. He said he was too tired, then finally wandered out just as I'm finishing the last bit of the car. Jackass..

Next paycheck will be changing the serpentine belt on my car, along with plugs and the primary O2 sensor (maybe the tensioner too). I get an occasional squeal after going through a puddle in my car, with an accompanying dimming of the lights/flicker of the alternator light. Mileage has been dismal - last tank was 100% highway, with the cruise turned on for most of it.. and I still only wound up getting about 27 mpg.. it's rated 32-35 highway (depending which source you check). My city mileage is 22-23, Avalon gets 19-22 when I drive it in the city... :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 13, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Part two of my rusty adventure!

More layers and putty 1 by Execudork, on Flickr
Second coat of POR-15.

More layers and putty 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Third coat. The newspaper was useless. Oh well.

More layers and putty 3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Putty.

The POR-15 kit comes with epoxy putty, which is actually really nice to work with. It's water based so clean-up is easy, you don't need to wear gloves (just wash up well afterwards, of course), and keeping it soft and pliable is just a matter of keeping your fingers wet. It says it cures in as little as an hour; I'll get started on the sanding tomorrow morning, I think.

After the putty I put a couple of steaks and a bottle of red wine in my bag and went to my GF's house. It's nice being walking distance away.

Requisite odd coincidence: the first song to come up on my mp3 player was "Made to Last" by Semisonic, which wikipedia tells me was used in some VW commercials. Seems somehow mildly ironic given the comments on this little project of mine so far.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ExecuDork posted:

Part two of my rusty adventure!

Requisite odd coincidence: the first song to come up on my mp3 player was "Made to Last" by Semisonic, which wikipedia tells me was used in some VW commercials. Seems somehow mildly ironic given the comments on this little project of mine so far.

haha

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Got sick of the lovely job the PO did hacking up the stock bezel in my Magnum and the GIANT resulting blankness from the original din and a half radio, so I found a navigation bezel and went double din.

Actually had no idea that Bluetooth supported song titles now, which makes google music much more usable in the car. Radio has also awesome pandora support for Android, its too bad its only Pandora and not Slacker or Spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Mighty Horse posted:

Got sick of the lovely job the PO did hacking up the stock bezel in my Magnum and the GIANT resulting blankness from the original din and a half radio, so I found a navigation bezel and went double din.

Actually had no idea that Bluetooth supported song titles now, which makes google music much more usable in the car. Radio has also awesome pandora support for Android, its too bad its only Pandora and not Slacker or Spotify.

Do you have any before pictures? Either way that looks really sharp, good job! I've been toying with the idea of going double-DIN myself but I'm cheap...